maintenance, care, compatibility
How to clean an aquarium :: a large or small aquarium is easier to clean :: Household :: Other
It is almost impossible to create an ideal environment in a homemade artificial pond in which the aquarium would not have to be washed and cleaned at all. Of course, the snails and some other inhabitants partially cope with the pollution that has appeared, but a moment comes when the owner’s help cannot be dispensed with.
And here it is important to determine the optimal frequency of cleaning water house.
1. Clean the aquarium depends on its volume, because if your pond is less than 60 liters, then it will have to be cleaned quite often. At the initial stage, the cause of heavy pollution may be the absence of normal microflora in the aquarium, this indicates its incorrect start. In this case, you can use special preparations that allow you to quickly populate the bacteria in the home water.
If your aquarium is small, then you need to clean it as needed, it all depends on the specific conditions and well-being of aquatic inhabitants. Very small aquariums of 10-15 liters are usually cleaned once a week.
2. Cleaning the aquarium involves bleaching the scenery, washing artificial plants and, of course, removing plaque from the walls. Regarding water, regardless of the time of general cleaning, it is partially necessary to replace it approximately once every one or two weeks.
If you think that the aquarium has to be cleaned too often, then try to reduce the amount of food. It is possible that the aquarium filter does not cope with the number of inhabitants and the volume of water, in this case it is worth replacing it or installing an additional one.
3. Consider that the more inhabitants fall on the volume of your aquarium, the more often it has to be cleaned, therefore it is not recommended to densely populate the home water body. In addition, you risk losing your pets.
Not all types of aquarium fish are able to adapt to frequent water changes and cleaning the aquarium. Remember that with the right microflora, a month usually replaces no more than one third of the total water volume.
4. In general, if the volume of the aquarium is more than 100 liters, then it has to be cleaned quite rarely. If a large aquarium is equipped with all the necessary equipment, then it needs general cleaning no more than once a month. Usually this procedure is limited to removing plaque from the walls using a special magnetic sponge.
Sometimes during a partial water change, aquarists remove dirt from the bottom using a small hose with a pear at the end, but often the filters and the aquatic inhabitants themselves cope with this problem.
5. If you often have to clean a large-volume aquarium, this indicates an error in its content. Today there are special services and consultants on issues related to aquariums. Turning to a specialist, you can find out the causes of pollution.
Remember that the condition of your fish and plants directly depends on the state of the microflora in the aquarium.
Remember that too frequent replacement of water – stress for fish and plants, and if you have to completely change it, then there can be no question of stabilizing the microflora in the aquarium.
If you notice a brown fleecy plaque on the walls and plants, this indicates an invasion of brown algae, cleaning the aquarium is almost useless, you need to deal with the cause of the problem.
To become a decoration of your home or office, the aquarium must shine clean. And the fish in such an aquarium are better, they are more active, they get sick less and live longer. Keeping an artificial reservoir clean is not so difficult, but still there are some subtleties in this business that newcomers should be aware of.
Consider the basic issues of cleaning the aquarium at home.
Planned cleaning of the aquarium with the replacement of part of the water is usually carried out once or twice a week, depending on its size, population density, the presence of vegetation.
In each case, the question of the frequency of cleaning and water changes should be decided on the basis of
- the health of the fish,
- aquarium test scores
- and, of course, the appearance of the aquarium.
If the walls are tightened with a brown-green coating, a cloud of dirt rises from the bottom at the slightest movement of the fish, then it is time to clean up, even if everything is fine with the fish.
And, conversely, in a crystal-clear aquarium, concentrations of nitrogen compounds can go off-scale and, accordingly, fish suffer. And this is also a reason for urgent cleaning.
The cleaning algorithm is usually the following:
- we clean the walls from algal plaque;
- if necessary, we clean the scenery: stones, grottoes;
- if there are plants in the aquarium, we will weed and trim them;
- ground siphon (this procedure is not always performed);
- pour out of the aquarium of the water – this can be done during the siphon or on purpose;
- if necessary, wash the filter equipment;
- Pour clean water.
Before you start cleaning the aquarium, you must turn off all electrical equipment, except for external filters.
And now about everything in more detail.
Even in the most prosperous aquarium, an algal bloom forms on the walls, which makes the glass dull and untidy. Therefore, algae must be regularly removed. This can be done with:
- scraper with a metal blade (it can be replaced with a stationery knife blade);
- magnetic scraper;
- economic washcloths.
First option – long handle scraper or, to a lesser extent, the stationery knife is convenient and well removes algae and other contaminants, but is not suitable for Plexiglas aquariums, since it can leave scratches on their walls.
Magnetic scraper indispensable for deep tanks, as well as aquariums, which are restricted from above, or plexiglas tanks. It does not scratch the walls (with the exception of those cases when a grain of sand or a small fragment of soil falls between its parts) and makes it possible not to put your hands in the water.
Minus – it is difficult for them to clean the corners of the aquarium and the lower edge of the glass near the ground.
The economic washcloth option is the most economical, but it is not suitable for plexiglass and is the least convenient, since you have to get it everywhere with your hand.
The algal bloom taken off with a scraper or washcloth is not necessary to specifically catch and clean – that if you do not have time to eat fish, we will remove it when water is drained.
If you do not like the dark film of algae on the scenery, they can also be cleaned. This is done with a washcloth or a hard brush inside the aquarium or outside if you remove the jewelry.
Detergents and cleaning products are not used.
In order for the algae on the walls and decorations to be less, you can get algae fish, they will help in the fight for cleanliness.
And if the algae grow too fast, they are brown in color or resemble tassels in shape, then the situation in the aquarium is not completely safe, and measures must be taken to combat these representatives of lower plants.
Having cleaned the walls of the aquarium and weeding underwater plantations, we usually lift a lot of mud and dirt into the water. Now this dirty water needs to be drained.
This is done with a hose or aquarium siphon.
With the end of the hose or a siphon tube we drive near the bottom, starting from the most polluted places, and pour the dirty water into a bucket or basin (it’s better that they are white, then we can notice a shrimp or fish accidentally tightened in the water).
You can put the second end of the hose directly into the sewer hole, but this option is only possible for aquariums with large fish that do not exactly fall into the siphon or hose.
At one time, it usually changes from 15% to 50% of water, depending on the conditions of a particular aquarium. Matter
- filter power
- population density,
- demanding of animals to clean water
- the presence of live plants or phytofilter.
In order to find out how often and in what volume it is necessary to make replacements, it is best to use tests for nitrate – the content of this substance in the aquarium should not exceed 20-30 mg / l for undemanding fish and 5-10 mg / l for the fastidious and loving clean water. Such a concentration must be achieved with the help of substitutions.
No need to replace the water completely! This will no longer be cleaning, but restarting the aquarium.
Such a procedure is carried out only in the most extreme cases, for example, after an epidemic. It is impossible to settle the fish in the aquarium immediately after the general cleaning.
It will be necessary to give the system a few weeks to mature, as in the case of a new aquarium.
If necessary, during the routine cleaning, you can siphon the soil in order to remove excess organic contamination.
In aquariums with large fish and without live plants, it is recommended to do this at least weekly, but the more plants and the smaller the density of the fish population, the less often there is a need for this procedure.
Soil in herbalists and shrimp cooks, as a rule, do not siphon at all, so as not to damage the roots of plants, not to reduce the nutritional and biofiltration properties of the soil and not to injure small animals.
Aquarium is poured over at least 24-hour water with the same temperature as the fusion. Water is poured with a hose, bucket or watering can, depending on the size of the aquarium.
It is not poured on the ground, which can be washed with a stream, but on a saucer or, for example, a grotto.
After that, they turn on the filter and the rest of the equipment, check its operation and the health of the fish. After a while, when a small turbidity settles (and it almost inevitably arises), your aquarium will shine with purity.
Such a clean aquarium will please not only you, but also fish that will feel comfortable. And this is a guarantee of their health, longevity and lively, interesting behavior.
Video: Aquarium cleaning steps with examples.
In order for your aquarium to please you and your household for a long time, you need to maintain certain natural conditions for the fish in it. This is done using filters, compressors, lighting.
But without additional cleaning, the aquarium will quickly become dirty, so you need to clean the aquarium regularly and correctly.
The question “where to order a playground?” – 2 answers
- Scraper for glasses
- Rubber hose with a tip
- Pre-settled water
1. The first step is to clean the windows. Clean the glass of the aquarium from a specific coating should be regularly to maintain the beautiful aesthetic appearance of the aquarium.
The raid is cleaned quite easily with a special scraper. If there is no such scraper, then you can use a regular sponge for washing dishes, a razor blade or a plastic card such as a credit card for these purposes.
2. The second step is to clean the soil in the aquarium. The task of this stage is the removal of sewage, which is deposited in the ground.
This may be not eaten food, and the remnants of the rotten leaves of plants. They can be removed using a hose with a glass or metal tip. The diameter of the tube must be of such a size that the water with debris passes through it.
This cleaning step should be carried out very carefully so as not to damage the fish in the tank.
3. Then you need to change the water in the aquarium. Water must first be allowed to settle to remove chlorine impurities. The recommended volume of water changes is no more than 20-30% of the total volume of the aquarium, not more.
If you carry out the substitution more often than once a week, then this may have a bad effect on the health of the fish.
4. The final stage of cleaning the aquarium is flushing the filter. The filter is disassembled and thoroughly washed. Especially well you need to clean the filter element – a sponge.
In these sponges dirt accumulates, which the filter absorbs from the aquarium water. When washing the filter you should never use hot water and detergents. It is best to rinse the filter and its elements in cold settled water.
Then you need to collect the filter and install it in a clean aquarium.
If you have home flowers, they can be watered with merged water from the aquarium.
– cleaning of filter elements;
– and complete cleaning, that is, cleaning and filtering and mechanical elements;
Cleaning of filter elements is carried out regularly and as they become clogged, but full cleaning is recommended only in cases where colonies of microorganisms and so on interfere with the normal operation of the equipment.
It should be borne in mind that cleaning the aquarium filter to a sterile purity is not worth it – thus you will kill the beneficial colonies of bacteria that are also involved in the biological cleaning of aquarium water and help maintain the biobalance in the aquarium.
Have you ever wondered why in the filter, as a rule, two filter sponges, and not one? It is precisely in order to rinse one sponge and leave another for the speedy reproduction of a useful colony of bacteria throughout the filter.
When I first started doing aquaria, I was often told at the pet store: do not wash the filter in hot water, do not use soap and other detergents! For that period, I did not understand the essence of the advice – I dismissed it, which I later regretted.
Since at the beginning of time, the aquarium was covered with an incomprehensible white mud, slime and other ficaks, which obviously indicated a violation of the biobalance in the aquarium. Actually for the same reason, the aquarists’ gurus always say that old water is always better than fresh and too frequent or illiterate replacement of aquarium water with fresh water also leads to a violation of the biobalance.
From the above, you can deduce the following rules, which must be observed in the care and cleaning of the aquarium filter: – CLEAN THE FILTER IS NECESSARY AS NECESSARY. Try to wash filtration and aeration as rarely as possible.
The timing and frequency are purely individual and depend on many factors. I try not to wash the filter and aeration until it finally clogs.
– DO NOT CARRY OUT THE FILTER CLEAN AND FILTER ELEMENTS WITH SOAP AND OTHER WASHING TOOLS. This will completely kill the flora formed in the filter.
You should also not do this in hot water.
– DO NOT “STERILIZE” the FILTER, leave at least some of the bacteria. Well, now proceed to cleaning and washing the filter. To do this, take out the filter and carry it into the bath.
We disassemble: we disconnect blocks with a filtering element
Main mechanical block
Container with filter element
Sponge filter element
Empty container, without sponge
Disconnect the safety cap
We disassemble the cap into two components
We see a motor with blades
We take out a motor, pulling it
Disconnect the adapter air intake
In summary we get this picture
Wash the filter element
My filter motor
Clean the inside of the mechanical unit,
can use cotton buds
Clean the air supply switch
you can use a needle to clean the hole
After cleaning everything, we collect the filter in the reverse order.
Install the filter in the aquarium, connect to the network