maintenance, care, compatibility
The causes of muddy water in an aquarium can be varied, and it is not as easy to deal with them as it seems at first glance.
- Turbidity can occur due to swimming in the pond of small particles of algae, solid organics and cyanobacteria. There is another unobtrusive reason – poor washing of the aquarium soil and inaccurate pouring water from a clean tank. This type of turbidity does not threaten the water and the fish, you can do nothing with it. After some time, the muddy part of the water will settle, or seep into the filter, remaining there. The formation of turbidity can provoke fish who love to plow the ground, but these actions for the reservoir are completely harmless.
- Turbid water in an aquarium can be caused by cichlids, goldfish and tail finch fish – their active movement in a reservoir is the cause of the resulting turbidity. If a filter is not installed in the tank, it will be difficult to clean the water.
- Often, muddy water appears after the first start of the aquarium, after the fresh water inlet. Nothing to do, in a day or two the sediment will fall to the ground and disappear. The mistake of novice aquarists is a partial or complete renewal of water, which is considered a gross error. When adding new water to a newly launched aquarium, the bacteria will become even more! If the aquarium is small, you can install a sponge filter that quickly cleans the pond.
Watch the video about the device and the operation of the internal filter.
- Malicious bacteria in an aquarium can also be causes of turbidity. When the water becomes green, then it’s time to draw conclusions – this is an unnatural color. Muddy and green water is formed due to overcrowding of the aquarium with fish or plants. That is, the aquarium fluid passes through the filter, but is not cleaned. The abundance of metabolic products provokes the formation of putrefactive microorganisms, ciliates and other unicellular. If ciliates are beneficial, the bacteria can harm the plants – they will start to rot. In order not to be surprised why fish and plants often get sick – watch the aquarium clean and tidy.
- Why still breed single-celled? Because you do not have time to clean the tank after heavy feeding. For aquarism it is better to underfeed than to feed. This rule will protect the fish from problems. After overfeeding again the water got cloudy – what to do? Arrange a pet unloading diet for a couple of days, the bacteria will die out, the water biobalance will be restored.
- Incorrectly installed decoration. Snags, plastic materials of poor quality dissolve in water, forming a muddy shade. If the scenery is new wooden, but untreated – they can be boiled or infused in salt solution. Plastic snags should be replaced with new ones.
- In the old, stagnant nursery with fish, sediment is formed due to “whiteness after fish treatment”, this is when drugs and purification chemistry for aquarium glass were used in the pond. Such substances have a number of side effects, they disrupt the biological equilibrium, neutralizing the favorable microflora.
Drugs that prevent the appearance of a cloudy precipitate
What is the aquatic environment characteristic of new aquariums?
A few days after installation and start-up, the water in the aquarium dimmed dramatically. Why it happens?
- The fact is that in the “immature” reservoirs the biological environment has not yet formed, the beneficial bacteria have not spread enough, and are in a state of “stress.” While they multiply massively, and after a few weeks, their colonies will adapt to the new reservoir. In old aquariums, bacteria do not multiply abundantly.
- The water in the new aquarium also becomes cloudy from the light particles of soil, which rises under the influence of frequent water changes. When pouring water directly on the ground, its pellets rise sharply, floating for a long time. This process creates a visual turbidity of water. To avoid this, it is necessary to make a careful and gradual injection of fluid into the tank. After this, the sediment will “calm down” and settle to the bottom. Purchased fish are unlikely to create a “hurricane” in a new home – they are shy and often hide in shelters. Water with sand sediment is harmless to fish and plants.
Watch the video about why the water in the aquarium grows cloudy.
Recommendations for the operation of recently launched aquariums
After a new life in the aquarium wakes up, you need to do the necessary procedures so that no turbidity appears in it.
- In a new aquarium, do not partially refresh the water for 2-3 weeks until the microflora has stabilized. A complete change of water is harmful for both fish and plants.
- In order to avoid organic sediment at the bottom of the aquarium, you need to do fasting days for the fish. Give the fish as much food as they eat in 1-2 minutes. Unfinished food residues can be collected personally using a special siphon.
See how to properly feed aquarium fish.
Causes of green sediment in the tank
Cleaning the aquarium leads to raising of the particles of fodder and fish waste that have settled on the ground, and also involves scraping off the deposits from the walls of the aquarium. Naturally, after this water turns into a suspension with all these smallest particles.
Many inexperienced aquarists panic at once and do not know what to do if the water in the aquarium dims. In fact, you do not need to do anything.
A filter installed in the aquarium will partially remove the solid particles floating in the water. The rest will again settle to the bottom, and gradually the water will again become transparent.
As a rule, you just need to wait 2-3 days.
What if the water in the aquarium dims after running the fish?
Natural turbidity is also caused by the launch of new fish. Since with them you start a part of the liquid, which has its own biological composition, you can observe that the water in the aquarium has become turbid.
Patience will have to be reserved, because it will take some time until the biological balance is established in the aquarium.
And in order that this balance is established as soon as possible, it is not necessary to immediately rush to change the water. Frequent change of water only delays the process of establishing balance, since everything starts from the beginning.
Microorganisms that have entered the water must undergo a process of competition; this usually takes 2-3 days. No measures need to be taken, all “extra” microorganisms self-destruct or will be destroyed by good bacteria, and the water will again become clear.
When the water grows cloudy without your intervention, that is, not after cleaning or launching new fish, this indicates violations of the aquarium content. You can determine the cause of the color of turbidity:
- greenish cloudiness suggests unicellular algae breeding;
- brown tint occurs due to tannins and humic substances present in poorly prepared soil and snags;
- whitish dregs speaks of the proliferation of bacteria due to the increased content of nitrates.
And in these situations, an immediate total cleaning of the aquarium with full water replacement and thorough cleaning of the filters is required.
What to do if the water in the aquarium is turbid :: the water in the aquarium becomes cloudy what to do :: Aquarium fish
Occasionally water at aquarium starts to grow cloudy. There are many reasons why this process occurs. It can be associated with both the vital activity of fish and the quality of food, as well as with various objects inside the aquarium, including the filter.
In itself, the turbidity of water in aquarium harmless, but you still need to identify and eliminate the causes of this phenomenon.
The question “opened a pet store. Business is not going. What to do? “- 2 answers
In most cases, the reason for the turbidity of water becomes the mass reproduction of bacteria. If your aquarium is new, you can not worry – this is a completely normal phenomenon, which will eventually pass.
If your aquarium has “matured” for a long time, be sure to transplant the fish into another container and change the water. Sometimes water begins to cloud due to improper use of chemicals.
Therefore, once again carefully re-read the instructions to detect your mistake, and then transplant the fish into another aquarium, as there is a risk of poisoning. fish. These products include, for example, fresh meat or improperly thawed feed. In this case, change the diet of the inhabitants of the aquarium, using high-quality food.
Sometimes water begins to be painted in different, not at all characteristic tones. In most cases, this is due to the color of the decorations of the aquarium. For example, peat or wood colors water brown, while pink gravel gives the water a reddish tint.
In most cases, this phenomenon is not dangerous for fish. In order to get rid of strange shades, simply treat the water with the help of tablets of activated carbon, as they are excellent absorbents.
Water may become cloudy as a result of lifting substances that have accumulated in the substrate of the aquarium. The release of such a substance can occur as a result of the activities of the fish or the person himself. On this occasion, do not worry – the mule should get a filtration system.
If a water starts to grow cloudy, then be sure to check the filter – it is possible that it is broken or not working sufficiently intensively. Quite often, dead fish cause water pollution.
In big aquarium it is quite difficult to notice a small dead fish that has sunk to the bottom. Therefore, try as often as possible to check the aquarium and its pets.
When a dead fish is found, immediately catch it from the water, as it begins to decompose very quickly.
With the help of an aquarium your home will be filled with beauty, comfort and warmth of exotic reservoirs. Aquarium is a great place to observe beautiful fish and calm meditation.
However, a damaged tank can ruin both your mood and the health of its inhabitants. Sometimes the water goes out and it stinks like a swamp.
Muddy water spoils the impression, and makes the nursery unfit for further use. The problem requires an immediate solution, which involves finding out the cause and its immediate elimination.
If the aquarium fluid has become rotten, which has strongly started to smell, and even smells like a swamp, it is possible to establish the causes of the imbalance of the aquatic environment through practice and observation. In the course of the research, it will be possible to determine the method by which turbid water, which goes dead and smells unpleasant, will be neutralized.
To solve the problem should be phased actions.
- Decide whether you chose the right fish food. To do this, change the water, buy another, better food and test it in a few days. After a day, a turbid liquid that smells like a swamp has disappeared and is clean, odorless, which means the cause of the problem was unsuitable food. In the case where the action did not lead to a result, other reasons should be sought.
- It so happens that you feed the fish and other animals with high-quality feed, but the aquatic environment is still muddy and “gives” the swamp. Probably, you overfeed the inhabitants of the nursery, and they do not have time to eat all the granules. Not all fish eat a lot, so arrange unloading diets for them and add less feed to the water. After a few days, smell the tank – if the unpleasant smell has disappeared. If yes, then you have found the reason. The uneaten food is mixed with the soil, decomposing.
Watch a video on how to feed the fish properly.
If you are a beginner aquarist and for the first time launched an aquarium, due to lack of experience you could create the wrong neighborhood in the nursery. It turns out that not all types of fish, snails, amphibians and reptiles get along together. Some will disturb others, and because of close space, someone will fall ill and die, quietly sinking to the bottom.
Due to severe stress, insufficient shelters and swimming places, the inhabitants of the reservoir excrete feces with a characteristic aroma. After a day or two, muddy water will appear with a stench.
What to do – get a spacious tank, pour water into it with suitable parameters, and populate compatible pets there. Or buy two aquariums at once, if many species are incompatible within the same space.
Also carefully inspect the bottom – maybe one of the fish died, and the body is still not removed.
- install a compressor with high power;
- replace the filter with a new one, with a forced circulation system;
- Ask a specialist how to adjust the oxygen supply to an acceptable level.
See how to replace the water and clean the soil in the aquarium.