maintenance, care, compatibility
Samps can be used in both freshwater and saltwater aquariums. But in the “sea” their use is most justified.
This is due to the fact that with the help of a sampa it is possible to maintain the desired artificial biotope constantly, at any time of the year and day, even when the lighting of the demonstration aquarium is off.
- Kalkquasser. In addition, if there is a reef aquarium, then placing in a separate compartment in the sampan with a saturated solution of calcium hydroxide allows you to stimulate growth and maintain the life of corals.
In principle, the scheme of a marine samp is almost the same as a typical one, but there are a number of features.
About kalkwasser (calcium solution Ca (OH) 2) has already been said. The skimmer is also an indispensable device – a device for removing dirty organic matter by foaming.
Sometimes such a device is called a flotation cell, foam separator, or simply pennic.
- Skimmer It is a compartment of a technical aquarium, where the seawater flowing into it foams with the incoming air pressure that pumps the compressor. The rising foam is collected in another container and turns into a darkish slush.
This is the smallest organic garbage in the type and likeness of ordinary sea foam. If an artificial marine aquatic system is large (from 400 liters or more), then such pennics may be 2 or 3.
- Carbon filter placed immediately after the skimmer for chemical cleaning.
- Scraber. In addition to conventional biofilters, the original method of controlling phosphates and ammonia compounds in seawater is a scrubber.
This device is also installed in one of the compartments of the sump; it is in its essence an ordinary lattice, on the surface of which water flows. The grid is constantly illuminated by a separate lamp, so that algae begins to grow on it, which perfectly absorb harmful chemical compounds.
- Refugium will help solve a similar problem. In this compartment, floating algae not only purify water, but also saturate it with air, and also maintain the desired pH balance.
For the growth and life of algae also used constant lighting.
Technical aquariums are on sale, they are also made to order. But many home craftsmen make their own.
This is probably due to the fact that the homemade samp allows you to experiment with a water purification system, to use different filter elements and substrates. In addition, such an open filter complex is easy to maintain.
But to make it yourself is not so easy. In this case, do not need to rush.
First of all, it is necessary to develop a project taking into account the planned compartments and equipment. The design should take into account the following features:
- the samp must correspond to the size of the aquarium table;
- access to all its compartments should be provided;
- all the water flowing from the main aquarium should fit into the sump in the event of a power outage.
On the Internet there are quite a few examples of homemade sampov, as well as drawings and detailed descriptions of their manufacture. However, it makes sense to focus on some of the features.
Recently, very exotic inhabitants began to appear in aquariums (skates, discus, large fish that can pollute the water sufficiently) with quite specific requirements for living conditions. In this regard, there is a need to install in larger aquariums more complex cleaning systems than ordinary filters.
In such cases, aquarists usually equip sampar filters for the aquarium.
Samp – a vessel communicating with the aquarium into which the water goes. There are several cleaning steps located in it, as well as aeration and water heating systems can be brought into the samp, in order not to occupy space in the main aquarium.
Water from the main tank enters the samp, cleaned and re-supplied to the aquarium with a pump. All this allows you to maintain favorable conditions in an artificial reservoir for a long time.
The sump can be used for both marine and freshwater aquariums. The only difference is that when setting up a marine aquarium, water instead of evaporating will have to be added manually, and in the freshwater version, you can equip an automatic supply of water.
The principle of the device is the following: it is usually divided into five compartments. In the first one there are various density sponges responsible for the mechanical purification of water.
The second and third compartment is filled with a porous material (for example, expanded clay) in which, about a month after the launch of the sampa, a colony of nitrifying bacteria develops, also purifying water. In the fourth compartment there is a heater, in the fifth – an aerator and a pump that pushes water back into the aquarium.
It can also be equipped with an automatic fresh water supply and drain system for a portion of the water already in the aquarium. With such a device, fresh water will always be supplied to the tank, which will further extend the life of the aquarium and make its ecosystem more sustainable. Usually, the sampled in the aquarium is used for large tanks with a capacity of 400 liters, but a samp can be made for a small aquarium.
In this case, you can equip only one compartment for the development of a colony of bacteria.