maintenance, care, compatibility
How to get rid of a black beard in an aquarium. Blackbeard in aquarium
Many aquarists face such a problem as a black beard in an aquarium. Ugly black plaque, bunches of fine hairs cover everything: plants, soil, jewelry, snags, glass. Why does the black beard aquarium strike?
How to get rid of this scourge?
What is black beard? Compsopogon coeruleus is a multicellular alga in the form of black and brown fine threads that can reach a length of 5 cm.
It usually affects higher plants, but can attach to any surface.
This alga breeds at a high rate and can cover all the plants in the aquarium. From it is very difficult to clear the snags and ornaments.
Methods of dealing with a black beard in an aquarium can be different, but it can be completely difficult to get rid of it completely.
Black beard in an aquarium usually appears after buying new plants or decorations. Therefore, it is very important to prevent the appearance of this trouble.
Spores of this algae do not spread through the air.
After buying new plants, they need to be kept in quarantine for several days. With the appearance of black bloom on the leaves to use such bushes are not worth it. Also, new plants can be treated with solutions of bleach, potassium permanganate or hydrogen peroxide.
Keeping the plants in a disinfecting solution needs only a few minutes (for delicate species, the time can be shortened), then rinse them in cool running water.
Of great importance is the condition of the aquarium. If the biofiltration is violated in the tank, the owners neglect the rules of care, do not change the water, do not siphon the soil and overfeed the fish, then the risk of the appearance of a black beard increases. In an aquarium with a balanced balance, algae will not multiply and quickly disappear on their own.
But in the problematic beard will appear again and again.
Therefore, it matters not only how to get rid of a black beard in an aquarium, but also how to prevent its recurrence.
How to get rid of a black beard in the aquarium with the help of fish? There is a version that you can do this if you have fish that feed on this type of algae.
This Siamese seaweed and antsitrus. If you run these fish into the aquarium, they will eat all the growths in a few weeks.
But not everything is so simple. Blackbeard is pretty tough and reluctant to eat it. To fish paid attention to it, they can not be fed. Make it in the general aquarium, if necessary, to give food to other inhabitants is quite problematic.
In addition, sweepers may prefer other, more delicate plants when present.
Other types of cleaners are useless for this task, since nobody eats a black beard anymore, shrimps and large snails as well.
Another method of fighting with animals is to launch into the affected aquarium a whole handful (about a hundred) of small young snails ampoules, no larger than a match head. These kids are great at algae.
After the black beard is finished, the ampoule must be harvested and removed from the aquarium before they start using healthy plants.
The nature itself can tell how to get rid of a black beard in an aquarium, because the appearance of algae in an aquarium often indicates a violation of the biological balance.
In the aquarium should be clean. Organic compounds must be periodically removed.
Weekly you need to produce a siphon of the soil, change 20-30% of the water. As part of the fight against algae, water can be changed daily at 10-15%.
Do not allow overcrowding. Fish cannot be overfed: all food must be eaten within 5 minutes. Blackbeard gets nourishment from the water, so reducing the flow will also help in dealing with the problem.
Higher plants should receive enough light and nutrients in the form of fertilizers. Their rapid growth will help get rid of algae.
So, now you know how to get rid of a black beard in an aquarium. It remains to choose the appropriate method for your conditions.
Extremely unpleasant disaster is a black beard in an aquarium. This is an extremely harmful algae, which gives a lot of problems to both beginners and experienced aquarists.
For fish and other inhabitants of the aquarium, it does not pose a danger, but for aquarium plants, this is a real deadly threat that almost eats them alive. Having noticed the first signs of the appearance of a black beard in an aquarium, it is necessary to act promptly to get rid of it.
Before you fight a black beard, you need to understand what is the reason for its growth. The main catalyst for the growth of algae becomes an excess of organic matter.
This may occur due to several factors.
- The neglect of the aquarium. This seaweed adores stagnant water and sludge on the ground, flavored with constant filtration and aeration. Organic matter and oxygen create an optimal environment for the development of a black beard.
- Overpopulation aquarium. Every inhabitant of the aquarium eats and leaves waste. A large number of fish and other inhabitants in the same tank create the best conditions for the development of algae.
- In addition, to bring a black beard into the aquarium environment is possible with other plants. Always be attentive to newly acquired specimens from other people’s aquariums.
- Blackbeard grows progressively with a high concentration of phosphates and nitrates – salts, which are formed during poor care of the aquarium and are often found in fertilizers for plants.
Quite a radical method. For chemical exposure use antibiotics, boric acid, furatsilin or any special means that can be purchased at pet stores. To fight a beard in this way is quite risky.
Not all drugs are safely tolerated by other plants. Fish, snails and other inhabitants of the aquarium can also be affected.
A fish that eats a black beard is placed in an aquarium. These are antsistrusy, labo, and girinohailu.
Other fish-cleaners and snails with a beard will not cope. Having started the cleaner, reduce the amount of feed: if the fish eats a lot, the alga will not interest it.
The fish will visibly clear the aquarium from the black beard, but they cannot completely destroy it.
The most effective way to remove algae completely. But he requires patience and time.
- Hardness of water. The minimum at which the algae becomes uncomfortable – 8 °. To achieve this indicator, 2 ml of calcium chloride solution is diluted with 1 liter of prepared for replacement water.
- PH indicator. It is recommended to shift it to an alkaline environment, diluting 1 gram of baking soda by 5 liters.
- Aeration and filtration. The alga has no developed rhizome, and all nutrients it sucks directly from the water. Filters create a current that drives to the beard not only water, but also food. Try to reduce the power of the flow. But so that the fish do not suffer without oxygen, purchase special aquarium plants that produce gas.
- Aquarium plants. Populate the fast-growing plants in the aquarium. At the same time increase the light intensity and the amount of carbon dioxide. In this case, the growth of higher plants is stimulated, they begin to actively absorb nutrients. Blackbeard just will not get anything in such conditions. After treatment, they can be removed.
- Physical impact. To speed up the process of destroying the pest, try to mechanically remove to the maximum the blackbeard thickets from all surfaces.
- The level of population of the aquarium. Estimate the number of fish in your tank. It may be worth relocating some inhabitants or giving them to good hands. Also note if the population of the aquarium eats too much? Feed the fish so that they eat the food for five minutes and it does not sink to the bottom.
- The use of fertilizers with phosphates and nitrates also feeds the beard. Using them, try to put fertilizer under the roots of aquarium plants. Do not forget to regularly clean the soil, as these substances are formed during the decomposition of waste.
If the aquarium is severely neglected, daily water changes may be required (approximately 10-20%).
Changing conditions in the aquarium is considered the best way, but it takes much more time. To achieve the effect, you will have to wait 1-2 months.
In this case, we must not forget that the conditions in the aquarium should be changed gradually, in 7-10 days, in order not to injure its inhabitants.
From the appearance of a black beard, no one is immune. But it is better to try to prevent the problem than to get rid of it painstakingly, because this struggle can be pretty exhausting.
- Keep the aquarium clean. Regularly change the water, siphon the ground and do not overfeed the fish.
- Control phosphate and nitrate levels in the medium. Properly use fertilizers. In order to regulate the level of organic matter, snails from ampulyaria will come to the rescue: this inhabitant of the aquarium eats organic residues that accumulate on the walls, soil and stones.
- Disinfect new plants. No matter how reliable the source is, it is better to play it safe and handle the new tenant. For the disinfection of plants using a weak solution of chlorine, potassium permanganate or hydrogen peroxide.
To get rid of black beard, it will take a lot of patience. Do not stop halfway and be sure to bring the treatment to completion.
This will be a valuable experience, and you will be ready for a new meeting with the pest. But still, knowing the reasons for its occurrence, it is better to try not to let the uninvited guest into the aquarium.
The most radical method is the chemical one, which provides for the use of such agents as brown and boric acid or antibiotics. The tool is effective, but it inevitably harms fish and useful plants, which can even be expressed in their death. The next way is biological, which is to run into the aquarium of fish that feed on this alga: the black beard in the aquarium is afraid of live-bearing carpsit, antsistrusov, labo.
They can significantly clear the aquarium from the thickets of harmful plants, but they will not be able to completely overcome it.
The best way to fight is to change the conditions in the aquarium.
How to get rid of black beard completely? Practice shows that the most effective means is to change the conditions of the environment in the aquarium so that it becomes extremely uncomfortable for the black beard to live in it.
- Pay attention to water hardness. Anyone who is interested in how to get rid of a black beard, you need to know that the water hardness should be reduced to at least 8 °. To do this, in the water prepared for replacement, you must add a ten percent solution of calcium chloride (2 ml of solution is taken for 1 l of water).
- Experts to combat black beard recommend to shift the PH in the aquarium to the alkaline side. To this end, add 1 g of baking soda to 5 liters of water.
- Excess organic in the aquarium is an ally of the “Vietnamese”, which is rapidly developing in such an environment. Therefore, the bottom should be cleaned more often and the fish should be given food in moderate quantities so that its particles do not float in water. In order to prevent excess organic matter, you should replace at least a quarter of the volume of water every week.
The described method gives an excellent result, but you have to wait a half to two months. In this case, note that the conditions need to be changed smoothly for about 10 days, so as not to shock the inhabitants of the aquarium.
Fighting a black beard is also possible with the following remedy. Pour a large amount of coal dust into the water and mix it thoroughly.
Coal dust will settle mainly on the “Vietnamese”, which after a few days will begin to die. To completely get rid of the “beard”, will require several such procedures.
Of course, all the fish should be planted out of the aquarium beforehand.
Other ways to deal with a black beard in an aquarium
On how to get rid of a black beard, there are many recommendations aquarists. If the above methods did not help, you should try to act differently.
It happens that the aquarium is very neglected, so at first it may be necessary to change from 10 to 25% of water every day. In the water, which is designed for an aquarium, there should be no nitrates and phosphates, which are an excellent nutrient medium for different algae, and black beard is not an exception.
There should be a sufficient number of fast-growing plants in the aquarium. So that they develop normally, you should feed them with fertilizers. Fertilizers should not contain phosphates, and the percentage of nitrates depends on the number of them in the aquarium.
In addition, potash fertilizers are essential for plant growth. They need to make a lot, but within reason – to the growth of algae, they will not lead.
You can prepare a mixture for fertilizer on your own, which allows you to perfectly match the ratio of all trace elements. It is worth paying particular attention to the percentage of nitrates – ideally, their content should be at the level of 5 mg in 1 liter of water. If there is no nitrate in the water at all, then the plants stop absorbing phosphates, which can lead to the development of a black beard in the aquarium.
To the process went faster, run into the aquarium fish that feed on algae: antsistrus, Siamese algae.
Blackbeard in the aquarium, hydrogen peroxide.
Blackbeard – a weed algae that covers the leaves and trunks of underwater plants, stones and other objects in the aquarium. Blackbeard grows in aquariums, where water is rarely changed, this plant covers even the walls of the tank.
Blackbeard is the thinnest plexus of black and dark green villi that envelop everything around like fluff.
Blackbeard can live in any aquarium, but it progresses in growth and development only with a lack of proper care. Blackbeard can grow in the wrong light, with a lack of oxygen, as well as if you are overfeeding fish.
Here are some of the main reasons why black moss can live in your tank.
- If you rarely wash an aquarium and almost do not change the water in it, you can confidently expect the appearance of a black beard in your possessions. If you decide to start a fish – pay more attention to your pets and their home.
- Blackbeard can get to your aquarium with new underwater plants. If you bought a plant, you need to lower it into the aquarium and move it from side to side. If the plant is infected with a black beard, small black hairs will visibly sway. You can not make such a plant in a healthy environment. The same applies to decorative elements, kryag.
- If you have not changed fluorescent lamps for a long time, their light gradually loses brightness. Such dim lighting is a breeding ground for a black beard.
- If you give fish a lot of food – the remnants of this food can be the cause and growth of algae in aquariums. Some fish feed on a black beard, but will not do so if you feed them with a more attractive meal.
- If you have too many fish in an aquarium, some of them need to be removed. Fish are sources of nitrates and phosphates, which stimulate the development of a black beard.
This alga does not cause any harm to the fish living in the aquarium. However, black beard harms plants, especially slow-growing plants.
This weed envelops the grass, and to remove the alga, you have to throw out the plant completely or most of it.
The main reason many aquarists struggle with a black beard is the aesthetic side of the issue. After all, who wants to see nasty growths that look like mold in the well-kept underwater world?
In this blog, I would like to share my own experience as I defeated the black beard of alga. This nasty thing came to me from the store when I bought a wonderful and very beautiful Kobomb plant. After 15 days, my plants were covered with black hair, the alga prevents the plant from developing by absorbing light, there are many ways to combat algae, but I chose 3% hydrogen peroxide .
I remember as a child in the Soviet Union, this method was quite effective. Before using peroxide, you need to reduce the diet of aquarium fish to stop feeding, do not change the water, do not add fertilizer to aquarium plants.
Reduce the light day of the watch for two, then I did the following, removed all the plants from the aquarium where I could clean the black beard using the blade, then poured 500 grams of water from the aquarium into the plastic bowl and added 20 ml of hydrogen peroxide there and the whole thing stood 20 minutes, after this not complicated procedure, I changed the water, poured it clean and for another hour
. After that I didn’t see a single beard hair. At once I would like to draw your attention to the fact that aquarium plants with soft and tender leaves can suffer from such procedures, but plants with hard leaves and resistant stems tolerate peroxide with a bang. Over the next 5 days I continued to add to the aquarium at 20 ml
I did this in a 100 liter aquarium; I took a syringe and poured it under the roots of aquarium plants. It is very important to understand that the calculation goes 20 ml per 100 liters, 10 ml per 50 liters should not be overdone, with the right dosage the fish feel great.
But it is also not superfluous to say that before you fight with algae, you must find the cause of the appearance of a black beard and only then proceed to the treatment of the aquarium.
The reasons can be a huge variety of this strong lighting or weak, bust with fertilizers, as well as a general violation of the biological balance. Yes, and get in the aquarium a couple of saetheses, they are algae.