maintenance, care, compatibility
Have you ever heard that the water in the aquarium bloomed or turned green, and very quickly. What to do in this case?
First, you need to find out the reason, and second, learn how to deal with it.
Why is the water in the aquarium green? The reason is as follows: when blue-green algae reproduce, or euglena, to wait for the landscaping of the water. You should know that these algae are single-celled and they float on the surface of the water in the form of an invisible film.
Euglena is an important part of the food chain of the underwater world, and under the necessary conditions (reduction of nutrients, carbon dioxide and oxygen, a wide range of temperature conditions), it is rapidly multiplying. It is not so easy to get rid of the flowering of water, given its sudden flashes.
With strong light (green algae love it), with frequent renewal of water using chemicals, the biological filtration system of aquarium water gets lost, as a result of which euglena multiplies and grows.
How green algae appear in water – additional reasons
Blue-green algae like long-lasting lighting, more than 10-12 hours a day. This is another reason why the reservoir blooms.
When you start a new aquarium, you should light it gradually, starting from 4 hours a day, increasing the number of daylight hours to 10 hours. Also, do not forget that with an excess of fertilizers for plants, the amount of phosphorus decreases.
Plants grow poorly, and the water begins to turn green. That is why it is necessary to eliminate all the errors that are allowed during the maintenance of the aquarium:
- When starting the aquarium, the illumination is set up incorrectly, a large number of plants are planted;
Watch the video story about aquarium lighting.
- Frequent tank maintenance (water renewal, cleaning, aeration);
- Enhanced feeding of fish;
- High water temperature in the tank;
- Reverse cases – a rare care for the aquarium – not enough aeration, fresh water, no compressor.
Why is water blooming not a sentence? If you know the main thing that “greens” causes ammonia released by algae, everything will quickly fall into place. New, recently launched aquariums are sometimes not serviced correctly, which causes an incorrect nitrogen cycle.
The first outbreak of euglena can lead to the fact that it will be difficult to get rid of it forever. To regulate the nitrogen cycle when starting the aquarium, turn on the light for only a couple of hours for 30 days, use “old” water from the old aquarium and the used filter cartridge.
This normalizes the nitrogen cycle.
There are more ways to get rid of algae. What to do:
- Use an ultraviolet sterilizer to help neutralize euglen. Once turned on, it will destroy algae cells with ultraviolet light.
See how to choose the right UV sterilizer.
- Install a diatom filter – an effective way when dealing with green algae.
- Turn off the light in time. This method controls the appearance of “green” water, and will save time and money on additional equipment. Cover the aquarium on time. Feed the fish and other inhabitants of the aquarium for 7 hours of daylight. Healthy plants can live in water for about a week without using light. After the procedure, you can change 30% of the water to fresh.
- The use of coagulants – small particles in a mechanical filter that removes flowering from a water tank.
- Destroys the blue-green algae granular activated carbon added to the filter. In the process of “treatment” the filter can be cleaned 1-2 times a week.
- The use of micro cartridges also blocks outbreaks of flowering.
- In certain cases, combine these methods while simultaneously applying filters and ultraviolet (as an example).
The disturbed biological balance of the aquatic environment quickly deteriorates the health of living beings living in it. There are good recommendations that are suitable for aquariums with small fish, where the water is green, and the plants are not planted deep in the ground. To prevent the fish from getting sick, the following procedures should be performed:
- send pets to other aquariums or tanks with clean water and similar composition of water; make sure the fish do not get sick;
- transplant plants into other containers, adding methylene blue to them – the dose can be found on the package;
- clean the aquarium from the old soil, and buy a new one, treat it from parasites;
- dispose of green water (pour it into drains);
- empty container should be washed, filled with new water, adding to it 1-2 teaspoons of soda, which will create alkali;
- leave the aquarium with soda for 24 hours;
- re-boil the aquarium snags, the grottoes and artificial decorations can be transplanted into the aquarium with soda, after treatment, rinse everything in running water;
- After the procedure, you can start the aquarium again.
The cause of the turbidity of the water is considered “euglena”, known as free-floating alga. It is an integral part of the food chain and quickly adapts to environmental conditions.
The national name “green water” exactly describes the appearance of the vessel, in which such alga is present. Most often, aquarium owners are faced with a problem eugle some weeks after launch.
But why does the water turn green in the aquarium and the algae reproduction begins? There are several reasons:
- Wrong lighting. Excessive light triggers the growth of small algae. If the lighting in the aquarium works for more than 10 hours, then this can be considered favorable conditions for the development of euglena. Starting the aquarium lighting should be turned on for 4 hours, adding a couple of hours in 3 days.
- Excess ammonia. That it is often available in new aquariums and with large-scale changes of fluid. Watch out for the composition of the water you are adding and this problem can be avoided.
- Improper feeding. Overfeeding the fish can cause water bloom. Excess food, not eaten by fish, will settle at the bottom and will be the main reason why the stones are green in the aquarium.
First you need to eliminate the causes evgleny. If the matter is in the wrong light, either set a suitable light mode, or deprive the aquarium of direct sunlight. If the reason is unknown, then you can resort to the methods:
- Run into the water a lot of living daphnia. They will quickly deal with small algae and clean the water.
- Get drugs from Euglena.
- To lead creatures that lighten the waters: catfish, mollies, snails, petilia,
- If the soil is contaminated with organic waste, transfer the fish to another tank and clean the soil.
- Use diatomaceous filters, UV sterilizers or micron cartridges.
By following these tips, you will keep the water in the aquarium crystal clear and fresh.
Why is the water green in the aquarium :: the water is green in the aquarium what to do :: Aquarium fish
“Flowering” of water is typical for various reservoirs, including home aquariums. Water usually turns green in the summer – in July or August, this process can be accompanied by an unpleasant smell and death of the fish.
To get rid of “flowering”, you need to find out its cause.
The question “opened a pet store. Business is not going. What to do? “- 2 answers
1. In addition to fish, snails, plants and other living creatures, plankton lives in an aquarium, causing water to bloom – filamentous and unicellular green algae. In conditions of medium or low light, low water temperature, phytoplankton multiplies slowly, the water remains clear.
Some factors contribute to the intensive increase in the mass of microorganisms.
2. The most basic reason for the enhanced growth of microscopic algae is a large amount of light. If the aquarium’s lighting is too intense, the water may turn green even in winter.
In the summer, there is enough natural daylight to “bloom”, especially if the aquarium is in direct sunlight.
3. The second important factor in the “blooming” of water is the increase in its temperature. The active division of phytoplankton begins when the water temperature becomes higher than the average annual.
4. The presence of excessive amounts of organic matter in water is another factor contributing to the growth of microorganisms. If you poorly conduct aquarium hygiene and regularly overfeed the fish, phytoplankton, especially Euglena green, begins to divide in this nutrient medium.
5. The last factor affecting the purity of the aquarium is the lack of clean water. If you save on the filter and aeration, chemical-chemical balance of water suffers, which leads to the transformation of the aquarium into a “swamp”.
6. The most radical way to get rid of “flowering” – a complete replacement of water, followed by shading the aquarium. If it is problematic to completely change the water, it can be changed to a third and cover the aquarium from the light. Without illumination, phytoplankton will cease to multiply, and infusoria, for which it is food, will purify water.
In addition, the aquarium can be populated with daphnia, shrimp, catfish, snails, which also feed on microscopic algae.
7. If the water is green – reduce the amount of food for the inhabitants of the aquarium. Normally, fish should eat everything in 5-15 minutes.
For a day or two, you can even completely stop feeding – the fish will have enough of the food that is already in the water. Watch also for the proper operation of the devices for filtering and aerating the aquarium – this helps to avoid excessive accumulation of organic matter in the water.
Slight greening of the water for the fish is not considered dangerous, but if the “bloom” is strong enough, it can be fatal for some inhabitants of the aquarium. Green algae litter the gills of fish, and in addition, at night, phytoplankton needs oxygen, as a result of which the “official” inhabitants of the aquarium begin to choke.
If all your efforts do not lead to water purification, try using chemicals – they can be purchased at pet stores. At observance of the instruction and the specified doses these substances are safe for inhabitants of an aquarium and plants.
Aquarium is a special natural-territorial complex with individual properties. Changing one part may entail a change in the whole. So, consider the main causes of turbidity:
- improperly selected soil;
- improper feeding of the inhabitants;
- frequent or abnormal water changes;
- missing or malfunctioning filter;
- the presence of large fish;
- small size aquarium.
All these factors lead either to mechanical pollution of the water, or, worse, to bacterial.
Consider the cases of mechanical pollution. These include the small size of the aquarium, the presence of large fish, the wrong ground.
The small size of the aquarium leads to frequent biochemical flashes, especially if the inhabitants are chosen incorrectly. Thus, the smallest containers are usually allocated for shrimps, snails, and other relatively neutral residents.
When dregs appear, it is necessary to reconsider and, if possible, change the population of the aquarium, settle the filtration. Perhaps the problem is in the wrong type of filter.
Tips for eliminating:
- Change the location of the filter (from horizontal to vertical or vice versa), as the landscape can interfere with the flow of water.
- Replace the filter itself. A stronger filter or another type of filter (bottom, internal, external) can help.
- Change the filter filler.
- Follow the lighting in the day, if necessary, reduce it.
- Change the population from too large fish to small ones or reduce the number of small fish, but increase the number of biological cleaners.
The reason for the turbidity of water may be excessive feeding of fish. It should be at least a few days deliberately underfed pets, make sure that the food has been eaten completely. How to determine whether ate fish? After 15 minutes from the start of feeding you need to remove all the remnants of food, preventing rotting residues at the bottom and the subsequent deterioration of water.
The soil must be properly selected, pet shop consultants will always help. And it also needs to be poured competently, not evenly horizontally, but with a slope to the back wall in order to make it easier to clean.
The color of the water in the aquarium is determined by various factors. Among them are the presence of living plants or slugs, feed properties, low oxygen saturation, reproduction of bacteria and, as a result, the growth of algae that settle on the ground, glass, and everything that is in the water.
Reproduction of microscopic green euglenic algae leads to the staining of the aquatic environment in a yellow-green or bright green unnatural color. A small amount of these plants is always available in any aquarium.
They get with food, imperceptibly contained even in clear water. And active reproduction leads to greening, which can be caused by improperly organized, excessive lighting of the aquarium.
Trying to keep the fish in sight, you still need to protect them from direct sunlight, as well as from enhanced artificial lighting. In winter, lighting should be switched on for no more than 10 hours, and on a summer day – for 12 hours.
Otherwise, euglena can cover both walls and decor items; it will not be so easy to clean them in the future.
To combat single-celled algae, you can place a horn plant in the aquarium, which will release water from excess nitrogen, and the growth of microalgae will be stopped. If possible, add tadpoles or daphnias, and after a day remove them from purified water.
An increased level of phosphate in the water also leads to its fast greening. These salts may be contained in large quantities in fish feed and into the water with excrement.
The source of phosphate can serve as tap water. To combat excess phosphate, you can plant special plants.
Chemical methods are used for cleaning. There are special powders for sale that are harmless to fish and plants.
When buying fish to novice aquarists, it is recommended to always consult with experts working in the store. They will help not only to choose the ground, filter, food, but also explain what kind of fish can be planted in one aquarium.
Why does the water bloom in the aquarium :: green water in the aquarium what to do :: Aquarium fish
The flowering of water in an aquarium often begins suddenly. At first, the water becomes slightly cloudy, then becomes green and slightly transparent.
To combat these phenomena, you need to know its nature.
The question “opened a pet store. Business is not going. What to do? “- 2 answers
- – lighting
- – aquarium filters and sprayers
- – compressor
- – plastic can
- – piercing needles
1. The reason for the blooming of water is the mass reproduction of unicellular flagellated microorganisms. Botanists attribute them to algae, zoologists – in part to the simplest animals.
But it will be important for you that all these microorganisms are capable of photosynthesis, that is, light is necessary for their development.
2. It is the excess light that is always indicated as the main cause of water blooming. When installing the aquarium, you must ensure that direct sunlight does not fall on it.
An exception can be made only for spawning aquariums and only for the immediate spawning period, if necessary.
3. The spectral composition of light is also important. Higher plants prefer the “warm” light of incandescent bulbs, while the algae multiply rapidly with the “cold” light of fluorescent lamps.
Use a combination of different light sources and try to choose the illumination so that it is sufficient for the growth of aquarium plants, but no more. It is necessary to light the aquarium from above.
4. For photosynthesis of flagellates, the content of carbon dioxide in water, which is abundantly released by aquarium animals, is of great importance. Higher plants are competitors of flagellates in the absorption of carbon dioxide, but they also release it in the dark.
Ammonia dissolved in water is also a food for flagellates.
5. Be sure to use aeration and filtration of water in the aquarium, and around the clock. Thus, you will create conditions for normal gas exchange, and this, in turn, will reduce the likelihood of water blooming.
Filtration will allow you to get rid of suspended organic residues, which are the nutrient medium for lower organisms, such as euglena – an active participant in the flowering process.
6. If the water in the aquarium has already blossomed, then you will have to fight this phenomenon. A complete change of water will not give results. The unicellular flagellated chlamydomonads can form drought-resistant spores, and eugleins are cysts.
After a while, the aquarium will bloom again. Better use biological methods to combat flowering.
7. Microorganisms that cause water blooming are the food of many animals. Young tadpoles of a spur frog will clear the aquarium flagellates in a few hours.
If you run the large daphnia Magna in the aquarium, they filter the water for a couple of days, and the fish themselves will eat them later.
8. You can use the mollusks-filter feeders. Bicuspid sharovki reliably clean and protect your aquarium from water bloom if you plant them in a plastic jar with small holes, burned by a needle.
The walls of the banks will protect them from fish.
Do not use snuff or perlovits as filter mollusks in any case. These mollusks infect fish with their larvae – glochidia.
If you find a patina of green color in an aquarium, then first of all you should pay attention to caring for it. If you do not clean and change water in time, then sooner or later you will definitely encounter a green tint of water and walls.
This state of affairs can be deadly for the inhabitants.
Measures to clean the aquarium from green algae:
- Reduce the light intensity. Green algae grow favorably with excessive light, so limit the backlight time to 10 hours per day. Avoid direct sunlight, from which the water becomes even greener.
- Daily replacement of 15% water. Of course, this process will take a lot of time, but it is necessary to do so in order to preserve the ecosystem in a neglected aquarium. Water suited for this purpose is suitable for this.
After the algae visually disappeared, it is necessary to take measures to eliminate the source of water infection. The presence of plants will help you protect your body of water from uninvited “guests.”
It has been proven that the presence of flora favorably affects the cleanliness of the aquarium and the algae do not settle on the walls, decor, plants and soil. From this it follows that it is necessary to settle as many plants as possible, which will protect aqua.
It happens that algae go into the active phase even with a large number of plants. This suggests that the flora is in a disgusting state. Most often this means that the plants do not receive the necessary trace elements.
The first nutrient deficiency causes insufficient nutrition. That is why experienced aquarists know how important it is to apply fertilizer to the soil.
Be careful when choosing a fertilizer. Since in the struggle for the popularity of zoological fish, many manufacturers proudly declare the absence of nitrates and phosphates in their products.
Thus, they are trying to convey that they have excluded those products that cause the growth of algae. But, on the other hand, these macronutrients are incredibly important for maintaining harmony in the ecosystem.
Most novice breeders diligently choose phosphate-free products and only make things worse, without knowing it. In fact, nitrates and phosphates are the main food for plants.
If you believe the statistics, then more than 80% of the problems associated with the lack of these elements. Unfortunately, this can only be learned in a critical situation, when plants stop growing, and algae overwhelm all the space, walls, soil and scenery begin to sink in a green patina.
Green plaque that forms on the walls is called xenokakus. Because of it, the walls and decorations are covered with an unpleasant shade. Xenokocus multiplies under the influence of excess light, so most often this problem occurs in aquariums with excessive lighting.
Limit light output to 5 watts per liter of water.
The second most important reason can be considered a lack of oxygen or more jumps in performance during the day. If this is not your first time encountering this problem, then consider buying an H type controller.
However, it is hardly possible to protect oneself from this phenomenon forever, but it is quite realistic to slow down.
Prevention in the appearance of green plaque:
- Oxygen regulation;
- Lighting limit up to 8 hours;
- Decrease light intensity;
- Establishment of snails of theodox, fiz, coils, antsistrusov and otozinclyus
To resort to chemical means to clean the aquarium is not recommended only if the situation becomes threatening to all inhabitants.