maintenance, care, compatibility
- LED aquarium lighting is initially expensive, but standard LED lamps currently work up to 50,000 hours, and are cheaper if you count on their long-term perspective.
- LED lighting also emits less heat, so it does not always require fans and cooling systems (depending on the number of lamps installed).
- Determine what type of LED light will best suit your needs for lighting a fish tank. If you have a salt water aquarium, more powerful LED lights will be required. Large and deep tanks also require strong lighting.
Look at the LED backlit aquarium.
How to install LED aquarium lighting by yourself
DIY Aquarium Lighting, LED Lights in Aquarium
What do you need to create lighting in the aquarium with your own hands and how much will it cost?
First, you need skillful hands, without them in any way))) As well as tools, preferably: drill, electric jigsaw, Bulgarian, other small tools (screwdrivers, keys, pliers, etc.). If you do not have a jigsaw or grinder, do not despair.
You just have to do everything “manually”, for example, with a hacksaw or sawing.
I am “modernsirval” aquarium cover TM “Nature” (plastic, with two integrated LL T8, ballast and starters), like this: Acquired two CD prozhetora 30W, TM “Feron” model LL 730. Features: daylight 6500K, 2850 lumen (by the way, 2 SD * 2850Lm = 5700Lm / 110l.vody = 51.8lm / l).
Acquired Aquaelev electronic starter for LL T5. Such a choice was made in order to minimize the “stuffing” of the aquarium cover, the place under which is worth its weight in gold.
Acquired previously voiced T5 lamp JBL Solar Ultra Color T5, 28 W, 60 cm. + reflector.
Socket – voltage relay. It is necessary for safety and the prevention of power surges.
In such an outlet, voltage limits are set, after which the equipment is de-energized. Sockets timers (2 pcs.). Required for automatic on / off lighting.
It makes life easier and clearly controls the time of the filing of a particular lighting. Electronic sockets-timers were purchased for lighting, since, unlike mechanical ones, they do not go astray. For example, when the network is de-energized, they “remember everything” and after the resumption of power supply, they work according to a predetermined schedule.
To install coolers (fans), you will need: 2-a computer cooler for 12W and a voltage adapter, respectively, 12W. I purchased an adapter with a switch W from 0 to 12 W, it is convenient to reduce or increase the speed of rotation of the coolers and, accordingly, the degree of cooling.
And also to reduce noise, if necessary.
You will also need: Silicone (building and aquarium), fasteners (bolts, nuts, screws), tie-holders for spotlights (preferably aluminum, so as not to rust), wires (strong and three-core), are needed to connect spotlights, coolers, plugs under spotlights with ground connection.
The process of assembling aquarium lighting The process of assembling and installing aquarium lighting with their own hands is different for everyone, since everyone has different covers. I will describe my process.
1. First, connect the power cord and plug to the spotlights. From the spotlight comes a three-core wire (with ground), respectively, you need to attach to it the same wire. Do not listen to smart sellers in building supermarkets.
When I bought the wire I was told, they say: “What are you. / censorship /, ground lights. In general, believe only in yourself and reliable information, and not “woe to the specialists”, who probably understand only cheap vodka.
Photo can be increased paint
2. Next, remove all the “old insides” cover.
3. Make the layout and cut out the holes for the spotlight. This manipulation must be done very carefully, so that the illumination of the spotlights will be uniform – throughout the aquarium.
4. Install the spotlights and fix them with a tie and fasteners.
5. All silicone and seal. Remove special attention to metal parts (if used), make good silicone so that rust does not get into the aquarium.
6. After checking the performance and proceed to the installation of coolers.
7. Making holes for coolers in opposite sides of the cover.
8. Mount the cooler. One cooler is placed on blowing, the other on blowing.
9. Connect the cooler to the adapter, check the performance.
10. After all the wires stretch around the perimeter of the cover and fasten with silicone.
11. Install T5 and Aquaelev electronic starter in the last turn, based on the availability of free space under the cover. SD and LL should not overlap.
It looks like the electrical connection under the aquarium
How much is it? Cover – in stock.
Searchlight (30W) – 2800 rubles. * 2 = 5600 rubles.
Aquaelev electronic starter – 1200 rubles.
T5 JBL Solar Ultra Color T5, 28 W, 60 cm. – 750 rubles.
Reflector – I used homemade, because Standard not intermeddle.
Relay socket – 400 rubles.
Socket timer – 350 rubles * 2 = 700 rubles.
Extension cable with off buttons = 400 rubles.
Power adapter 12W – 210 rubles.
Fasteners, wires, plugs, silicone, screed, and other trifles – 500 rubles. (about).
TOTAL: 9760 rubles. ($ 275)
Is it worth bothering? What is the effect?
Definitely worth it. The price of the issue is not so global, and the effect is stunning.
My plants immediately bubbled up even without T5, with the T5 after two hours of intense lighting, an “oxygen blizzard” begins. And this is a clear sign – effective and high-quality lighting.
The plants themselves grow like weeds in the garden. And the aquarium sparked and transformed beyond recognition.
Here are the primary photos of the aquarium and plants with bubbles
The use of LED lamps has many advantages. First of all, they are easy to install.
This is due to the fact that the cartridges are suitable for almost all types of socles. Lamps of this type are not afraid of water, and, therefore, the possibility of a short circuit is excluded.
At the same time, lighting devices even in conditions of high humidity work without any interruptions. LED lamps, which are designed to illuminate the space of the aquarium, are fireproof.
The average lifetime of one lamp is about five years. This means that during this time it will not be necessary to replace the components, that is, you do not have to disturb the inhabitants of the aquarium. Also worth noting is the energy savings (on average, by 70%).
That is why most aquarists prefer to organize the lighting with the help of LED lamps. The same properties have special LED strip.
You can make LED aquarium lighting yourself. To do this, fit the usual LED strip, which is filled with plastic. The tape is installed directly into the cover of the aquarium.
The cord and tape joint should be filled with special aquarium silicone. This is to ensure that the power cord does not get water. Transparent silicone is best.
Since the tapes are plastic, they can be used to make the backlight original. For example, paving them around the perimeter of the bottom of the aquarium, you get an unusual water interior.
Do not use tapes with bulbs of different colors. Otherwise, the health of the inhabitants of the aquarium can greatly deteriorate. LED power must be at least 1 watt.
It should be noted that LEDs often have a power of 0.2 watts. Therefore, choosing mini-bulbs, it is important to focus on this attention.
In order to understand how many lamps are required to illuminate one aquarium, you can give an example of the calculation. Creating your own LED aquarium lighting, you will need a ribbon consisting of 30 light bulbs.
The power of each should be equal to 3 watts. This calculation is appropriate for a capacity of 200 liters.
Lighting the space of the aquarium with the help of LEDs has a positive effect not only on the color, but also on the health of its inhabitants. Due to the fact that the rays of the lamp have a spectral composition, the plants also develop much faster.
To ensure that the aquarium lighting is of the highest quality, you can use several models of LED lamps in combination with ribbons.