maintenance, care, compatibility
Algae in the aquarium are a sign of an established biobalance. They appear on plants, stones, glass walls, and even on equipment.
However, their rapid growth means that fundamental changes are taking place in the aquatic environment. In an aquarium where there are a lot of plants, algae will not appear in large quantities.
Good aeration and water filtration will stop their growth. Timely removal of food residue and dirt contributes to the purity of water. If you notice that brown formations appear in the reservoir, it means that brown algae have settled in it.
How to get rid of kelp and suspend their reproduction?
The origin of brown algae, symptoms of formation
If you notice that brown algae appeared in a newly launched aquarium, and they began to spread in large quantities, then the fight with them will be easy. Observe the correct mode of maintenance of the tank, and in 2-3 weeks the problem will be solved. Carry out regular cleaning of the aquarium, change 20-30% of water once a week.
When aquarium plants begin to grow, the algae will disappear due to the large amount of dissolved oxygen.
When an algae outbreak happened in an aquarium with “old” water, it is necessary to replace water already 2 times in 7 days, changing 30% of the volume of water. When replacing it is necessary to thoroughly clean the tank from excess food, waste products of fish.
Use a scraper to clean the glass of the aquarium, wipe the bottom, clean the decorations and plants with a toothbrush or a clean sponge.
Check the degree of contamination of the filter, if the filtration rate has decreased, then the filter is clogged. Clean the filter, but do not change its contents.
Reduce the length of daylight hours to 6 hours a day for several days, and the next 2 weeks bring it up to 10 hours gradually. If the lamps work for 1 year, it is better to replace them with new ones, but not all at once, but in turn.
Brown scurf appears in the tank in a week, and it takes almost a month to fight it.
There are chemicals that can affect diatoms. Some funds worsen the situation, delay the reproduction of beneficial microorganisms, from which the fish will suffer.
Drugs that can help with the removal of brown plaque, should be used according to the instructions. Be careful and cautious – some chemicals can harm not only parasites, but also plants with fish.
- Tetra Algetten – drug in the form of water-soluble tablets, used for the prevention and destruction of algae. It dissolves gradually over a month, the number of parasitic formations decreases gradually. After 4-7 days, the first changes will be noticeable. Dosage – 1 tablet per 10 liters of water.
- Sera Algovec – the tool destroys all types of algae in the aquarium. Dosage: 5 ml per 20 liters of water. After applying the drug, it is necessary to slice away all dead residues mechanically, there should be good aeration in the water.
Blackbeard in the aquarium, hydrogen peroxide.
This alga does not cause any harm to the fish living in the aquarium. However, black beard harms plants, especially slow-growing plants.
This weed envelops the grass, and to remove the alga, you have to throw out the plant completely or most of it.
The main reason many aquarists struggle with a black beard is the aesthetic side of the issue. After all, who wants to see nasty growths that look like mold in the well-kept underwater world?
In this blog, I would like to share my own experience as I defeated the black beard of alga. This nasty thing came to me from the store when I bought a wonderful and very beautiful Kobomb plant. After 15 days, my plants were covered with black hair, the alga prevents the plant from developing by absorbing light, there are many ways to combat algae, but I chose 3% hydrogen peroxide .
I remember as a child in the Soviet Union, this method was quite effective. Before using peroxide, you need to reduce the diet of aquarium fish to stop feeding, do not change the water, do not add fertilizer to aquarium plants.
Reduce the light day of the watch for two, then I did the following, removed all the plants from the aquarium where I could clean the black beard using the blade, then poured 500 grams of water from the aquarium into the plastic bowl and added 20 ml of hydrogen peroxide there and the whole thing stood 20 minutes, after this not complicated procedure, I changed the water, poured it clean and for another hour
. After that I didn’t see a single beard hair. At once I would like to draw your attention to the fact that aquarium plants with soft and tender leaves can suffer from such procedures, but plants with hard leaves and resistant stems tolerate peroxide with a bang. Over the next 5 days I continued to add to the aquarium at 20 ml
I did this in a 100 liter aquarium; I took a syringe and poured it under the roots of aquarium plants. It is very important to understand that the calculation goes 20 ml per 100 liters, 10 ml per 50 liters should not be overdone, with the right dosage the fish feel great.
But it is also not superfluous to say that before you fight with algae, you must find the cause of the appearance of a black beard and only then proceed to the treatment of the aquarium.
The reasons can be a huge variety of this strong lighting or weak, bust with fertilizers, as well as a general violation of the biological balance. Yes, and get in the aquarium a couple of saetheses, they are algae.
There is another option. He is recognized as the most environmentally friendly of all, however, for its implementation it will be necessary to invest money and own time in search of inhabitants who would eat a black beard. The only fish that feed on this type of algae are Siamese seaweed and antsitrus.
They are able to cope with all existing volumes in about a couple of weeks.
However, there is another side to this method. Blackbeard is not the most delicious plant for fish.
To seaweed or antsitrusy got to them, they can not be fed. This cannot be done while there are other inhabitants there.
Yes, and they will not begin to fight harmful algae immediately, while in the aquarium there will be younger, green and succulent plants, these fish will eat them.
Another type of inhabitants of the aquarium, capable of coping with the nuisance – snail ampulyaria. They need a lot, about a hundred of the smallest individuals. The smaller they are, the more effectively they fight a beard.
Ideal if they do not exceed the size of a match head. After they have cleaned everything in the aquarium, they should be selected and removed.
If this is not done, the kids will start to grow and completely eat up all the green things in the pond.
Blackbeard algae in the aquarium.
It grows quite rapidly, and the struggle with it takes a lot of time. Even special chemicals and reduced illumination give only short-term results.
To defeat a beard, you need a whole range of measures, time and attention. bba1 (1) So, let’s start with water, it will have to be changed regularly, in especially neglected cases it will have to be done every day, replacing from 10 to 25% of the liquid.
And the water that you will pour also should not contain phosphates and nitrates. You will need to control their level using ion exchange filters.
Despite the risk of green algae, it is necessary to increase the light level somewhere up to 0.5-1 W per 1 liter of water at 12 hours per day of continuous operation.
It will be necessary to clean the soil from the remnants of food, and to remove dead leaves from plants. Also, it would be nice to have certain types of fish and snails that help in cleaning the aquariums from unwanted waste products and algae.
An aquarium with a black beard is a big problem that is not so easy to get rid of. The second name of the parasite is “Vietnamese”, the scientific name is Compsopogon coeruleus, the kingdom of Crimson. In an aquarium, a black beard can be seen when black threadlike growths 20 mm long appear that grow and resemble moss.
The parasite lives on slow-growing plants, so its destruction should take into account the parameters of water and features of the host plant.
Vietnamese algae got this name due to the fact that they were brought from Southeast Asia along with thermophilic tropical plants. It means that they love warm water, in which they actively develop.
It is known that Compsopogon coeruleus is a very long-lasting algae, which penetrates the plant tissue, firmly attached to the soil substrate, to the walls and equipment of the reservoir. From a biological point of view, it is not a parasitic species, however it causes significant damage to the plant, destroying its tissues, shading the leaves, preventing the absorption of useful substances.
In the literal sense, the diseased plant is “choking”.
- Algae “black beard” are removed by chemical preparations – boric and brown acid, antibiotics. The first two tools are very effective, but will harm fish and other broadleaf plants.
- The biological method is to run into the tank of fish that eat black algae: Labo, Siamese seaweed, Catfish antsistrus, fish of the family Karpazubye. They clean the diseased plant from the parasite, but do not completely destroy it.
Look at how Stiphodon graceful eats “Vietnamese” algae.
- Changing the parameters and conditions of water in the aquarium – after this process, harmful algae can not live. The hardness of the water should be brought to the level of 8 dGh. In order for the new water that you add during the replacement to be exactly like this, 2 ml of calcium chloride solution should be added to 1 liter of water. The pH can be adjusted to alkaline: this will help 1 gram of food soda per 5 liters of water. The conditions of the water must be changed gradually so that the living creatures will not suffer, or temporarily transfer them to another aquarium.
- Get rid of excess organic matter – food debris provides the basis for the development of a harmful environment. Keep the bottom clean, do not overfeed fish, remove excess food with a net or siphon.
- Replace water in a timely manner – 20-30% of old water should be replaced with fresh and clean water once a week. These methods will not immediately give a result, but you will notice that in 2-3 months the number of black beards has decreased.
- Coal dust will help destroy the Vietnamese algae in a matter of days. Add this powder to the water, stirring until the dust settles. In a few tricks, the beard will completely disappear. Fish should be deposited from the aquarium with coal dust.
- If the indicated methods did not produce results, do daily 10–25% of water changes. New water should be free of chlorine, ammonia, phosphates and nitrates. Determine its parameters using instruments with indicators. Nitrates and phosphates – a nutrient medium for all types of algae.
How to get rid of green algae in an aquarium :: how to deal with greens in an aquarium :: Care and nurture
Many aquarists at least once, but faced the problem of fouling the aquarium with green algae. They easily adapt to different conditions and grow quickly.
The sooner you start fighting them, the sooner you get rid of them.
The question “How does a little girl retrain to go to the tray (she is 4 months old)? “- 3 answers
1. The most effective means of combating green algae is to reduce daylight hours to 6-8 hours. Also should reduce the brightness of the illuminating lamps.
2 Seaweed they do not like being touched or moved. It is therefore necessary as education to collect them siphon or wound on a stick.
Increase the filter capacity so that a strong stream of water prevents the algae from settling. On the contrary, aeration should be reduced.
Seaweed do not like a small amount of oxygen in the water. Also launch the plants floating on the surface of the aquarium – they will shade the algae.
3. Once you notice the green algae, change the water change mode to aquarium. Try to change 10-20% of water daily.
So you will not let algae get used to the aquarium environment.
4. Pet shops sell special products for the prevention and control of green algae. But carefully read the label – they are harmful to some types of aquarium plants.
Chemicals do not eliminate the cause of algae. They eliminate only the visible greens, but disputes still remain. If you need an emergency method of dealing with green algae, then these drugs are just for you.
After these funds, conduct the above methods for a week for prevention.
If you can’t get rid of green algae, then as a cardinal method you can re-launch the aquarium. To do this, prepare a new distilled water.
Wash the aquarium and all accessories with chlorine.
Some species of fish (catfish, mollies) eat green algae. They will save you from the greenery in those places where you find it difficult to reach.
Snails that feed on algae and food debris can be an alternative to fish.
Before planting new plants in the aquarium, be sure to wash them in a special solution. It is prepared using a 5% bleach solution, which must be diluted with water at a ratio of 1:20.