maintenance, care, compatibility
The name “florarium” says that these are plants that live in the “aquarium” – a glass vessel. A similar type of home gardening appeared about two centuries ago.
In those days, wealthy people considered the presence of a mini-greenhouse with exotic plants in the house to be a sign of luxury.
Nowadays, mini-florarium is a great alternative to the colors that usually decorate sills. Yes, and take care of them easier.
By the way, in America in specialized flower shops florariums are expensive, and if you order a composition from a master, you will have to pay about $ 500! But to give such a sum for the florarium, which can be done with your own hands in half an hour, having everything you need at hand, it is irrational.
We offer you a simple master class in which we will describe all the nuances of creating a florarium with your own hands.
- the soil;
- gravel (pebbles);
- decorative elements (twigs, moss, figurines).
- The first thing to do is determine which plants will be used for the florarium, and how to place them correctly. This is necessary in order not to disturb the flowers with transplants in the future. Up to five types of plants can be planted in a large container, harmoniously combined with texture and color. Just keep in mind that they must have the same content requirements. Orchids, arrowroot, cyclamen, alokazii, ferns and ayry look good in one vessel.
- Choose the shape and size of the vessel yourself, based on preferences and fantasy. Glass vessels can be with or without a lid. Be sure to wash the container for florarium and wipe dry.
- Flowers for florarium can be planted only in disinfected soil, therefore, the substrate and the soil should be treated with high temperature. Hold the pebbles and soil in the oven so that the mold and mildew do not have a chance. Then you can start creating a soil layer. We use pebbles (gravel) as drainage. Layer 2-4 centimeters will be enough. Next, a mixture of moistened soil and charcoal is laid out on the drainage. The layer must be twice as thick as the drainage.
- It’s time to start planting flowers. Using garden shovels or ordinary tablespoons, we make indentations, place plants and sprinkle them with earth. The soil on top can be decorated with various decorative elements. Moss looks interesting very well in closed and open vessels, interestingly curved branches, colored pebbles. If you wish, sit in the tank figurines of dwarfs, small decorative figurines or houses. They will give the flower arrangement a complete look.
Using this technology, you can create an entire desktop composition of cacti and succulents in half an hour.
Simple and beautiful, right?
If everything is clear with how to make a florarium with your own hands, you can experiment with the types of placement. Such mini-greenhouses can be located not only on window sills, tables or shelves. You can make a hanging florarium by placing the vessel in a wicker basket and flowerpots.
Original wall florariums that will become an excellent apartment decor look. In addition, your exotic mini-garden can grow both in an open and in a closed vessel.
Do not forget that the plants in the mini-greenhouse need care! In addition to regular watering and fertilizing, it is necessary from time to time to turn the vessel with the plants to the light, so that they develop evenly.
If the container is far away from natural light, arrange an artificial one by placing a lamp over the florarium.