maintenance, care, compatibility
LED lights for aquarium do it yourself
Modern aquarium lighting from LEDs – economical, does not heat the water and makes it possible to create beautiful color effects. LED backlight from the finished tape for the aquarium is easy to assemble with your own hands, without having special knowledge of physics.
It is waterproof, diodes exist in different colors that are easy to combine. There are single ribbons with white color or color – RGB, which can be switched to different shades.
Consider how to do your own hands beautiful LED lighting aquarium.
To make the lights of the aquarium out of the LED strip with your own hands, you will need to make a frame or use the finished cover of the aquarium. Additionally, you need to purchase:
- LEDs 12 W – two tapes white and one color;
- two strips of glass 7 cm each; two 2 cm each and two small pieces;
- foil tape;
- silicone glue;
- controller and power supply.
- Glass box glued without one wide part.
- Inside the wire is inserted and sealed.
- Scotch tape is glued to the inside of the lamp.
- Glued strip of LED tape.
- You need to solder the tape to the wire.
- A glass lid is glued on top.
- Colored tape can be glued with double-sided tape and glue on the finished cover of the aquarium.
- With the help of the controller, power supply and remote you can change the color of the lighting.
As a rule, it is easier to make the LED illumination of the aquarium itself, than from other types of lamps, and it is cheaper. Now the fish will enjoy artificial lighting, and the plants will actively develop inside the aquarium.
DIY Aquarium Lighting – video description
The first way is to make your own illumination of the aquarium with LEDs – the simplest, where you can additionally equip a lighting cap with special fitolamps. For this purpose, a white LED strip is attached around the perimeter.
This will give the optimum spectrum and the most uniform illumination along the upper perimeter of the aquarium. A plastic-filled LED tape based on self-bonding is used, where the protective layer is removed and fastened around the perimeter of the box.
This light is widely used for decorative purposes, but it cannot be an independent source of aquarium lighting. Insulation at the junction of the tape and cord is made of special transparent silicone used for aquariums.
It will reliably protect the power cord from water. The output wires are marked in red, this is a plus, and the minus is a black or blue wire.
If the polarity is not observed, the LEDs will not work.
The second way is to collect a full-fledged LED lighting aquarium sufficient power without generators and sophisticated equipment. At 200-300 liters, a power of 120 watts is sufficient for an aquarium richly planted with plants. This adds a total of 40 dot LEDs for 270 lumens, 3 watts each.
As a result, 10,800 lumens of light will come out, which will give a very bright light for a given volume. It is important to monitor the balance of the entire ecosystem, and with an excess of light and the development of green microorganisms, it is necessary to reduce the overall intensity.
The cost of such a design can vary greatly, since in Chinese online stores, for example, even more reputable companies can find LEDs and power supplies of the same quality. At the same time prices may vary at times.
For self-installation of the backlight will need:
- LED lamp kit
- 2-2,5 meters of a plastic trench 100 mm wide,
- 12 volt power supply, can be from a computer,
- soft wire 1.5 mm,
- preferably 6 computer coolers at 12 volts,
- 40 connector slots for LEDs
- 48 mm hole cutter.
The length of the aquarium will cut 2 pieces of the gutter, in the bottom of which we drill holes, about 20 pieces per meter, placing them in a checkerboard pattern. LED lamps are inserted into the holes and fasten.
All lamps must be connected to the power supply in parallel to the 12 volt power supply. For proper connection, it is better to contact an electrician, since the connection scheme may seem difficult for people who are not experts in the field of connecting lamps to the connectors.
Computer coolers or fans should be installed when large vapors or lids are heated for lighting.
For decorative purposes, sometimes they make additional night lights, such as moonlight. To do this, connect a little blue LED strip, which can be installed behind the rear wall, but so that it was below the bottom of the aquarium.
The electric timer can turn it on when the daylight turns off.
Advantages and disadvantages of various aquarium lighting options
Lighting aquarium DIY led tape.
Lighting an aquarium with LED tape is one of the most energy-saving and, importantly, safe ways to light an aquarium. Of all types of LED lighting for the aquarium, the best is the lighting of the aquarium with LED tape.
The advantages of such lighting:
- LED tape is energy efficient, aquarium lighting with LED tape is the most economical type of lighting.
- Such aquarium lighting is safe. The voltage of the power supply unit supplying the LED strip for the aquarium is 12 Volt, such voltage is safe not only for people but also for the flora and fauna of your aquarium.
- Adjusting the luminous flux. You can always add or remove the brightness of the lighting, so you can adjust any ice lighting for the aquarium.
- Can be used as additional lighting. An aquarium with plants often requires additional lighting of the aquarium. From the LED strip you get an excellent LED lighting aquarium with plants with your own hands, as the main and additional.
- Diode lighting aquarium in various colors. Although it is recommended to use white LED strips for lighting an aquarium, this does not negate the fact that there are different colors and types of LED strips in nature.
- Simplified installation. It is very easy to mount the LED tape on the aquarium due to the adhesive tape base.
- An opportunity to mount a LED tape as lighting of an aquarium under water, at the expense of tightness and a class of protection IP65.
To make lighting aquarium LED tape with your own hands, but you will need a power supply of 12 Volts, 5 meters of LED tape (1 reel) power consumption of the tape 9.5 Watts per meter.
Total about $ 50 cost our lighting for the aquarium, the price of one reel of tape, protection class IP65, is $ 25, power supply – $ 20. Our aquarium took 2.2 meters of light tape.
We isolated the place of cutting and connecting the LED strip to the power supply unit using a transparent sealant, and glued it to the aquarium lid so that there was no contact with water and the filtration system. As a result, we have an enviable aquarium with filter and lighting.
The rest of the tape stock we used to highlight the computer system unit
STONES FOR THE AQUARIUM TYPES DESCRIPTION PHOTO REGISTRATION DESIGN VIDEO.
ROUND AQUARIUM – DESIGNING CARE DESIGN PHOTO VIDEO.
Aquarium lighting with LEDs is a relatively new offer. LEDs have important characteristics that today make them leaders among lighting fixtures.
The use of such lamps has a large number of advantages.
- They are very easy to install, due to the fact that the cartridges fit almost all types of socles.
- LED lamps are not afraid of water, therefore, the likelihood of a short circuit is excluded. However, even in conditions of high humidity, these lighting devices function without interruption.
- LED lamps designed to illuminate the aquarium, fireproof.
- Such lamps do not generate heat during operation, which makes it possible to keep the overall temperature of the aquarium comfortable, even if the lamps work throughout the day.
- Depending on the length of the day, the presence of natural light, you can change the brightness of the aquarium lighting. In addition, it is possible to make a night lighting of the aquarium and observe the life of the fish, admiring amazing underwater pictures.
Important! The average time of one lamp is five years. Consequently, all this time there will be no need to make replacement parts and do not have to disturb the inhabitants of the aquarium.
In addition, it should be said about energy saving (about 70%). For these reasons, most aquarium owners prefer to light them with LED lamps.
The same qualities have special LED strip.
Safety and durability
Since the LED lamps do not emit ultraviolet and infrared radiation, they are completely safe for absolutely all the inhabitants of the aquarium. On the contrary, the lighting of the aquarium with LEDs on the coloring and health of the fish is beneficial. In addition, due to the spectral composition of the rays, they contribute to the development of aquarium plants.
To the aquarium was lit as best as possible, you can combine different types of LED lamps. They can be installed in any conditions and in any premises.