maintenance, care, compatibility
It is best to make a cover for the aquarium with your own hands. First you need to decide on the material.
The most affordable and best option is foamed polyvinyl chloride (PVC). It is inexpensive, not heavy, tough and has waterproof properties.
The material is easily cut with a stationery knife, which will allow you to build the desired structure. In addition to polyvinyl chloride, you will need such tools and materials:
- Stationery knife for cutting PVC.
- Aquarium glue for plastic. It is not recommended to use PVA glue and super glue, which emit toxic substances. If there is no possibility to buy such glue, then the finished product will have to be aired longer.
- Silicone sealant and gun.
- Rubber gloves, simple pencil, ruler (30 cm).
- Corners from plastic 4 pieces.
- Self-adhesive wallpaper or acrylic paint.
After all the parts are assembled, you can begin the work on making the cover for the aquarium with your own hands. The aquarium cover should be capacious, and should contain integrated lighting and an external filtration system. The height of the bonded design is selected with the ability to hide all the details in it.
Other lid parameters, such as width and length, should fit the tank size and allow some air out of the gap.
Make all measurements using a ruler and a pencil. Leave the markings on the PVC sheet. Take a stationery knife, and cut the necessary details.
The material is easily cut, does not crumble, does not break off. Next, glue the sides to the base of the cover.
This should be done in a room where the windows are open and there is access to fresh air. As a result, you get a box with equal edges.
See how to make a cover for the aquarium with your own hands. Part 1.
Having retreated three centimeters from the top edge of the cover, glue one plastic corner in all the inner corners. It will serve as a support for the upper body of the cover.
You can create a few more edges from the same plastic. Due to the stiffness of the material, the support will stay stronger.
Turn the cover over so that the base is at the bottom and place it on a newspaper or paper. Take the sealant with silicone, and glue all the places of the seams.
When the adhesive layer dries, you can proceed to the next step.
With a stationery knife, one or two cuts should be made for the necessary hoses and wires; cut out the feed door to the fish. You can also cut a hole to replace the water, soil siphon (so that the hand, the hose, the carrying net are pushed into it). Size of each hole, choose any – the main thing is that in the future the aquarium is easy to maintain.
As a cover for each hatch, you can use PVC, which remained.
In size it should correspond to the parameters of the hole, and 2-4 cm of its side should be larger. Then the cover for the hatch will fall comfortably and will protrude slightly. Inside, the product can be pasted over with self-adhesive wallpaper, foil, and externally, the lid can be painted with acrylic paint, or not painted at all.
Now the design can be considered finished.
See how to make a cover for the aquarium with your own hands. Part 2.
Getting to the equipment of the aquarium, you can not underestimate the importance of such an element as the cover. Special ready-made design can be purchased at the pet store, and even make an order for a model that corresponds to the size of the container.
But the cover for the aquarium with his own hands, made of safe materials, will serve no less good service.
Before you learn how to make a cover for the aquarium, you should understand the designs that are sold in pet stores. Standard aquariums, which are on the shelves, often equipped with a finished cover.
They all differ in price and quality characteristics.
- Price segment. The cost of factory design varies widely. It will depend on the manufacturer, on additional elements, on the illumination equipment, on the material. In other words, any aquarist can afford a ready-made cover just by carefully studying the options.
- Dimensions. Of course, not always the lids sold in the store correspond exactly to the size of the aquarium. In this case, the best option is to purchase an aquarium with a lid. But no one has canceled the opportunity to make a cover to order. True, it will cost more.
- Color solution. Most often, the covers on the shelves are made of plastic. Usually they are made in restrained colors – gray, black, light brown. There are also transparent models. If you do not like the colors, it is easy to fix, using self-adhesive film.
- Quality. Properly selected cover will last a really long time. Largely because the finished designs are always made from a single piece of material. No seams, and therefore no leaks. The backlight built into the design, in most cases, changes in the event of a breakdown.
- Backlight. The number of bulbs in the aquarium cover is usually one or two. For some aquariums, lighting is selected in four lamps. Installing additional lighting, of course, is possible, but sometimes it can greatly spoil the appearance of the cover.
The aquarium together with its inhabitants is not only an excellent decoration of their own home, but also a fairly large responsibility, because aquarium residents need light and air in addition to timely feeding, and in order to provide all this in sufficient quantity, they have to pretty much fork out. However, if you have hands, you can independently make a cover for the aquarium, to which you attach the lamps and the air supply system.
You can make an aquarium cover out of plywood, plastic or foamed PVC of sufficient thickness that can withstand the weight of the lamps. Of course, if there are no stocks after the repair, and all the materials will have to be bought, then the “penny” cover for the aquarium will not be worth it, but it will still be much cheaper than that purchased or made to order.
A do-it-yourself do-it-yourself cover for the aquarium will meet all your requirements and provide optimal conditions for a normal pet life. So, first you need to decide what material to make the cover, and take measurements from the top of the aquarium. After this, in addition to the base material should be prepared:
Nails or screws
Scissors, hacksaw and stationery knife
The required number of lamps
Rakal – self-adhesive paper
Mirror film – for example, sun shades
Fluorescent lamps and caps for them
When working with plywood, it is necessary to cut it into pieces of the size corresponding to the aquarium and assemble according to its shape; on the cover itself, fasten the bases for the lamps and insert the paws themselves, check their serviceability. Then in the back of the cover to make holes for the air supply system. After complete assembly of the structure, glue it on the inside with a mirror film, with the outside one – color.
You can assume the cover is finished. Making the cover of plastic, problems with the cut will not be, and the assembly process itself – not too difficult.
The only frequently asked question in the manufacturing process is how to make a cover for the aquarium so that the plastic does not burst when trying to bend it in the corners. To do this, just need a little nadpilit it so that it bends clearly along the line.
So, you can make the cover yourself – you need only a little desire.