maintenance, care, compatibility
Have you ever heard that the water in the aquarium bloomed or turned green, and very quickly. What to do in this case?
First, you need to find out the reason, and second, learn how to deal with it.
Why is the water in the aquarium green? The reason is as follows: when blue-green algae reproduce, or euglena, to wait for the landscaping of the water. You should know that these algae are single-celled and they float on the surface of the water in the form of an invisible film.
Euglena is an important part of the food chain of the underwater world, and under the necessary conditions (reduction of nutrients, carbon dioxide and oxygen, a wide range of temperature conditions), it is rapidly multiplying. It is not so easy to get rid of the flowering of water, given its sudden flashes.
With strong light (green algae love it), with frequent renewal of water using chemicals, the biological filtration system of aquarium water gets lost, as a result of which euglena multiplies and grows.
How green algae appear in water – additional reasons
Blue-green algae like long-lasting lighting, more than 10-12 hours a day. This is another reason why the reservoir blooms. When you start a new aquarium, you should light it gradually, starting from 4 hours a day, increasing the number of daylight hours to 10 hours.
Also, do not forget that with an excess of fertilizers for plants, the amount of phosphorus decreases. Plants grow poorly, and the water begins to turn green. That is why it is necessary to eliminate all the errors that are allowed during the maintenance of the aquarium:
- When starting the aquarium, the illumination is set up incorrectly, a large number of plants are planted;
Watch the video story about aquarium lighting.
- Frequent tank maintenance (water renewal, cleaning, aeration);
- Enhanced feeding of fish;
- High water temperature in the tank;
- Reverse cases – a rare care for the aquarium – not enough aeration, fresh water, no compressor.
Why is water blooming not a sentence? If you know the main thing that “greens” causes ammonia released by algae, everything will quickly fall into place. New, recently launched aquariums are sometimes not serviced correctly, which causes an incorrect nitrogen cycle.
The first outbreak of euglena can lead to the fact that it will be difficult to get rid of it forever. To regulate the nitrogen cycle when starting the aquarium, turn on the light for only a couple of hours for 30 days, use “old” water from the old aquarium and the used filter cartridge.
This normalizes the nitrogen cycle.
There are more ways to get rid of algae. What to do:
- Use an ultraviolet sterilizer to help neutralize euglen. Once turned on, it will destroy algae cells with ultraviolet light.
See how to choose the right UV sterilizer.
- Install a diatom filter – an effective way when dealing with green algae.
- Turn off the light in time. This method controls the appearance of “green” water, and will save time and money on additional equipment. Cover the aquarium on time. Feed the fish and other inhabitants of the aquarium for 7 hours of daylight. Healthy plants can live in water for about a week without using light. After the procedure, you can change 30% of the water to fresh.
- The use of coagulants – small particles in a mechanical filter that removes flowering from a water tank.
- Destroys the blue-green algae granular activated carbon added to the filter. In the process of “treatment” the filter can be cleaned 1-2 times a week.
- The use of micro cartridges also blocks outbreaks of flowering.
- In certain cases, combine these methods while simultaneously applying filters and ultraviolet (as an example).
The disturbed biological balance of the aquatic environment quickly deteriorates the health of living beings living in it. There are good recommendations that are suitable for aquariums with small fish, where the water is green, and the plants are not planted deep in the ground. To prevent the fish from getting sick, the following procedures should be performed:
- send pets to other aquariums or tanks with clean water and similar composition of water; make sure the fish do not get sick;
- transplant plants into other containers, adding methylene blue to them – the dose can be found on the package;
- clean the aquarium from the old soil, and buy a new one, treat it from parasites;
- dispose of green water (pour it into drains);
- empty container should be washed, filled with new water, adding to it 1-2 teaspoons of soda, which will create alkali;
- leave the aquarium with soda for 24 hours;
- re-boil the aquarium snags, the grottoes and artificial decorations can be transplanted into the aquarium with soda, after treatment, rinse everything in running water;
- After the procedure, you can start the aquarium again.
Almost all aquarium lovers ask the same question: why is the water in the aquarium turning green? And although this phenomenon does not harm the inhabitants of the small underwater world, from the point of view of aesthetics, the aquarium view is spoiled.
In addition, the green water in the aquarium will be disastrous dangerous for fish running directly from a clean pond.
We will try to figure out why water is blooming, and what to do about it.
Water blooms for various reasons, and therefore you need to have a general idea of all of them. So:
- First of all, improper lighting can spoil the water in the aquarium. This is due to the fact that the aquarist simply does not know the simplest rules of lighting. Water may bloom due to excessive lighting in the aquarium or due to improperly selected light mode for the season;
- also, the water in the aquarium may bloom due to pollution;
- finally, another reason for the bloom of water is improper feeding.
Often, beginning aquarists, because of ignorance of the key feeding rules, themselves provoke the fact that the water is green. This may be caused by a large amount of feed.
Since the fish do not eat much at once, the remains of food settle to the bottom of the aquarium and begin to rot.
That is why the flowering of water in the aquarium. Accordingly, in order to prevent this, it is necessary not to make the listed errors.
But what if the water in the aquarium has already become green?
It is clear that you will need to clean the aquarium and change the water. True, you should not just constantly change the water. The fact is that the algae will only multiply more actively.
But you also need to eliminate the cause. Above, we examined the main factors that cause water blooming.
If these factors are established correctly, the following measures can be taken.
Objectively speaking, the issue of lighting is solved even during the installation of the aquarium. But if this has not been done before, you can do the following. First, try to darken the aquarium slightly.
Secondly, try to ensure the appropriate light mode for the season. This means that in the winter the underwater world should receive coverage about 10 hours a day, while in the summer it will take 12 hours;
In this case, you need to quickly and efficiently clean the water. In this issue you can take into account several useful recommendations.
- So, you can run more daphnids alive. A little more means as much as your fish cannot eat at a time. The fact is that daphnias effectively deal with algae that fill the space under water;
- You can also purchase special drugs that are designed specifically for cases with green water. Such drugs are sold in almost all pet stores;
- An effective way would be to settle into the aquarium of such creatures who love to eat algae and, therefore, help in matters of water clarification. Such creatures include mollies, snails, shrimps, catfish;
- If soil contamination is observed, it should be thoroughly cleaned. At this time, the inhabitants of the aquarium should be transplanted into a different container;
- It is possible that the pollution is due to equipment malfunction, so it is worth checking its condition;
- They also recommend using a chemical cleaning method. Its essence lies in the fact that streptomycin powder dissolves in water, and the resulting solution is added to the aquarium. Do not be afraid, because this method is absolutely safe for fish;
- In addition, there are specially designed filters to eliminate green water. For example, there is a sterilizer that destroys algae with ultraviolet rays.
If contamination is caused by improper feeding
Everything is very simple here. If you have accurately determined that water is polluted due to improper feeding, then you need to carefully study the relevant instructions.
To properly feed the fish, you will need to strictly follow the instructions of such instructions.
Thus, to eliminate the flowering of water in the aquarium is quite simple. But for this it is important to determine why this is happening.
For domestic aquariums, turbidity and blooming of water are characteristic phenomena. The reason that the water in the aquarium turns green and grows turbid is very often the green microalgae, which, under conditions favorable to them, actively proliferate, this is facilitated by an excess of light.
And why is the water in the aquarium without algae turning green? This leads to the wrong location of the aquarium, it should not settle down in the place where there is an excess of direct sunlight, this leads to an increase in water temperature, and as a result, it is not flowing, stagnant water quickly turns green and blooms.
We have already understood why the water quickly turns green in an aquarium, now we will learn how to eliminate it. First of all, to exclude too strong lighting and exposure to sunlight.
It should be for a short time to darken the aquarium, at the same time, algae that contribute to the flowering of water, will begin to decline.
What else needs to be done if the water in the aquarium turns green quickly? Run into the aquarium “live filters”, that is, organisms that feed on harmful algae.
Shrimps, snails, catfish and daphnids contribute to the rapid purification of water from the negative state.
In the case of greening and turbidity of water, it is necessary to completely replace it and check the quality of the aquarium equipment, especially for filters.
You should also control the amount of food – if it is not completely eaten, then, settling in the ground, also leads to damage to the biochemical composition of the aquatic environment in the aquarium.
What else can you do if the water in the aquarium turns green? To do this, there are special tools that contribute to the destruction of protozoa.
This can be streptomycin powder, diluting it in a small amount of boiled water, you need to enter into the water using aeration.