maintenance, care, compatibility
With the help of an aquarium your home will be filled with beauty, comfort and warmth of exotic reservoirs. Aquarium is a great place to observe beautiful fish and calm meditation. However, a damaged tank can ruin both your mood and the health of its inhabitants.
Sometimes the water goes out and it stinks like a swamp. Muddy water spoils the impression, and makes the nursery unfit for further use.
The problem requires an immediate solution, which involves finding out the cause and its immediate elimination.
The main reasons why the water from the aquarium smells unpleasant, are indicated below:
- Irregular cleaning of the tank or poor cleaning (filtration);
- Improper aeration, due to which the water is not saturated with sufficient oxygen;
- Unsuitable aquarium plants;
- Nursery overpopulation – little water is allocated to one adult animal;
- Overfeeding fish, reptiles or amphibians;
- Feeding pets low-quality food;
- The sudden death of the inhabitants of the reservoir, the body goes dead and decomposes;
- The appearance of sludge in the soil and water.
In the aquarium, the liquid is rotting and the marsh stinks – how to clean the water?
Did you find out why the aquarium stinks, but you are not exactly sure what to do? Proper cleaning of the fish nursery is your main assistant! When all the above tips have not led to the expected result, you will have to make a new plan to save the reservoir and its inhabitants.
It consists in the correct cleaning of the container from harmful impurities and parasites, which are the main causes of an unpleasant smell. Before capital cleaning prepare such tools:
- at least 5-10 liter jars with infused water of appropriate parameters for the temporary settlement of fish;
- net, scraper and sponge;
- big bucket;
- special liquid to remove contamination from aquarium glass (available in stores);
- aquarium pump;
- pH adjuster.
Remove all animals from the nursery with a net by placing them in a jar of water. Disconnect the tank from the supply of current, light, turn off the filter and aerator.
Rinse and clean the sponge. Use a scraper and a sponge to clean the windows, removing plaque, algae and other droppings from them.
Take the pump, lower one end into the bucket, the second into the tank with dirty water, then pump out from 20 to 50% of all the water, depending on when it was last changed. Put gauze on the pump, and run it along the bottom of the ground, the air will make the bottom siphon.
After cleaning, remove all decorations.
The scenery should be pulled out and processed, leaving them in a separate container with a little salted water (1 teaspoon per 20 liters) or scalding them with boiling water. If plaque forms on them, scrape it with an unnecessary toothbrush or gauze.
After processing, place the decorations on a clean cloth to dry, then reinstall in the aquarium.
Pour into the aquarium a new, clean water of the same parameters that fish and plants used to (temperature, pH, hardness). Infused water should be three days for chlorine to evaporate from it. Polish the outer glass of the tank (liquid for aquarium glass), and then reconnect all the devices.
After the procedure, gradually run the fish. Cleaning can be done in a few hours, the main thing – to adhere to accuracy.
Experienced breeders strongly advise settling in the nursery of the “orderlies” of the reservoir – freshwater snails, speckled catfish, mollies, antsistrusov, girinoheyl, labo, Japanese pond shrimps. The fishes living in the lower layers do an excellent job with the uneaten food that fell to the bottom, the snails eat carrion, and the shrimps and other fish mentioned above do an excellent job with algae.
When settling, you should consider compatibility with each other, then your aquarium will resemble a natural biotope, with crystal clear water and beautiful living creatures.
How to get rid of the smell in the aquarium :: should the aquarium smell like :: Apartment and cottage :: Other
Some novice aquarists are faced with this situation: recently changed water suddenly begins to emit a whole bunch of unpleasant odors. The solution to this problem depends on the cause of the stench, and there may be several ways out.
The question “how to restore the certificate of registration of ownership of 1/4 apartments, the type of registered right is a common shared ownership” – 1 answer
1. The first thing that can be done is to thoroughly clean the aquarium and everything that is in it (stones, shells, decorative castles, houses, etc.). Rinse the inside of the glass well, as even if at first glance they seem to be clean, they may still have a slippery water stain on them.
If a few days later from the aquarium again smells unpleasant, you need to look for more reasons in more detail.
2. First, determine which smell comes from your tank. If it smells a bit of mud or swamp, you can calm down. This fragrance means only that everything is in order with him and his inhabitants.
This aquarium should smell like a river.
3. If you feel completely different unpleasant odors – rotten eggs, onions or garlic, you must take decisive action. The smell of onions can produce some aquatic plants. For example, if in your aquarium cryptocarins live, there may be such a smell.
In this case, add to them a pair of ambulium bushes, a little hornpole, and a few hemianthus bushes. Unpleasant aroma should disappear.
4. The cause of the unpleasant the smell there may be impurities that accumulate at the bottom of the “pond” – these are both waste products of fish, and remnants of food. If the aquarium is too large and there is no possibility to wash it completely, just draw a primer siphon.
For this purpose, a special device is used in the form of a hose with a tip through which water passes, taking with it all the accumulated dirt.
5. Together with the ground siphon it is necessary to carry out the process of partial replacement of water. This will also help to heal the atmosphere and remove substances harmful to fish. This should be done twice a week, at the same time it is necessary to replace from 20 to 30% of the water in the aquarium.
You can use ordinary tap water, but it must be defended during the day.
6. Determine if the fish have enough oxygen. To do this, see if they float close to the surface, gasping for air.
In this case, you need to buy a good air compressor, which must constantly work, providing good aeration.
Unpleasant smell from the aquarium – the problem of many fish owners. Basically, beginner aquarists suffer from this.
As a result, the fish get sick and die, the aquarium deteriorates, and in the apartment there is a disgusting smell of rotten water.
In order to avoid these sad consequences, you need to monitor the condition of the water, and in case of an unpleasant smell, find the cause and eliminate it.
The first cause of smell is water spoilage from time to time. Aquarium should be periodically cleaned, change the water, wash the soil and plants.
The smaller the volume, the more frequently the water should be renewed.
The second reason why the water in the aquarium smells is food. Poor quality food leads to the deterioration of water.
Therefore, when a rapid odor is detected, you should try to buy food elsewhere or purchase other types of food for fish.
If, after changing the feed, the water still continues to quickly grow turbid and smell, then it is worth reducing the amount of food. After all, as you know, it is better not to feed, than to feed the aquatic inhabitants.
Excess feed settles to the bottom and causes microorganisms to appear, which spread the smell.
The next reason is overpopulation of the aquarium. This is a problem for beginners who want to place various kinds of fish in a small container, and then begin to wonder why the aquarium smells. Each fish needs its own space, which it loses with the appearance of new inhabitants.
In addition, every living thing releases feces, which leads to water pollution.
The reason for the smell of water can be some types of plants. This point should be clarified when buying in the store. Certain herbs are able to release a certain amount of a substance that causes water to rot.
It happens in small aquariums. In containers, however, large volumes of grass exposure are not noticeable.
The lack of oxygen in the water also leads to odor. Therefore it is worth buying a special compressor or filter with air circulation function.
A sufficient amount of oxygen in the water will keep it clean for a long time.