The aquarium cover has two main functions: practical and decorative.
In practical terms, it performs the following tasks:
- protection of the aquatic environment from falling into it of debris, dust, foreign objects;
- interferes with evaporation of water and increase in humidity of air;
- is a structural element to which aquarium fixtures are attached;
- does not allow jumping of fish;
- maintains the required temperature conditions inside the aquarium.
- Aquarists buy tanks of different sizes for fish. But on the original capacity of an unusual form, no standard model will fit.
- The standard is equipped with only two electric lamps. This is not always enough for a full tank lighting. From the lack of light fish feel uncomfortable.
- Factory models mainly consist of several parts. Each time you change water or clean the tank, you will have to disassemble it, which is not very convenient.
- Above the water level the lid is very low. Then the lamps begin to heat it — five or more degrees. And also because of the low location of the structure, condensate begins to stand out.
- Standard models have too narrow compartments for tubes and wires. Therefore, it is difficult to install a mechanism to take water for purification.
- Factory models are not equipped with ventilation systems. And so that the fish did not suffer due to lack of oxygen, you will have to periodically open the aquarium.
For these reasons, we can conclude: it is better to make the roof for the house of the wards independently.
First of all it is necessary, of course, to figure out what the aquarium covers will look like. Better to make a backlit cover.
Now you need to draw yourself a layout cover for aquariums. The material must be chosen such that it is resistant to water and does not get wet.
This may be PVC, left at home after the repair of laminate boards, simple plastic or panels that sheathe the walls.
Cover drawing example
It is also necessary to prepare:
- Glue that is suitable for plastic.
- Rubber gloves.
- Plastic or aluminum corners (it really depends on the material from which you will make covers for aquariums).
- Paint or self-adhesive paper.
- Screws, bolts, washers.
- Electric wire.
- The lamps.
- Furniture corners.
- Furniture gun.
Choosing the manufacture of covers for PVC aquariums need to know that this material is safe. It is also environmentally friendly and will last for a long time.
Resistant to both water and high temperature. Also look at the thickness of your chosen material. Well, here it is everyone’s business.
It depends on the size of the cover for aquariums. The color of the cover can be selected for the apartment interior. Glue is also not everyone can be suitable for your chosen material.
Then the so-called “liquid nails” can be used.
And just collected all the necessary materials, you can get to work.
After reviewing the possible materials for the manufacture of shelter avkarium, it is easy to see that the simplest and relatively inexpensive option would be PVC panel. Let’s look at the step-by-step process of creating a roof on a tank with its use.
The list of necessary tools and materials includes the following:
- PVC sheet, not less than 1 cm thick (can be bought at any hardware store);
- edging (thin plastic planochka);
- clerical knife or jigsaw for cutting lining;
- ruler, 1 m long;
- transparent glue;
- self-adhesive film (selected on the basis of personal preferences of the aquarist);
- adhesive tape (necessary for temporary fastening of panels in the process of work).
With all the necessary tools and materials, the process of creating an aquarium cover is a matter of technique. It can not be called too difficult, especially if you follow some basic steps:
- Measurement of the dimensions of the aquarium, taking into account the parameters of the side faces, towering above the aquarium (usually enough height of about 7 cm, the length of the front and rear faces cut along the length of the walls of the tank, and the side – with a margin to mount to the front and rear panels).
- Transferring all calculations to PVC sheets and cutting blanks using a clerical knife or an electric jigsaw.
Cut blanks jigsaw or clerical knife
Collecting the structure, starting with the connection of the frame parts (maybe wooden), and fastening of the supporting plank for fixing the lining sheets.
We assemble the design
Fixing sheets (for a rectangular aquarium, you may need only two, and one of them is removable, and the second is securely fixed with glue to the support planks).
Fasten the handle
Some nuances of creation may be individual, but in general this process looks exactly like this.
Video: how to make a cover for the aquarium do it yourself