maintenance, care, compatibility
Medic or pest: what you need to know about the cochlea
Snail coil – a frequent visitor to aquariums. Someone starts them intentionally, but more often these small aquarian mollusks appear randomly – small snails or their eggs can be brought along with the plants.
The coil seems to be a very ambiguous inhabitant of the aquarium and has a number of both positive and negative qualities.
Despite the fact that snails most often appear in an aquarium by chance, some aquarists consciously leave them, believing that the benefits of them outweigh the harm.
Indisputable decorative function of these snails. Coils – pretty cute aquarium decorations.
It is interesting to watch them, and their presence in the aquarium with fish creates a more natural look.
It happens that the coils, as well as other snails, are called the orderlies of the aquarium. This is partly true. Coil snails eat rotten algae leaves, without touching healthy ones.
They collect the remnants of fallen food, thereby saving the aquarium from debris. Also, the coils are able to remove the film from the surface of the water and clean the aquarium wall.
Snails are becoming an indicator of water pollution, prompting that it is time to start cleaning or reduce the amount of feed for fish. If the population of coils has grown noticeably – this is the signal.
Some aquarists breed coils in their aquariums as fish food. Many fishes enjoy eating mollusks with pleasure, and the fecundity of this species makes it easy to maintain abundance.
Despite the fact that the benefits of snails are quite large, many people prefer to get rid of mollusks, barely finding the intruder.
Coils are very prolific. They are hermaphroditic, and only a pair of snails is enough to get a whole flock of mollusks.
Rapid reproduction leads to an increase in the number of their waste products, which are harmful and pollute the aquarium.
If the snails do not have enough food, they will take over the aquarium plants. And not for rotten leaves, but for healthy ones.
Voracious coils quickly destroy the plant.
Snail-coil can cause fish disease. Often this happens when the snail is brought into the aquarium conditions from the local water body.
In this situation, the fish will have to be treated with special preparations that the snails most likely will not suffer.
In general, the overgrown flock of snails spoils the appearance of the aquarium, hanging in whole clusters on the walls and plants.
It has already been said above that snails are hermaphrodites, and their reproduction rate is very high. One or two snails can create the entire population.
At the same time, it is quite simple to control the number of snails, especially if the fish that eat mollusks live in the aquarium.
Caviar coil looks like a dense transparent film with dots inside. Usually it is deposited on the lower surface of the leaf of a plant, aquarium walls or stones. This film is very dense, which does not allow other inhabitants to damage or eat caviar.
After about 2-3 weeks, the coil roe pecks, and snail crumbs appear in the aquarium.
If a snail accidentally caught in an aquarium does not cause delight, it can be bred. There are several ways: some can only reduce the number, others – completely get rid of them.
- Subscription in the aquarium fish antsitrusov. They are excellent cleaners of glass and the surface of plants, and only they can clean off the teeth and caviar of the coil. Thus, reproduction and population growth will stop. To speed up the process, fish that feed on mollusks are also colonized in the aquarium. Macropods, tetraodons – they will gladly take on snails. But not everyone can share these fish. If the fish in the aquarium are incompatible with these species, they can suffer and die.
- There is also a species of shrimp, a macrobrachium that loves to taste snails, so it is often used to get rid of clams. But shrimp can threaten sluggish fish, so you need to be careful with it. Strangely enough, you can fight with coils with the help of another mollusk, the predatory snail Helena, which hunts all the small mollusks in the aquarium.
- Remove snails manually. To do this, the bait is placed in an aquarium: a leaf of lettuce or cabbage, scalded with boiling water, or a blackened banana peel. The coils will not be able to resist such a treat and will soon stick it over completely. The snail bait is gently removed from the aquarium. This scheme needs to be done several times.
- Chemical exposure. There are a number of drugs that can be purchased at the pet store. This method requires great care – some substances that make up the product can harm not only molluscs, but also other inhabitants of the aquarium. Usually, when using chemistry, fish are removed, but the established biobalance will in any case be disturbed.
- The most radical way is the total flushing of the entire aquarium: plants, containers, decorative elements, ground boiling. This method is very laborious and long, but it allows you to get rid of snails completely.
Snails – not the most common resident of the aquarium world. As you can see, they can be equally useful and extremely harmful.
But with careful attention and proper control of the coil will not be a problem for your aquarium.
Planorbis snails enter the home water reservoir in different ways, but more often the appearance of the mollusk among aquarian inhabitants is a real surprise for the owner. Now he can only regulate the population of shellfish in the tank and ensure the comfort of their coexistence with its other inhabitants. Snails – unpretentious creatures that do not require special care:
- being tolerant to a wide range of temperatures, snails are quite satisfied with the temperature regime of water that they create for tropical fish, that is, within 22-28 ° C;
- there is no need for special feeding of mollusks, since they are content with food debris from other underwater inhabitants, green bloom on the pond glasses, rotten fragments of reservoir plantations (young mollusks, as a rule, keep it on a rotten leaf of a plant).
Unlike other varieties of gastropods, the coil is able to move along the surface of a reservoir with a shell turned upside down.
The possibility of such a method of movement is due to the presence of air in it, let there by the snail itself. An additional support for the mollusk in this case is the film on the surface of the aquarium water, formed by waste products of bacteria or the intrinsic force of the surface tension of the water.
If any danger occurs, releasing air from the shell, the coil quickly sinks to the bottom so as not to be eaten by a predatory fish. This snail action is performed at the reflex level for self-preservation.
The fact is that the clam is a favorite dish for certain species of aquarium fish, which easily break through its saving shell. In some cases, the owners of domestic aquarium tanks with an excessive growth of the mollusk population are specially planted in the reservoir of these types of fighter fish so that they thin out the rows of snails, balancing their number.
The red coil in the aquarium is a snail that everyone knows
It is known that coils can be carriers of parasites during life, which infect and even kill fish. But it is in nature, and in an aquarium the chance with snails to transfer parasites is much lower than with food.
Even in frozen food, not to mention live food, various parasites and pathogens can survive.
So I wouldn’t worry about that. If it is very important for you to get snails, but you are afraid to bring parasites, then you can bring in the aquarium caviar coils, which is not a carrier.
The coils are hermaphroditic, which means that they also have sexual characteristics of both sexes, but they need a pair for reproduction. In order for the coils in your tank to become a lot, just two snails.
It is clear that the more of them initially, the faster they multiply. You just do not need to do anything for this, run it and forget it.
They will do everything themselves. Especially quickly the coils flood the aquarium if you overfeed the fish.
Feed residues are an excellent nutritional base on which they grow and develop.
But even if you only got one snail, the chances that it will soon be divorced are very high. Do not forget, they are hermaphrodite and can fertilize themselves.
Or it can already be fertilized and soon lay eggs. Caviar looks like a transparent drop inside which dots are visible.
Caviar of coils can be anywhere, on stones, on the filter, on the walls of the aquarium, even on the shell of other snails. It is covered with a gelatinous composition to protect small snails.
Caviar coils peck for 14–30 days depending on water temperature and conditions in the aquarium.
Coils live from one to two years, rarely more. It is often difficult to understand – the coil is already dead or just resting.
In that case, you need to … smell it. The deceased quickly comes decomposition and strong smell. No matter how strange it may sound, however, it is important to control the death of snails, especially in small aquariums.
The fact is that they can thoroughly spoil the water, as they quickly begin to decompose.
They prefer warm water, 22-28 C. Coils eat almost everything – vegetables, rotting plants, fodder for fish, dead fish. You can feed vegetables – lettuce, cucumbers, zucchini, cabbage.
All this must be boiled for a minute in boiling water and give small pieces.
There is nothing difficult in keeping the coils in the aquarium. Simply start them, they will find food themselves. By the way, very often the snails get into the aquarium together with the plants or the decor on which they lay eggs.
So if suddenly you have snails – do not be surprised, it is natural.
To identify a snail of this species is easy. The coil has a shell in the form of a spiral, its color can be different shades of brown and reddish. The mollusk moves through the broad leg, on its head are the tentacles with light-sensitive elements.
The coil is a herbivorous individual, it eats almost everything that is in the aquarium. This may be a green coating on the glass and stones, the remnants of not eaten feed, rotting plants.
Several varieties of gastropods live in natural water bodies, some of them also live in an aquarium. It is believed that in natural conditions the cochlea snails carry parasites that can enter the body of fish and cause their death.
If you get these inhabitants specifically, then this problem will be avoided. The coils live on average up to two years, they multiply very quickly and are ideal pets for those who started breeding fish and settling in an aquarium for the first time.
Coils can be considered as a kind of control over the quality of water. If there is a massive rise of snails to the top in the aquarium, it means there is not enough oxygen in the water.
Coil snails are divorced very easily, and it will not be difficult to care for them. To make these inhabitants of the reservoirs feel great in the artificial environment, you will need:
- Warm water in the range of 22-28 degrees.
- Nutrition. In fact, this item does not have to perform. Coils perfectly enough for the life of all remnants of food, plants or dead fry in an aquarium. This allows us to consider snails as a kind of water orderlies.
Sometimes snails lack calcium in the water. This can be determined by slow growth, the absence of new young individuals, flaws on the shell itself.
This problem is solved quite simply – on the ground it is necessary to put sash from large shells or to enter into the water aquarium calcium preparations.
When buying snails in pet stores there is a small risk of getting parasites to them in the appendage. It can be both worms dangerous for fish and leeches. In order to prevent the infestation of water by these parasites, you must first place the acquired mollusks in quarantine.
To do this, it is enough to take a small jar of water and hold snails in them for at least two weeks. Infected individuals will be visible in appearance and behavior, they will be removed, and healthy individuals will be placed in an aquarium.
The snail coil is a hermaphrodite, that is, theoretically it does not matter whether the male or the female falls into the water. Reproduction will occur even if there is one clam in the aquarium.
Coils lay eggs on glass, stones, leaves of plants. Eggs ripen within 10-30 days, usually depends on the water temperature.
When breeding coil snails, two problems arise, they either over-reproduce, or, on the contrary, fail to achieve their growth.
- If too many mollusks appear in the aquarium, you can reduce the diet of fish. With a shortage of food, most aquarium fish eat eggs and thus the snail population decreases. You can also put in a metal mesh banana skin, a piece of apple and leave overnight. This trap will attract dozens of clams, which can then be thrown out.
- If the coil, on the contrary, does not differ in fertility, then several individuals need to be transplanted into a separate container. In the water will need to add food, the remnants of plant food. During quarantine, all sedentary inhabitants are removed, and healthy snails are resettled in an aquarium.
It is believed that about 5-7 snails are enough for about a 10 liter aquarium. With such a number, the water is well cleaned, if there are more shellfish, they will begin to eat the plants.
Therefore, the number of snails needs to be controlled.
These are freshwater mollusks. In aquariums, you can most often see brown and red coils.
They are being brought in not at all in order to amaze others, as they look rather inconspicuous (a sink about 36 mm in diameter and a wide leg), but in order to give a natural pond to a domestic pond.
They are interesting because they can crawl not only on hard surfaces, but also on the surface of the water, turning down the sink. Coils live in the aquarium from 2 to 4 years, but they manage to give life to several generations of snails.
Snail aquarium – useful and beautiful creatures that can be useful in the care of the tank. They are harmless, omnivorous, unpretentious in content. However, due to their nature, they multiply very quickly.
Experienced aquarists and newcomers are sometimes confused by the fact that there are so many snails. How to get rid of snails in an aquarium so that it does not disturb the biological equilibrium of the aquatic environment, and does not harm the fish and plants?
- The chemical method – you buy in the pet store special drugs, because of which these animals die. Is it worth it to do? This method is best used as a last resort, as the rapid death of animals will disturb the aquatic ecosystem. Chemicals have side effects – a bacterial outbreak, diseases of fish and plants, changes in water parameters. Drugs can be toxic to all living things. Do not use drugs that are not intended to fight snails. Means to help remove snails: Tropical Hydra-Tox, ZMF Limnacid, Sera Snailpur, Sera snail-Ex, JBL Schnecktol, Aquacon against snails, Dajana Molucid.
- Set traps for mollusks – you can buy traps in the pet store, and do it yourself. Prepare a leaf of cabbage, scald it. Put the bottom of the aquarium on a plate. In the morning the cabbage leaf and the plate will be in snails, which are easy to clean. A regular procedure will reduce their population. If herbivorous fish do not allow cabbage to “live” until the morning, you can improve the way. Take a plastic bottle, make small holes in it, in which the fish will not fit, and the snails will easily crawl through them. Place scalded cabbage, lettuce leaves in a bottle, and flood it at the bottom of the tank. In the morning there will be a lot of these animals in the bottle.
See how to catch snails from the aquarium.
Fish – many fish love snails as a treat. However, well-fed fish will not eat mollusks.
We’ll have to underfed the fish, or plant them on a fasting day. Eat well snails tetradons, clown fights, macropods, gourami, catfish (eating their eggs).
What feed aquarium snails? Although the type of food depends on the specific type of snail, most of them are omnivores, they eat everything they can find. Usually snails eat rotting plants, dead fish, food debris and various algae.
In this way, they serve the aquarist – cleaning the aquarium from excess food residue, thereby maintaining cleanliness and lowering the level of toxins in the water.
Of course, different types of snails have disadvantages. The most common problem is that some species can spoil and even eat plants to the ground.
In addition, all the snails will eat fish eggs, if they can get to it and should not keep them in spawning.
The most frequent problem is that there are too many of them. We have already discussed this question in detail in the article – how to get rid of snails in an aquarium.
There are listed both the ways and causes of violent reproduction.
So, most often contain:
The coil is generally a classic snail, it can be found in almost any aquarium. It does not have any particular features, its small size, ease of reproduction and an interesting appearance have made it quite popular.
It is useful in moderation, does not cause excessive harm, only it spoils the appearance of the aquarium.
Ampulyaria is also quite common, but unlike coils, it is already quite demanding on the content. Since ampoules are one of the largest species of aquarium snails, they have a corresponding appetite. Can damage young and delicate plants with a lack of food.
The rest is beautiful, big, interesting.
Tilomelania – rapidly growing popularity of aquarium snails. But, besides the fact that tilomeleanii very beautiful, they are also very demanding on the conditions of detention.
They can rather be attributed to the exotic, which must be kept separately, and well cared for, than to simple species.
Melania – are common as coils, but differ from them not only in appearance, but also in lifestyle. Melania live in the ground, breed in the same place, which is beneficial to the aquarium, as they mix it.
But, they are prone to rapid growth, and getting rid of them is not so easy.
Neretina is a beautiful and very useful snail. Quite small, about 2 cm, neretina perfectly clean the aquarium from algae. I advise you to follow the link and watch the video as it happens.
Among the shortcomings – the price and a short lifespan, about a year.
Three types of neretin
Marisa is a real monster that can grow up to 6 cm or more. Large and very voracious, the marisa is not very suitable for general aquariums, as it eats away the plants at the root.
Helena is one of the most unusual species. The fact is that they eat … other snails.
If you have a lot of snails, then Helena is one of the ways to get rid of them. Details about the content of Helen on the link.
Fiza is also a very common snail. Small, easily propagated, lives in very harsh conditions.
Among the shortcomings, it can gnaw through holes in the leaves of rather hard plants, such as echinodorus. What spoils their appearance, so if you are a fan of plants, then it is better to get rid of nat.