Observation of the life of aquarium inhabitants fascinates and calms. Therefore, many, eager to have such beauty at home, are interested in how to properly clean the aquarium with fish at home.
Cleaning the aquarium is vital for all living organisms inside the pond. Contaminants appear on all surfaces: the ground, the bottom, the wall, the plants and the decor, and the filter is also contaminated. Plaque and debris appear as a result of the vital activity of the inhabitants, who secrete feces, remnants of uneaten food and active growth of algae.
Regardless of the size, a large and small aquarium equally need to be washed, if the procedure is regular, then it will not be difficult to wash the vessel, as it does not have time to form strong contaminants.
Planned cleaning of the aquarium with the replacement of part of the water is usually carried out once or twice a week, depending on its size, population density, the presence of vegetation.
In each case, the question of the frequency of cleaning and water changes should be decided on the basis of
- the health of the fish,
- aquarium test scores
- and, of course, the appearance of the aquarium.
Raid on the walls
If the walls are tightened with a brown-green coating, a cloud of dirt rises from the bottom at the slightest movement of the fish, then it is time to clean up, even if everything is fine with the fish. And, conversely, in a crystal-clear aquarium, concentrations of nitrogen compounds can go off-scale and, accordingly, fish suffer.
And this is also a reason for urgent cleaning.
Before you start work, you need to prepare the tool and material. It will take:
- Large capacity.
- Siphon, complete with hose.
Prepare clean water. Remove stale water from the aquarium, up to 30% of the total volume.
When the content of marine fish, water should be composed of sea salt. Fresh water should be free of impurities and chlorine.
Infusion of water passes within two days. Two hours before the start of cleaning and two hours later, do not feed the fish.
Used containers must be new. Hands should be washed before the procedure.
Before you start, you must turn off electrical appliances and filter.
It will take a deep tank, a pitcher, a net, a hose with a clip. Procedure.
- The aquarium water is drawn into the barge. You can use a tank or another aquarium.
- All plants are removed. If the water is drained due to algae disease, they will have to be thrown out and used new ones.
- Next to the aquarium put a deep tank, a level below.
- The hose must be flexible, and the length is several times greater than the height of the aquarium.
- The hose is filled with water, and the edges are clamped.
- One end is placed on the very bottom, near the ground. This will remove not only water, but all contaminants. The second end of the hose is lowered into the container.
- After the clamps are removed.
- If the capacity is less than the volume of the aquarium, then periodically have to pour out the water.
TIP! When the water is not completely removed, large fish can be left, and small ones can be removed.
When water is completely replaced, fish are caught with a net and deposited in a deep container or in another aquarium. Used water from the aquarium.
When the water is replaced completely, you can plant the aquarium plants. It is not recommended to run the fish for about a week. During this period, a microclimate will be formed.
After a couple of days the water will grow cloudy. This indicates the activity of bacteria, and after a few days will begin to lighten.
It is time to return the fish.
Aquarium – home and office decoration. Keeping it clean is easy.
The main thing is to know some nuances.
Even in the most prosperous aquarium, an algal bloom forms on the walls, which makes the glass dull and untidy. Therefore, algae must be regularly removed. This can be done with:
- scraper with a metal blade (it can be replaced with a stationery knife blade);
- magnetic scraper;
- economic washcloths.
Washing the walls of the aquarium
First option – long handle scraper or, to a lesser extent, the stationery knife is convenient and well removes algae and other contaminants, but is not suitable for Plexiglas aquariums, since it can leave scratches on their walls.
Magnetic scraper indispensable for deep tanks, as well as aquariums, which are restricted from above, or plexiglas tanks. It does not scratch the walls (with the exception of those cases when a grain of sand or a small fragment of soil falls between its parts) and makes it possible not to put your hands in the water.
Minus – it is difficult for them to clean the corners of the aquarium and the lower edge of the glass near the ground.
The economic washcloth option is the most economical, but it is not suitable for plexiglass and is the least convenient, since you have to get it everywhere with your hand.
Waste from the life of fish and the remnants of food are deposited in the ground, even with a good filter. The process of decay begins. The balance is broken.
Algae are beginning to grow actively. A special device, a siphon, helps prevent rotting and stagnation of the soil. Siphons differ:
However, the goal of any siphon is to clean the soil from a large amount of pollution. The work of the product is based on the principle of water flow.
In this way, the soil is cleared of the lighter parts of the waste, while the heavy parts are returned to the site. As a result, the flow of water takes away all the dirt. Soil and water are cleaned.
Algae growth is slowing. To clean the soil siphon you need to use a lot of water.
Therefore, it is reasonable to combine cleaning with partial replacement. Thus, you can kill two birds with one stone.
Clean the soil and add clean water.
For herbalists carry out surface cleaning of the soil, since the siphon can not always reach hard-to-reach areas. This is a big disadvantage, since harmful substances are formed in herbalists due to the rotting of the plants themselves. In addition, the soil in such aquariums, as a rule, is covered with silt.
This serves as a good stimulus for plant growth.
- Dip the siphon into the aquarium water and drain the required amount into any container. It may be a bucket, pan or basin. If you do not need to defend the water, immediately drain into the sink.
- Pumping out water from the aquarium, watch out for fish, soil and plants. Together with the dirt they can get into the siphon and suffer.
- Take care of the scenery, gravel or sand at the bottom of the aquarium. Thoroughly rinse the material that is located on the bottom. It is necessary to remove all food, small parts from plants and other waste that was formed from the vital activity of fish, snails.
- Use a gravel vacuum. Place it at the bottom of the aquarium. While siphoning clean water and soil from any extraneous contamination.
- Wash the plants, the decorations of the tree. Cleaning the aquarium and its accessories can be done with an algae scraper. However, if the pollution is strong, for example, green patina or black beard, it is better to use a sink for bathing. However, any cleaners, including soap, use is prohibited. In extreme cases, to clean the components of the aquarium, use a mixture of water and salt.
- Allow them to dry thoroughly before putting the decorations into the aquarium.
Artificial plants, decorative elements are washed inside the aquarium, outside. In the first version, clean the brush with raids. If this does not help, pull out the decorations, process them in the following ways:
- type boiling water and lower the decorative elements, hold for 10-15 minutes. High temperatures will help get rid of algae;
- bleach. Combine some water, bleach, in a ratio of 9: 1. Lower the scenery, hold for 10 minutes. Wash thoroughly under running water. Not all elements are cleaned in this way, for example, artificial snags, corals;
- iodized salt + lemon. Cook gruel of two components. Apply the mixture with a toothbrush. The method is suitable for silk decorations.
After processing, put everything in its place.
Cleaning the filter is third on the list, because for this we need water from the aquarium so that we can wash the filter parts and rinse the sponges in it. It is better if it is the water that you drain off last, so that it contains as little turbidity and sediment as possible.
After washing the filter in this water, you collect it and put it back.
If there is live vegetation in an artificial reservoir, then it also requires maintenance and purification. Plants can be cleaned at home, following certain rules:
- Plants do not like transplants.
- Vegetation is not treated with every harvesting manipulation.
- Spoiled and damaged leaves are cut.
- Sprouted plants must be removed so that they do not become an obstacle to the free movement of fish.
- Pruning should be as the bushes grow.
- The overgrown bushes should be thinned out so that they do not interfere with the penetration into the capacity of light.
- If it is necessary to remove a plant with a root, the manipulation is carried out as carefully as possible in order to avoid raising the turbidity from the substrate.
After cleaning the aquarium inside, you can begin to change the water in it. The volume of water replaced depends on the degree of contamination. As a rule, about 25% of the total amount of water is replaced.
The required amount of water for replacement should be drained to clean the soil. Water is drained using a siphon, following the instructions of the device. It is forbidden to use normal running water for replacement, it must be defended in advance.
It is recommended to pour new water on a pre-set, on a substrate a grotto or saucer, so that the water pressure does not immediately fall on the ground and does not damage it.
It’s always unpleasant to face such problems as green deposits or lime deposits in an aquarium. Therefore, it is better to avoid unpleasant phenomena and from time to time to engage in prevention.
It is important to maintain the proper operation of aquarium equipment and is serious about caring for the aquarium and its inhabitants as a whole.
To avoid contamination and full restart of the tank, you must:
- right to put the aquarium from the beginning. Direct sunlight should not fall on the aquarium. Therefore, do not put it directly to the window. Step back at least one and a half meters. And better illuminate the aquarium artificially with the help of special lamps;
- think in advance about facilitating the cleaning process. Cleaning the bottom of various contaminants. To do this, when starting the aquarium, pour the soil to the front wall;
- feed the fish correctly. The excess amount can change the balance of water is not for the better, and therefore harm the pet. So, fish should eat food in five minutes;
- regularly keep your aquarium clean. In time remove the rotten leaves of algae.
Eliminate all the reasons for which in the aquarium, water can bloom. Solving the problem will make your pets life more comfortable.
You will take pleasure in looking at the aesthetic look, clean as a tear, clear water.
Aquaria is a complex science that requires a large amount of knowledge in order for pets to be kept in a favorable environment and a proper aquarium. All manipulations carried out with capacity, including cleaning, require compliance with the rules.