maintenance, care, compatibility
Algae in an aquarium, how to get rid of and fight with all their species
An algal flash is a visual indication of a violation (absence) of a biobalance in an aquarium. This is the loss of any link in the balance!
How to remove algae from an aquarium :: green algae in an aquarium :: Care and nurture
One of the most pressing concerns of most aquarists is the removal of unwanted algae from aquarium. Very often, all attempts to do this in the shortest possible time are unsuccessful.
Every aquarist should know that different types of algae should be removed from the aquarium in different ways.
The question “How does a little girl retrain to go to the tray (she is 4 months old)? “- 3 answers
1. filamentous seaweed, representing the long green threads, covering the scenery, soil and large plants, do not interfere with the work of the aquarium or the fish. But the aesthetic impression they spoil pretty much. To remove these algae from the aquarium, take a regular fork and wind them on it like spaghetti.
Remove harder algae by hand, carefully trimming the leaves of large plants shrouded in them.
2. Brown algae, as a rule, populate only a new aquarium and disappear within a few weeks after their appearance. If this does not happen, add small catfish in the aquarium.
Only they are able to remove the brown algae in the shortest time.
3. Too bright light, excess fertilizer and excess carbon dioxide supplied to the aquarium contribute to the spread of green algae, which is a velvety fluffy carpet of interlaced threads. To get rid of them, weaken the intensity of the aquarium lighting and plant fast-growing ornamental plants in it that will compete with green algae for nutrients. Get viviparous fish, for example, guppies and swordsmen.
They will also help you fight off the appearance and reproduction of green algae.
4. The appearance of blue-green algae, forming a layered film on the ground, indicates a strong pollution of water with phosphates and nitrates. To get rid of them, use the siphon.
5. To remove red algae from the aquarium, which form red fluff or long thin threads on its decorative elements, place a special resin in the aquarium filtration system, which can be purchased at a specialized pet store.
6. The most undesirable resident of the aquarium is “Vietnamese”. With her dark tassels, she can cover absolutely all surfaces.
You can only remove these algae manually.
Algae in the aquarium are a sign of an established biobalance. They appear on plants, stones, glass walls, and even on equipment.
However, their rapid growth means that fundamental changes are taking place in the aquatic environment. In an aquarium where there are a lot of plants, algae will not appear in large quantities.
Good aeration and water filtration will stop their growth. Timely removal of food residue and dirt contributes to the purity of water. If you notice that brown formations appear in the reservoir, it means that brown algae have settled in it.
How to get rid of kelp and suspend their reproduction?
The origin of brown algae, symptoms of formation
Brown algae spread very quickly, the parasite cells from one plant quickly pass to the neighboring leaves. In addition, brown patina can be a substrate for another parasite – a black beard, which is derived even more difficult.
What to do in order to prevent the growth of algae in the aquarium and destroy them forever?
- The aquarium should be lighting 10-12 hours a day, no more. Do not place the tank in place of direct sunlight. Bacteria that are sources of algae multiply easily by light.
- The overpopulation of the nursery with fish is a source of nitrates that the plants do not have time to assimilate. If you have a lot of fish, the tank should be spacious.
- If there are such fish in the tank as mollies, Siamese algae, antsistrusy, loricaria, catfish ottsinklyusy, then they will help to fight with a brown touch, eating it. Also, algae love snail neretina.
- Do not overfeed fish, remove food debris from the bottom with a siphon or a net.
- Regularly replace your aquarium water with clean water once a week.
- If a nitrogenous cycle is not established in a recently launched aquarium, an algae outbreak is more likely. The process of forming a biological balance lasts 1-2 weeks, at this time do not settle there fish and do not make large water changes. If the water level of nitrates 50 mg per 1 liter, the water should be well filtered and replaced with a new one. Take measurements of water parameters constantly.
See how you can get rid of the brown algae in the aquarium with the help of Theodoxus snails.
If you notice that brown algae appeared in a newly launched aquarium, and they began to spread in large quantities, then the fight with them will be easy. Observe the correct mode of maintenance of the tank, and in 2-3 weeks the problem will be solved. Carry out regular cleaning of the aquarium, change 20-30% of water once a week.
When aquarium plants begin to grow, the algae will disappear due to the large amount of dissolved oxygen.
When an algae outbreak happened in an aquarium with “old” water, it is necessary to replace water already 2 times in 7 days, changing 30% of the volume of water. When replacing it is necessary to thoroughly clean the tank from excess food, waste products of fish.
Use a scraper to clean the glass of the aquarium, wipe the bottom, clean the decorations and plants with a toothbrush or a clean sponge.
Check the degree of contamination of the filter, if the filtration rate has decreased, then the filter is clogged. Clean the filter, but do not change its contents.
Reduce the length of daylight hours to 6 hours a day for several days, and the next 2 weeks bring it up to 10 hours gradually. If the lamps work for 1 year, it is better to replace them with new ones, but not all at once, but in turn.
Brown scurf appears in the tank in a week, and it takes almost a month to fight it.
There are chemicals that can affect diatoms. Some funds worsen the situation, delay the reproduction of beneficial microorganisms, from which the fish will suffer. Drugs that can help with the removal of brown plaque, should be used according to the instructions.
Be careful and cautious – some chemicals can harm not only parasites, but also plants with fish.
- Tetra Algetten – drug in the form of water-soluble tablets, used for the prevention and destruction of algae. It dissolves gradually over a month, the number of parasitic formations decreases gradually. After 4-7 days, the first changes will be noticeable. Dosage – 1 tablet per 10 liters of water.
- Sera Algovec – the tool destroys all types of algae in the aquarium. Dosage: 5 ml per 20 liters of water. After applying the drug, it is necessary to slice away all dead residues mechanically, there should be good aeration in the water.
The raid in the aquarium, on the walls and stones: green, brown, brown, white, mucus in the aquarium!
All types of aquarium plaque.
Green scurf in aquarium,
white bloom in the aquarium
mucus in the aquarium.
This article is devoted to such a problem of “aquarium hygiene,” as plaque on the walls of the aquarium. So:
First of all, Plaque on the aquarium walls or glass is not formed from the good life of the aquarium world – in other words, in your aquarium, something is wrong. And to eliminate any plaque on the walls of the aquarium, you first need to restore balance of aquarium environment.
This is achieved by proper and regular cleaning of the aquarium, as well as the use of necessary drugs in case of deviation from the norm. It should be noted that excessive care: cleaning and changing aquarium water can also lead to adverse consequences. Accurate recommendations regarding this issue are difficult to give, because it all depends on: the volume of your aquarium, the types of fish, plants, the location of the aquarium, etc.
In general, you should follow general recommendations – i.e. recommendations on weekly cleaning of the aquarium and cleaning equipment. I would also recommend you to remember that old aquarium water is always better than fresh water – do not overdo it with cleaning and changing water.
Remember the balance of plants and fish, never overload the aquarium, do not make him a hostel. In your arsenal should always be the primary means of response: aquarium coal, methylene blue or malachite green.
Secondly, all types of raids – “clouding of the aquarium walls”, are caused by various factors or pests. Actually, therefore, all the attacks can be divided into color: on green raids in an aquarium (green-brown), white raids in an aquarium (whitish) or aquarium mucus.
How to deal with them. Simple enough!
Relative to green scale on the walls of the aquarium, which can also be formed and the decorations of the aquarium (artificial plants, stone). This plaque is caused by excessive “water blooming” – the formation of an uncontrolled amount of algae.
This plaque is caused by the lack of care for the aquarium and as a result of an excess of organic matter (ammonia decomposition products).
Remedy: clean the aquarium, replace the aquarium water with fresh water, turn off (do not turn on the backlight), increase the filtration and aeration of the aquarium; in the pet store you can buy tablets from flowering – from algae. I will cite as an example, one of them – TETRA tablets for algae control.
TetraAqua AlgoStop depo – These are soluble pills for controlling algae development. Effectively destroys various algae in freshwater aquariums, including black beard ” and blue-green algae, and also prevents their further growth.
Mode of application: Tablets are placed on the ground in the free flow area. The drug lasts for 6 weeks, after which the tablets are removed from the water. Tablets contain a complex of substances that are gradually released into the water.
The tablet does not dissolve completely, but retains its original shape. After 6 weeks, it ceases to release the active substances and must be removed from the water. The slow dissolution of the drug in water allows you to use the active substances AlgoStop depot, for a long period of time.
With proper use of the drug does not harm aquarium fish and plants.
Dosage:For prevention: 1 tab. on 50 l. water. For the destruction of filamentous algae: 1 tablet per 25 liters of water.
The article on other Tetra algae tablets is here!
The above preparations also cope with other types of algae with brown patina (diatoms), filament (green threads), black villi (black beard).
Aquarium: walls, decorations or equipment covered with white bloom – whitish mucus, what to do?
How to get rid of greenery in an aquarium :: how to remove green bloom in an aquarium :: Fish aquarium
Beautiful aquarium is a true decoration of any apartment. But if you do not take care of him or disturb biological balance with inept actions, all beauty disappears.
Glass overgrown, water can turn green from the rapid development of single-celled algae. How in this case to restore the broken balance?
The question “opened a pet store. Business is not going. What to do? “- 2 answers
1. The rapid development of algae, which cause water to bloom, occurs when the aquarium has a bright light, high temperature and high nutrient content in the water. The reason for the latter is often the use of too much dry food – the inhabitants of the aquarium do not have time to eat everything and, as a result, the remains rot and decompose.
2. Faced with the bloom of water, do not try to clean it by partial substitution. When adding fresh water, you bring mineral substances into the aquarium and the algae you need; as a result, the flowering of the water only increases.
3. To restore disturbed biological balance, turn off the aquarium lighting. If it is located close to the window, hang the window, protecting the aquarium from direct sunlight. Stop feeding the fish – a week-long hunger strike will not only hurt them, but on the contrary, will benefit.
Let the aeration work, the oxygen that enters the water will accelerate the oxidation of the decay products of feed and the purification of water. Remove trash from the bottom using the siphon.
During the week you will be able to restore the normal mode of the aquarium.
4. One of the ways to combat blooming water is to use daphnia. Run into the aquarium a large number of crustaceans – enough that the fish did not have time to eat them immediately. Single-celled algae are food for daphnids; during the day, water in aquarium will become clean.
This method requires a good aeration of the aquarium – otherwise daphnids may die, which will only increase flowering.
5. The indirect reason for the rapid development of algae is a small number of plants in aquarium. When there are many plants, they actively absorb minerals, as a result, algae for their rapid development are not enough.
6. Even in a normally functioning aquarium the walls are gradually covered with a thin green patina. Clean this coating with a razor blade scraper. If the patina is brown, this indicates a lack of coverage of the aquarium.
The back wall of the aquarium can not be cleaned.