maintenance, care, compatibility
In general, it is an artificial reservoir that imitates a part of the sea with its inhabitants. It has great differences from the freshwater counterpart.
This is a complex system that requires serious equipment to maintain certain water qualities, create currents and other conditions in order for creatures to live in it.
- attractive and exotic type of aquarium, able to decorate any interior;
- very beautiful, interesting and unusual inhabitants, who can not only be considered, but also tried to breed;
- the possibility of growing your own corals;
- does not require such frequent maintenance as in the case of freshwater.
- it is difficult to provide an optimal environment, control over the chemical composition of water is constantly required, powerful filtration and aeration are needed, only a certain type of soil is suitable;
- it is not easy to renew water (it is not suitable to drain and topping up parts of it); special devices are needed for regeneration and purification;
- It requires a lot of technical devices for maintenance, which are not placed in the aquarium, in addition, you need to purchase a special stand for them;
- This is not a cheap pleasure, as the equipment, materials and the marine animals themselves are expensive.
Marine aquariums have their own varieties. Here are the main ones:
- Only for fish. The cheapest and easiest to clean compared to others. It focuses on fish, so the scenery is small. Most often, predators (lionfish, moray eels, triggerfish), coral (angel, butterfly) and small flocks like clowns are placed in it.
- Mixed, in which the fish coexist with invertebrates (starfish, sea anemone, shrimp), soft corals, some intestinal cavities and live stones. Such reservoirs are more interesting, but they have their drawbacks: it is problematic to combine fish and invertebrates, brighter and longer lighting is required, which contributes to the rapid formation of plaque, it is difficult to treat fish because of the toxicity of drugs for invertebrates and so on.
- Coral, in which these polyps are adjacent to a few fish.
- Reef, which mimic the landscape, lighting and population of the coral reef. It is the most expensive and most difficult to maintain aquarium. It will be available only to specialists in marine aquaristics.
- Shark, in which (it is clear from the name) live sharks.
How to prepare the water and launch the aquarium?
Plain water is not suitable for home sea. Need a special, which is called osmosis and prepare in an osmosis installation. After it is ready, you can start it in this order:
- Fill 75 percent of the aquarium with prepared water.
- Add salt, of course, special, for marine aquariums, bought at the pet store.
- Turn on the pump and heater, wait until the salt is completely dissolved in the water.
- Measure salinity using a refractometer. Normally, the device should show 33-35 ppm.
- Measure the temperature of the water. It should be 25 degrees Celsius.
- Fill the bottom with sand with a layer of no more than 2 cm. Beforehand, it should be washed and boiled. Set the scenery (if planned). They also pre-process.
- A day after the water has settled down and has become transparent, lay live stones. They are needed for water ripening.
After all this, the aquarium is left alone for a week, during which it will be prepared. During this period, there may occur such processes as the darkening of the sand or the greening of the glass.
This is normal and should be over by the end of the week. After this, the aquarium is ready to receive the first inhabitants.
As for future water changes, the first one is done not earlier than in 3 weeks, and the next weekly, 15 percent of the liquid.
To reduce the level of stress and anxiety, replant purchased animals in the prepared marine aquarium better in the dark. The first inhabitants should be unpretentious. First, you can run mollusks and arthropods, then after a week fish (non-aggressive and non-territorial).
Corals are planted last, not earlier than in 2 weeks.
In the process of settling need constant monitoring of water quality. Hurry settle all not worth it. When the last fish are planted in the aquarium, and the concentration of ammonium and nitrite is consistently below 0.1 mg / l, the starting period is considered to be successfully completed.
But the final biological balance will be established only after 3-5 months.
Despite the fact that the marine aquarium is a costly project for the money and requires a lot of effort to launch, you should not immediately abandon this idea. If you already have some experience with a freshwater body of water, and you feel the strength and desire in yourself – go for it.
We hope that this article will help to orient at the initial stage.
Video tutorial from the “Living Water” channel on launching a marine aquarium:
A marine aquarium has one property that is very related to freshwater: the greater its volume, the more stable the balance of the ecosystem within it. But in the pursuit of large volume, it is important not to forget about the proportions of the aquarium: it is very difficult to care for the aquarium if it has too high walls.
Equipment marine aquarium should be placed so that, performing the functions assigned to it, it does not spoil the interior space. That is why, very often you can find sea aquariums, installed in niches or on special podiums: below, under it, and on the sides all external equipment is placed.
In the niche above the sea aquarium should be free space: it will be easier to clean it, feed the fish and carry out other manipulations.