maintenance, care, compatibility
Having a home aquarium is very useful. According to psychologists, watching the fish, a person calms down, relaxes.
Yes, and the kind of colorful, beautiful fish, quickly moving around the aquarium, always happy!
Today, the pet market is quite diverse. Therefore, beginner fish breeders most often acquire a ready-made aquarium. But aquarists with experience, as a rule, prefer to do them on their own.
After all, this is the way to achieve the desired size and volume.
In order to self-glue the aquarium, it is necessary, first of all, to prepare the necessary materials.
It is better to order glasses in the workshop, because the machine performs cutting there (cutting accuracy in this case is higher). When ordering, be sure to clarify that it is necessary glass for the aquarium.
It should be silicate, only the highest grade and 8-10 mm thick, since the thinner may not be strong enough and can not withstand the pressure of water.
All glasses are divided into 2 groups – window and polished. The former have a more affordable price, but for the manufacture of aquariums can not be used. The characteristic waviness and greenish tint will have a negative impact on the appearance of the finished product.
In polished glass there are no such disadvantages, it provides a perfectly flat surface.
The work is carried out in several stages:
- To protect the glass from contamination, glue it over with masking tape. From each edge leave a distance equal to the thickness of the glass.
- All surfaces are degreased – rubbed with an acetone containing agent or alcohol.
- The glue joint should be made as smooth as possible. To do this, put on the end of a little silicone. After hardening, cut it off with a blade, leaving a small ledge above the glass. It will help to make a uniform seam.
- Gluing is carried out on a solid and flat surface, covered with polyethylene. First, the glass is glued, which will be located in front, then – the side and all the other parts. Excess glue for the aquarium from the glass should be removed with a cloth previously moistened with a solution of water and vinegar.
- After about an hour, the seams need to be smeared with silicone and leave the product to dry. Aquarium is ready to use.
How to install and use aquarium filters
The aquarium filter performs a cleaning function, removing chemical and mechanical impurities from the water. In order for it to function correctly, it must be correctly placed in the tank.
The life of all the inhabitants of the aquarium depends on his work.
Internal filters are installed inside the aquarium. The most popular – internal pump filters and airlift.
They are inexpensive, they are easy to install yourself, they are convenient to use during operation. However, these mechanisms have their drawbacks – they must be cleaned of dirt almost every day, they are overall and noisy.
Before purchasing such a water purifier, determine whether it fits in your tank.
Will it be possible to install the internal filter correctly the first time? Completely if you carefully read the instructions.
The device must be placed in the tank when it is half filled with water, when there are plants planted in the soil. Before turning on the filter in the network, it should be assembled in parts, and mounted on the wall or above the aquarium.
Water purification devices such as internal filters should be completely immersed in the aquatic environment. Above the filter should be another 3 cm of water. The device itself should not touch the bottom.
If you bought an internal filter, or made it yourself, then attach it correctly using suction cups to the glass wall.
See how to disassemble, assemble and install the internal filter.
Included with the branded filter is a hose for air supply. In the homemade device, it should also be present, however, the principle of attachment is the same. Take one end of the tube and attach it to the special opening of the filter, the other end of it out above the water and fix it with the help of the fastened material to the upper edge of the tank wall.
The tube must be above the water level, otherwise the air will not be properly sucked.
On the tube or directly on the filter should be an air supply regulator. Its location affects the flow of water in the aquarium.
After installing the water purification device, the regulator should be correctly placed in the middle position. Then watch the behavior of the fish – some will love the flow of water, others will avoid it.
Adjust the water flow level so that the fish feel comfortable.
Internal cleaners should be installed after they are completely immersed in water. Before you get it out of the water for cleaning, the device must be disconnected from the power supply.
Also, do not leave the mechanism turned off in the water, and turn it on after a long period of stagnation (if you did not have time to clean it).
Filter for aquarium do it yourself. How to build a filter for the aquarium: schemes, tips
Before you get the fish, you need to take care of the presence of not only the suitable aquarium, soil, vegetation, some kind of decorative elements, but also a filter. You should understand that this is not only a water purifier, but also an item that is essential for the vital activity of your home aquatic inhabitants.
And if you do not have the opportunity to purchase one or another model in the store, you can consider how to make a filter for the aquarium with your own hands.
According to the principle of operation, modern aquarium filters of the following types are distinguished:
- Mechanical able to clean the water in the aquarium from the turbidity and floating particles that were raised from the bottom by the movement of fish and compressor. Without installing such a device is not enough. After all, the dirt in the aquarium gradually accumulates and, as a result, decomposes, making the water turbid. Such a filter should be washed as it is contaminated. The first sign of clogging will be a reduced flow of water through this device.
- Chemical filters to a greater degree purify aquarium water from organic matter. They remove phosphates and nitrates. For excellent results, these filters must be periodically changed.
- Absorption-chemical filters contribute to the purification of water from the waste of fish and other “animals” of the aquarium. As a rule, such a device includes a constantly circulating pump, a special sponge and a substrate (usually gravel) located directly next to it. It can be installed both inside and outside the aquarium. It should be noted that the main component of each biological filter are nitrifying bacteria, whose vital activity must be maintained without fail. This means that such an external filter for the aquarium should be washed only under running water. And in no case can it be dried.
A good filtering device will never be cheap. What to do? How to save?
In this case, we advise you to make the simplest filter for the aquarium with your own hands. To make it you will need: a sponge (you choose its size depending on the capacity of the aquarium), a nebulizer, a suction cup, a rubber tube, two 20 ml syringes, a small compressor.
Take one syringe. In one part of it, in which the medicine should be taken, make holes with a heated awl.
You need to connect the second syringe with the first one. This can be done with spikes.
To do this, hold the widest ends on the hot plate for a bit, quickly connect them and hold for 5-7 seconds. Cut from both ends the part into which the needle should be inserted.
You should have a long plastic pipe.
Take a sponge, make in one of its sides not a wide, but deep incision, insert into it a part of a syringe with holes. Get into the resulting “tube” rubber tube, connect it to the compressor.
Attach a suction cup to one side of the syringe. It will be attached to your filter to the wall of the aquarium.
Is it possible to make a run for the filter aquarium?
How to install a filter in an aquarium?
So, you bought or made a filter for the aquarium with your own hands. Now what? How to install it?
What rules should be followed?
First of all, everyone should understand that in no case should a filter be installed in an empty aquarium. The container should be at least half filled with water. It is also worth noting that before you assemble the filter for the aquarium, all the details of this device must be carefully dried.
And only after that, proceed to install it. The filter is usually attached to the wall with suction cups at a distance of 3 cm from the surface and in such a way that it does not touch the bottom.
First, it must be submerged in the water off.
The tube that takes in air must be brought out. It is very convenient if a fastening is provided for this tube.
In a fixed state, it will not move and fall into the water.
If you understand how to install the filter in the aquarium, and did it correctly, then only now it can be plugged into an outlet. If the filter began to circulate and saturate the water with oxygen, then you should have no doubt that you did something wrong.