maintenance, care, compatibility
Algae in the aquarium are a sign of an established biobalance. They appear on plants, stones, glass walls, and even on equipment. However, their rapid growth means that fundamental changes are taking place in the aquatic environment.
In an aquarium where there are a lot of plants, algae will not appear in large quantities. Good aeration and water filtration will stop their growth. Timely removal of food residue and dirt contributes to the purity of water.
If you notice that brown formations appear in the reservoir, it means that brown algae have settled in it. How to get rid of kelp and suspend their reproduction?
The origin of brown algae, symptoms of formation
Brown algae spread very quickly, the parasite cells from one plant quickly pass to the neighboring leaves. In addition, brown patina can be a substrate for another parasite – a black beard, which is derived even more difficult.
What to do in order to prevent the growth of algae in the aquarium and destroy them forever?
- The aquarium should be lighting 10-12 hours a day, no more. Do not place the tank in place of direct sunlight. Bacteria that are sources of algae multiply easily by light.
- The overpopulation of the nursery with fish is a source of nitrates that the plants do not have time to assimilate. If you have a lot of fish, the tank should be spacious.
- If there are such fish in the tank as mollies, Siamese algae, antsistrusy, loricaria, catfish ottsinklyusy, then they will help to fight with a brown touch, eating it. Also, algae love snail neretina.
- Do not overfeed fish, remove food debris from the bottom with a siphon or a net.
- Regularly replace your aquarium water with clean water once a week.
- If a nitrogenous cycle is not established in a recently launched aquarium, an algae outbreak is more likely. The process of forming a biological balance lasts 1-2 weeks, at this time do not settle there fish and do not make large water changes. If the water level of nitrates 50 mg per 1 liter, the water should be well filtered and replaced with a new one. Take measurements of water parameters constantly.
See how you can get rid of the brown algae in the aquarium with the help of Theodoxus snails.
If you notice that brown algae appeared in a newly launched aquarium, and they began to spread in large quantities, then the fight with them will be easy. Observe the correct mode of maintenance of the tank, and in 2-3 weeks the problem will be solved.
Carry out regular cleaning of the aquarium, change 20-30% of water once a week. When aquarium plants begin to grow, the algae will disappear due to the large amount of dissolved oxygen.
When an algae outbreak happened in an aquarium with “old” water, it is necessary to replace water already 2 times in 7 days, changing 30% of the volume of water. When replacing it is necessary to thoroughly clean the tank from excess food, waste products of fish.
Use a scraper to clean the glass of the aquarium, wipe the bottom, clean the decorations and plants with a toothbrush or a clean sponge.
Check the degree of contamination of the filter, if the filtration rate has decreased, then the filter is clogged. Clean the filter, but do not change its contents.
Reduce the length of daylight hours to 6 hours a day for several days, and the next 2 weeks bring it up to 10 hours gradually. If the lamps work for 1 year, it is better to replace them with new ones, but not all at once, but in turn.
Brown scurf appears in the tank in a week, and it takes almost a month to fight it.
There are chemicals that can affect diatoms. Some funds worsen the situation, delay the reproduction of beneficial microorganisms, from which the fish will suffer.
Drugs that can help with the removal of brown plaque, should be used according to the instructions. Be careful and cautious – some chemicals can harm not only parasites, but also plants with fish.
- Tetra Algetten – drug in the form of water-soluble tablets, used for the prevention and destruction of algae. It dissolves gradually over a month, the number of parasitic formations decreases gradually. After 4-7 days, the first changes will be noticeable. Dosage – 1 tablet per 10 liters of water.
- Sera Algovec – the tool destroys all types of algae in the aquarium. Dosage: 5 ml per 20 liters of water. After applying the drug, it is necessary to slice away all dead residues mechanically, there should be good aeration in the water.
Algae in an aquarium, how to get rid of and fight with all their species
An algal flash is a visual indication of a violation (absence) of a biobalance in an aquarium. This is the loss of any link in the balance!
If you notice brown mucus on the walls of the aquarium, it is time to sound the alarm – a harmful alga started up in your pond. It leaves its marks on the bottom and on the leaves of aquatic plants.
If we do not fight with the brown alga, it will very quickly clog the reservoir, worsening the habitat for fish.
Brown algae are microscopic living organisms that can exist both unicellularly and take the form of colonies. They refer to diatoms, which means “divided in half.”
Such is their structure: 2 halves of a single whole – epitek (upper) and hypotec (lower). All this is exposed in a single solid shell.
Through its porous walls and metabolism occurs brown algae.
Like any simplest, kelp reproduces by division. When you divide the daughter cell gets a piece of the mother shell.
And these halves of the shell are able to recreate themselves, putting on both the “mother” and the “daughter” in the new armor.
Since the shells are silica impregnated, they are not able to increase in size. Because of this, each next generation of diatoms smaller than their ancestors.
But they also manage to leave brown raids on any surface of the aquarium.
There are among these algae and individuals, which are collected in tubular colonies, having the form of brown bushes. They grow very quickly, sometimes reaching a height of 20 centimeters.
But to a greater degree they look like flat formations, which we perceive as a raid.
Brown algae prefer shaded corners of ponds with an abundance of organic matter. It just stimulates them to active development.
Filling the entire aquarium, this alga deprives other inhabitants of the right to a normal existence.
If the reservoir is new, then the appearance of brown blotches on the walls of the aquarium or the surface of the water in a couple of weeks is considered normal. The reason is still uninhabited habitat – a fairly high content of carbon and organic matter in the water.
Apparently, there are still a small number of fish and green vegetation in the pond, which would absorb all this abundance.
But if the “brown junta” began to seize the space of the old aquarium, then here one should think about where the regime was violated.
- Perhaps the aquarium is not sufficiently lit – the drillers love penumbra very much.
- Increased iodine content is also a cause of the occurrence of brown algae.
- Brown algae are also fed from silicates contained in the reservoir. The source can be substrates containing silicon, or sand at the bottom of the reservoir.
But whichever of the causes affecting the appearance of the brown alga is not, the fight against it must begin immediately, as soon as the first signs of the problem are noticed.
To the inhabitants of your home pond feel quite comfortable, get rid of the brown algae by all available means. Do not allow these “amoebas” to multiply in your aquarium.
- In a young aquarium, it will be enough to do mechanical work, removing all plaque from surfaces. To do this, you can purchase a special scraper or take a conventional blade.
- With leaves of aquatic plants, brown raids will have to be cleaned with just hands. In no case do not use foam or spongy material to remove algae. And do the cleaning carefully, so as not to damage the plants.
- Do not forget about accumulated dirt at the bottom of the reservoir – it is better to remove it with the help of hoses intended for this purpose.
- Remove pebbles, shells and pebbles from the aquarium (when changing water) and rinse them well. Do the same with decorative elements (artificial locks, decorative snags, etc.).
- It should also be rinsed under running water and filter, as well as compressor hoses.
- Get “biological weapons” in the aquarium – fish that feed on brown algae: girinoheylus, catfish antsistrus, Siamese algae, etc. Mollusks (neurite olive snail, horned snail) are also good cleaners.
But various chemicals to combat the brown “evil spirits” should not be used – harm other inhabitants of the reservoir. But you can use some antibiotics (for example, penicillin).
And be sure to put the aquarium as close as possible to the light.
In order to no longer have to deal with such a scourge as brown algae, follow the elementary rules for the care of domestic water bodies.
- First of all, ensure sufficient illumination of every corner in the aquarium. If daylight is too short, use additional lighting. It is better to use lamps that give red spectral light.
- Always keep the temperature in the pond at the optimum level (+ 22-280С) – kelp like exactly the opposite, cooler.
- Regularly change the water in the aquarium, follow its technical indicators (pH, iodine, nitrates, phosphates, silicates). Never use water immediately from the tap – you need only purified.
- Install in the pond filter, capable of absorbing silicates
- Plant aquarium with a large number of aquatic plants – they will “take away” some of the food from the brown algae, thereby slowing down its growth.
- Experienced aquarists recommend putting zinc and copper products on the bottom of a pond. These metals are able to destroy the brown alga.
Each time, conducting a replacement of water or cleaning the aquarium from the brown alga, provide residents of the reservoir with twenty-four-hour lighting for several days.
How to get rid of kelp:
How to get rid of the brown algae in the aquarium :: brown algae in the aquarium how to fight :: Aquarium fish
Tip 1: How to get rid of the brown algae in the aquarium
Sometimes walls, plants, soil and other accessories in the aquarium are covered with brown bloom. This is not only extremely aesthetic, but also dangerous for aquarium inhabitants.
If a similar situation has arisen, then measures must be taken urgently. The enemy of the aquarium is brown algae.
These are multicellular organisms that appear in the wrong light and an excess of organic matter.
The question “opened a pet store. Business is not going. What to do? “- 2 answers
- Lighting aquarium, cultured algae, special chemicals against brown algae, a few catfish-tototsklyusov.
1. To combat brown algae, you first need to know the reasons for their appearance. Poor lighting, high nitrate levels in the water, high pH levels, too low carbon dioxide levels can all lead to the appearance of brown algae.
2. Oddly enough, higher plants, that is, cultivated algae, specially planted in an aquarium, can become helpers in the fight against brown algae. They will absorb all the nutrients dissolved in water and brown algae will not get anything.
3. To combat the aquarium enemy, it is necessary to use fast-growing plants effectively, you need to plant the entire area of the aquarium rather thickly. It is necessary to create the right lighting for better plant growth, the light day should be about ten hours.
4. It is necessary to reduce the content of organic matter in the aquarium. To do this, it is important to regularly replace part of the volume of water and reduce the amount of feed.
Pets should eat all the food in about two minutes, the rest – the surplus.
5. It is extremely useful to settle a few catfish into an aquarium. They love to eat brown algae, and they are happy to help get rid of them.
Five sotomy-otsinklyusov able to maintain order in an aquarium of one hundred liters.
6. An emergency measure in the fight against brown algae may be the use of special chemicals. However, it is worth remembering that their effectiveness is temporary. Such chemicals are sold at the pet store.
A consultant can help you find the best option. There are also special conditioners for water, they accelerate the growth of cultivated aquarium plants and improve their appearance.
The aquarium is a closed biosystem in which not only fish and plants are present, but also hundreds of species of bacteria and unicellular organisms. This list also has microscopic algae. They multiply under certain conditions and in large quantities.
The fact is that they greatly spoil the appearance of the aquarium and change the habitat in it.
1. Can often be observed on the glass aquarium green plaque seaweed. It is usually harmless if reproduction has not happened too much.
To remove it, simply clean the aquarium glass using a scraper. If you need to destroy the excess seaweed, it’s enough to let fish eat in the aquarium.
You can also temporarily dim the aquarium or make too bright artificial lighting.
2. If brown algae appears, this is a sign that there is not enough light. They usually appear in the winter when artificial lighting is not enough.
In the spring, they disappear by themselves. To combat such algae, you can use a scraper.
Cleaning is necessary a couple of times a week.
3. If an invasion has occurred in your tank seaweed, then it is a natural result of bad conditions. First you need to pay attention to the water.
Reproduction usually occurs in dirty old water, which contains a lot of organic matter, nitrogen, phosphorus compounds, vitamins and trace elements. Rapid growth seaweed may interfere with gas exchange reservoir.
Water will also bloom. As a result, many plants may die.
4. To fight them, first you need to optimize the habitat, remove the affected plants, install filters that have biological fillers. Be sure to provide round the clock aeration in the aquarium. In extreme cases, you can use special chemicals.
They are sold in almost every pet store.
5. If there is an excessive reproduction of brown seaweed, then a characteristic mucous deposit on the surface of leaves and stones will be formed. There are cases when these algae completely tighten the bottom of the aquarium.
For the fight, you can use the antibiotic erythromecin.
Somik-ototsinklyus – is a real “janitor” for the aquarium.
It is easier to deal with brown algae, if you find out the reasons for their appearance.
For example, algae of the genus Aufwuchs (from German – growing on something), grow on solid substrates, such as rocks, in both fresh and salt water. Algae, especially green and diatoms, are the main habitat for small crustaceans, rotifers, and the simplest forms of life. A lot of aquarium dwellers intensively feed on surfaces overgrown with algae.
Lake Malawi cichlids are widely known as fish adapted for feeding on algae. Examples of the type, Labeotropheus trewavasae and Pseudotropheus zebra, are very characteristic.
They have hard teeth that allow you to tear off algae from rocks. Mollies seek algae glades and pluck them.
In the marine environment, algae are an important part of the nutrition of sea urchins, sea worms and chitons.
I stimulated fouling algae in my tsikhlidnik, to create a natural environment, and got the right amount of nitrica and diatoms. Thus, depending on the species of fish and habitat from the habitat, growing algae may even be desirable. Algae is an essential part of the diet of species such as mollies, African cichlids, some Australian fish, and soma, such as ancistrus or otocyclus.
Frequent water changes reduce the amount of nitrates in the water and reduce the growth of algae. In a well-balanced aquarium richly overgrown with plants, the balance of minerals is in balance, the surplus is consumed by plants and algae.
And since higher plants always consume more nutrients than algae, the growth of the latter is limited.
- An aquarium with a large number of aquarium plants, algae will still be there, but they will not grow rapidly.
- Good aeration of water – high oxygen content inhibits algae growth.
- Filtration and mixing of water to remove organic residues and nitrates
- Full coverage – no more than 12 hours a day, and with sufficient power.
- A moderate number of fish in the aquarium, with a large number they create nitrates, which do not have time to digest plants.
- Fish that feed on algae – molly, antsistrusy, loricaria, CAE (Siamese algae), ottsinklusy, hirinoheylus.
- Moderate feeding, rotting food residues – the main supplier of nitrates.
- Regular cleaning of the aquarium and replacement of the water.
The nitrogen cycle has not yet been established in newly launched aquariums, and the probability of an algal outburst is especially high in them.
By itself, the appearance of algae in the new aquarium – is normal. In the first 2-10 weeks since the launch of the new aquarium, you can see the rapid growth of brown algae.
This happens if the level of nitrates in water exceeds 50 mg per liter. Filtration and partial replacement of water solve this problem.
As soon as the plants take root and grow, they will take food away from the algae and the growth of the latter will slow down or stop. In a well-established aquarium, there is always a struggle for balance between plants and algae.
Fish that help fight algae in an aquarium:
- Brocade pterigoplicht
In addition, the plant snail neretina perfectly cleaned.
Located in most aquariums in the form of green dots or green film. These algae love a lot of light. Green algae grow only if the amount of light and nitrates exceeds the level that higher plants can absorb.
In densely planted aquariums, green algae develop extremely poorly, since higher plants consume nutrients and absorb the light necessary for the rapid growth of green algae. Without condemning the use of plastic plants in an aquarium, I note that living plants look better and create the conditions for the normal development of the entire biosystem.
However, they can massively develop in aquariums with CO2 systems, due to fluctuations in carbon dioxide levels during the day. An outbreak of green algae growth can occur suddenly, especially when the level of phosphates and nitrates in the water is elevated. Usually they look like green dots covering the surface of the glass and the bottom of the aquarium.
The recommended countermeasures are reducing the amount of light and the length of the day, and mechanical cleaning is done with special brushes or a blade.
Mollies and somas, for example, ancistrus, eat green algae very well, and I keep a few specially for this purpose. The snail neretina also copes well with xenococus and other algae.
Brown algae grows quickly if there is too little light in the aquarium. They look like brown bloom covering everything in the aquarium.
Usually plants loving light are in poor condition or disappear. Plants that tolerate blackout well, such as Javanese moss, pygmy anubias, and other types of anubias, can be covered with brown foil; tough anubias leaves can be rubbed to get rid of brown algae. Again, aquarium cleaners, antsistrusy or ottsinklyusy will help well.
But the simplest solution is to increase the intensity and duration of daylight. Usually brown algae quickly disappear, one has only to bring the lighting in order.
Brown algae are very often formed in young aquariums with an unsettled balance (younger
3 months), with the wrong spectrum of lamps and with too long daylight. An even greater increase in daylight hours can lead to even worse consequences.
Blue-green algae are colonies of bacteria, and by this they differ from other types of algae. They look like a green, slippery film covering soil and plants in an aquarium.
In the aquarium, they rarely appear, and, as a rule, in those who are poorly cared for. Like all bacteria, they secrete substances that adversely affect plants and fish in the aquarium, so they must be carefully controlled.
How to deal with blue-green algae in an aquarium?
As a rule, antibiotic bicillin or other types of antibiotics are used in the fight, but you need to work very carefully with it, you can irreversibly affect all inhabitants of the aquarium. It is better to try to bring a balance in the aquarium, carrying out a large replacement of water and cleaning.
Black scurf on plants can appear as a result of infection with the so-called “black beard”. This is a dark brown alga, which covers the leaf plates of plants, soil, glass and decorations. Thin threads of dark shade on plants does not look aesthetically pleasing.
Blackbeard can damage the plant, causing it to fade quickly.
The alga is rapidly spreading, and it is hard to fight it. Some chemical means and dimming of the light can give a partial result, but do not eliminate the root of the problem. For the destruction of the beard need to include comprehensive measures.
The first thing to do is regularly update the water, from 10 to 25% of the total volume of the aquarium. There should be no nitrates and phosphates in the water; make measurements with indicators before pouring into the aquarium.
The second procedure, which will help to eliminate black scurf in the aquarium, is to clean the soil from the remnants of food, to clean the dead leaves of plants. Next, you should increase the power of lighting up to 1 W per liter of water, turn on the light for 12 hours.
Additional help will be provided by some species of snails and fish that can clean the aquarium from algae and their livelihoods.
It is important to control the proportions of the feed: if you give the fish more food, then the non-eaten remains will dissolve, the level of ammonia in the water will increase. You can plant in the ground fast-growing plant species that absorb nutrients well. The first sign that the alga dies off – changing its color to faded.
Over time, the affected beard will disappear.
The universal remedy for aquarium black beard is on sale – it is JBL Algol. It in a few days will destroy fouling that formed on the surfaces.
To make the drug in the tank according to the instructions.
Dark bloom on plants and aquarium decorations may appear as a result of the development of brown diatoms. They settle on the walls of the reservoir, on the soil and leaves of plants.
Brown algae are harmful because they shade the leaves, as a result of which the nutrition of the plants is disturbed, they do not receive enough light and nutrients. Brown plaque is embedded in the structure of the plant, which is why it is not so easy to get rid of.
Often it is formed in the first months after the launch of a new aquarium, and after a few months it disappears by itself. There are a number of methods that help in the fight against dark patina.
Watch the video how to deal with brown algae.
- When there is insufficient light, brown algae rapidly multiply. If you pick up the lamp of the correct lighting power (0.5-1 W per liter of water), then they will disappear. Fluorescent and LED lamps can stop the growth of brown plaque. The recommended duration of daylight hours: from 8 to 10 hours, no more. It is better to use lamps with red spectral light.
- Take care of aquarium vegetation. If it is enough in the reservoir, then brown algae will not multiply so rapidly. Higher plants absorb all the organics, and parasitic formations simply do not leave feed. Mangrove plants and kaulepra perfectly cope with this task.
- Proper feeding of fish and clean water affect the growth of brown plaque. Since the brown algae feeds on organic matter, water must be passed through a filter and 10% should be replaced with fresh water during the week. A large amount of organic compounds appears as a result of over-feeding of pets who do not have time to eat portions. Reduce the amount of feed, and clean the soil with a siphon.
- The temperature of the water in the aquarium should be 22-28 ° C, because brown diatoms like cool.
The raid in the aquarium, on the walls and stones: green, brown, brown, white, mucus in the aquarium!
All types of aquarium plaque.
Green scurf in aquarium,
white bloom in the aquarium
mucus in the aquarium.
This article is devoted to such a problem of “aquarium hygiene,” as plaque on the walls of the aquarium. So:
First of all, Plaque on the aquarium walls or glass is not formed from the good life of the aquarium world – in other words, in your aquarium, something is wrong. And to eliminate any plaque on the walls of the aquarium, you first need to restore balance of aquarium environment.
This is achieved by proper and regular cleaning of the aquarium, as well as the use of necessary drugs in case of deviation from the norm. It should be noted that excessive care: cleaning and changing aquarium water can also lead to adverse consequences.
Accurate recommendations regarding this issue are difficult to give, because it all depends on: the volume of your aquarium, the types of fish, plants, the location of the aquarium, etc. In general, you should follow general recommendations – i.e. recommendations on weekly cleaning of the aquarium and cleaning equipment.
I would also recommend you to remember that old aquarium water is always better than fresh water – do not overdo it with cleaning and changing water. Remember the balance of plants and fish, never overload the aquarium, do not make him a hostel.
In your arsenal should always be the primary means of response: aquarium coal, methylene blue or malachite green.
Secondly, all types of raids – “clouding of the aquarium walls”, are caused by various factors or pests. Actually, therefore, all the attacks can be divided into color: on green raids in an aquarium (green-brown), white raids in an aquarium (whitish) or aquarium mucus.
How to deal with them. Simple enough!
Relative to green scale on the walls of the aquarium, which can also be formed and the decorations of the aquarium (artificial plants, stone). This plaque is caused by excessive “water blooming” – the formation of an uncontrolled amount of algae.
This plaque is caused by the lack of care for the aquarium and as a result of an excess of organic matter (ammonia decomposition products).
Remedy: clean the aquarium, replace the aquarium water with fresh water, turn off (do not turn on the backlight), increase the filtration and aeration of the aquarium; in the pet store you can buy tablets from flowering – from algae. I will cite as an example, one of them – TETRA tablets for algae control.
TetraAqua AlgoStop depo – These are soluble pills for controlling algae development. Effectively destroys various algae in freshwater aquariums, including black beard ” and blue-green algae, and also prevents their further growth.
Mode of application: Tablets are placed on the ground in the free flow area. The drug lasts for 6 weeks, after which the tablets are removed from the water.
Tablets contain a complex of substances that are gradually released into the water. The tablet does not dissolve completely, but retains its original shape.
After 6 weeks, it ceases to release the active substances and must be removed from the water. The slow dissolution of the drug in water allows you to use the active substances AlgoStop depot, for a long period of time.
With proper use of the drug does not harm aquarium fish and plants.
Dosage:For prevention: 1 tab. on 50 l. water. For the destruction of filamentous algae: 1 tablet per 25 liters of water.
The article on other Tetra algae tablets is here!
The above preparations also cope with other types of algae with brown patina (diatoms), filament (green threads), black villi (black beard).
Aquarium: walls, decorations or equipment covered with white bloom – whitish mucus, what to do?
The maintenance of aquarium fish occupation is rather troublesome. And one of the most common problems faced by fish lovers is a brown coating on the walls of the aquarium, soil and plants.
It not only spoils the aesthetic appearance of the aquarium, but also indicates that there are some problems in it.
And he is nothing more than diatoms. They look exactly like a brown patina in an aquarium, and can cover its walls, stones, plants and decorative ornaments. The reason for their appearance can be:
- not enough light;
- wrong combination of spectra of red and blue light;
- aeration of water without filter with irregular removal of food residues and excrement. From this, a slurry is deposited on the glasses, which contributes to the development of algae.
In addition, diatoms are very often formed in new aquariums and disappear on their own after 2-3 weeks.
But to answer the question of why a raid appeared in your aquarium, you need to try it yourself by analyzing a specific situation.