maintenance, care, compatibility
How to install the internal filter in the aquarium :: how long should the filter in the aquarium work :: Equipment and accessories
If you decide to install an aquarium at home, then you cannot do without an aquarium. filter. His choice should be treated with special attention, since the quality of water in your underwater kingdom will depend on this device.
1. Today, there are many varieties of aquarium filters: internal, external, bottom, aerator filters, as well as filters that produce mechanical filter(as filter used filter thread, sponge or crumb), chemical filter(using activated carbon or zeolite), as well as biofiltertion (microorganisms are used in the filter that purify water from harmful impurities).
2. The filter must be selected based on the volume of the aquarium, as well as the functions that it will have to perform. For example, external filters are easy to use, and bottom filters help create a more favorable microflora in the aquarium, and they need to be cleaned every two to three years. For small aquariums, an ideal option would be a filter aerator, which combines the functions of cleaning and saturating water with oxygen.
In any case, before you choose any specific filter, you should consult with a specialist.
3. Before installing the filter, carefully read the instructions. If you purchased a chemical filter, you must fill it with the adsorbent that comes with it.
4. Before installation filter prepare an aquarium. Rinse it thoroughly and fill it with water to see if the seams are leaking.
Drain and place pre-prepared soil on the bottom of the aquarium. If you purchased a bottom filter, you must first install it under the ground. Pour about one third of the water, then plant the plants.
If you choose an internal filter, then you need to install it at this very moment. Attach the filter with special velcro or retaining bracket, then fill the aquarium with water to the required level.
An external filter can be installed after filling the aquarium with water.
5. After filling the aquarium, turn on the filter in order to check its operation. While the aquarium will be balanced (about two weeks), the filter must be kept on.
As soon as you see that the water has disappeared from the water, then you can safely inhabit your underwater world with fish.
When buying an aquarium, do not forget that in addition to appeasement from it, you will still take care of its inhabitants and their habitat, that is, an aquarium. Regularly keep it clean.
When the aquarium is already installed, it is filled with water and fish are running into it, it is very difficult and problematic to rearrange it. Therefore, it must be properly installed from the start.
Make sure that the place and stand where you are going to put it – will hold the weight of the aquarium, do not forget, the mass can reach large values. Be sure to check the distortions using the level, even if you think that everything is smooth.
Do not place the aquarium so that the edges hang from the stand. It is fraught with the fact that it just crumbles.
The aquarium should stand on a stand all the bottom surface.
Glue the background before installing the aquarium; the easiest way to do this is to put a thin layer of glycerin on the background. Glycerin is sold in a pharmacy.
Do not forget that the aquarium should be free space for maintenance and pipe filter. Finally, when the place is chosen and it is reliable, do not forget the substrate under the aquarium, which will smooth out the irregularities and help to more evenly distribute the load on the bottom of the aquarium.
As a rule, it comes complete with an aquarium, do not forget to check with the seller.
Running aquarium – a detailed video in several parts:
After the aquarium is full, you can proceed to the installation and testing of equipment. The heater should be installed in a place with a good flow, for example, near the filter.
So the water will warm up more evenly. Do not forget that the heater must be completely submerged under water! Modern heaters are sealed, they work completely under water.
Do not try to bury it in the ground, or the heater will break or the bottom of the aquarium will crack! Set the temperature to about 24-25 ° C, as it warms up, check with a thermometer.
Unfortunately, heaters can give a difference of 2-3 degrees. Most of them have a light bulb that lights up in the process of work, you can understand from it when it is on.
Internal filter – if the filter does not need aeration (for example, there is a compressor), then it should be placed on the very bottom, since all the dirt accumulates there. If you sculpt it in 10-20 cm above the ground, then there will be no sense from it, and the whole bottom will be littered with garbage. The closer to the surface, the better the aeration, if needed.
So the filter mounting is the choice of the optimal depth – it is necessary that it be as low as possible, but at the same time, aeration works … And this is already determined by experience. But it is better to read the instructions for the model that you purchased.
When you turn on the filter for the first time, air will come out of it, perhaps even more than once. Do not worry, it will take several hours before all the air is cleaned with water.
External filter is a little more difficult to connect, but again – read the instructions. Be sure to place the pipes for intake and discharge of water in different ends of the aquarium.
This will eliminate dead spots, places where the water in the aquarium stagnates. It is better to place water intake near the bottom, and do not forget to put a protection on it – a prefilter, so that fish or large debris do not accidentally suck in.
External filter must be filled before work. That is, before being included in the network, it is filled with water using a manual pump.
I’ll tell you that on some models it is not so easy, I had to suffer. As in the internal filter, in the external one there is air that will be released with time. But at first, the filter can work quite loudly, do not be afraid.
If you want to speed up the process, gently tilt the filter at different angles or shake slightly.