You launched an aquarium, planted plants, chose fish, but now a very pressing question arises: what and how do we feed these fish? – let’s understand.
Conventionally, all fish can be classified into three groups:
- Predators – their favorite food – are alive, but artificial fish substitutes can be taught easily. The stomach of such pets is large, and they often swallow the prey entirely;
- The herbivorous – their stomach is miniature, but the intestine is long, they feed mainly on algae and plants, but they will not be abandoned from small live food;
- Omnivores are the majority of aquarium fish, they can be given various types of food.
You need to choose feed depending on:
- tastes of fish, it would not hurt to know how they eat: whether they pick up food from the bottom or grab from the surface;
- what sizes the food will be able to swallow: the fish are unlikely to be happy with the delicacy, which is twice the diameter of their mouth;
- Your financial opportunities: it is better to buy good live food than a cheap artificial substitute;
- The age of the fish, as the fry and adults feed on different types of food.
The basic principle of feeding aquarium fish: less is more than more. It will be much more difficult to cope with obesity and diseases of internal organs as a result of overfeeding, and it is unlikely that anyone will want to siphon the soil every day due to a large accumulation of food debris.
It is necessary to feed adults 1-2 times a day at the same time (in the evening – 2-3 hours before bedtime). Fry are fed more often – 4-5 times a day, the daily portion should be approximately equal to the weight of the fry.
The amount of feed is determined by “trial and error”, let’s eat as much food as fish eat in 5-10 minutes, food remains will simply sink to the bottom (bottom fish are an exception, they are fed first, and then later they are poured over to other species).
It is necessary to arrange a discharge day every 7-10 days: since fish do not spend energy to maintain body temperature, they can easily starve a couple of days. Sick fish are fed less frequently because many individuals lose their appetite.
The individuals preparing for spawning are fed more frequently and more abundantly.
If we talk about nutrients, then 50% of the feed should be proteins, fats and carbohydrates should be less. Also, food should contain pigments, vitamins, minerals, trace elements.
Bottom fish also need sand, snags – coarse food improves digestion.
Live feed. Large predatory fish are often fed by smaller individuals – guppies, goldfish and so on, but pets can also be easily taught to meat and insects.
Aquarium fish are given crickets, fruit flies, small crustaceans (cyclops, daphnids, artemia, hamarus), bloodworms, tubule, enchitreya, earthworms. Frozen live food has become more popular: owners do not have to suffer and breed unattractive worms or flies.
Outwardly, this food looks like cubes or briquettes, which easily disintegrate under the stream of water, in such food vitamins and nutrients are better preserved. Tetra, San Francisco BloodWorms, Wardley and other companies specialize in the production of such feeds.
Artificial feed. Often, they include several products, artificial food are in the form of flakes, granules, tablets, pasta.
It is worth remembering that such food should be stored in a sealed container in a cool and dry place, it quickly deteriorates. If you do not have so many fish, you should not buy large packages – the food spoils quickly. Try to choose well-known manufacturers, the packaging must be sealed, with a clearly defined shelf life.
Often the food is made independently: it contains animal base (fish, meat, insects), oatmeal, vitamins, fish oil, frozen spinach, water, gelatin, and so on. The finished mixture after cooking stored in the refrigerator.
Vegetable feed. Often, the fish calmly “eat” algae (lemna, water fern, duckweed, valisneria, wolfia, naiad); in addition to the basic diet, they give chopped and scalded leaves of spinach, cabbage, lettuce, plantain, young nettle, dandelion, and tableted food is also sold .