maintenance, care, compatibility
At first glance, the very phrase “aquarium waterfall” seems absurd. And really: how, from where and where can the water fall, if the aquarium is already filled with it?
Of course, if the “bank” is flooded with water, for example, up to half, then such a device can be placed so that the top of the waterfall is above the level of aqua. However, will it fully imitate a cascade of a stream of water rushing down from above?
Of course not.
But in a terrarium, a waterfall installed at the side wall looks quite appropriate, and such a design of terrariums is often found in practice.
Nevertheless, aquascapers have found a way out, and waterfalls adorn many home and office aquariums. Only in this case it would be appropriate to talk about sandfall, since it is sand that falls down from the height.
However, outwardly, a beautiful illusion of a real waterfall is created.
First of all, you need to determine how to create an injection effect. To do this, fit a normal aquarium compressor, which is a necessary accessory of almost every aquarium.
The air that he gives must trap the grains of sand and carry them up the tube. Thus, for the manufacture of “waterfall” will require:
- rigid support for the structure, the height of which is calculated on the basis of the size of the entire sandfall;
- a rubber hose of small cross section (from 10 to 15 mm), its length also corresponds to the height of the future structure;
- hoses from the dropper system;
- empty plastic bottle (with a capacity of 1.5 liters, for example);
- silicone glue for aquarium;
- light stones for the construction of a natural grotto or rock.
As a support, you can use any plastic pipe. To make it stable, you can glue a rectangular base to it.
Putting this support in the aquarium, you can then put a few stones on the base; This will give the structure stability.
Technical part. Silicone rubber hose should be attached to the support in such a way that its top is 1–2 cm above the water level in the aquarium (for air outlet). In the lower part of the rubber tube (5–6 cm from the bottom edge) a slot is made.
The bottom edge of the slot must be bent. A cumulative bowl will then be inserted into this slot, where falling sand will be collected.
Bowl to collect sand is made from trimming a plastic bottle. First, the tapered part is cut off, the threaded neck is removed.
Then the upper part of the cut bottle is cut in half lengthwise. It turns out some kind of scoop, which will play the role of the team bowl.
This “scoop” is inserted into the main hose (or pipe) at the slot, fixed with adhesive tape (temporarily) and glued with silicone.
Assembly. A system hose (droppers) is attached to the lower edge of the main tube; it is through it that the air from the compressor will flow.
A large slot is also made at the top of the pipe slightly below the water level; sand will be poured out of there.
In principle, the sandfall is ready. It remains only to “turn on” the fantasy and decorate it according to the general plan.
When the construction is dry, it is installed in the selected place of the aquarium and put into operation. Naturally, it is necessary to fill the sand in the cumulative bowl.
The choice of sand in this case plays a very important role. To the illusion of the waterfall was the most complete, you need to choose the sand based on several factors.
- Firstly, it should not be too small, since under the influence of the air flow it will fly apart in different directions (sprayed).
- Secondly, the sand should not be too large: large sand grains can create a cork in the main highway.
Therefore, in order to achieve the desired effect of a falling stream, the fraction of sand for each specific product is almost always selected by experience.
Perhaps every aquarist in love with his work wants his offspring to stand out with some special element of decor. A hand-made underwater waterfall that fits well into the overall interior of an aquarium can be just such an important element.
Make sure that the “sandfall” in the aquarium looks as impressive as a real waterfall, you can video:
- We take a plastic plumbing tube and cut its three parts along. Bend them down and get support for the future of the waterfall.
- Glue germerikom tube with a hose.
- Departing from the bottom edge of the hose 3 cm, we make an incision of an oval shape measuring 2×1 cm.
- From the bottle of 1.5 liters and cut off the top and neck with a thread.
- Make an incision along the resulting bowl, and put it on the hose, bending back the incision made earlier (2×1 cm).
- We adjust the diameter of the bowl and glue the curved ends with thin tape.
- Thoroughly glue sealant place the junction of the bowl with a hose and leave to dry.
- At the top of the hose with the edge diagonally make an oval cut, size 2.5×1 cm.
- From the dropper, take a plastic tip and with glue, fasten it to the lower end of the hose and leave to dry.
- We put on the tip of the tube from the dropper, connect the other end of the tube with the compressor.
- We check the work of our waterfall made with their own hands in the aquarium. If everything works, proceed to the manufacture of the cap visor. It will regulate the release of sand.
- Take a plastic bottle of 0.5 liters and cut off the upper part, cutting off the neck with a thread. The result is a bowl 3 cm high.
- We make an incision on the side of the bowl, and fasten it to the top of the hose so as not to block the opening for the exit of air bubbles.
- Fix the visor with narrow tape and glue to the hose with a sealant. We leave our almost finished waterfall in the aquarium to dry out.
- When everything is ready, you can begin to decorate the waterfall with stones at your discretion. It is better to paste over a section of the future rock where the sand will crumble directly into smaller stones to form a depression. That’s what we did.
Nowadays, aquarium owners prefer waterfalls as a stylish and original decor element. He looks very beautiful and spectacular. At first glance, the phrase “waterfall in an aquarium” seems absurd.
Whence and where does water fall when the reservoir is already filled with it? Sand comes to the aid of the aquascapers, because it is the one that flows down from the top down.
Due to this, the illusion of a waterfall is created. Is it possible to create such a decoration at home?
And what will it take to make a waterfall in an aquarium with your own hands?