maintenance, care, compatibility
Without a lid that covers the aquarium, a long and happy life of ornamental fish will be impossible: the lack of light and heat, dust and debris will lead to their illness and even death. To pick up and buy these devices in specialized stores is not such a big problem.
In addition, some aquariums already include covers that are part of the overall design. Why do many aquarists make them yourself?
The fact is that at home it can be done, as they say, to your taste and a certain size.
How to make a cover of polyvinyl chloride (PVC)?
When working with laminate it is necessary to take into account the properties of this material:
- so that when it gets wet it does not swell up, the places of the cuts are treated with a sealant;
- in order to prevent heating of the operating lamp from the inside of the lid to the area of the laminate using a silicone adhesive, attach a PCB plate;
- the role of the reflector is well played by aluminum foil glued across the entire inner surface;
- the lamp can be mounted on the cartridge with metal clips.
The finished structure is usually decorated with a self-adhesive film under a tree or under a stone, or with some other pattern – as far as the imagination of the home craftsman allows.
Similarly, you can make a cover of other materials: plexiglass, plywood or plain glass.
However, you need to understand that this important part of the aquarium should not be too heavy, as the glass walls and so are under pressure from water pressure. In addition, on their own at home, only rectangular or square caps are available for making their own hands.
To make it for a round aquarium, you need special tools for bending materials. It is easier to purchase such a cover along with the aquarium in the store.
Video: how to make a cover for a PVC aquarium:
Getting to the equipment of the aquarium, you can not underestimate the importance of such an element as the cover. Special ready-made design can be purchased at the pet store, and even make an order for a model that corresponds to the size of the container.
But the cover for the aquarium with his own hands, made of safe materials, will serve no less good service.
Aquarium covers perform a number of functions, thanks to which it is possible to keep the aquarium in perfect condition. They allow:
- Reduce the rate and volume of evaporation of water. Without a lid, the volume of water will fluctuate greatly, and the concentration of substances in the aquarium will become unstable. As a result, this will lead to poor state of health of the inhabitants and plants.
- Protect the container from dust, dirt or any foreign objects that may be dangerous to the inhabitants of the aquarium. Sources of pollution are already enough: food remains, fish waste, dead plant particles.
- Use them as a practical element of the overall design of the aquarium. Lamps, which are necessary for the life of both plants and fish, are attached to the lid first. Sometimes other devices are fixed on it, for example, an aerator or a filter.
- Prevent fish from jumping out of the tank. Alas, many species of aquarium fish have an unpleasant tendency to high jump, resulting in the death of fish.
- Maintain optimum temperature in the tank.
Obviously, if you intend to arrange for your pets the most convenient and pleasant conditions in the aquarium, you will have to take care of the lid.
Before you learn how to make a cover for the aquarium, you should understand the designs that are sold in pet stores. Standard aquariums, which are on the shelves, often equipped with a finished cover.
They all differ in price and quality characteristics.
- Price segment. The cost of factory design varies widely. It will depend on the manufacturer, on additional elements, on the illumination equipment, on the material. In other words, any aquarist can afford a ready-made cover just by carefully studying the options.
- Dimensions. Of course, not always the lids sold in the store correspond exactly to the size of the aquarium. In this case, the best option is to purchase an aquarium with a lid. But no one has canceled the opportunity to make a cover to order. True, it will cost more.
- Color solution. Most often, the covers on the shelves are made of plastic. Usually they are made in restrained colors – gray, black, light brown. There are also transparent models. If you do not like the colors, it is easy to fix, using self-adhesive film.
- Quality. Properly selected cover will last a really long time. Largely because the finished designs are always made from a single piece of material. No seams, and therefore no leaks. The backlight built into the design, in most cases, changes in the event of a breakdown.
- Backlight. The number of bulbs in the aquarium cover is usually one or two. For some aquariums, lighting is selected in four lamps. Installing additional lighting, of course, is possible, but sometimes it can greatly spoil the appearance of the cover.
Covers of laminated chipboard or laminate rarely prefer to use for aquariums.
Its main advantage is ease of assembly. True, provided that the pieces are already fitted to the size of the aquarium.
Assembling a ready-made “designer”, pasted over the cover with edging tape, is not difficult.
The disadvantages of such a cover more than the plastic. The most important of them is weight.
The material itself is quite heavy, and if the volumes of the aquarium are large (say, 150-200 liters), you can imagine how weighty the lid will be. After all, you regularly have to remove it and put it back during cleaning and cleaning the aquarium.
In the worst case, you can not hold the design and damage the container.
In the manufacture of such a cover using metal fittings. Obviously, the risk of rust is very high.
To design served for a long time, the metal elements will have to change and lubricate, and it is also unnecessary trouble.
The important point is the quality of the material. If you choose a low-grade one, the cap will last very, very briefly. Even if you install excellent ventilation.
And on the aesthetic side: changing the color of the cover is no longer possible. Of course, you can try to glue the laminate with a film, but such an experiment clearly does not improve the appearance of the aquarium.
Not the best option to cover the aquarium. Plywood is very quickly exposed to moisture.
From which it follows that as a result the lid of plywood will crack and become unusable. So is it worth the effort and time to make it?
Of what material to design the cover for your home water kingdom, you decide. Whether it is PVC, plexiglass sheets or several wall panels, it is worthwhile to start making an aquarium cover only when you are firmly confident in your abilities and capabilities.
The manufacture of this design requires not only accuracy and diligence, but also the presence of certain skills. Ignorance of the rules for working with materials and, as a result, improperly assembled cover can cause significant harm to the inhabitants of the aquarium.
The desire to save can result in a source of greater costs. Therefore, if there are doubts or fears that the appearance of the product will spoil the interior and harm the pets, it is better to go to the pet store and purchase a ready-made cover.