maintenance, care, compatibility
In case of aquarium failure, some ornamental fish owners advise simply to throw it away and purchase another. If the aquarium is small (for 30-40 liters, for example), then it makes sense. And if the house for the big fish?
Already 100-liter aquariums are not cheap, even second-hand. Therefore, it is useful to find out how some breakdowns can be fixed at home by yourself.
You need to understand that repairing your own hands is not an easy task. Before starting this work, it is necessary to solve several serious issues:
- where and how to move the fish, whether it is necessary to evacuate them at all;
- what materials to use for repairs and where to buy them;
- how to correct the defect or breakdown and when, after repair, the fish house can be used again for its intended purpose.
In industrial production, special silicone glue is used to make a frameless aquarium. Exactly the same should be purchased if a breakdown or seal failure is eliminated independently at home.
Silicone glue is a jelly-like mass that hardens when exposed to moisture in the air. In about 30 minutes, a mass polymerization process takes place at the gluing point.
A day after working with this glue, the frozen mass is almost impossible to break, its strength becomes almost the same as the strength of the glass surface itself. This is achieved by the fact that the composition of the silicone adhesive is silicon, which is also an element of glass.
Silicone adhesive sealant is sold in some pet stores and in almost all construction hypermarkets.
For example, sealants of the Soudal, Penosil, Titan or VIK Aquarium Silicone brands are safe for fish, perfectly maintain contact with the water environment, create strong seams. This glue can be carried out as the elimination of leaks, and full gluing.
For sealing the cracks in the top cover use the same sealants.
As a rule, gluing is done when the glass is cracked. If the crack is small and is located in the upper part of the tank, then do the same as in the case of the elimination of conventional leaks: the crack is sealed with silicone.
The worst case is when the glass surface is cracked along the entire vertical, horizontal or diagonal. It is necessary to act immediately, as the aquarium water can squeeze out the broken glass at any time.
Immediately need to carry out the evacuation of ornamental fish and other animals. If there is a spare dwelling for aquatic inhabitants (even if of a smaller capacity), then the problem is solved quite simply: the water from the failed aquarium is poured into the spare, the plants are moved to a separate container (a jar, for example), the ground is removed.
You can begin to fix the damage. If there is a thermo bag for transporting fish, then it is also suitable as a temporary dwelling for fish.
In extreme cases, you can use the usual three-liter glass jar.
When the glass is completely cracked, it is better to replace it with a new one. That is, requires gluing the aquarium.
The first step – remove the glass. After the dwelling for fish is cleaned and dried, the broken glass is carefully removed.
In a frame aquarium, this is not easy to do: from the grooves of the frame you need to gently get as much as possible of the old silicone. As an improvised tool in this case, you can use a nail file.
If the aquarium is glue, then inside and outside the cutter makes cuts to the joints.
The second step is to remove the old glue.. When the wall is removed, the entire old sealant is removed, the cleaned surfaces are degreased.
The third step is the creation of a blank. The pattern is cut new glass.
Then the silicone sealant needs to be smeared with the edges of the new glass, and the surface of the joints of the structure.
Fourth step – installation. A new glass wall is installed in its place and fixed by wrapping it with a rope or ribbon both horizontally across the entire container and vertically. Before this little sponge silicone gently spreads on all the seams.
It is better to slightly moisten the sponge in order to avoid glue sticking.
The fifth step is to consolidate the result. An hour after the first sizing, it is necessary to smear the seams with silicone a second time.
Thus, guaranteed reliability of installation of a new wall is achieved.
Sixth step – integrity test. For the complete drying of the glue you need to take 1 day, and after that the aquarium is filled with water for 1-2 hours.
During this time, you must carefully check the quality of work. There should be no leakage.
At the same time, all foreign substances are washed out of the container.
Seventh Step – start the aquarium. Then the test volume of water is drained, and the ground is laid in the glued-up aquarium, the water for the fish and plants is poured, and the inhabitants of the artificial reservoir return.
In principle, any aquarium can be disassembled and then re-assembled. Some aquarists professionals do this to replace old sealants.
It should be understood that repairing a home for fish requires a lot of time, effort and patience, as well as having a spare home for decorative aquatic living creatures.
Video lesson, which shows how to properly glue aquarium glass:
How nice to look at floating fish in the aquarium. If it is a 100-liter, fashionable handsome man, inhabited by unusual and colorful fish, it is doubly pleasant. An aquarium with pets touching the eyes will not only harmoniously fit into any interior, it also calms the shaky nervous system.
But what to say, you can watch this picture forever. But what if the aquarium leaks.
Such a tragedy can spoil not only the interior of the house, but also destroy all the fish living in it.
What to do if the aquarium flows? Do I have to buy a new one?
But this is quite an expensive pleasure. Do not worry, putting some effort if you want it can be repaired.
First of all, prepare for the repair, for which you need:
1. Aquarium cleaning procedure:
- Temporarily relocate all residents to another vessel, as silicone sealant emits many harmful substances.
- Remove pebbles from it, plants, shells, pebbles, and everything else.
- Turn off all electrical devices that were in it, and put them away for the time being.
- Drain the water.
- Wash and dry.
2. Complete leak test. In order not to do the work twice, and immediately eliminate all the leaks, even the smallest and unnoticeable, with the help of paper you need to inspect the aquarium for leaks.
The procedure is simple and does not take much time. It is necessary:
- Fill a clean aquarium with water.
- Dry the outer surface.
- Press paper to each side (you can even have a regular gray toilet).
Flow does not take long. After a few seconds you can watch all the flow.
3. Seam preparation:
- Cleaning of a seam from the old worn out sealant (it is possible by means of a knife or an edge).
- Degrease the seam.
- Cover the glass near the joint so that the sealant does not smear the aquarium.
How to fix aquarium leak :: to repair aquarium leak :: Minor repairs
There can be several reasons for an aquarium leakage: initially it was allowed to be defective during production or the aquarium seams are not sufficiently filled with sealant. Impractical people can replace the aquarium with a new one.
But if you are not ready to waste money, then there are several ways to help you eliminate the leak.
The question “how to put the door in the closet” – 1 answer
- – silicone sealant for aquariums,
- – nail file.
1. First of all, it is necessary to clean the seams in the places of leakage, in this case you have to move all the fish temporarily to another container and drain the water from the aquarium. Remove all accessories, soil and plants, wash the aquarium thoroughly and dry it thoroughly.
2. Now you can proceed directly to fix this problem. Inspect the seams carefully, they are filled with a special substance – sealant, which eventually loses its unique adhesive properties, after which the docking is disturbed, respectively, the aquarium begins to leak water.
3. Take a small sharp object, it can be a metal nail file or a small spatula, and carefully clean the soaked sealant from the seam. Be very careful not to accidentally damage the glass.
Absolutely clean all the rubber parts of this substance so that the seam remains practically clean. Of course – the work is not easy, but after careful cleaning you will only have to seal the inner joints with silicone sealant, which is designed specifically for the aquarium.
He perfectly cope with the task.
4. Apply a small amount of sealant to the inner seam and try to push it with a wet and soaped finger as far as possible inside the joints. Try to do this so that the seam is completely filled with sealant, let it be a little better than it will be missed.
Using a nail file, level the silicone and spread the excess over the surface. After all the seams are sealed, leave the aquarium to dry for two days. After a set time, fill it with water and look at the fruits of your labors.
If the flow did not appear, then you did everything right.