The round aquarium is popular for its modest size and interesting shape. The bottom of the aquarium can be flat (placed on a flat surface) or semi-circular (held on a special stand).
Aquariums in the form of a ball, glass, ellipse in harmony with any interior, they can be beautifully decorated, and easy to clean. On this, in fact, the advantages of round tanks are exhausted, because with the choice of equipment and future inhabitants there are certain difficulties.
- Small volume. The maximum volume of round aquariums – 50 liters: if you make tanks of larger volume – they will be less durable. Mostly typical sizes are 5, 10, 15, 20 liters. You understand that a lot of fish do not put there;
- Convex. Not everyone likes the distortion that a lens gives. If you look at such an aquarium for a long time, your eyes get tired. In addition, not all fish can live in peace in such conditions;
- Small bottom area. Bottom fishes will not be able to live comfortably in a round tank: too little space for movement. It is also necessary to choose plants and decor wisely;
- Decor. Firstly, you are limited by the area, and secondly, the aquarium is surveyed from all sides, so you won’t be able to paste the background. All large objects of a decor establish unless on the center – it is not enough open space for imagination;
- Equipment. It is impossible to attach devices on the semicircular walls, so you have to either hide them behind the snags or buy equipment built into the aquarium cover. In addition, finding filters or a small aerator is difficult;
- Service. It is impossible to clean the curved walls with a simple scraper, you have to use sponges or special brushes. Water is also changed more often than usual, but this is not such a significant drawback.
The inhabitants. The goldfish, habitual to many, lonely swimming in a round aquarium, is in fact an unhappy creature. So fish need space, according to the standards for one individual accounts for 40 liters of water.
In a round aquarium of a modest size, neons, danios, guppies, molines, lyalius, corridors, cockerels, swordtails, ampoules will feel good. Remember the proportions: for 1 cm body length fish need 3 liters of water.
Cherry shrimps are also popular – they require minimal care and the simplest lighting, aeration and filtration is not necessary.
Registration. Since it is difficult to choose an aerator for a round aquarium, live plants are planted in it – they will be sources of oxygen for fish. For beauty, you can put a couple of sprigs of artificial algae.
We recommend to stay on elodey, nayase, vallisnerii, rogolodnicnik or cryptocoryne. Soil choose according to the needs of the fish, you can buy special colored pebbles, but remember that all the details in the round aquarium seem more convex, so that any defect will be noticeable to the naked eye.
A pair of shelters and snags will complement the composition.
Equipment. There are models in which the necessary equipment is hidden in the lid: the devices are less visible, but still remain visible.
In other cases, you have to show imagination: look for compressors, filters and thermostats of minimum power and small size – you can disguise them with snags and plants.
Maintenance and care. In fact, a round-shaped aquarium is a glass lens, so it cannot be placed under direct sunlight. Certain difficulties arise when cleaning: the convex walls are cleaned somewhat worse, but the ground siphoning is pure pleasure, the review is remarkable.
It will be necessary to make water changes more often, as small tanks get dirty more quickly. However, if you are ready to put up with such inconveniences, a round aquarium is what you need!