maintenance, care, compatibility
To choose the right aquarium for fish, consider the following recommendations:
- In a spacious tank, fish care will be easier. The products of their vital activity in a close aquarium quickly decompose, poisoning the water. In a spacious tank more water that will be mixed. Cleaning can be done less frequently.
- The size of the tank depends on the type of fish and their size. Before buying an aquarium, you should know which pets will be settled there. Large and gregarious fish require a large amount of swimming space. At 5-centimeter fish need 10 liters of water.
- Attention should be paid to aquascape. This shelter in the form of caves, moles, clay pots, pipes, rocks, snags and plants. Fish with bulging eyes do not need a lot of scenery due to the threat of injury.
See how to lay the soil in the aquarium.
A good filter will partially remove the waste from the aquarium, but still most of it will settle in the ground. Fish waste and food residues settle in the ground and rot and disturb the balance, stimulating the growth of algae.
In order to prevent stagnation and soil rotting, it is necessary to clean it using a special device – a soil siphon. Siphons may vary in size, shape and functionality, but the principle is the same.
Siphon for soil uses the principle of water flow. The pressure of the water washes away the light parts from the ground, and the heavy parts settle back.
The result is very useful – all the dirt goes with the flow of water, the ground is clean, the water is cleaner, the growth of algae is reduced.
Since the use of a siphon for soil requires a large amount of water, it is reasonable to carry out cleaning along with a partial substitution. That is, instead of simply draining a part of the water, you clean the soil and thereby achieve two goals at once.
For herbalists, the cleaning of the soil can only be carried out superficially, since not everywhere can it be reached. But they are much more harmful substances decomposed by the plants themselves, and silted soil contributes to good plant growth.
Despite the fact that some aquarists do not substitute water for years and say that they have everything ok, regular water changes are vital for an aquarium.
The amount of water that is worth changing varies from the conditions in your tank, but on average 10-20% per week is a normal amount for any tropical aquarium. Herbal plants or densely planted aquariums need a 10-15% change every two weeks.
The main task of the substitution is the removal of nitrates and ammonia, and the recovery of mineral balance. Without a water change, your aquarium will look good for a while, but only due to the fact that negative factors gradually accumulate.
For a long time, nitrates will accumulate, and the water becomes more and more acidic. But once the balance is broken and the aquarium will turn into a swamp.
True aquatic newts are close relatives of salamanders. Their habitat often coincides with the habitat of the latter (for example, Spanish newts).
Every year, the population of these animals is reduced, so nowadays it is possible to keep pets in home cages or in aquariums with fish. Tritons in the aquarium most often meet the following types:
- Alpine tritons;
- Spiny tritons;
- Comb tritons.
Tritons for the aquarium have an incredibly beautiful appearance, the most unusual is the Alpine triton. Comb tritons reach a size of 13-18 cm, other types of tritons are no more than 12-13 cm.
During spawning, tritons in aquariums become very bright, a temporary comb appears on the back of the males.
These handsome men should live in a cozy home filled with fresh water with plants, on the surface of the reservoir should be dry land. Since tritons are amphibians, sometimes they need to come to the surface, breathing in atmospheric air.
Content is acceptable in a water tank or aquaterrarium, resembling a natural biotope.
Look at the alpine tritons close up.
Aquaterrarium can be made by yourself with the help of decorations sold in pet shops. It turns out to build hands land, small floating islands.
Also do not forget about snags, embankments, stones, rafts. Not all cold-blooded people often appear on land, but it must be present.
Sooner or later the amphibian will come out to get some air. Newts – crawling animals to protect themselves from their sudden disappearance from the nursery, cover it with a lid.
Content is permissible with other fish, but often this is problematic, not all fish are ready to live in cool water. Sometimes amphibians are settled with snails, but there have been cases when these animals clashed and injured each other — snails seized newts into the shell, while people did not help the animals to free themselves from each other. Acceptable water temperature for amphibians – no more than 22 degrees.
Small fish such as danios, guppies, cardinals and neons can adapt to water with a low temperature range. Only here small fish will be eaten with pleasure, it is better to keep amphibians separately.
There are a number of mandatory requirements, the implementation of which will protect pets from diseases, ensuring their long and happy life. The maintenance of an aquarium or aquaterrarium is possible without additional heating, but there must be floating terrain on the surface of the water. Small islands of sand or gravel can be made by hand.
Acceptable volume of the container for settlement – not less than 15-20 liters per adult individual.
You can put several tritons in one kennel at once, they will actively play with each other, constantly contact. Amphibians are afraid of high temperature and overheating – warm water can kill them fatally. Goldfish as neighbors will not cause harm to newts, and will stay away from them.
The fact is that newts are able to “get” everyone. A number of rules on how to properly maintain and feed them:
- Aquarium water must be clean, filtered, free of nitrate, ammonia and dirt. Amphibians almost do not spoil the water, especially if the plants are in the tank. Water is recommended to stand, but not boiled.
- Animals are not demanding lighting, lamps are optional.
- These amphibians do not eat plants, but they will gladly get snails. After molting, they still eat their own skin, which they clean after themselves.
- Feed every 2 days should be small fish, earthworms, bloodworms, finely chopped boiled fish, meat, liver. Once a month, animals are prescribed an unloading diet; feeding them on this day is optional. It is recommended to periodically feed vitamins and microelements for amphibians.
- They get to multiply in captivity. The female is transplanted to another aquaterrarium, where there is a lot of dense vegetation. In the leaves fry tritonov hide from danger.
- Some razvodchiki advise not to take the animals on his hands – warm-blooded contact can burn the skin of the animal. However, not in all cases this happens. Some pets themselves are asked to hand.
- In the winter, amphibians hibernate. Then they create an ambient temperature of 0-10 degrees.
- They live 20-30 years with all the requirements.
❶ How to keep guppies :: everything about guppies :: Aquarium fish
Guppy, Perhaps the most popular type of aquarium fish. And all due to the fact that these small fish, having a variety of shapes and colors, are completely unpretentious, moreover, they are very livable with other fishes.
If you decide to have an aquarium in your house, then start by breeding these simple fish.
The question “opened a pet store. Business is not going. What to do? “- 2 answers
1. Think about the volume of an aquarium for keeping guppies. It is well known that this breed of fish does not require a huge aquarium, because guppies can live excellently and produce offspring even in a three-liter jar. But, unfortunately, the size of the fish depends on the volume of the aquarium.
And if you want to grow large enough, within its species, individuals, then you will have to forget about the three-liter can. In addition, be sure to note that if you want to add other species of fish to the guppy in the future, then the volume of your aquarium should be at least 40 centimeters in length and 50 in height.
However, be aware that it is impossible to keep guppies together with aggressive fish – the posh tail of males-guppies can turn into rags due to the constant attacks of quarrelsome neighbors.
2. Pay due attention to water quality. According to experienced aquarists, it is determined by three parameters: its purity, acidity and hardness.
3. Be sure to take into account the fact that the content of a guppy in a small-sized aquarium will cause its sufficiently rapid contamination and, as a result, the death of the fish, as their metabolic products will contribute to the spread of pathogenic bacteria. For this reason, it is better to use an aquarium with a volume of about 40 liters and more for keeping guppies in quantities greater than ten.
4. Properly select plants for the aquarium, as the right choice of plants is an important factor responsible for the purity of the water in the aquarium. So, for the purification of water, you can use the so-called Indian fern, in addition, this plant is best suited for the content of guppy.
5. Equip a bottom filter in your tank. This will help you maintain cleanliness in the aquarium, since such a filter will clean the water well, leaving it transparent and fresh.
6. Take care not to overcrow the fish in your tank. For example – for every 2 guppies you need 3-4 liters of water.
7. Pay attention to the aquarium lighting too. In specialized stores will advise you the necessary lamps.
8. Remember that guppies are viviparous and they breed well. Shortly before spawning (the ring of maturity near the anus becomes darker and the belly of the fish takes the shape of a rectangle), you will set the female into a separate aquarium, otherwise the fry will be eaten by congeners.
Note that a purchased purebred female (even when paired with a male) may already be fertilized by another male, and non-pedigree fry will be born.
9. You can feed guppies with a variety of food, as these fish are omnivorous. Fry that have appeared to the world can eat almost from birth. They need to be fed 3-5 times a day with ciliates, nauplii of cyclops and artemia, “live dust”, even crushed bloodworm or a straw piper is also suitable for feeding juveniles.
Adult fish are fed 1-2 times a day with scaled, low-fat beef, beef liver, cod meat, macrorus, omelette, etc. You can even give white bread biscuits, flakes of rolled oats. Just need to remember that the fish should not overeat, so after 15-20 minutes, when they move away from the feeder, you need to remove the remnants of food.