maintenance, care, compatibility
Periodic carbon dioxide supply to the aquarium is necessary because as a result of filtration and aeration, the CO2 content in the water tends to zero. And in such conditions, algae in a fish house can die. You can create a system (or generator) of carbon dioxide with your own hands at home.
It is not so difficult.
From school, anyone knows that carbon dioxide, the basis of photosynthesis, is absorbed by plants from the surrounding air. Due to this, in fact, the growth of terrestrial flora occurs.
And in the natural aquatic environment the concentration of CO2 is sufficient for the development of aquatic plants.
The same conditions must be created in the aquarium, which is a closed tank. Creating a concentration of carbon dioxide ranging from 3 to 7 milligrams per liter of aqua is a necessary condition for aquarium plants to feel normal.
To do this, it is not necessary to acquire industrial carbon dioxide systems.
Drinking sparkling water as a source of carbon dioxide
Carbon dioxide in the aquarium (homemade system) in action # 2
After a little digging the network, I found a solution that I consider optimal for small jars – this is Limonka. I decided to make and lay out, can someone benefit from my experience.
Before launching, I advise you to purchase a shotgun (or do it yourself) and a long-term test for Co2.
Make a shotgun:
We will need:
– 2ml syringe
– bottle of valerian, potassium permanganate.
– piece of fumlenta
1. Take out the piston. Cut the spout of the syringe.
The residue should be of such length that when inserted into the bottle remained about 1 cm to the bottom of the bottle.
2. Wrap the syringe well with fumlenta and force it into the bottle. Is done.
Making the installation of CO2
It will take:
– 2 bottles of 0.5 liters (preferably 1 from Fanta, narrowing will not allow the glass to go down)
– Dropper from the pharmacy
– Syringe for 10 or 20 (better for 20)
– oxygen hose with zoomag about 2m
– suction cups for hose 2 pcs
– suction cup for the counter of bubbles (under the syringe 10 or 20) 1pc
– tap with zoomaga (better to take on more expensive, such as in the photo I was not important)
– 100ml plastic cup
– cotton swab
– a stiff tube from liquid soap or Mr. Muscle (whoever builds a house, an oxygen hose must sit on it tightly-tight)
– Super glue
– a sprig of mountain ash (so that oxygen entered the hose tightly) for a sprayer.
Let’s start with traffic jams.
1. In the cork number 1 do a hole under the diameter of a rigid tube. It is better not to drill holes with a drill, but to flare with the tip of a knife, since it is possible to fit very smoothly, without having to stop.
2. Push the oxygen hose into the hole, insert a rigid tube into it from below. Everything should be very tight. Hard tube cut off, so that when twisting got it to the bottom of the bottle
3. In the traffic jam number 2 do 2 holes. One is the same as on cork No. 1 (under the rail and oxygen hose), and the second is under a plastic dropper piece.
4. Cut off the needle from the syringe, leave about 1 cm.
5. We assemble the cork in this way: we insert a piece of the rigid into the oxygen one, into a plastic needle-piece.
6. Cork the bottom thoroughly coated with silicone. Super glue and acrylic glue on fit. Under the influence of acid, they soften and lose their sealant properties.
You may also need fumlenta. Faced with the fact that even completely screwed caps missed.
1. Take a syringe 10 or 20 (preferably 20), draw out the piston, cut flush.
We put upright, pour superglue, give dry.
2. Cut off the needle from the dropper, clean it with a file. Near the spout do a hole under the diameter of the tube from a cotton stick.
We cut one end of a cotton stick under 45gr.
3. On a cut needle, wear a wand, after a little brushing the needle with superglue, and insert it into the hole of the syringe slightly at an angle.
4. After assembling around the hole (where the needle is inserted with a stick), we well dig it with superglue. Give dry.
1. We take a plastic cup of 100 ml, in a circle in the middle of the cup we make a needle with a needle through 1-1.5 cm. We crush it lightly, so that it crawls into the neck.
We put it into the bottle and straighten it with something long (the sushi stick helped me).
Do not touch the second bottle.
1. Connect the plugs number 1 and number 2 with acid hose.
At the free end of the hose we put on the tap.
2. We take the counter of bubbles, on the nose of the syringe we dress the acid hose. You can also wear a suction cup for fixation.
3. A brown rubber band is put on the tap, and the free end goes to the aquarium.
4. Make a spray with a sprig of mountain ash. Take a rowan branch, clean from the bark, cut one end at an angle.
Before inserting our sprayer into the end of the acid hose, it is necessary to fill the bubble counter with water through it, leaving about 1 cm to the top.
We put in the free end of the acid hose, put on the suction cup.
All is ready. The collected happiness for 3 rubles looks like this
Before refueling, I advise you to gather everything well, put it in a basin of water and check for leaks. Those. drown the whole system and squeeze both bottles well.
We take an engineered engineering miracle by us, turn it upside down, pour 0.5 bubbles of the indicator liquid. Turn over, set in the aquarium at a height of about 10 cm from the surface.
Indicator in the open air (as you can see bright blue)
After 2.5-3 hours, it became dark green.
Where a cup fall asleep about 60g. soda In another bottle we fall asleep 25gr. citric acid, pour 80ml. vinegar and completely dissolve.
Before starting, you need to do a test on PH. Disable aeration (it will only need to be turned on at night).
To run the whole thing, you need to turn off the tap on the hose, slightly squeeze a bottle of acid. Wait about 30 minutes, the tap can be slightly opened and no more than 1 bubble per second can be fed into the aquarium.
Be sure to monitor the condition of the fish, if they hang near the surface, reduce the flow of Co2 and turn on aeration. Monitor the indicator color in the shotgun and the PH level.
What is convenient system? In bottles, a certain pressure is injected and the flow of acid into the bottle with soda stops.
After etching the pressure, the acid begins to flow again. Those. You can safely turn off the tap at night and are not afraid that something will tear the pressure.
If the system is sealed, then the bubble will be 2-3 weeks.