maintenance, care, compatibility
What is siphon? In simple terms – this is an ordinary pump. The word siphon can also denote a vacuum phenomenon at the end of a pipe.
Actually, both of these concepts quite fully disclose the meaning of the siphon as a tool for pumping out liquid.
And in our case, the liquid (water) is pumped out along with dirt and waste. It follows from the above that the main part of this device is a suction tube.
The basic principle of operation of any aquarium siphon is quite simple:
- one end of the hose or tube falls close to the aquarium soil,
- and the other should be as low as possible from the bottom on the outside of the can above any net capacity.
It remains only to create a vacuum in the tube, but it is not difficult. Any experienced motorist at least once in his practice pumped out gasoline from the gas tank of a car with an ordinary rubber hose, creating a vacuum in it when air was sucked in by the mouth.
Similarly, you can do when you start aquarium vacuum cleaner.
Water with debris flows into the tube by gravity and is discharged into the prepared container. It remains only to let the dirty water settle, drain the purified water back into the aquarium, and remove the dirt.
There is nothing difficult, and all other improvements and auxiliary devices of professional siphons for cleaning the soil can be attributed to the results of scientific and technological progress.
An indispensable tool for any aquarist – a siphon for an aquarium. Maintaining cleanliness of the bottom is much more difficult than cleaning on land. Food particles, organic residues – all the garbage accumulates on the bottom, starting with time to decompose.
As a result, toxic substances that poison the inhabitants of the aquarium. Putting the soil in order is just as important as replacing water every week.
Previously, the soil had to be cleaned by thorough washing. But this method is not only too troublesome, but also dangerous. Complete washing of the soil seriously disrupts the biological equilibrium, which over time is established in the aquarium.
Moreover, removal of silt from the bottom harms aquarium plants for which it is a nutrient medium.
You need to clean any aquarium, be it a huge 200-liter tank or a tiny nano garden. To decide which siphon to choose, you should carefully examine the parameters of the device.
Experienced aquarists know very well how to use this device for cleaning, and what nuances should be taken into account. But beginners may have a number of difficulties, which, however, are easily solved.
- To the water in the cleaning process merged, you need to constantly monitor the end of the hose without a funnel. Arrange it correctly: below the water level in the aquarium itself.
- The lower this end of the hose is, the stronger the water pressure will be.
- For better soil cleaning, the funnel or cylinder is immersed to the full depth of the substrate, reaching the bottom. So you get rid of the smallest and most “stale” particles of dirt.
- Choosing a siphon, consider all the features of the aquarium. Your choice will depend on the volume of the container. Agree, a large and powerful electro-siphon is hardly suitable for cleaning the bottom of a nano aquarium, and too small a device will make cleaning a large aquarium a tedious and ungrateful task.
- A siphon that is too powerful for an aquarium can suck fish, so be careful with your pets.
- Standard siphons are not suitable for cleaning the substrate in nano aquariums – they are too large. In this case, special siphons are used for the nano aquarium, which are sold in pet stores. You can also make such a siphon yourself, using a syringe and a thin tube (for example, from a dropper).
If you want to get rid of unnecessary expenses, you can refer to the instructions for creating a homemade siphon. The siphon for an aquarium is quite simple to make with your own hands, and such devices work just as well as their factory counterparts.
Of course, it will not be possible to make a newly-built electro-siphon, but the manual model will clean the ground quite well. You will need:
- long transparent hose;
- plastic bottle.
Cut the bottle in half. Half with a neck will play the role of a cylinder.
The nozzle is attached to the hose and … ready! Naturally, a homemade siphon will work according to the principle of a conventional mechanical siphon, since it is quite problematic to supply it with a pear.
A do-it-yourself siphon is perfect for cleaning an aquarium, but it’s better to get a stronger and more durable option.
The aquatic environment is a complex and multifaceted system, the prosperity of which depends on maintaining order and cleanliness at the bottom. Siphon for the substrate – a necessary tool for any aquarist. Which siphon to choose, you decide.
In extreme cases, it can even be done independently. It doesn’t matter if you have a large aquarium or a nano tank, whether there are plants in it or not – the ground must always remain clean.
Each aquarium needs periodic cleaning with water replacement, because without this procedure, all aquarium inhabitants may simply die. But pouring and pouring water into an aquarium with a ladle is long and inconvenient, so aquarists use a simpler way to drain water using a device like an aquarium siphon.
Its use allows not only to quickly drain the water, but also to do it without catching the fish.
siphon for aquarium
Novice aquarists, faced with the need to purchase a siphon, think that this is a very simple device that does not require instructions. But after the purchase, many have questions about the operation, which proves the need for knowledge of working with the siphon.
Based on this, it is necessary to understand the device of this device and methods of its use.
The aquarium siphon is a simple construction consisting of a straight or corrugated flexible tube and a funnel, which is sealed to one of the ends of the tube. Using the device can be done in two ways, but the first one requires quickness:
- So, the first way to “launch” the siphon is most familiar to drivers who drain gas from a tank with a drain hose. So do the siphon by inserting a funnel attached to the hose into the ground, and lowering the free side of the hose into a bucket or other container to collect dirty water. After that, the air in the tube is sucked by a person so that water can fill the vacant space. But just before the start of the water, it is necessary to sharply release the opening of the tube so that the liquid can flow freely into the bucket. If you do not show quickness, then you can sip polluted aquarium water.
- And some aquarists who know how to siphon the ground safely go a longer way. In this case, they siphon completely immersed in the aquarium, so that its entire cavity is filled with water. And then carefully, without removing the side of the hose with a funnel, lift the other side of the hose, tightly holding the hole with your finger. This is done so that the water does not flow back into the aquarium when the outlet is located above the water level in the glass container. After the clamped side of the hose is lowered into the bucket and open the hole so that the water began to drain. Knowing how the professionals in the aquarium siphon up the soil, beginners will be able to quickly overcome this not a tricky business, but how they choose to implement it at their own discretion.
Everyone who has a pet knows that one of the indispensable conditions for its proper maintenance is cleanliness and daily care. But if a dog, for example, can be taken out for a walk, and for a cat to put a tray, you will not walk the fish and you will not plant it on the tray. To care for fish there are their own specific devices, for example – a siphon for an aquarium.
Of course, the question immediately arises how such a device can help in the care of fish. We will understand in order. First of all, the fish need not only timely feeding, but also to clean the aquarium and its contents, in particular the soil.
But in order to make a “cleaning”, it is sometimes necessary to drain the water from the aquarium and replace it with fresh water. It is the aquarium siphon that is designed to drain the water and to clean the aquarium from the waste products of its inhabitants.
Every aquarist knows that not only water but also soil needs cleaning the aquarium. In order to eliminate all accumulated garbage from sand or stones, use a special device – a siphon for cleaning aquariums. With it, you can easily remove the remnants of uneaten food, rotting algae particles and waste products of all underwater inhabitants.
This cleaning is very useful, because it prevents the acidification of the soil, the formation of harmful hydrogen sulfide and ammonia in it.
When siphons for cleaning aquariums did not exist, the soil had to be removed, washed, and then poured back into place. However, this procedure had an adverse effect on the vital activity of beneficial bacteria in water.
Now this problem is solved.
Considering how the siphon for the aquarium works, it will not be too difficult to clean up the underwater kingdom. It is enough to immerse the hose in the ground and blow into the tube. On the reverse of the return, all the garbage along with the water is poured into a vessel placed at the other end of the hose.
At this time, the soil rises up to half of the wide pipe, and then safely sinks to the bottom.
Today, pet stores have a large variety of different types of siphons. However, their price is sometimes not attractive.
Therefore, the most intelligent aquarists decided to protect themselves from unnecessary expenses and came up with homemade siphons for aquariums.
The design of such a device is quite simple. In the original, it is a conventional hose to which a wide tube is attached at the end. Many are trying to improve the model, and for convenience they attach an ordinary medical bulb to the edge of the hose, so that it does not have to blow into it, but it was enough to squeeze the bulb only several times.
However, the effectiveness of this does not increase.
The most important element in the assembly of a siphon for an aquarium is a hose. For a capacity of 100 liters, fit a tube with a diameter of 10 mm.
If you use a thicker, then during the “cleaning” you can not notice how much of the water will pour into the bucket before you clean the bottom. To protect you from such troubles in our master class, we will show you how to make a 50 l siphon for an aquarium out of items that everyone probably has in the house. For this we need:
- hose diameter of 5 mm – 1 m;
- plastic water bottle – 1 pc;
- 10 dice syringe – 2 pcs;
- insulating tape;
- brass hose outlet – 1 pc;
How to make a siphon for aquarium :: Equipment and accessories
Periodically, the aquarium needs cleaning and replacing part of the water with clean water. Without this procedure, the fish may die, because waste water and other contaminants accumulate in the water.
The easiest way to clean – siphon, with which you can easily drain the water without moving the fish to another container. To make siphon can be of improvised material.
1. Siphon – tube of small length. Make it from any hose, it should be about 50 cm long, but the diameter does not matter. But the smaller the diameter, the longer the water will descend from aquarium.
You can make a longer tube – it will be somewhat more convenient to drain.
2. If you have fry or small adult fish in your tank, put gauze on one end, which should be fixed with thread or with a regular rubber band. Small fish can escape with water through siphon, which is undesirable, because they can be scared and even die.
If you have large breeds of fish and they are larger than the diameter of the hose, you can not use gauze.
3. The principle of draining water siphonohm: insert the tube into the aquarium, create a negative pressure, put the other end of the tube in a container and drain the required amount of water. Replace drained water with clean water, but not water.
If you do not want to drain the air from the tube with your mouth, as you can swallow dirty water, you can fill the tube with water, plug the end with your finger and gently insert it into the aquarium. Release your finger and water will flow from the tank.
Even the most minimal set for an aquarium includes a siphon (vacuum cleaner), which can be purchased at a pet store. It is very good when there is an opportunity to simply buy it, but, unfortunately, this is not always done and not everyone succeeds.
And now – to abandon the possibility of having a home aquarium? Not at all, because you can do it yourself! The main advantage of a homemade vacuum cleaner for an aquarium is saving the family budget.
And the process of work itself will not take you much time and effort.
First, prepare the necessary materials, namely: an empty plastic bottle, a lid from it, a rigid hose (the length depends on the volume of the aquarium) and a stationery knife. For sealing, you can use regular silicone.
The first stage of the work is the manufacture of a funnel from the bottle. We cut off the neck from the bottle almost to its half, and our vacuum cleaner for the aquarium with its own hands (or rather, its main element) is ready.
The size of the funnel can be both larger and smaller – it all depends on the size of your aquarium. For small aquariums, a 1.5-liter bottle will be enough.
To be able to drain water from the bottom of the aquarium a little more, you can make an uneven edge on the funnel. To do this, it should make zigzag or gear cuts.
Please note that using this funnel option, it is necessary to carry out the aquarium cleaning procedure with great care. Your negligence may cause damage to the fish.
Then go to the second stage of work. In the bottle cap we make a hole, the diameter of which is equal to the hose. It is considered ideal if the hose is a little tight in the hole on the cover.
The hose should be inserted into the almost ready siphon for the aquarium with the inside of the cap. In the middle of the funnel should be no more than 1.5-2 cm. Hose, and the rest of the length remains outside.
If you fail to make the hole in the lid correctly, then you need to use silicone to seal the seam. After it is completely dry, your vacuum cleaner is ready.
In the case when your aquarium is completely (!) Planted with plants, you will not need a vacuum cleaner.
Remember that only those areas where there is no vegetation are “vacuumed”. This procedure should be performed depending on the number of aquarium inhabitants.
After the siphon of the soil, it is recommended to add clean water – in the proportion “how much was poured, how much was poured”.