maintenance, care, compatibility
Marine aquariums in our country have not yet received such wide distribution as freshwater. Perhaps this is due to the problem of the availability of natural sea water, especially if there is no sea nearby.
However, no matter how strange it may seem at first glance, the presence or absence of a natural saline environment does not affect the launch of the marine (or reef) aquarium. Such water can and should be prepared independently, and the technology of preparation has long been tested in practice.
The basic principle of creating “sea” water for the aquarium
Only after cleaning the primary material, you can start salting.
If the aquarium is small, it is better to prepare the marine aquatic environment in a separate container and then pour it into the jar.
What capacity categorically can not be used? Experts give an exact answer to this question:
- metal, galvanized, enameled pots, pans, buckets;
- plastic containers not adapted for food;
- cans, cans and other containers where chemically active and poisonous substances (fuel and lubricants, solvents, paints, varnishes, etc.) were once contained.
But the plastic canister (or bottle), which was originally drinking water, is fine.
The process of adding and dissolving salt is very simple, it is described in detail on the label of a commercial product. Moreover, it is possible to pour out the full weight of salted powder on 1/3 of the required volume, and then add osmotic water, bringing the volume to the norm. And you can gradually fill the salt in the full volume of fresh osmotic water.
By the way, if the aquarium is large, then it usually does.
However, right after salting the sea water is not ready yet. It is necessary to wait until the constituent elements of the salt fully enter into interaction with each other and with the aqueous medium.
As a rule, it takes no more than 24 hours. And only then you can turn on the aquarium equipment, run the aquarium.
For the first 2-3 weeks, it is advisable to monitor the water parameters daily: salinity – using a hydrometer, and hardness – using special tests to measure the total hardness.
Proper preparation of sea water is a very serious and rather time-consuming process, on which the successful functioning of a saltwater or reef aquarium depends. And if the aquarium inhabitants of the marine aquarium feel good, then the synthetic sea water is done correctly.
An example of how to properly prepare sea water for an aquarium, look at the video:
Sea Aquarium in your home! How to start and how much?
Sea Aquarium in your home! Where to begin?
Seawater aquarium can be a central element of the interior of your home or workplace.
What can you do to buy and install a marine aquarium?
How much time and effort will take further care of the marine aquarium?
How do marine aquariums differ from each other, and which one is best suited for a particular interior?
Not every aquarist keen on his business will be able to thoroughly and clearly answer such questions to you, let alone those who are just beginning to think about such a purchase. We will try to present in this article the main and secondary points related to the purchase and subsequent maintenance of the aquarium.
In the aquarium market there are a considerable number of manufacturers. Each of them practices its own marketing policy and has certain advantages over competitors.
German aquariums AquaMedic, “Israelis” RedSea, the Japanese company ADA, the Chinese brand Anubias – by clicking on the link AQUARIUMS, You will note more than a dozen other companies and countries where these firms are located.
For an example that will help us estimate the estimated cost of the entire list of accessories and materials that you will need to fully maintain your piece of the sea, take the inexpensive 30-liter AQUAEL NanoReef aquarium from Poland. Let’s explore what features and properties we can get for 7225 rubles (after reading the list, you can immediately walk HERE)
– Dimensions – 30x30x35 cm
– Existence of the external filter of backpack type.
– Equipped with two 11 W lamps each.
– Cover glass and rear tinted wall in blue
Now we will start filling our aquarium with all sorts of useful things and materials that will add to this glass vessel the effect of a real seabed. They can be divided into three categories:
– What you need to purchase at the very beginning.
– The fact that you can buy a little later.
– Animals, which we want to populate the aquarium.
List number one:
– Sea salt. A seven-kilogram bucket of Red Sea Coral Pro Salt, which is really long enough, will cost you 1.730 rubles.,
– Hydrometer for measuring the density and salinity of water. The inexpensive model of production Fluval costs us 590 rubles.
– Living stones. We take 4 kg, at a price of 1.350 rubles. for 1 kg.,
– Live stones, small / fight 1 kg., They will cost 940 rubles. ,
– Live sand. 10 kg. for 2.200 rubles.,
List number two:
osmosis for saltwater aquarium
– Installation of reverse osmosis, for example, Dennerle Professional 130 model for 5.295 rubles. It will filter the water and maintain the ecosystem of your aquarium.,
– A set of tests that read important water parameters (such as pH). Estimated cost – 6.150 rubles.
List number three:
– Two three-tape clown Ocellaris, each fish costs 645 rubles.,
– Two strombus – black Nosy and / or Canarian Guido. 535 rub. for one snail.,
– Cancer hermit. Small (blue), but at 630 rubles.
Or large (diogenic), but at 885 rubles. Take for a start small.,
– Actinia brick. The most exotic tenant of your aquarium will cost 3780 rubles.,
– Granulat XL dry granulated feed. 400 rub. for 250 ml.,
We calculate the total estimate and the cost of each list separately.
Now let’s analyze the main points of our lists in more detail:
In no case can you use ordinary cooking or cosmetic salts for aquariums. Harmless to the inhabitants of your aquarium will only sea salt, sold in specialized stores.
The most versatile and high-quality options can be the products of the companies Red Sea and Tropic Marin, its composition is perfect even for aquariums, recreating the ecosystems of coral reefs.
Instruments for measuring and monitoring parameters in the marine aquarium
live rocks for saltwater aquarium
live rocks for saltwater aquarium
Living stones are a very important component of the marine ecosystem. Actually, why are these stones called “alive”?
Each such stone is in fact not a real stone. In most cases, it is a piece of the surface of a coral reef and has a porous structure, becoming a large apartment building for a great variety of microscopic algae and animal organisms. They pass seawater through themselves, converting potential pollutants (nitrates, phosphates, various organic acids, etc.) into chemically and biologically neutral compounds.
The water becomes cleaner, safer and healthier for fish and other inhabitants of the aquarium. This also contributes to the chemical composition of living stones, enriching the water with calcium ions, magnesium, bicarbonate ions and other minerals.
Such stones can be located directly on the aquarium floor (some of them look damn impressive) and lie in the biofilter. And over time, the microorganisms inhabiting them will gradually leave their native stone apartments, finding new places in the tiny cavities of the soil or scenery, without ceasing to carry their beneficent filtering mission.
Live stones small / fight.
Exactly the same stones, only crushed to the state of a large crumb. They are used in the cavities of aquarium filters, where they become an excellent replacement for the sponge located there by default.
Unlike standard sponges, small live stones are a much more powerful barrier against harmful substances such as nitrates.
live sand for marine aquarium
Living sand has in its composition, as an inorganic substrate, and tiny forms of living organisms – invertebrates and bacteria. A 3-6 cm layer of sand at the bottom of the aquarium will carry both an aesthetic function, creating a feeling of a real seabed, as well as a whole range of practical functions that benefit the whole aquarium.
– Many fish and other inhabitants of the aquarium use living sand as an abundant and permanent source of food – living organisms contained in it multiply with enviable speed, maintaining a stable amount of organic matter in the sand. Some other fish swallow sand in order to improve digestion.
– Living sand helps in maintaining the balance of chemicals in the water. Its alkaline structure has a positive effect on the pH level, and new calcium and strontium ions, important for many inhabitants of the aquarium, are continuously released into the water.
– Of course, living sand itself is home to many biological species – starfish, snaketails, bottom digging fishes, and crustaceans. They will not be able to live in an aquarium without a sufficient layer of live sand at its bottom.
Like living stones, sand also has the ability to “age” over time. Experts recommend either to completely change it, or just periodically fill up some fresh live sand to the bottom.
It is impossible to keep the tank with live sand in the open state for more than a day, otherwise it could end in death for the organisms inhabiting it.
Summing up, we can conclude that creating a piece of the sea at home is not at all difficult and relatively budget-friendly. Completely ready system on 30 liters, will leave to you in 36.550 rubles.