maintenance, care, compatibility
What is siphon? In simple terms – this is an ordinary pump. The word siphon can also denote a vacuum phenomenon at the end of a pipe.
Actually, both of these concepts quite fully disclose the meaning of the siphon as a tool for pumping out liquid.
And in our case, the liquid (water) is pumped out along with dirt and waste. It follows from the above that the main part of this device is a suction tube.
The basic principle of operation of any aquarium siphon is quite simple:
- one end of the hose or tube falls close to the aquarium soil,
- and the other should be as low as possible from the bottom on the outside of the can above any net capacity.
It remains only to create a vacuum in the tube, but it is not difficult. Any experienced motorist at least once in his practice pumped out gasoline from the gas tank of a car with an ordinary rubber hose, creating a vacuum in it when air was sucked in by the mouth.
Similarly, you can do when you start aquarium vacuum cleaner.
Water with debris flows into the tube by gravity and is discharged into the prepared container. It remains only to let the dirty water settle, drain the purified water back into the aquarium, and remove the dirt.
There is nothing difficult, and all other improvements and auxiliary devices of professional siphons for cleaning the soil can be attributed to the results of scientific and technological progress.
Manufacturers of aquarium equipment offer a wide selection of siphons for cleaning various types of soil – expensive and cheap; mechanical, electric, battery-powered and powered by a household network; low, medium and high power; with valves and sumps, etc. Sometimes it is difficult to immediately understand which device to buy.
The most important thing is not to rush and thoughtfully determine exactly the brand that is suitable for each specific case.
EHEIM. If the aquarist is a fan of high-tech technical systems, he will certainly pay attention to the products of the famous German company EHEIM.
The electric siphon EHEIM (with batteries), with a weight of only 630 g, effectively cleans the soil without draining the aquarium water; it immediately returns the purified water to the aquarium.
The edges of the suction tube have a serrated perforated shape, which allows saving the roots of aquatic plants. Designed such a device for aquariums with a capacity of up to 200 liters with a wall height of up to 0.5 meters.
Disadvantages: high price and fast discharge of batteries. By the way, if you install a special adapter instead of batteries, the power comes from a household electrical outlet, and the second drawback disappears.
Hagen – German company, which is traditionally among the leaders in the production of siphons. The line of cleaning devices of this company is very large, and prices can satisfy almost any buyer.
Thus, the Hagen Marina Aqua Vac electrical device is not only capable of effectively and gently cleaning the bottom substrate, but is also an excellent aid in carrying out water changes due to the 7-meter inlet hose that is included in the package. True, the cost of such a device is quite high, about 6 thousand rubles.
For those who want to save on the siphon, this company offers a compact device, the launch of which is carried out with the help of an ordinary rubber pear. In this case, a separate tank installed below the level of the aquarium is needed to collect the draining water.
The price of such a siphon is only within 600 rubles.
Tetra. They also found their buyers and devices from the well-known company TETRA, which provided aquarists with siphons of various capacities.
For example, the TETRA GC50 model is capable of clearing the ground well even in a 400-liter aquarium, while the GC30 model is very convenient for small-sized cans – up to 60 liters. Naturally, the cost of such cleaners is different, but in general TETRA siphons are a budget option with a sufficiently high German quality.
AQUAEL. Experts also recommend products from the Polish company AQUAEL.
Light, reliable and effective soil cleaners of this brand have long been serious rivals of German siphons. One of the main advantages of the Poles is a lower price.
However, if there is no desire to be engaged in the choice of this or that firm technical device, then the simplest cleaner of an aquarium can be easily made independently at home.
Electrosiphon works on batteries, and when it is used, water does not drain. Also in the electric siphon there is no hose, which undoubtedly facilitates use.
Typically, such a device consists of a plastic transparent glass, the intensity of the flow can be adjusted. The water is immediately cleaned and returned to the aquarium, while the mud settles in the trap compartment.
But there is a main drawback for the electric phone – they can clean aquariums no deeper than half a meter. Otherwise, the water will be on batteries, and the device will fail.
Each aquarium needs periodic cleaning with water replacement, because without this procedure, all aquarium inhabitants may simply die. But pouring and pouring water into an aquarium with a ladle is long and inconvenient, so aquarists use a simpler way to drain water using a device like an aquarium siphon.
Its use allows not only to quickly drain the water, but also to do it without catching the fish.
siphon for aquarium
Novice aquarists, faced with the need to purchase a siphon, think that this is a very simple device that does not require instructions. But after the purchase, many have questions about the operation, which proves the need for knowledge of working with the siphon.
Based on this, it is necessary to understand the device of this device and methods of its use.
The aquarium siphon is a simple construction consisting of a straight or corrugated flexible tube and a funnel, which is sealed to one of the ends of the tube. Using the device can be done in two ways, but the first one requires quickness:
- So, the first way to “launch” the siphon is most familiar to drivers who drain gas from a tank with a drain hose. So do the siphon by inserting a funnel attached to the hose into the ground, and lowering the free side of the hose into a bucket or other container to collect dirty water. After that, the air in the tube is sucked by a person so that water can fill the vacant space. But just before the start of the water, it is necessary to sharply release the opening of the tube so that the liquid can flow freely into the bucket. If you do not show quickness, then you can sip polluted aquarium water.
- And some aquarists who know how to siphon the ground safely go a longer way. In this case, they siphon completely immersed in the aquarium, so that its entire cavity is filled with water. And then carefully, without removing the side of the hose with a funnel, lift the other side of the hose, tightly holding the hole with your finger. This is done so that the water does not flow back into the aquarium when the outlet is located above the water level in the glass container. After the clamped side of the hose is lowered into the bucket and open the hole so that the water began to drain. Knowing how the professionals in the aquarium siphon up the soil, beginners will be able to quickly overcome this not a tricky business, but how they choose to implement it at their own discretion.
Theoretically, knowing how to clean an aquarium with a siphon, the beginner lover of the water kingdom in practice faces problems that would not arise if he knew some of the nuances of this procedure:
- in the process of cleaning the aquarium soil it is necessary to ensure that the end of the hose without a funnel, lowered to drain into a bucket, must be below the water level in the aquarium, and the funnel itself should not even be partially removed from the water;
- water pressure will depend on how low the “drain” side of the hose is relative to the water level in the aquarium;
- the funnel attached to the hose must be inserted into the soil throughout its depth for better cleaning of the soil layer;
- the siphon for cleaning the aquarium should not be chosen anyhow, but in accordance with the capacity of the water world, since a large siphon is not suitable for a small aquarium and a small model will tire the aquarist by long draining large amounts of water;
- In addition, a small siphon in a large aquarium will not be able to lift the ground in the funnel to clean it, and a large device from a small tank may suck fry and small fish due to the powerful outflow of water.