maintenance, care, compatibility
Why do plants in an aquarium acquire an unnatural appearance? If you notice a black or brown-brown coating on them, this is a signal that processes in the reservoir are undermining the ecosystem.
When the plants are covered with black bloom – immediately resort to decisive action to eliminate it.
Black scurf on plants can appear as a result of infection with the so-called “black beard”. This is a dark brown alga, which covers the leaf plates of plants, soil, glass and decorations. Thin threads of dark shade on plants does not look aesthetically pleasing.
Blackbeard can damage the plant, causing it to fade quickly.
The alga is rapidly spreading, and it is hard to fight it. Some chemical means and dimming of the light can give a partial result, but do not eliminate the root of the problem. For the destruction of the beard need to include comprehensive measures.
The first thing to do is regularly update the water, from 10 to 25% of the total volume of the aquarium. There should be no nitrates and phosphates in the water; make measurements with indicators before pouring into the aquarium.
The second procedure, which will help to eliminate black scurf in the aquarium, is to clean the soil from the remnants of food, to clean the dead leaves of plants. Next, you should increase the power of lighting up to 1 W per liter of water, turn on the light for 12 hours.
Additional help will be provided by some species of snails and fish that can clean the aquarium from algae and their livelihoods.
It is important to control the proportions of the feed: if you give the fish more food, then the non-eaten remains will dissolve, the level of ammonia in the water will increase. You can plant in the ground fast-growing plant species that absorb nutrients well. The first sign that the alga dies off – changing its color to faded.
Over time, the affected beard will disappear.
The universal remedy for aquarium black beard is on sale – it is JBL Algol. It in a few days will destroy fouling that formed on the surfaces.
To make the drug in the tank according to the instructions.
It is considered to be completely impossible to remove from the aquarium a dark bloom in the form of a black beard, but there are a number of additional measures that will help reduce its growth. The main thing is not to settle a lot of fish in a close tank.
To oppress the beard, you can use the supply of CO2 (carbon dioxide). In order to avoid infection by this pest, when buying a plant, carefully inspect its stalks and leaves.
The slightest swaying of black beard hairs and brushes when moving or submerging in water indicates that it is impossible to buy a plant.
If conservative methods of dealing with black bloom do not help, then serious measures should be taken:
- Transfer the fish to another, previously prepared aquarium.
- Pull out all the plants along with the ground.
- Rinse the soil thoroughly under water, then boil it or calcined in an oven at 300 degrees Celsius.
- The aquarium walls should be washed and wiped with cotton wool dipped in potassium permanganate solution, then washed several times with glass.
- Start the aquarium again, having examined all the plants. Affected areas of the plant can be removed. Or take their uninfected shoots, re-plant in a separate container and grow.
- It is better to plant new and healthy plants in the newly launched aquarium.
See how to get rid of black beard.
There are so-called “biological” ways of dealing with harmful algae.
- Reduce the number of fish in the tank, you can distribute them to different aquariums.
- Turn off filtration and aeration. After that, the remaining organic matter in the water gets on the black beard tassels.
- If snails live in the aquarium, they should be removed immediately. The fact is that on their shells a beard feels fine. Reinfestation of the aquarium may occur. You need to take melang from the aquarium at night, when the snails crawl and sit on the aquarium walls.
- Temporarily do not feed fish with dry feed. During the fight against parasitic alga, do not give your pets even branded feed in the form of flakes or tablets. It is advisable at this time to feed them with live, washed food (bloodworms, pipeworm, pipe worker), or frozen daphnia. Portions should be such that the fish eat them in 3-5 minutes.
Often children are called Pochemuchkas, because everything is interesting for them, everything is curious and you need to get an answer to everything.
The same situation is with newcomers aquarists. In the new aquarium, biological processes are beginning to take an active course, along the way a lot of questions arise, incidents and “abnormal situations” occur.
In confirmation of this, I will cite statistics. The query “Why an aquarium …” is being driven into more than 15,000 people every month into the Yandex search engine! On the Internet, including on our website, many articles have been written that respond to the “why-the-questions” beginners.
But, they are all scattered. In this article, I would like to put everything together and make some kind of starting point for all questions starting with “Why an aquarium …” So,