maintenance, care, compatibility
During cleaning it is necessary to turn off electrical equipment. Only an external canister filter can be left on if its water intake hose is low enough and remains below the water level. As for the internal filter, if the cleaning is ordinary and does not take long, it can be left in the aquarium in the off state.
If the cleaning is large, general, cleaning all the decorations, weeding and transplanting plants, draining a significant part of the water, the internal filter is placed in the drained aquarium water and turned on so that the bacteria colony does not die.
At the time of cleaning the fish are usually not evicted from the aquarium.
First proceed to clean the glass. To do this, you can use different devices, each of which has its advantages and disadvantages:
- Long-handled scraper with permanent or replaceable metal razor blades. A very effective thing, but not suitable for cleaning Plexiglas aquariums, as it can scratch them. When choosing such a scraper, you need to pay attention to the strength of the handle (if it is too flexible, you will not succeed with the necessary force and at the right angle to press on the glass). In addition, the metal blade should not be longer than the plastic cover and stick out of it on the sides, as in this case, when cleaning around the corners, you can damage the silicone joints of the aquarium.
- Magnetic scraper is extremely handy when cleaning large and deep containers. Suitable for cleaning plexiglass. When choosing, it is necessary to take into account what thickness of glass the scraper is designed for, otherwise the power of the magnet may be insufficient and the scraper simply will not attract. Using this device, you must be very careful when cleaning the glass near the bottom, so that there is no pebble or grain of sand between the scraper and the glass. They will leave deep and visible scratches on the glass. Usual household sponge washcloth. Many aquarists use just such, but they are made from materials of different stiffness, and some are completely capable of leaving scratches on aquarium glass, which individually are almost invisible, but over time make the glass all the more cloudy.
- The usual bank plastic card has perfectly proved as a scraper. It does not spoil the glass, and its only drawback is the lack of a handle and, accordingly, some inconvenience of use.
Green algae, torn off from the surface by a scraper, if there are not too many of them, can be left out of the aquarium, and left in the water, the fish usually eat them instantly and with great pleasure.
Some aquarists recommend that the rear window of an aquarium should not be cleaned of algae, as it is usually almost completely hidden by decorations and plants, and the algal plaque usually does not spoil the appearance of the pond, and nitrates and nitrites from the water slowly consume. And if you lead several algae fish, then the raid will not remain either on the rear window or on the viewing window.
Now, when our glass is clean, it is the turn of the ground.
The frequency and intensity of water changes depend on the biological load, that is, on the quantity, size and voracity of the aquarium inhabitants, as well as on their requirements for water quality: it is clear that the concepts of cleanliness differ from the discus and, for example, spore frogs.
With the average population of the reservoir and the fastidiousness of its inhabitants, substitution is usually carried out on a third, quarter or fifth of the volume every week. Ideally, to establish a substitution schedule, it is necessary to test the water in the aquarium and determine the nitrate content in it.
It should be at the level of no more than 10-30 mg / l. Accordingly, if the concentration of nitrates in water is higher, then water must be changed more often.
To carry out a substitution, it is necessary to prepare water with the same or very close parameters (temperature, acidity) as in the aquarium. Most aquatic animals prefer water that settled for at least 24 hours.
If you can not defend the water, you can use air conditioners, for example, Tetra Aqua Safe or Dennerle Avera.
Part of the water from the aquarium is drained using a siphon or hose, the end of which must be placed near the bottom. In order to easily navigate how much water you need to drain, it is convenient to make a mark on the glass.
Fresh water is poured with a hose, bucket or other container, while the jet is directed not to the ground, which is thus easily eroded, but, for example, to the grotto or placed on the bottom of the saucer.
The aquarium filter has several functions. The most important: it must trap particles of dirt and turbidity (dead organic matter, food residues, mineral turbidity from the substrate) and be home to biofilter bacteria. The accumulated dirt in the cleaning process should be removed, while the colony of bacteria should be left as safe as possible.
These conditions determine the rules for cleaning the filter.
First question: when is it time to clean the filter? It is easy to determine by the power of its jet. Having bought a new filter or having its next general cleaning, notice or remove on video what kind of power the jet has, you can see it, for example, by the vibrations of nearby plants.
If the jet is weakened, it’s time to wash the filter.
Usually, internal sponge filters are washed once a week, as are often sponges of internal filters, where there are compartments with porous fillers (these compartments themselves often do not need to bother!). External canister filters are cleaned less often, once in 6-10 weeks, in some models the prefilter sponges, parts of which perform preliminary mechanical filtration, are washed weekly.
In any case, the filtering materials are carefully washed and rinsed in water drained from the aquarium in order to minimally damage the colony of nitrifying bacteria. The same rotor head is washed and cleaned with the same water with a cotton swab or toothbrush – the engine compartment of the filter.
After cleaning, the filter is placed in the aquarium as soon as possible and turned on.
To choose the right aquarium for fish, consider the following recommendations:
- In a spacious tank, fish care will be easier. The products of their vital activity in a close aquarium quickly decompose, poisoning the water. In a spacious tank more water that will be mixed. Cleaning can be done less frequently.
- The size of the tank depends on the type of fish and their size. Before buying an aquarium, you should know which pets will be settled there. Large and gregarious fish require a large amount of swimming space. At 5-centimeter fish need 10 liters of water.
- Attention should be paid to aquascape. This shelter in the form of caves, moles, clay pots, pipes, rocks, snags and plants. Fish with bulging eyes do not need a lot of scenery due to the threat of injury.
See how to lay the soil in the aquarium.
Buying an aquarium is the very first step towards creating a living corner.
- The shape and size of the device is very important. A good aquarium does not interfere at home and guarantees comfort. In addition, he must ensure the normal existence of the fish.
- When buying it is necessary to take into account that in large tanks the water stays clean longer. Care for a large aquarium is required less frequently.
- Aquarium should be selected according to the size and number of fish. If you want to contemplate large fish, then you need to make a big house for them.
- Landscaping aquarium also requires a thoughtful approach. It is possible to decorate a house reservoir with soil, algae, stones and various figures.
- The shape of the aquarium should provide convenient cleaning.
Caring for fish in an aquarium includes the following regular activities:
- keeping the aquarium clean;
- timely partial renewal of water (in a small aquarium – once a week, in a large one – once a month);
- the inner surface of the aquarium should be cleaned with a special scraper;
- the ground must be in good condition.
These are the basic principles of fish care in an aquarium. Water quality is important.
In the course of their life, the fish emit harmful substances. Some of them recycle plants.
But a surplus of bad components still accumulates. Therefore, the rules of care for the aquarium must be observed.
Fresh water for fish requires prior preparation:
- it must have the same hardness and temperature as the water in the aquarium;
- it must first be defended and filtered to remove chlorine from the water supply. Instead of settling, you can use special conditioners (for example, AQUAYER AntiToxin Vita);
- regular maintenance of water in the aquarium ensures the creation of a favorable environment for fish;
- water must be saturated with oxygen.
Ankistrus care is provided for the aquarium. These are bottom fishes – “attendants”. It is equally important to place plants that purify water.
They should be positioned so that they do not impede the free movement of fish. The same applies to snags, mini-rocks and decorations.
From plants it is better to choose simple and unpretentious plants. It can be perististostniki and krugolistniki, which perfectly purify water from turbidity. It is not recommended to plant rare plants in your first aquarium.
The rules for caring for an aquarium include taking care of plants. Each of them needs special conditions.
Failure to comply with certain requirements, they die.
Caring for a home aquarium should include cleaning artificial figurines. They form plaque that must be cleaned.
This is done when replacing water.
The main requirement is to form the microclimate necessary for the fish. Experts recommend launching fish to a new “home” only in a week.
However, the process can be accelerated using special capsules with microflora (biokorin, biostarter).
If you have a working aquarium, soak a sponge in the water and squeeze it into a new aquarium. You can just pour a few liters of water. In this embodiment, the water must be defended in just 2 days.
Caring for a new aquarium involves, above all, the preparation of water and the formation of the internal climate.
How to run animals in the aquarium? It is enough to pour water with the fish into a new container. The rules for caring for the aquarium do not allow a sharp temperature drop.
You should warm the water with the fish to room temperature, and then run them into the home aquarium.
Fish do not need excessive care. Caring for them is very simple.
That is why many parents prefer to buy their children fish. It is enough to remember about feeding fish.
Remains of food floating on the surface of the water should be collected with a net. This is done 20 minutes after feeding.
Fishes should be fed in the morning and evening. They are prone to overeating. This leads to their death.
Therefore, do not feed them too much.
Peculiarities of fish species are important
If you are going to purchase aquarium fish, before you buy, be sure to learn the features of those or other species. Many here depend on the type of fish. Therefore, you need to know the features of the fish you intend to buy.
Most fish need warm water. The temperature in the aquarium should be for some fish ranging from 19 to 22 degrees for others from 22 to 28 degrees. When caring for an aquarium, do not forget about the optimal conditions of the fish.
Most of them do not tolerate sudden changes in temperature. However, there are exceptions.
Do not place fish with different temperature requirements in the same container. For example, gold fishes need to maintain 21 degrees.
Proper care of the aquarium should take into account the peculiarities of behavior in the flock. Some fish require a high aquarium, such as an angelfish. In addition, these fish lodge in pairs.
Choosing a fish, you should consider all these nuances. If you have aquarium fish at home, caring for them will not be a big hassle.
Proper care of a home aquarium for beginners may seem difficult and troublesome. But, according to experienced aquarists, to care for the aquarium is not more difficult than for other pets.
The main thing from the very beginning to properly equip, run and populate the aquarium. And, of course, not having enough experience, you should study in advance which species of fish can live in the same space, and which plants are best suited for selected species of fish. And only after that you should choose the configuration and size of the aquarium, as well as proceed to its equipment and design.
Since it is much more difficult to care for a small round aquarium, and this requires some experience, aquarists recommend starting with large rectangular aquariums. Breaking the biological balance in a large aquarium is much more difficult, and even if this happens, it will be easier to correct the situation. At the same time, for the inhabitants of small aquariums, even minor errors that are common among beginners can be disastrous.
But despite the differences in the requirements for the content of different aquariums, fish species and plants, there are also general rules for caring for an aquarium that every aquarist should know.
To preserve the biological balance in the aquarium, experts recommend the following scheme of care for the aquarium.
- feeding and inspection of fish. Feeding should be moderate, it is necessary to ensure that the fish ate all the food for the time set for each type of fish. Feed particles should not fall to the ground, as this may lead to the growth of bacteria. During feeding, you should count the fish, watch their behavior, make sure there are no signs of disease.
- check the tightness of the aquarium and the health of the instruments. The difference in water temperature at the ground and on the surface should not exceed three degrees, otherwise the heater should be checked. If the water becomes cloudy, check the operation of the filters, if necessary, increase the capacity or replace it.
- inspect the algae and plants, if necessary, remove damaged leaves and excess.
- clean cover glass, aquarium walls and plant leaves. If necessary, the plants should be thinned, fertilized under the roots, the excess algae should be removed, the soil should be siphoned.
- measure water readings, PH, KH, DH. Make a water change from 20 to 30%. To do this, use only dechlorinated water.
- clean the filter.
In fact, caring for a small aquarium consists of the same manipulations as caring for a large one, but it requires greater accuracy in adjusting the performance of the equipment, calculating the amount of water for changing. Also, with a small amount of water should be with particular attention to the choice of inhabitants of the aquarium and carefully monitor the plants. You can not overdo it, too frequent cleaning can in the shortest possible time lead to an imbalance, while insufficient attention to the hygiene of the aquarium can lead to the accumulation of toxic substances and the death of fish.
A small aquarium should be provided with good filtration and aeration.
- Buy a wide aquarium. Make sure that there is enough space for the pet in the tank. For a voile-tailed goldfish, approximately 45-90 liter aquarium is needed. The goldfish grows fairly quickly, and if you plan to provide it with proper care, buy a tank in which already mature individuals will fit, which will save you later from replacing the reservoir with a more spacious one.
Look at the well-designed goldfish aquarium.
Watch a video about goldfish content.