maintenance, care, compatibility
Normal tap water for aquarium is not suitable. It needs to be prepared.
Thus, the preparation of water begins with a banal sedimentation. To begin with, it is necessary to pour water into any container with the help of a shower. In this case, the shower will help get rid of a certain amount of harmful substances that are contained in tap water, and may not have the best effect on the health of the fish.
Using a shower also makes it possible to understand whether it is worthwhile to use tap water on a certain day to fill the aquarium, or it is better to postpone this event to another time. The fact is that with the use of the shower, it is possible to determine whether the chlorine content in the water is exceeded on any given day. It is no secret that every day in tap water contains a completely different amount of impurities.
As a rule, it depends on the season, weather conditions, etc. If you feel a strong smell of chlorine, then this water for the aquarium is better not to use or use after treatment with special dechlorinating agents.
AQUAYER AntiToxin Vita makes water safe for fish by eliminating chlorine even in high concentrations.
The use of tap water to fill the aquarium is also due to the fact that it has the acidity necessary for the normal development of fish and plants (PH = 7). This is an active reaction characterizing the alkaline and acidic environment of water.
This reaction is determined using paper indicators that can be purchased at any pet store.
If the PH level is lowered, you can use regular soda to increase it. To lower the PH used peat, not collected on a hill.
Distilled water can be used to fill the aquarium. You can buy it in an ordinary pharmacy.
However, this method of filling the aquarium is suitable only if the aquarium is small. Many experts still do not recommend the use of distilled water, because it lacks minerals that are useful for the abodes of the aquarium.
There is also an option to use water from another aquarium (if there is one), in which biological balance has already been established for the favorable living of the fish.
Water temperature for the aquarium plays a crucial role. It depends on the health and ability of fish to breed. For each species of fish, a completely different water temperature is suitable.
Conventionally, all the inhabitants of the aquarium can be divided into heat-loving and cold-loving.
By heat-loving include fish living in the water, the temperature of which is not below 18 degrees. Cold fishes are individuals that easily adapt to low temperatures. They can safely live in the aquarium, the temperature in which, will not exceed 14 degrees.
The maintenance of cold-loving fish is possible only in large and spacious aquariums.
It is noteworthy that if the heat-loving fish are planted in cold water, then they practically stop swimming. This suggests that significant damage has been done to their health.
Preparing water for the aquarium, you should use the tips for beginners, which can be found in the special literature. So, it is possible to choose the optimum temperature for water only after it becomes known exactly which species of fish will live in it.
The thing is that in the literature for each type of fish is given the permissible threshold of the highest and lowest temperatures at which the fish will feel comfortable. In accordance with these parameters, you can choose the future inhabitants of the aquarium so that they all feel comfortable in the same temperature conditions.
This will avoid a huge number of problems associated with the maintenance and care of the fish.
How to make the water prepared for the aquarium was not too hard?
If you pour fresh water from the tap, then you can observe a certain amount of bubbles on the walls of the tank. They are formed due to the presence of excess gases dissolved in water.
When refilling fresh water directly into the aquarium, gas compounds appear on the plants, the skin of the fish, and the aquarium.
If the fish gets an excess of gas, then bubbles form in the circulatory system, which leads to blockage of blood vessels, gas emboli and, as a result, to death.
This can happen if the aquarium fish, bringing home, immediately settle into a container with fresh water. Beginners aquarists are always warned that it is impossible to do so!
Also, the appearance of bubbles can be caused by the method of pumping water into the water supply system. Cold water pumped into the pipes under high pressure loses it sharply at the exit, and the gases evaporate into the atmosphere.
If you type this water in a glass, it will be covered in bubbles that pop up along the walls to the surface. It is necessary to defend a little.
With regular water changes in the aquarium, most likely, there will be no bubbles. Fresh and clean water does not greatly increase the number of gas-containing mixtures in the total volume, so you can not be afraid of the appearance of single bubbles on the fins of the fish.
From all of the above for gas mixtures it can be noted that:
- chlorine poses the greatest danger;
- upholding spend more than a day does not make sense;
- in order to speed up the process of settling, it is necessary to provide strong aeration in the water tank (even simple mixing with a pump will significantly shorten the time for gas mixtures to exit);
- For the use of fresh water (without upholding), you can add special components to it, which are very large in the sale, and after 10-15 minutes the liquid is suitable for adding to the aquarium.
Now you need to prepare equipment for the aquarium. Determine where it is better to put the compressor with air ducts, how to connect the lighting and the water heater.
Consider where you can leave the net for transportation, the siphon with the hose, the scraper and the water collection tank. If you have thought about where you will install the equipment, you can lay the soil substrate.
Decide in advance on the type of soil – it can be gravel, pebbles or sand. Soil needs to be processed, wash out all suspended particles and remnants of large fragments.
Some types of soil need to be treated with boiling water, in any case detergent. After preparing the ground, the next day you can plant unpretentious aquarium plants in it, such as valisneria, anubias, hornolistnik, elodeya and others.
Watch the video with recommendations for choosing aquarium soil.
Next you need to pour prepared water into the tank. You can not pour the water recruited from the tap, it is harmful and toxic. Let her stand for 3-4 days to get chlorine fumes out of it.
It will heat to room temperature. Take measurements of water parameters using indicators.
When all indicators meet the standards, you can pour water.
Later, place stones, rocks, caves, earthenware pots and treated wood snags in the tank. Attach the filtration system (external or internal filter), aerator, heating system, thermometer. If the equipment manual allows, you can install mechanisms after the water inlet.
For a decorative aquascape, all parts must be as hidden as possible. With the help of large stones, driftwood and bushes of plants you can cover the installation.
After all the preparations, the water can be poured in little by little, so that the soil does not become washed out and the water does not become cloudy. On a layer of soil you can put a ceramic plate, and pour water directly on it.
Then turn on all devices and check their performance. Inspect the tank for damage.
To make the water in the aquarium crystal clear, as in a public or store pond for fish, you must achieve a certain level of transparency in various ways. Very clean, almost blue water is a liquid without turbidity, dirt and harmful impurities.
In such an environment, any decorative pet will feel safe, demonstrating health and beautiful appearance. New aquarium, or old – it does not matter, it is better to wash it thoroughly and clean the water.
There are conditions, the maintenance of which will make the aquarium water crystal clear.
The purity of the decorations in the aquarium also affects the quality of the water. The rules that are best to follow when installing jewelry in a container:
- All decorations (grottoes, caverns, coconuts, snags, castles, labyrinths) should be treated from dirt and parasites in infused water (leave them for 3-4 days).
- If you decorate the bottom with stones, let them be red or black. However, the stones must be washed carefully, it is desirable to boil them. Calcium and magnesium in the stone which increase the hardness of the water spoil the parameters of the reservoir
- Put the stones in the poured water so that they “got accustomed.”
- Cover the aquarium – as long as the fish do not live in it, it will be saved from dust and insects, and a film of cyanobacteria will not form on it.
- After installing the decorations, run the fish in 2-3 days until the water in the aquarium settles, establishing biological balance.
Read more: Coconut in an aquarium – what you can do with your own hands.
See how to prepare a snag for an aquarium.
Many novice aquarists make a mistake when, after the first days of launching the reservoir, they begin to worry about the formation of mud and foam in it. It appeared bacteria that got into the aquatic environment from the air.
Then the owners of the aquarium begin to change the water and do other procedures with it. It is better to wait 5-6 days, and the clouding will disappear.
Otherwise, there really is something wrong with water.
Having been patient and waiting for 6 days, you will find clear and slightly yellowish water in the reservoir, which in professional circles is called “residential”: infusoria and organic substances appeared in it, but there are almost no bacteria, neutralized ciliates.
Such water is a guarantee of health in an aquarium; it can be completely not changed for several years. If this water is renewed by more than half, bacteria will appear in it, causing turbidity.
Known so-called “live” and “inanimate” filters that help clean the water from pollution and bring it into a beautiful view. For aquariums install mechanical filters with a cassette and a sponge. However, once in the store where the fish are sold, you noticed that they swim in an ordinary tank, where there is no filter.
It turns out that it is possible to maintain perfect purity without mechanical devices, sometimes their constant use brings harm. If there is no such filter in the aquarium, it means that it has a biological filter.
Biological, that is, living filter – these are plants that are planted in a lighted place. Infusoria and microwells that feed on bacteria are well developed in them.
Thickets also keep dirt and turbidity in the aquarium with their stems and leaves.
Excellent “filters” are bottom fish (catfish) and snails that eat carrion. Based on the observations, the cochlea is able to make the water absolutely clean in a matter of days.
This is probably the most affordable “filter” for a tank of water. Just be careful – some species of fish and amphibians are not averse to eat it.
One more representatives of the underwater world who are able to clean the environment in an aquarium are clam clams. Pea and sharovka love warm water, and toothless and perlovitsa – cold.
Unfortunately, like snails, these mollusks can be eaten, so before putting them into the tank for “cleaning”, it is better to evict the rest of the pets from it. Also, the larvae of toothless and perlovitsy parasitize on fish.
Most likely, after cleaning the reservoir, you will have to quarantine the aquarium.
Spur frog – vertebrate amphibian, which will bring the aquarium to transparency. She can constantly live in the nursery with small fish, in parallel helping the water to be updated.
The frog always lives in the water, but if it brings fry – and there are a lot of them, the aquarium jungle will not rest. Carefully monitor the parameters of the water in the aquarium: regularly update the water, plant the correct plants, settle the “orderlies” into it, then it will get a wonderful appearance and a healthy balance.
How to defend water for an aquarium :: Settling water for an aquarium :: Care and nurture
Water is the cradle of life. We are all familiar with this statement, but in the course of our evolution we learned to use such water, which is able to kill some living things – such as aquarium fish.
In principle, any drinking water can be used for aquariums, but by no means mineral water. However, only after preliminary preparation and settling.
How to defend water for aquarium, so that the fish in it safely live and breed? There are some simple rules.
The question “How does a little girl retrain to go to the tray (she is 4 months old)? “- 3 answers
1. The first thing to remember is that any fresh water — from a tap, a well, or a fish well — is not suitable. Tap water most often has a large proportion of impurities, including a large amount of chlorine.
Water from a well or well is too hard. And in any case – fresh water is always not the temperature that is necessary for the life of fish.
In principle, a small amount of water, if it is not chlorinated in your area, can be poured into the aquarium without prior preparation. However, it will be better to defend it.
2. What else water, except tap, can you use for aquariums? If you take a lake or river to fill in the aquarium water, then before use it must be heated to a temperature of +70 degrees in order to destroy unwanted microorganisms. City rain or snow is not suitable for aquariums, as it contains a large amount of harmful impurities.
The application of rain or snow water from the countryside is possible, but it should be filtered.
3. How to defend water? Pour water for aquarium in a large container with a wide neck and top with gauze. Defend water within a few days to two weeks.
The time of settling depends on the quality of water in the region where you live. During this period, the harmful impurities in the water will decompose or evaporate.
If you have just purchased an aquarium, then for the first time water can defend it. And besides that you get defended water, you also ensure that the aquarium is not leaking.
4. How to determine that the water has settled down sufficiently? First try to replace not all water in the aquarium at once, but only one third.
If the fish after such a replacement feel normal – try to replace water wholly. Watch the fish.
Some aquarists go to the trick and change water first run inexpensive fish. And only in the case of their well-being – let the rest.
5. And finally, the last piece of advice, how to determine that water is settling well: smell water functioning dwelling for small fishes. If it smells nice freshness – everything is fine.
If the smell is unpleasant – it means something in the aquarium is wrong. Among the reasons for the unpleasant smell, except for water, which was incorrectly defended, non-compliance with the rules of care for the aquarium and dirty soil.
Before putting the sawn coconuts for an aquarium, it should be soaked in water for several days (replacing water every 12 hours), after having cleaned the inside of the pulp residues using a hard kitchen sponge or metal scourer. After lying in water for a few more days, it is perfectly cleaned.
If you leave a nut in water or boil it in water for 10 minutes, it will no longer stain aquarium water, and the material itself will not harm the fish.
There is an opinion that after placing the coconut in the aquarium, the health of the fish deteriorates. This may be due to the chemicals with which the product was processed before serving on the counter. But during boiling, some of the germs and toxins are destroyed, so there are already prerequisites for trust.
In addition, very few people came across such poor-quality coconuts – product managers are well versed in products.
After all the procedures, coconuts can be cooled by gently dropping them to the bottom of the aquarium. You can make a house covered with Javanese moss – it will look organically and attractive.
But consider the moment – large fish can get stuck in a coconut, so be guided by the size of the aquarium living creatures.
Coconuts for aquarium – an excellent decoration, creating the presence of a tropical pond in the room. The small underwater world will delight both the inhabitants of the aquarium and those who love to contemplate it.
How to make the water in the aquarium transparent :: how to get the water color :: Equipment and accessories
Aquarium maintenance is a rather laborious process, especially for a novice breeder. The basis of health for fish and plants that inhabit the aquarium, is quality water.
It should be transparent, not have color and smell, which is achieved as a result of special preparation of the liquid.
1. The most important thing that a novice aquarist should know is that fish should not be run into an aquarium with untreated tap water. This can lead to the death of living organisms. For fish and plants to take root, prepare in advance water, make it transparent.
Pour a new clean aquarium water from the tap and let it stand for 2-3 days. As soon as the water loses the smell of chlorine, it is sufficiently settled.
You can lay the soil and plant.
2. After laying the ground water can again lose transparency, becoming first blue and then muddy. This soil particles, stalks and roots of plants pollute water. Therefore, it is impossible to plant fish there yet.
After about an hour and a half, the soil will settle, and fish can be planted in the aquarium. If you still doubt the quality of the water, add a special tool for water treatment (for example, Aquaseyf).
This mixture will make water completely habitable fish and protects it from the development of pathogenic flora.
3. After the fish and plants settled in aquarium, water for another 3-4 months will have a bluish tint. And only after a certain time, when all living organisms take root finally, the water will regain its colorlessness and transparency.
This means that the water has reached its most optimal stage, which, in experienced aquarists, is called old. In such water, both animals and plants feel comfortable. Fish do not get sick and actively reproduce, and the plants have a bright, saturated color.
Determining that water has reached this stage is simple. In a dark room, highlight the front wall of the aquarium with a table lamp.
If the water is not visible, the fish, as it were, hover in the air, then you have achieved the ideal state of the water.
4. If your aquarium is equipped with modern water purification and filtration systems, then it is often not necessary to change it. Update water only in the event that the water became turbid, many algae particles floating in the water and fish waste products appeared. Then a portion of the water is poured and an appropriate volume of distilled or prepared tap water is added.
The more often the water changes in aquarium, the smaller the volume needed to drain.
5. If there is no cleaning system to do water transparent, you have to change it from time to time. Cast from the aquarium should be no more than 1/4 of the water, replacing it with a settled water supply. This should be done no more than once every 2-3 weeks.
Fish are very hard going through the change of fluid, so it is better to get a filtration system. And do not forget to wash the walls of the aquarium from the plaque.
That it can be the main cause of turbidity of water.
Everything aquariums without exception require water treatment. The fact is that in it, over time, the formation of dirt, mucus and microorganisms.
Currently, this problem can be solved quite simply.
1. In modern industry there is a whole range of devices that help solve this kind of problem. Most often, people use cleaners that are built into aerators and mounted on the bottom of the aquarium.
There are also special devices that collect waste from the aquarium. If you are a beginner aquarist, then remember that the best form of organization of uninterrupted life in an aquarium is a combination of water and soil purification means with the establishment of living beings.
These creatures are able to maintain the natural balance in the aquarium.
2. Consider, the aquarium needs constant care. It is necessary to monitor it every day, but not once a week.
Naturally, every day you do not need to deal with the change of water. Active bacteria that breed in water, as well as in the soil, are not always superfluous guests. The most important thing is to create a natural balance.
It should be similar to the one that exists in natural, natural conditions.
3. Do not forget that almost all modern biological filters are ways to create an environment for the emergence of bacteria, not only in the aquarium water. In order to localize them, a variety of products of companies that produce closed cleaning systems for aquariums work in the sockets of the filter. But even they can not save you from the constant change of water and the annual boiling of the soil.
However, it makes it possible to enjoy the contemplation of the inhabitants of the aquarium for many days.
4. You can also get a normal snail. In the people they are called “suckers.” As a result, you can much less often engage in cleaning glasses.
Get catfish. They will feed on algae that form on the walls of the aquarium.
These fish are very hardy. The appearance is striking in its archaic refinement.