maintenance, care, compatibility
Each aquarium needs periodic cleaning with water replacement, because without this procedure, all aquarium inhabitants may simply die. But pouring and pouring water into an aquarium with a ladle is long and inconvenient, so aquarists use a simpler way to drain water using a device like an aquarium siphon.
Its use allows not only to quickly drain the water, but also to do it without catching the fish.
siphon for aquarium
Novice aquarists, faced with the need to purchase a siphon, think that this is a very simple device that does not require instructions. But after the purchase, many have questions about the operation, which proves the need for knowledge of working with the siphon.
Based on this, it is necessary to understand the device of this device and methods of its use.
The aquarium siphon is a simple construction consisting of a straight or corrugated flexible tube and a funnel, which is sealed to one of the ends of the tube. Using the device can be done in two ways, but the first one requires quickness:
- So, the first way to “launch” the siphon is most familiar to drivers who drain gas from a tank with a drain hose. So do the siphon by inserting a funnel attached to the hose into the ground, and lowering the free side of the hose into a bucket or other container to collect dirty water. After that, the air in the tube is sucked by a person so that water can fill the vacant space. But just before the start of the water, it is necessary to sharply release the opening of the tube so that the liquid can flow freely into the bucket. If you do not show quickness, then you can sip polluted aquarium water.
- And some aquarists who know how to siphon the ground safely go a longer way. In this case, they siphon completely immersed in the aquarium, so that its entire cavity is filled with water. And then carefully, without removing the side of the hose with a funnel, lift the other side of the hose, tightly holding the hole with your finger. This is done so that the water does not flow back into the aquarium when the outlet is located above the water level in the glass container. After the clamped side of the hose is lowered into the bucket and open the hole so that the water began to drain. Knowing how the professionals in the aquarium siphon up the soil, beginners will be able to quickly overcome this not a tricky business, but how they choose to implement it at their own discretion.
Theoretically, knowing how to clean an aquarium with a siphon, the beginner lover of the water kingdom in practice faces problems that would not arise if he knew some of the nuances of this procedure:
- in the process of cleaning the aquarium soil it is necessary to ensure that the end of the hose without a funnel, lowered to drain into a bucket, must be below the water level in the aquarium, and the funnel itself should not even be partially removed from the water;
- water pressure will depend on how low the “drain” side of the hose is relative to the water level in the aquarium;
- the funnel attached to the hose must be inserted into the soil throughout its depth for better cleaning of the soil layer;
- the siphon for cleaning the aquarium should not be chosen anyhow, but in accordance with the capacity of the water world, since a large siphon is not suitable for a small aquarium and a small model will tire the aquarist by long draining large amounts of water;
- In addition, a small siphon in a large aquarium will not be able to lift the ground in the funnel to clean it, and a large device from a small tank may suck fry and small fish due to the powerful outflow of water.
So, on the basis of the above, it becomes clear how to use the siphon. It remains the case for shopping trips in search of this simple but necessary fixture. Search for a siphon, of course, is necessary in the store, which sells aquariums and additional equipment.
Often in such places you can find an electric siphon, which greatly simplifies the work of draining dirty water. This model works on batteries, providing power to a small motor.
At first glance, everything is easy and simple, but what should those people who do not have specialized stores nearby do? In this case, you can make a homemade siphon for the aquarium, which will cope with the task better than the factory. For this you need to get a rubber flexible hose and a small plastic bottle.
It is worth considering that the device created by your hands will have to be used according to the first method, since you don’t easily attach a pear to pump water.
Knowing how to make a siphon for an aquarium with his own hands, an aquarist relieves himself of the cost of buying a device, but if there is an opportunity to buy it, then is it worth it? And yet, how the siphon aquarium decides every owner of the water world itself, because the situations, needs and opportunities are different.
How to make a siphon for aquarium :: Equipment and accessories
Periodically, the aquarium needs cleaning and replacing part of the water with clean water. Without this procedure, the fish may die, because waste water and other contaminants accumulate in the water.
The easiest way to clean – siphon, with which you can easily drain the water without moving the fish to another container. To make siphon can be of improvised material.
1. Siphon – tube of small length. Make it from any hose, it should be about 50 cm long, but the diameter does not matter.
But the smaller the diameter, the longer the water will descend from aquarium. You can make a longer tube – it will be somewhat more convenient to drain.
2. If you have fry or small adult fish in your tank, put gauze on one end, which should be fixed with thread or with a regular rubber band. Small fish can escape with water through siphon, which is undesirable, because they can be scared and even die.
If you have large breeds of fish and they are larger than the diameter of the hose, you can not use gauze.
3. The principle of draining water siphonohm: insert the tube into the aquarium, create a negative pressure, put the other end of the tube in a container and drain the required amount of water. Replace drained water with clean water, but not water.
If you do not want to drain the air from the tube with your mouth, as you can swallow dirty water, you can fill the tube with water, plug the end with your finger and gently insert it into the aquarium. Release your finger and water will flow from the tank.