maintenance, care, compatibility
Aquarium leakage is a nuisance from which no one is immune. If it manifests itself, then you can go to the pet shop and buy a new house for fish. Independently eliminate the leakage is much cheaper, but only experts do not recommend the use of household glue “Moment”, a tube of which is always in every home.
So, we need some other glue that is suitable for such cases.
What requirements must meet the aquarium glue
All silicones are classified as acidic and neutral.
There is probably no home craftsman who, squeezing the sealant out of the tube, did not inhale the sour smell of vinegar. So smells acid silicone sealant.
On the tube with a similar composition there is a special marking – the letter “A” (acid, which in English means “acid”).
Neutral silicone has almost no odor, and it is recommended for bonding and repairing aquariums.
- Good silicone is durable, moisture resistant and elastic.
- It retains its properties in a large temperature range from -70 to +70 degrees Celsius.
- There are special silicone sealants (heat resistant) that withstand a larger temperature range.
The paint on the frozen silicone does not fall, it seems to be rolling down from it. It should also be borne in mind that a new layer of such sealant on the old can not be applied – it just falls off.
That is why when repairing a malfunctioning aquarium in the place of a leak, first carefully remove the old sealant, and then apply a new one to the degreased surface.
When choosing a neutral silicone for an aquarium, it is important to pay attention to the following points:
- Such a sealant is somewhat more expensive than acid. So do not fall for all sorts of tricks of dishonest sellers. And even more so to buy “from hands”.
- It is necessary to check the expiration date of the silicone. Even the highest quality product loses its properties over time.
- Aquarium sealant should be colorless. Any dye is an additional chemical load on the aquatic environment.
- On the package and tube there should be an inscription “For aquariums” or “Aquarium” in Russian or English.
Aquarists often wonder: how to choose a reliable sealing means for gluing glass containers? A good sealant is able to isolate the walls and completely protect the joints from leaks.
One of the best options for today is silicone for the aquarium.
What is a silicone sealant?
What kind of silicone is needed for an aquarium:
- When choosing a suitable option, you should avoid buying universal tools. Sealants of this category mainly contain antifungal components. As a result, such a silicone for an aquarium will harm the inhabitants of an artificial reservoir due to its high toxicity.
- Quite often on the shelves of retail outlets you can find fake silicone products. To avoid the acquisition of low-quality goods, it is recommended to pay attention to the availability of quality certificates that confirm the true origin of the products offered.
- Before giving preference to a particular option, it is worthwhile to carefully study the information on the packaging. Good silicone for an aquarium is able to retain its properties during operation in a temperature range from 200 to -70 ° C. If other parameters are indicated on the sealant tube, it is worth refusing to purchase such a product.
- One of the best, proven options is Den Braven, a silicone for an aquarium that has a transparent structure. If the seller declares that the means of black or any other shade is better, do not believe this statement. After all, the components that give color to silicone only worsen its physical properties.
- Going for a purchase, you should first ask how much the aquarium sealant is worth. If the price of the product of the desired brand in the store is a few positions lower, it is worth the alert. Discounts and promotional offers in this case are not taken into account.
- If a fake was detected directly in the process, it is recommended to remove the applied layer. In the future, this will not completely re-glue the aquarium when choosing a more reliable means.
Silicone sealants are most often used by experienced craftsmen when self-gluing tanks for fish, plastic and glass terrariums. Such products are completely non-toxic.
The interaction with such substances does not require the use of protective clothing, gloves, respirators, etc. Silicone for the aquarium does not emit harmful fumes, does not emit toxic components, even with prolonged interaction with water.
If we talk about adhesive bases for a reliable connection of the elements of the containers, here you should also give preference to silicone bases. Such agents are frozen for several minutes.
For the final polymerization in most cases enough days. Seams treated with silicone glue are extremely durable.
To destroy them, it is necessary to apply an effort exceeding several hundred kilograms. At the same time the stiffened means keeps the increased elasticity.
Thus, the compounds are less prone to cracks and fractures.
In order to decide how to glue an aquarium with silicone, a few points should be taken into account:
- glue should be characterized by an increased amount of force, which is able to withstand 1 square. see glued seam;
- on the tube must be indicated that this type of sealant is suitable for use for the aquarium;
- there should be a maximum glue fight with glass;
- glue must maintain high performance for a long time.
When buying glue, you should carefully read all its characteristics on the label so as not to poison the fish in the future, and the sealant for the aquarium also indicates what engine capacity it is designed for.
One of the reliable ones, designed for a capacity of 3500 liters, is silicone glue of the brand “Chemlux” 9013, a smaller volume of the aquarium can be glued 9011, this type of the specified brand is cheaper, it is intended for the volume up to 400 liters.
A special product that meets all the requirements for the manufacture and repair of aquariums, is Akfix 100AQ sealant, quick-hardening, preserving the elasticity of the seam, resistant to UV light.
A proven and reliable option is considered “Dow Corning 911 ″, it also does not cause problems after its use.
It is important to remember that a good, high-quality silicone sealant for an aquarium is not cheap, and you need to buy it only produced by well-known, proven companies.
The main requirement for any aquarium is its reliability. To glue or repair the aquarium with your own hands and to prevent leakage, you will need a sealant.
Adhesive for the aquarium is desirable to choose from silicone, as it is flexible, adheres well to various surfaces and has a long service life.
Silicone glue is non-toxic, it is used today for gluing aquariums. Such glue does not emit harmful toxic substances into the environment, even when interacting with water.
Silicone sealant is a synthetic thick mass, it hardens when exposed to moisture from the air after 20 minutes. After a day, polymerization is stopped. After gluing to break one square centimeter you need to make an effort of two hundred kilograms.
Such seams are stronger than the glass itself. Silicone molecule contains silicon, which is also part of the glass, so after bonding a strong bond occurs.
In addition, the adhesive retains its elasticity, so that occasional blows will be softened. After all, hard seams are most susceptible to destruction.
Therefore, silicone is ideal for bonding glass aquariums. It securely holds materials in which silicon is present.
It is important to remember – there should be no fat residue between the glass and the seam of the sealant, otherwise the connection will not occur at this point. Before bonding, the gluing points are rubbed with acetone.
Silicone glue is made in small tubes for cases when it is necessary to use a small amount of it or in half-liter tubes for high consumption. The glue from the tube is squeezed out by hand, a special pistol is used for the tube, which helps to put portions of glue on the surface.
There are several types of silicone sealant available. You need to use silicone, which is suitable for use in aquariums, it has the appropriate labeling.
On the package should be painted fish. Otherwise, you can buy glue with poisonous additives, for example, antifungal or universal silicone can harm the fish.
The sealant is sold black, white or colorless, the latter is the most versatile and does not contain dyes.
Silicone is indispensable in the aquarium lover’s household. When buying, be sure to pay attention to the possibility of using glue for aquariums, so as not to harm the inhabitants of the living area.
In industrial production, special silicone glue is used to make a frameless aquarium. Exactly the same should be purchased if a breakdown or seal failure is eliminated independently at home.
Silicone glue is a jelly-like mass that hardens when exposed to moisture in the air. In about 30 minutes, a mass polymerization process takes place at the gluing point.
A day after working with this glue, the frozen mass is almost impossible to break, its strength becomes almost the same as the strength of the glass surface itself. This is achieved by the fact that the composition of the silicone adhesive is silicon, which is also an element of glass.
Silicone adhesive sealant is sold in some pet stores and in almost all construction hypermarkets.
For example, sealants of the Soudal, Penosil, Titan or VIK Aquarium Silicone brands are safe for fish, perfectly maintain contact with the water environment, create strong seams. This glue can be carried out as the elimination of leaks, and full gluing.
For sealing the cracks in the top cover use the same sealants.
As a rule, gluing is done when the glass is cracked. If the crack is small and is located in the upper part of the tank, then do the same as in the case of the elimination of conventional leaks: the crack is sealed with silicone.
The worst case is when the glass surface is cracked along the entire vertical, horizontal or diagonal. It is necessary to act immediately, as the aquarium water can squeeze out the broken glass at any time.
The first step – remove the glass. After the dwelling for fish is cleaned and dried, the broken glass is carefully removed. In a frame aquarium, this is not easy to do: from the grooves of the frame you need to gently get as much as possible of the old silicone.
As an improvised tool in this case, you can use a nail file. If the aquarium is glue, then inside and outside the cutter makes cuts to the joints.
The second step is to remove the old glue.. When the wall is removed, the entire old sealant is removed, the cleaned surfaces are degreased.
The third step is the creation of a blank. The pattern is cut new glass.
Then the silicone sealant needs to be smeared with the edges of the new glass, and the surface of the joints of the structure.
Fourth step – installation. A new glass wall is installed in its place and fixed by wrapping it with a rope or ribbon both horizontally across the entire container and vertically. Before this little sponge silicone gently spreads on all the seams.
It is better to slightly moisten the sponge in order to avoid glue sticking.
The fifth step is to consolidate the result. An hour after the first sizing, it is necessary to smear the seams with silicone a second time.
Thus, guaranteed reliability of installation of a new wall is achieved.
Sixth step – integrity test. For the complete drying of the glue you need to take 1 day, and after that the aquarium is filled with water for 1-2 hours. During this time, you must carefully check the quality of work.
There should be no leakage. At the same time, all foreign substances are washed out of the container.
Seventh Step – start the aquarium. Then the test volume of water is drained, and the ground is laid in the glued-up aquarium, the water for the fish and plants is poured, and the inhabitants of the artificial reservoir return.
In principle, any aquarium can be disassembled and then re-assembled. Some aquarists professionals do this to replace old sealants.
It should be understood that repairing a home for fish requires a lot of time, effort and patience, as well as having a spare home for decorative aquatic living creatures.
Video lesson, which shows how to properly glue aquarium glass:
Self-bonding aquarium involves the correct choice of adhesive. Silicone must be present in its composition.
When choosing, you should carefully examine the packaging. Glue for the aquarium should be designed specifically for this product.
Its composition should not include antibacterial substances that are detrimental to fish and plants.
Aquarium glass adhesive can be of several colors:
- black (looks great in large aquariums).
For those who glue the product for the first time, it is better to choose a transparent glue for aquariums (waterproof). For ease of use it is recommended to purchase a special gun that helps squeeze the tool.
Silicone sealants are considered the most universal remedy. Their advantages:
- long service life;
- the tool provides reliable adhesion to any surface;
- silicone is easy to use;
- does not emit harmful substances.
In addition, the glue for the aquarium freezes quite quickly, in just 20 minutes, and after a day the polymerization is finally completed. The seams are very strong.
At the same time, silicone retains its elasticity. Before starting to use a sealant, make sure that the surfaces to be treated are clean, dry and degreased.
In addition to silicone, you can use epoxides. However, they are more fluid, harden for a long time and require more thorough cleaning of the surface.
Convenient to use cold welding. This remedy is chemically inert, seizes in a few minutes.
Cyacrines are also good, only when gluing the aquarium between the parts should be small gaps.
If you can not find aquarium sealant, you can purchase a tool that is intended for plumbing or dishes. Only in its composition should not be antifungal additives.
The work is carried out in several stages:
- To protect the glass from contamination, glue it over with masking tape. From each edge leave a distance equal to the thickness of the glass.
- All surfaces are degreased – rubbed with an acetone containing agent or alcohol.
- The glue joint should be made as smooth as possible. To do this, put on the end of a little silicone. After hardening, cut it off with a blade, leaving a small ledge above the glass. It will help to make a uniform seam.
- Gluing is carried out on a solid and flat surface, covered with polyethylene. First, the glass is glued, which will be located in front, then – the side and all the other parts. Excess glue for the aquarium from the glass should be removed with a cloth previously moistened with a solution of water and vinegar.
- After about an hour, the seams need to be smeared with silicone and leave the product to dry. Aquarium is ready to use.