maintenance, care, compatibility
Every aquarist knows that not only water but also soil needs cleaning the aquarium. In order to eliminate all accumulated garbage from sand or stones, use a special device – a siphon for cleaning aquariums.
With it, you can easily remove the remnants of uneaten food, rotting algae particles and waste products of all underwater inhabitants. This cleaning is very useful, because it prevents the acidification of the soil, the formation of harmful hydrogen sulfide and ammonia in it.
When siphons for cleaning aquariums did not exist, the soil had to be removed, washed, and then poured back into place. However, this procedure had an adverse effect on the vital activity of beneficial bacteria in water.
Now this problem is solved.
Considering how the siphon for the aquarium works, it will not be too difficult to clean up the underwater kingdom. It is enough to immerse the hose in the ground and blow into the tube.
On the reverse of the return, all the garbage along with the water is poured into a vessel placed at the other end of the hose. At this time, the soil rises up to half of the wide pipe, and then safely sinks to the bottom.
Today, pet stores have a large variety of different types of siphons. However, their price is sometimes not attractive.
Therefore, the most intelligent aquarists decided to protect themselves from unnecessary expenses and came up with homemade siphons for aquariums.
The design of such a device is quite simple. In the original, it is a conventional hose to which a wide tube is attached at the end.
Many are trying to improve the model, and for convenience they attach an ordinary medical bulb to the edge of the hose, so that it does not have to blow into it, but it was enough to squeeze the bulb only several times. However, the effectiveness of this does not increase.
The most important element in the assembly of a siphon for an aquarium is a hose. For a capacity of 100 liters, fit a tube with a diameter of 10 mm. If you use a thicker, then during the “cleaning” you can not notice how much of the water will pour into the bucket before you clean the bottom.
To protect you from such troubles in our master class, we will show you how to make a 50 l siphon for an aquarium out of items that everyone probably has in the house. For this we need:
- hose diameter of 5 mm – 1 m;
- plastic water bottle – 1 pc;
- 10 dice syringe – 2 pcs;
- insulating tape;
- brass hose outlet – 1 pc;
siphon for aquarium
Novice aquarists, faced with the need to purchase a siphon, think that this is a very simple device that does not require instructions. But after the purchase, many have questions about the operation, which proves the need for knowledge of working with the siphon.
Based on this, it is necessary to understand the device of this device and methods of its use.
The aquarium siphon is a simple construction consisting of a straight or corrugated flexible tube and a funnel, which is sealed to one of the ends of the tube. Using the device can be done in two ways, but the first one requires quickness:
- So, the first way to “launch” the siphon is most familiar to drivers who drain gas from a tank with a drain hose. So do the siphon by inserting a funnel attached to the hose into the ground, and lowering the free side of the hose into a bucket or other container to collect dirty water. After that, the air in the tube is sucked by a person so that water can fill the vacant space. But just before the start of the water, it is necessary to sharply release the opening of the tube so that the liquid can flow freely into the bucket. If you do not show quickness, then you can sip polluted aquarium water.
- And some aquarists who know how to siphon the ground safely go a longer way. In this case, they siphon completely immersed in the aquarium, so that its entire cavity is filled with water. And then carefully, without removing the side of the hose with a funnel, lift the other side of the hose, tightly holding the hole with your finger. This is done so that the water does not flow back into the aquarium when the outlet is located above the water level in the glass container. After the clamped side of the hose is lowered into the bucket and open the hole so that the water began to drain. Knowing how the professionals in the aquarium siphon up the soil, beginners will be able to quickly overcome this not a tricky business, but how they choose to implement it at their own discretion.