maintenance, care, compatibility
If you want to create a unique aquascape in the walls of your home aquarium, you need to create your own aquarium decorations. For crafts, you can use both special materials from the store, as well as handy, but safe and pre-treated.
Homemade décor can be made from natural or artificial raw materials; these can be simple or complex blanks. Simple decorations include simple grottoes, caverns or wooden decks.
To difficult – “sunken” ships, chests, underwater cities, fancy underwater reefs.
A background composition made in the form of an imitation of a rocky bottom, a coral reef or thickets of thick plants can recreate a colorful perspective on the walls of an aquarium. Proper lighting and decoration of the back wall of the aquarium will attract the attention of not indifferent admirers of marine aesthetics.
Of course, the whole matter of taste, because some prefer a completely darkened background, while others want to see something exciting.
The second option is more appropriate because it provides an opportunity to dream. Beautiful patterns on the ocean theme can be applied to the back wall of the tank, in which a special self-adhesive film with a print can help. An important aspect is to attach the material well to the glass.
To do this, you need to degrease the surface of the glass with a special solution, then moisten the glass with water from a spray bottle, and carefully stick the sticker. Then with a plastic card align the pattern by removing air bubbles under the cover.
You can make a background using foam. The material is completely harmless and easy to use.
It is necessary to burn one side of the part until small bubbles appear. When it cools down, it is necessary to apply a thin layer of cement to the surface of the abrasive. The result is a gray relief, a semblance of an underwater rocky reef.
It is attached to the back wall of the aquarium with a scotch tape. Looks nice and natural.
See how to make the background for the aquarium.
Psychologists say that the aquarium allows a person to relax and get rid of stress. And if the design of your aquarium is also close to the natural sea or river bottom (this means that it does not contain artificial ships, skulls, chopped vases, colored gravel), then such a piece of nature helps to relax even more.
To make yourself such a corner of nature, you do not need a lot of costs. Everything that can be decorated with an aquarium is under our hands.
And the process of creating jewelry for the aquarium is quite fascinating. Today is very fashionable natural and natural decoration of aquariums.
You can buy such jewelry in the store, but why spend money if you can make it yourself?
For example, from natural materials you can make such crafts for the aquarium with your own hands as a grotto for fish. It can be made from a single large stone that is not very hard rock.
Grind into the stone as many holes as you want. Lay such a grotto in the aquarium on the mound of soil.
You can make a grotto of small pebbles. For convenience, this procedure should be carried out in an aquarium.
So that your structure does not crumble and firmly held, we glue the stones to each other with the help of a special aquarium silicone, which does not harm the fish.
The easiest way is a cave made of wood. To make it, we take a stump of any tree, but exclude an oak from this list – it paints water.
We process wood by boiling in salt water. Then we make holes in hemp, which we then burn and process.
And the stump itself is worth processing for smoothness. The tree will give the aquarium not only a beautiful and aesthetic look, but also help to soften the water in the aquarium.
Naturally and naturally in the aquarium look decorations in the form of snags. Such decorations for the aquarium with their own hands to make simple, and there is no point buying these things in the store.
For its manufacture we find that snag, which, in your opinion, will look great in an aquarium. But with all this, it should not be rotten, rotten and oak wood.
Then we treat it by boiling in salt water for several hours. Then remove the bark to snag was smooth.
The most important thing is to place the snag in the aquarium on day 10 after it is filled with water. When decorating an aquarium with a snag, make sure that it does not float.
To make it, we take polystyrene tile, cut an ornament of stones on it, and rocks. Then, to add all this smoothness, we burn with fire so that the foam melts slightly.
Then we cover everything with cement grade 500, sprinkle with coarse sand, tint with color. Fasten the background to the wall of the aquarium with sealant.
So personally you can beautifully decorate the aquarium without extra costs. What you do with your own hands will delight your eyes even more and warm your soul.
Aquaria – a very exciting business. It happens that people are limited to a modest aquarium and a pair of goldfish.
However, most often silent pets take more and more of our time. The aquarium is gradually becoming the central element in the interior, so much time is needed for its decoration and, of course, fantasy.
The stores feature a huge number of living and artificial algae, multi-colored stones for the bottom, shells and real sculptural compositions. Experienced aquarists prefer to do the decor for the aquarium with their own hands.
For the inhabitants of the aquarium, the background is absolutely not important, but for grateful spectators a beautiful picture is far from the last. It creates a certain mood and emphasizes other elements of the underwater interior.
Some experts believe the most advantageous black background, which is associated with the depth of the ocean. Bright fish on it look fresh and unusual.
You can buy a finished film in a pet store or create an original drawing and print it to order. In this case, the most important thing is to correctly apply the image to the glass.
In addition, the decor for aquarium PVC film has a long service life.
Making decoration for the aquarium do not require special skills, and the simplest material is a stone. You can build a beautiful grotto, slide or cave – use aquarium silicone to hold smooth pebbles.
Like wooden snags, stones need careful processing and boiling (about ten minutes). The scenery must be not only original, but also safe.
Be sure to check the stones for alkali to prevent changes in the chemical balance of water.
Apply a few drops of vinegar to the surface and watch the reaction. The appearance of sizzling bubbles means that there is limestone in the composition, and it is better not to use such a stone to decorate the aquarium.
Novice aquarists tend to opt for beauty, not naturalness. Silicone decor for the aquarium looks bright, is inexpensive, does not require special care and durable (according to the promises of manufacturers).
Multi-colored jellyfish, divers with treasures, a water mill, corals, plants and even the sea inhabitants themselves – in the pet store you can find a lot of silicone items.
If you decide to purchase artificial jewelry, choose a reliable seller. Products made in China are of low cost and questionable composition, so no one guarantees their safety.
The main advice: any decor for an aquarium requires a sense of proportion. Remember that the inhabitants of the reservoir should be enough freedom of movement.
Do not overload the space for aesthetic beauty. Especially this advice applies to beginners who have not fully understood the rules of care for the aquarium.
DIY Aquarium Lighting – video description
The first way is to make your own illumination of the aquarium with LEDs – the simplest, where you can additionally equip a lighting cap with special fitolamps. For this purpose, a white LED strip is attached around the perimeter.
This will give the optimum spectrum and the most uniform illumination along the upper perimeter of the aquarium. A plastic-filled LED tape based on self-bonding is used, where the protective layer is removed and fastened around the perimeter of the box.
This light is widely used for decorative purposes, but it cannot be an independent source of aquarium lighting. Insulation at the junction of the tape and cord is made of special transparent silicone used for aquariums. It will reliably protect the power cord from water.
The output wires are marked in red, this is a plus, and the minus is a black or blue wire. If the polarity is not observed, the LEDs will not work.
The second way is to collect a full-fledged LED lighting aquarium sufficient power without generators and sophisticated equipment. At 200-300 liters, a power of 120 watts is sufficient for an aquarium richly planted with plants. This adds a total of 40 dot LEDs for 270 lumens, 3 watts each.
As a result, 10,800 lumens of light will come out, which will give a very bright light for a given volume. It is important to monitor the balance of the entire ecosystem, and with an excess of light and the development of green microorganisms, it is necessary to reduce the overall intensity.
The cost of such a design can vary greatly, since in Chinese online stores, for example, even more reputable companies can find LEDs and power supplies of the same quality. At the same time prices may vary at times.
For self-installation of the backlight will need:
- LED lamp kit
- 2-2,5 meters of a plastic trench 100 mm wide,
- 12 volt power supply, can be from a computer,
- soft wire 1.5 mm,
- preferably 6 computer coolers at 12 volts,
- 40 connector slots for LEDs
- 48 mm hole cutter.
The length of the aquarium will cut 2 pieces of the gutter, in the bottom of which we drill holes, about 20 pieces per meter, placing them in a checkerboard pattern. LED lamps are inserted into the holes and fasten.
All lamps must be connected to the power supply in parallel to the 12 volt power supply. For proper connection, it is better to contact an electrician, since the connection scheme may seem difficult for people who are not experts in the field of connecting lamps to the connectors.
Computer coolers or fans should be installed when large vapors or lids are heated for lighting.
For decorative purposes, sometimes they make additional night lights, such as moonlight. To do this, connect a little blue LED strip, which can be installed behind the rear wall, but so that it was below the bottom of the aquarium.
The electric timer can turn it on when the daylight turns off.
Advantages and disadvantages of various aquarium lighting options
Determine what types of aquarium lighting exist about their features:
- Backlight aquarium using incandescent bulbs has already become yesterday. They are very warm, disturbing the heat balance, and shine a little.
- Illumination with the use of fluorescent lamps solves the problem of light intensity, but the required spectrum of illumination does not fully provide.
- Aquarium lighting with the use of modern fitolamp fully provides both the intensity and the required range of lighting. However, such lighting is very expensive and not everyone can afford it.
- LED lighting aquarium – a modern way to supply light, which is most close to natural light.
Lighting aquarium DIY led tape.
Lighting an aquarium with LED tape is one of the most energy-saving and, importantly, safe ways to light an aquarium. Of all types of LED lighting for the aquarium, the best is the lighting of the aquarium with LED tape.
The advantages of such lighting:
- LED tape is energy efficient, aquarium lighting with LED tape is the most economical type of lighting.
- Such aquarium lighting is safe. The voltage of the power supply unit supplying the LED strip for the aquarium is 12 Volt, such voltage is safe not only for people but also for the flora and fauna of your aquarium.
- Adjusting the luminous flux. You can always add or remove the brightness of the lighting, so you can adjust any ice lighting for the aquarium.
- Can be used as additional lighting. An aquarium with plants often requires additional lighting of the aquarium. From the LED strip you get an excellent LED lighting aquarium with plants with your own hands, as the main and additional.
- Diode lighting aquarium in various colors. Although it is recommended to use white LED strips for lighting an aquarium, this does not negate the fact that there are different colors and types of LED strips in nature.
- Simplified installation. It is very easy to mount the LED tape on the aquarium due to the adhesive tape base.
- An opportunity to mount a LED tape as lighting of an aquarium under water, at the expense of tightness and a class of protection IP65.
To make lighting aquarium LED tape with your own hands, but you will need a power supply of 12 Volts, 5 meters of LED tape (1 reel) power consumption of the tape 9.5 Watts per meter.
Total about $ 50 cost our lighting for the aquarium, the price of one reel of tape, protection class IP65, is $ 25, power supply – $ 20. Our aquarium took 2.2 meters of light tape.
We isolated the place of cutting and connecting the LED strip to the power supply unit using a transparent sealant, and glued it to the aquarium lid so that there was no contact with water and the filtration system. As a result, we have an enviable aquarium with filter and lighting.
The rest of the tape stock we used to highlight the computer system unit
STONES FOR THE AQUARIUM TYPES DESCRIPTION PHOTO REGISTRATION DESIGN VIDEO.
ROUND AQUARIUM – DESIGNING CARE DESIGN PHOTO VIDEO.
Aquarium lighting with LEDs is a relatively new offer. LEDs have important characteristics that today make them leaders among lighting fixtures.
The use of such lamps has a large number of advantages.
- They are very easy to install, due to the fact that the cartridges fit almost all types of socles.
- LED lamps are not afraid of water, therefore, the likelihood of a short circuit is excluded. However, even in conditions of high humidity, these lighting devices function without interruption.
- LED lamps designed to illuminate the aquarium, fireproof.
- Such lamps do not generate heat during operation, which makes it possible to keep the overall temperature of the aquarium comfortable, even if the lamps work throughout the day.
- Depending on the length of the day, the presence of natural light, you can change the brightness of the aquarium lighting. In addition, it is possible to make a night lighting of the aquarium and observe the life of the fish, admiring amazing underwater pictures.
Important! The average time of one lamp is five years. Consequently, all this time there will be no need to make replacement parts and do not have to disturb the inhabitants of the aquarium.
In addition, it should be said about energy saving (about 70%). For these reasons, most aquarium owners prefer to light them with LED lamps.
The same qualities have special LED strip.
Safety and durability
Since the LED lamps do not emit ultraviolet and infrared radiation, they are completely safe for absolutely all the inhabitants of the aquarium. On the contrary, the lighting of the aquarium with LEDs on the coloring and health of the fish is beneficial.
In addition, due to the spectral composition of the rays, they contribute to the development of aquarium plants. To the aquarium was lit as best as possible, you can combine different types of LED lamps.
They can be installed in any conditions and in any premises.
co2 for aquarium do it yourself photo video description.
The same fluorescent, but adapted for use with cheap fittings for incandescent lamps. By default, the “launcher” for the lamp is in the electronics of the lamp itself.
If you are lucky with the manufacturer and the quality of electronics – the warranty period will last. If not, the lighting of the aquarium with energy-saving lamps will cease to function precisely because of breakdowns in cheap electronics.
- Spectrum lighting aquarium. Regarding the spectrum, manufacturers are forced to install control electronics in each light bulb, so they are trying to save on something else.
Most often – on the phosphor.
Its quality is verified simply – on the site of a solid manufacturer the spectrum is ALWAYS present. If it’s not there, a regular CD comes to the rescue.
To determine the spectrum of lighting aquarium, just look at the “rainbow” of the light of the lamp being tested, reflected from the disk. If the “rainbow” of individual colors, the phosphor – cheap and in order to make the lighting of the aquarium is not suitable.
If the “rainbow” is continuous, then you (and home water) are lucky!
How to calculate the lighting for the aquarium? The power of fluorescent lamps for the aquarium is also calculated “from liters”.
One liter of water is preferably about half a watt of lamp power. That is, an aquarium of one hundred liters will need fifty watts of fluorescent lighting (or a set of two or three energy-saving lamps of the same total power).
Today, aquarium fluorescent lighting is the unofficial standard for home oceans. In any case, the vast majority of purchased aquariums are sold with luminous lighting.
Such aquarium lighting uses an electrical discharge in a flask filled with mercury vapor. As a result, the aquarium is illuminated with ultraviolet light, affecting a layer of a special phosphor substance.
Here it is, depending on the composition, and emits a “day” light with a small admixture of ultraviolet radiation. And if you use a special quartz glass for the bulb of a fluorescent lamp – you’ll get a tanning lamp
- There are two types of “daytime” lamps on the market – the so-called “cold” and “warm” ones. Products marked D (LD, LDC, etc.) are poorly suited for lighting the aquarium, as they have almost no red color in the spectrum. They are more used in the production “state” premises. But the lamps with marking B (LB, LTP, etc.) are similar to daylight in the spectrum and are well suited for aquarium lighting, both for fish and for aquarium lighting for plants.
- High-quality fluorescent lamps are more expensive than incandescent lamps – both the accessories and the lamps themselves. It is better not to be greedy and buy lighting aquarium with a reliable launcher. The fact is that in trying to conquer the market, manufacturers have developed low-cost lighting fixtures for aquarium lighting, which use cheap lamps with built-in launchers. But miracles do not happen and you have to pay twice for the “savings” – such lamps are used for a short time, and the electronics, “molded” from cheap components, primarily deteriorate. So soon the repair of the aquarium lighting will be provided.
- The choice is big – both cheap and expensive solutions.
- Fluorescent lamps are almost not heated – they recycle most of the electrical energy into light and ultraviolet.
Such aquarium lighting is on average 2-3 times more economical than incandescent bulbs.
An improved version of the incandescent lamp. Iodine or bromine is added to the flask, which allows you to raise the temperature of the filament and prolongs the life of the lamp:
- The spectrum of lamps is also shifted to the red area, although it is smaller than that of ordinary incandescent lamps. These lights adore photographers for almost perfect color reproduction. This aquarium light radiates more ultraviolet light.
- Halogen lamps are somewhat more expensive than their predecessors. Ease of use – at the level of incandescent bulbs.
- Accessibility for aquarium lighting is ideal.
- Halogen lamps “recycle” more energy into the light, but they still differ in their overly “hot” temper and are not perfect as lamps to light an aquarium.
The oldest source of electric lighting. Let us analyze this type of lighting in more detail:
- The spectrum of incandescent bulbs is shifted to the red area. That is why such aquarium lighting is especially advantageous for red fish. But the inhabitants of the aquarium of other colors will look faded and distorted. Not the best option for aquarium plants – ultraviolet in the spectrum of the incandescent lamp a bit. Lighting aquarium for plants with such lamps is not very suitable.
- With ease of use, everything is clear – the oldest type of electric lighting long ago was overgrown with a bunch of “bells and whistles” for all occasions that are available in any specialized store. Everything is great with ease of use. Although to illuminate the aquarium, the option is more difficult than the trivial “on-off” option. For example, the dimmer and turn-on delay mode dramatically increases lamp life and allows you to smoothly adjust the illumination.
- Accessibility is perfect.
- Efficiency is the worst possible. Most of the energy goes into heat, which is not always useful for aquarium dwellers and decently “shakes” the counter.
As soon as lovers imbued with the beauty of tropical fish. hedgehogs. starfish and live corals. then the first problem that they have to solve is the problem of correct lighting. After all, the light is needed and fish, and the inhabitants of the reefs.
And for the latter, it is more important many times. In order to choose the right lighting for the aquarium, most often use fluorescent lamps in combination with actinic and metal halide lamps.
But first things first.
The lighting in the aquarium has its own nuances. How much light is needed in a marine aquarium? This is influenced by many factors.
The main ones are # 8212 reservoir volume, as well as its height. How are the dimensions of the reservoir and the power of the lamps?
Metal halide luminaire with integrated blue lamps
Many sources point out that the best option is to use fluorescent lights. They shine well, quite economical.
They are connected via an electronic ballast, as well as a special device – a choke.
Nowadays, most lovers prefer special fluorescent lamps in combination with metal halides. At the same time they are placed on the front wall of the reservoir.
In addition, special fluorescent aquarium lamps of different power with warm or daylight white light are also used. Installation is carried out complete with special reflectors.
With properly tuned lighting, the fish will demonstrate the diversity of all their color, while corals will develop excellently.
Fluorescent lamps are economical, provide excellent lighting, last long enough. As a disadvantage, it can be noted that they need to be connected using a special device # 8212 of electronic ballast or choke.
REAR BACKGROUND FOR AQUARIUM PHOTO VIDEO DETAILED DESCRIPTION.
Many people today are keen on breeding marine fish. Preparing a biological environment for them is more difficult, especially with the use of living corals that are quite demanding on water parameters.
But experienced naturalists are quite able to create such an aquarium design with their own hands. 200 liters is the optimal average volume for enjoying the contemplation of the underwater sea.
It should not be overpopulated with living beings, since a limited life support system operates in such a reservoir.
Design a marine aquarium is necessary taking into account its type, which not least depends on the inhabitants. These can be predators (sharks, rays, moray eels), non-predatory fish (zebrasomes, angelfish and other species) or corals and invertebrate sea anemones.
Predatory fish are considered the most unpretentious; invertebrates are more difficult to care for and may die from minor deviations in chemical indicators of water.
For the livelihood of such aquariums is to purchase expensive equipment. It will need to be decoded, it is worth considering when developing the design of the aquarium with your own hands.
The photo shows how you can successfully hide all the wires, hoses and tubes, making out the background with picturesque coral reefs, rocks and shelters for fish in the form of mysterious grottoes and caves.
A beautiful background for the design of the back wall of the aquarium is easily created with the help of special films on which images of the underwater world are applied. They can have just a rich blue color, creating the effect of depth and contrast.
But it is much more interesting to include the background, the size and volume of the tank, the decorations used and incorporate everything into your own designed aquarium: 250 liters; by the way.
It is worth noting that the background of the aquarium often gives the whole composition (especially volumetric) a unique charm and naturalness of the aquatic environment. It is easy to create it with your own hands, using, for example, polystyrene foam broken by different pieces, which is glued to the back wall of the aquarium and painted with special paint with intermittent strokes. It turns out an excellent imitation of stone background.
It can be made in a similar way, using pieces of bark from kryag.
The composition can be created from dead coral, stones from the sea reef. Small invertebrates, polyps and other inhabitants will find shelter in the marine aquarium.
The design of the aquarium, designed and executed by hand, allows for a considerable number of excellent ideas for plot aquariums using exotic plants, shells and sea stones. An incredible number of them can be realized by creating their own “rock gardens”.
And then with pleasure to watch the flickering on their background of bright fish with an unusual color.
The main thing – do not overdo it with decorative elements, plants and inhabitants of the aquarium. Everything should be harmoniously combined, to give pleasure to its creator and not to harm the fish.
Thanks to the unusual beauty, modern aquariums can become a real gem of any interior. The variety of styles and forms is simply amazing.
Aquariums can be suspended, floor, built-in. Aquariums-dioramas create a stunning effect in the room, their form seems to contribute to immersion in the exciting water world. The handwritten version improves well-being and improves mood.
Today, even a dry aquarium is not uncommon. The design, realized with your own hands, allows you to give yourself an unusual creative concept of the sea landscape.
Many solutions can be created due to the incredible flight of creativity. It is definitely simple and incredibly interesting!
Today it is easy to embody the design decisions of the internal and external design of turnkey aquariums. Modern studios offer the most unusual variations in the artistic design of hidden depths.
However, if you wish, you can create your own design project, making a truly unique aquarium. The design, realized with your own hands, will allow to realize any idea, making the created underwater world a basic element of the interior of the room.
The scenery for the subject environment of the underwater world serves as a safe decoration for the aquarium. But the main component of the internal design is its thriving biosystem.
According to their purpose, aquariums are divided into decorative and special (spawning, selection, nursery, quarantine and others). The most popular of them are species and biotope.
Species aquarium will not only decorate the interior of the house, but also give a unique opportunity to observe a certain type of fish or their closely related species. Its inhabitants have a significant impact on the design of the aquarium.
It’s not difficult at all to do it yourself, but before embodying the idea, you should seriously familiarize yourself with the habits of selected fish in their natural habitat.
Biotope aquariums reproduce the imitation of a natural biotope with a characteristic type of fish, plants, and certain parameters of their habitat.
For novice naturalists, the best option for decorating an aquarium will be the collector style. This is an ideal option that allows you to “get a hand”. Everything is allowed here.
You can mix plants, use their artificial imitations, choose any aquarium. Design, embodied in your own hands, allows you to create interesting compositions from plants of different textures and decorative elements. It is possible to experiment with different storylines.
The choice of plants should depend on the subject. For a start, the preference is recommended to give unpretentious and hardy plants.
Without a lid that covers the aquarium, a long and happy life of ornamental fish will be impossible: the lack of light and heat, dust and debris will lead to their illness and even death. To pick up and buy these devices in specialized stores is not such a big problem.
In addition, some aquariums already include covers that are part of the overall design. Why do many aquarists make them yourself?
The fact is that at home it can be done, as they say, to your taste and a certain size.
How to make a cover of polyvinyl chloride (PVC)?
When working with laminate it is necessary to take into account the properties of this material:
- so that when it gets wet it does not swell up, the places of the cuts are treated with a sealant;
- in order to prevent heating of the operating lamp from the inside of the lid to the area of the laminate using a silicone adhesive, attach a PCB plate;
- the role of the reflector is well played by aluminum foil glued across the entire inner surface;
- the lamp can be mounted on the cartridge with metal clips.
The finished structure is usually decorated with a self-adhesive film under a tree or under a stone, or with some other pattern – as far as the imagination of the home craftsman allows.
Similarly, you can make a cover of other materials: plexiglass, plywood or plain glass.
However, you need to understand that this important part of the aquarium should not be too heavy, as the glass walls and so are under pressure from water pressure. In addition, on their own at home, only rectangular or square caps are available for making their own hands. To make it for a round aquarium, you need special tools for bending materials.
It is easier to purchase such a cover along with the aquarium in the store.
Video: how to make a cover for a PVC aquarium: