maintenance, care, compatibility
The causes of muddy water in an aquarium can be varied, and it is not as easy to deal with them as it seems at first glance.
- Turbidity can occur due to swimming in the pond of small particles of algae, solid organics and cyanobacteria. There is another unobtrusive reason – poor washing of the aquarium soil and inaccurate pouring water from a clean tank. This type of turbidity does not threaten the water and the fish, you can do nothing with it. After some time, the muddy part of the water will settle, or seep into the filter, remaining there. The formation of turbidity can provoke fish who love to plow the ground, but these actions for the reservoir are completely harmless.
- Turbid water in an aquarium can be caused by cichlids, goldfish and tail finch fish – their active movement in a reservoir is the cause of the resulting turbidity. If a filter is not installed in the tank, it will be difficult to clean the water.
- Often, muddy water appears after the first start of the aquarium, after the fresh water inlet. Nothing to do, in a day or two the sediment will fall to the ground and disappear. The mistake of novice aquarists is a partial or complete renewal of water, which is considered a gross error. When adding new water to a newly launched aquarium, the bacteria will become even more! If the aquarium is small, you can install a sponge filter that quickly cleans the pond.
Watch the video about the device and the operation of the internal filter.
- Malicious bacteria in an aquarium can also be causes of turbidity. When the water becomes green, then it’s time to draw conclusions – this is an unnatural color. Muddy and green water is formed due to overcrowding of the aquarium with fish or plants. That is, the aquarium fluid passes through the filter, but is not cleaned. The abundance of metabolic products provokes the formation of putrefactive microorganisms, ciliates and other unicellular. If ciliates are beneficial, the bacteria can harm the plants – they will start to rot. In order not to be surprised why fish and plants often get sick – watch the aquarium clean and tidy.
- Why still breed single-celled? Because you do not have time to clean the tank after heavy feeding. For aquarism it is better to underfeed than to feed. This rule will protect the fish from problems. After overfeeding again the water got cloudy – what to do? Arrange a pet unloading diet for a couple of days, the bacteria will die out, the water biobalance will be restored.
- Incorrectly installed decoration. Snags, plastic materials of poor quality dissolve in water, forming a muddy shade. If the scenery is new wooden, but untreated – they can be boiled or infused in salt solution. Plastic snags should be replaced with new ones.
- In the old, stagnant nursery with fish, sediment is formed due to “whiteness after fish treatment”, this is when drugs and purification chemistry for aquarium glass were used in the pond. Such substances have a number of side effects, they disrupt the biological equilibrium, neutralizing the favorable microflora.
Now we know the reasons why the water grows cloudy in the aquarium, and what to do in each case. However, there are general rules, without which it is impossible to completely eliminate the problem.
- Siphonte the ground in the aquarium. Open the filter, rinse and clean. Then add activated carbon to it – this needs to be done to absorb harmful substances. It is forbidden to make a complete replacement of water and washing the aquarium soil, otherwise the beneficial bacteria will die out and will not be able to process rot and algae.
See how to siphon the soil in the aquarium.
- In some cases, it is necessary to do an intensive aeration of the aquarium – when there are a lot of fish feed residues and a fasting day is not enough. Oxygen will quickly remove excess organic matter.
- If an unpleasant smell disappears in an aquarium, it means that the struggle with mist is over successfully. Also for elimination of bacterial turbidity it is possible to use elodeya, having landed it superficially in a ground.
The color of turbidity will tell about the sources of its formation:
- The water color is greenish – single-celled algae reproduce;
- Brown water – peat, humic and tannins, poorly processed snags;
- Milky white color – unicellular bacteria begin to multiply;
- The color of the water coincides with the color of the soil or of a stone recently laid on it, which means that the soil was plowed by fish, or the stone turned out to be fragile.
Drugs that prevent the appearance of a cloudy precipitate
Wrong settlement of fish as a reason for the rapid turbidity of water
Why 2-3 days after the settlement of fish water became muddy? The fact is that for every one liter of water in the tank it is required to settle only one medium fish.
If you run more pets, there will be problems with the pollution of the “house”. Some fish plow the ground, and if there are many such individuals, it will turn into an underwater hurricane. Immediately move the fish in different aquariums, provide enough space for them.
It is also important that they have enough oxygen, shelters and plants. In poor water oxygen to the fish can get sick.
In the aquarium with proper care and the right equipment, the water on the second day will not deteriorate. After running the fish, make sure that it adapts to the new environment.
For 3 liters of water it is necessary to settle the fish size of 3-5 cm.
If the water is cloudy, you can use drugs that purify water from turbidity and dirt. After using them, water changes in the aquarium are not required for a few more days. They connect all the small particles that spoil the water until they fall into the filter.
The next day, the entire bacterial cloud, small algae settle on the filter sponge, after which they can be removed.
These are the drugs: JBL Clearol, JBL Clynol, Seachem Clarity, Sera Aquaria Clear.
Watch a video about water changes.
Full replacement of water is required only in the rarest cases, for example, with general quarantine or water poisoning. Why not do this procedure often?
Because the day after the complete substitution, you will notice how the water turned cloudy again. A significant loss of its volume is stress for all inhabitants of the reservoir.
Even during the death of some fish do not replace the water. But there are a number of recommendations, after studying which it is possible to understand why substitutions are necessary.
- Substitutions are necessary after the introduction of pathogenic microorganisms;
- Replacements are required after visible flowering of the reservoir;
- Urgent water changes are necessary when a fungal mucus is detected;
- Refresh water is required due to severe soil contamination.
You can add water to the tank as it evaporates, but not more than 20-30% of the total volume. It is best to update 1/5 of the aquarium once a week.
After the procedure, the biocenosis will recover in 2 days. With the replacement of water cleaned the glass from plaque, remove debris from the bottom, clean snags and decorations.
It is better to plan a water change for both small and large reservoirs in advance. Type in a glass tank water from the tap, and leave it for a few days, covered with gauze. Chlorine and gas will evaporate, the liquid will be safe for fish.
And it should be remembered that in the first week of operation of the aquarium the water is not changed until an ecosystem is formed in it.
Why does the water in the aquarium grow muddy?: Start the aquarium; muddy water :: Aquarium fish.
Muddy water in an aquarium is a common problem that even experienced aquarists sometimes face. It can be fatal for your fish.
To avoid this, you need to understand the causes of this trouble and eliminate them.
The question “opened a pet store. Business is not going. What to do? “- 2 answers
An aquarium is a microworld where organisms appear and die. It consists of a fine interconnection of fish, plants and bacteria.
When you create a new aquarium in a few days there is a huge number of bacteria, excessively breeding in water. This leads to its turbidity.
This process is quite normal and natural. Before you run the fish in the aquarium with new water, you just need to wait a few days until it clears itself.
Due to lack of food, most bacteria will become extinct, and the biological balance of water will normalize. To change the water in this case is strictly prohibited, because it also becomes cloudy. It is best to add some water from the old aquarium, where the balance has long been established.
If this is not available, nothing terrible, the balance in the water itself is settled, it just takes more time for this.
Another cause of muddy water can be overfeeding fish. Excess feed, which your pets do not have time to eat, sink to the bottom and begin to rot.
As a result, the water begins to deteriorate. In such an environment, the inhabitants of the aquarium can not feel good, and their long stay in bad water will destroy.
When a large number of fish in the aquarium and, at the same time, poor filtration of water, there is its turbidity. The inhabitants of such an environment will certainly begin to poison the body with decay products, which will lead to their death.
The cause of muddy water can be algae. There is a certain species that, if overproduced, leads to a turbid environment in the aquarium and at the same time emits an unpleasant odor. Another problem may be excessive light or accumulation of excess organic matter at the bottom, which stimulates the rapid growth of microscopic algae, and as a result water will bloom.
It becomes opaque with a greenish tinge. With a lack of light, the plants in the aquarium will turn brown and begin to rot, which will ruin the habitat of the fish and harm their health.
To deal with muddy water is not difficult, the main thing is to understand the causes of turbidity and follow certain rules in the future.
First you need to determine the cause of the turbidity of the water. If it consists in overpopulation of the aquarium, then it is necessary to strengthen the filtering or move some fish to another place.
If the reason is the accumulation of excess feed on the bottom, then you need to reduce the dose of food or purchase bottom fish that will eat up the settled food. If there is a problem with lighting, you need to darken the aquarium or enhance the light.
To prevent the rapid growth of algae, it is recommended to start fish or snails that eat plants. In order to maintain biological balance in an aquarium, it is imperative to have a good filter that matches the size of the water tank. You need to understand that in the aquarium the water is alive, and to maintain balance you need to maintain certain conditions.
It does not recommend the use of chemicals, they can lead to even greater environmental disturbance and will require a longer recovery.
In maintaining balance in water, its change plays an important role. After launching a new aquarium, it is not necessary to change the water for 2-3 months until the balance is improved.
In the future, the water should be replaced 1-2 times a month. At the same time merging only 1/5 of the total volume of the aquarium and adding as many new ones.
If you change more than half, then the habitat is disturbed, which will lead to the death of the fish. In small aquariums, water can be replaced less frequently, provided there is a good filter.
A properly equipped and properly maintained aquarium in which biological balance is maintained may not require changing water for a long time. The problem of water turbidity often occurs in novice aquarists, who believe that caring for fish is only in abundant and timely feeding.
1. The water becomes turbid due to small particles of soil that have been washed out of it, which are washed out during the careless filling of the aquarium with water. After they settle to the bottom, the water will again become clear. Do not replace water completely when it is not required.
Using a rubber or glass tube, periodically remove dirt accumulating on the bottom and add the required amount of fresh water, ensuring that its temperature coincides with the water in the aquarium.
2. Water may also become turbid in a new, newly equipped aquarium, due to the reproduction of single-celled organisms. This phenomenon is called “infusorial turbidity”. Do not rush to settle an aquarium prepared and filled with water, wait a few days.
Another harmless cause of turbidity – loosening of the soil by fish digging in it – is easily eliminated by placing a layer of thoroughly washed sand on the bottom.
3. The turbidity of the water can be caused by the appearance of a large number of putrefactive bacteria that are very harmful to fish and plants due to too high a concentration of fish in the aquarium or improper feeding. Follow one of the basic rules of aquarism: “It is better to underfeed than overfeed.”
4. If you forget to clean up the remnants of food and rotting plants in time, this can also provoke a rapid reproduction of bacteria. In addition, turbidity can be caused by poor filtration and blowing of water, as a result of which accumulation of metabolic products occurs in the aquarium, which serve as an ideal medium for mass reproduction and feeding of bacteria.
To avoid such consequences, squander excess fish and improve the filtration system.
Refuse dry feeds or give them a little and watch them to be eaten as soon as possible. Place in the aquarium snails, which are willing to clean up edible remains.
Water in an aquarium quickly becomes turbid: what reasons can?
Turbid water in an aquarium is not uncommon when starting a home pond. This is due to the fact that a bacterial outbreak occurs, which is caused by the active reproduction of single-celled organisms in water.
That is why the settlement of fish is better to postpone for a while. You need to wait some time to establish a balance in the water, and it will become transparent.
If you change the water, then again there will be a blurred water in the aquarium.
If the water in the new aquarium dims, it should take at least 5-7 days. Only after that you can safely run the fish. During this time, biological balance will be restored.
To speed up this process, you can add some water from the old aquarium.
Often, the aquarium becomes turbid due to overfeeding the fish. Water spoils quite quickly if food is not completely eaten by the inhabitants of the mini-reservoir. It settles at the bottom of the tank and can spoil the life-giving moisture.
This is another common cause of this problem.
Water turbidity in the aquarium can be expected as a result of poor filtration of water. The cleaning system must be well thought out.
This is especially important when there are many inhabitants in an aquarium. If the problem is not resolved in time, it can cause the fish to become poisoned with decay products. “Residents of the reservoir” of this relationship may not survive.
The problem of green and muddy water in an aquarium can be hidden in a microscopic alga, or more precisely in its rapid growth. If organic matter accumulates at the bottom or too much light is directed to the reservoir, then microscopic algae can actively grow. But when the lighting is not enough, the algae will turn brown and begin to rot.
If the water in the aquarium quickly becomes cloudy and smells unpleasant, the root of the problem may lie in the growth of blue-green algae.