maintenance, care, compatibility
As a rule, this inhabitant of the underwater world comes to us in an aquarium by chance (with water from a pet shop, from purchased plants, etc.). Some lovers consider this snail to be a harmful parasite of an aquarium.
And you can understand them, because the coil snail multiplies in an aquarium with a geometric progression, and ultimately these snails hang in clusters on all the walls of the aquarium.
However, one should not forget that the reel is a useful sanitary order of the aquarium, besides, many fish enjoy eating them. And, to bring them (or control their number) is quite simple.
Snail reel – representative of freshwater mollusks. In nature, the coil is found everywhere around the globe.
Under natural conditions, snails live in shallow water, in slowly flowing and standing water bodies.
In the aquarium snail coils are found either brown or red. The sink is flat, twisted by a spiral.
The little body of the snail has an elongated conical shape, the same color as the shell. The shell of adult snails reaches – 35 millimeters in diameter and 10 millimeters thick.
To move, the snail uses a wide, flat foot, which is clearly visible outside the shell. On its head there are long horns, long, thin pair of tentacles, as well as eyes.
Snails do not need personal feeding in the general aquarium, as they feed on all sorts of remnants of aquarium life.
These snails are hermaphrodites and probably, therefore, they breed like “rabbits”. Caviar clutch is a flat transparent growth on the inside of a leaf of a plant.
And now the most interesting thing is how to get a snail out of a coil, phys, melania, etc., or to control its numbers?
Having read a bunch of sites on this topic, I was amazed! As a way to get rid of snails coils offered a million options, some even offer output them with current – dropping the wires into the aquarium ))) Hmm … really ….
Here you have a proven and 100% way:
1. Buy a banana on the market.
2. Eat a banana.
3. Leave the banana peel in the sun or battery so that it is completely black.
4. At night, throw a rotten banana peel into an aquarium with snail coils.
5. And in the morning … voila. All coils on a banana peel.
You just have to get and shake the snails from the banana peel in the urn.
P.S. For 2 nights and 2 bananas, I completely saved my aquarium from snails reels.
Well, in general, in pet shops a lot of special preparations are sold for hatching snails, here they are:
Sera snail ex
Sera snail collect
Tropical LIMNA TOX
JBL LimCollect II
Air conditioning Aquacons against snails ”
Keep in mind that all these preparations contain copper, which is dangerous not only for snails, but also for fish. Strictly follow the dosage!
And yet the banana peel is not your chemistry (you do not risk disrupting the ecosystem of the aquarium), besides specials. drug costs money.
In confirmation of the above and the effectiveness of getting rid of snails in an aquarium using a banana peel, I post a visual series of photos:
ON THE NEXT MORNING SNAIL ALL ON A BANANA
Video about snail coil
Medic or pest: what you need to know about the cochlea
Snail coil – a frequent visitor to aquariums. Someone starts them intentionally, but more often these small aquarian mollusks appear randomly – small snails or their eggs can be brought along with the plants.
The coil seems to be a very ambiguous inhabitant of the aquarium and has a number of both positive and negative qualities.
Despite the fact that snails most often appear in an aquarium by chance, some aquarists consciously leave them, believing that the benefits of them outweigh the harm.
Indisputable decorative function of these snails. Coils – pretty cute aquarium decorations.
It is interesting to watch them, and their presence in the aquarium with fish creates a more natural look.
It happens that the coils, as well as other snails, are called the orderlies of the aquarium. This is partly true.
Coil snails eat rotten algae leaves, without touching healthy ones. They collect the remnants of fallen food, thereby saving the aquarium from debris.
Also, the coils are able to remove the film from the surface of the water and clean the aquarium wall.
Snails are becoming an indicator of water pollution, prompting that it is time to start cleaning or reduce the amount of feed for fish. If the population of coils has grown noticeably – this is the signal.
Some aquarists breed coils in their aquariums as fish food. Many fishes enjoy eating mollusks with pleasure, and the fecundity of this species makes it easy to maintain abundance.
Despite the fact that the benefits of snails are quite large, many people prefer to get rid of mollusks, barely finding the intruder.
Coils are very prolific. They are hermaphroditic, and only a pair of snails is enough to get a whole flock of mollusks.
Rapid reproduction leads to an increase in the number of their waste products, which are harmful and pollute the aquarium.
If the snails do not have enough food, they will take over the aquarium plants. And not for rotten leaves, but for healthy ones.
Voracious coils quickly destroy the plant.
Snail-coil can cause fish disease. Often this happens when the snail is brought into the aquarium conditions from the local water body.
In this situation, the fish will have to be treated with special preparations that the snails most likely will not suffer.
In general, the overgrown flock of snails spoils the appearance of the aquarium, hanging in whole clusters on the walls and plants.
It has already been said above that snails are hermaphrodites, and their reproduction rate is very high. One or two snails can create the entire population.
At the same time, it is quite simple to control the number of snails, especially if the fish that eat mollusks live in the aquarium.
Caviar coil looks like a dense transparent film with dots inside. Usually it is deposited on the lower surface of the leaf of a plant, aquarium walls or stones. This film is very dense, which does not allow other inhabitants to damage or eat caviar.
After about 2-3 weeks, the coil roe pecks, and snail crumbs appear in the aquarium.
If a snail accidentally caught in an aquarium does not cause delight, it can be bred. There are several ways: some can only reduce the number, others – completely get rid of them.
- Subscription in the aquarium fish antsitrusov. They are excellent cleaners of glass and the surface of plants, and only they can clean off the teeth and caviar of the coil. Thus, reproduction and population growth will stop. To speed up the process, fish that feed on mollusks are also colonized in the aquarium. Macropods, tetraodons – they will gladly take on snails. But not everyone can share these fish. If the fish in the aquarium are incompatible with these species, they can suffer and die.
- There is also a species of shrimp, a macrobrachium that loves to taste snails, so it is often used to get rid of clams. But shrimp can threaten sluggish fish, so you need to be careful with it. Strangely enough, you can fight with coils with the help of another mollusk, the predatory snail Helena, which hunts all the small mollusks in the aquarium.
- Remove snails manually. To do this, the bait is placed in an aquarium: a leaf of lettuce or cabbage, scalded with boiling water, or a blackened banana peel. The coils will not be able to resist such a treat and will soon stick it over completely. The snail bait is gently removed from the aquarium. This scheme needs to be done several times.
- Chemical exposure. There are a number of drugs that can be purchased at the pet store. This method requires great care – some substances that make up the product can harm not only molluscs, but also other inhabitants of the aquarium. Usually, when using chemistry, fish are removed, but the established biobalance will in any case be disturbed.
- The most radical way is the total flushing of the entire aquarium: plants, containers, decorative elements, ground boiling. This method is very laborious and long, but it allows you to get rid of snails completely.
Snails – not the most common resident of the aquarium world. As you can see, they can be equally useful and extremely harmful.
But with careful attention and proper control of the coil will not be a problem for your aquarium.
This yellow snail ampoule is well known to any aquarist. Perhaps, only a beginner lover of the aquarium world, entering the pet shop wonders about this yellow, creeping inhabitant of the aquarium.
This article will help expand information about this yellow snail – “aquarium nurse”. In it you will find answers to many of your questions.
Briefly about the most interesting about ampoules:
– The concept of ampulyaria – includes a whole family of freshwater snails, dividing into clan and living all over the world.
– Ampularia sizes from 5 to 15 cm.
– Yellow snails live 1-4 years (depending on water temperature and other conditions).
– Comfortable water temperature for ampoules 22-24C and above. By the way, this temperature of aquarium water is comfort and for many aquarium fish, so there are simply no difficulties in their joint maintenance.
On the contrary, from such a symbiosis there are only pluses.
– Snails breathe atmospheric air through a siphon tube, but they also have gills.
– Snails ampullaria different-sex.
– The snail has a cover of the mouth of the shell, which is necessary to protect against aggressors and to wait out adverse conditions.
– If there is little calcium in the aquarium water, the yellow shell of the ampoule will collapse.
– When buying snails, it is better to take small ampoules. First of all, the bigger the snail is, the older it is, which means you will have less life, and secondly, small snails are much quicker than adults.
Description of the yellow snail – Ampularia:
Ampulyary to keep in a normal aquarium with fish. The snail is compatible with many species of fish, but it should be borne in mind that some fish strive to pinch their mustache, some fish eat molluscs. In view of what, I recommend keeping ampulyarii with peaceful and non-aggressive fish, and if in doubt, consult the sellers of the pet shop.
Personal experience suggests that ampulyaria does not live for a long time with gouras and some cichlids (as the latter simply do not give the snails food to go). Sometimes, Yellow snails bite even seemingly innocuous Goldfish.
What to do with it? You have two choices: either ampulyarii can be planted, or you can leave them to feed the fish.
If you notice that snails are being harassed by ampulyaries and don’t do anything – you know, there are only 1 week left for live yellow clams.
The aquarium can be the minimum size, as long as it is with a lid. Otherwise, one night while walking into the kitchen, you can hear the characteristic crunch under your feet.
You should also take care of the airspace under the hood. First, snails breathe atmospheric air.
And secondly, ampulyarias, as a rule, lay their eggs in the airspace (for this, the distance between the lid and the water should be at least 10 cm.).
Unlike many fish, ampullar is not whimsical in content. And the water parameters do not matter. Containing the fish, you install them, in any case, the filter and, as a rule, if you are not lazy, regularly replace some of the water with fresh water – this is ample enough for an ampoule.
What should be paid attention to is the calcium content in the aquarium water; if it is low, then the ampulian sink will collapse. In my aquarium, I scattered small seashells, which contributes to the saturation of water with calcium and increases its rigidity.
It is also recommended to add marble chips, limestone chips, in addition to pet stores there are special preparations for increasing the hardness of the water.
Concerning nutrition, I personally don’t feed my ampullaries, since they are in fact omnivorous and are content with the remains of fish feed, plants, etc. By the way, ampulyarias are excellent orderlies of an aquarium, they do not disdain to “stick” to dead fish and other dead organics.
They like rotten banana peel.
Regarding breeding. The stimulus for mating is an increase in temperature in the aquarium and good nutrition.
As a rule, for this they start a “flock” of yellow snails, since it is virtually impossible to distinguish between the sex of a snail.
Well, then. One fine morning on the wall of the aquarium or the lid you will find a laying of caviar, which the female postponed at night.
About three weeks later, the first baby snails appear from the roe, which, by eating the clutch, provide their way into the wild.
It is desirable to set off babies from the general aquarium, as some fish are not averse to try them for dinner. In order not to catch the newly emerged, some aquarists transfer the masonry to a separate aquarium in advance (moisten the masonry, gently shift and transfer).
Well, after that, small ampouleries are completely independent. Particularly caring owners first feed them with pounded fish food.
Photo-review of beautiful photos with yellow snail ampoule
In the article we will talk about the most common types of aquarium snails, about the conditions of their maintenance and role. Which type is best for your tank?
Which are beneficial and which can damage the ecosystem?
You decided to try yourself as a novice aquarist, bought fish and the necessary equipment and suddenly thought: would your pets be boring? Of the many friendly neighbors for the inhabitants of the snail aquarium – just perfect.
However, if at the word snail you have an inexorable picture of eating pests on a summer cottage, you urgently need information. Aquarium snails can simply decorate your home water, and can bring real benefits or cause great harm if they are not properly maintained or do not control their numbers in time.
Let’s figure it out together.
The most interesting representative of snails in aquariums is the snail Helena. Her “trick” is that she is a predator, and her other favorite clams are her favorite delicacy.
That is why aquarists resort to the help of Helen, when their aquariums flood the snails.
Helena is home to Southeast Asia. The snail lives in fresh clean rivers, lakes and ponds with sandy and muddy bottom. In the aquarium conditions snail perfectly adapts.
Helena does not cause much trouble: it is easy to feed and breed.