maintenance, care, compatibility
- Algae “black beard” are removed by chemical preparations – boric and brown acid, antibiotics. The first two tools are very effective, but will harm fish and other broadleaf plants.
- The biological method is to run into the tank of fish that eat black algae: Labo, Siamese seaweed, Catfish antsistrus, fish of the family Karpazubye. They clean the diseased plant from the parasite, but do not completely destroy it.
Look at how Stiphodon graceful eats “Vietnamese” algae.
- Changing the parameters and conditions of water in the aquarium – after this process, harmful algae can not live. The hardness of the water should be brought to the level of 8 dGh. In order for the new water that you add during the replacement to be exactly like this, 2 ml of calcium chloride solution should be added to 1 liter of water. The pH can be adjusted to alkaline: this will help 1 gram of food soda per 5 liters of water. The conditions of the water must be changed gradually so that the living creatures will not suffer, or temporarily transfer them to another aquarium.
- Get rid of excess organic matter – food debris provides the basis for the development of a harmful environment. Keep the bottom clean, do not overfeed fish, remove excess food with a net or siphon.
- Replace water in a timely manner – 20-30% of old water should be replaced with fresh and clean water once a week. These methods will not immediately give a result, but you will notice that in 2-3 months the number of black beards has decreased.
- Coal dust will help destroy the Vietnamese algae in a matter of days. Add this powder to the water, stirring until the dust settles. In a few tricks, the beard will completely disappear. Fish should be deposited from the aquarium with coal dust.
- If the indicated methods did not produce results, do daily 10–25% of water changes. New water should be free of chlorine, ammonia, phosphates and nitrates. Determine its parameters using instruments with indicators. Nitrates and phosphates – a nutrient medium for all types of algae.
If you are not able to find out the concentration of phosphates and nitrates in the aquarium, contact the sanitary-epidemiological service so that it can take measurements and analyzes. In extreme cases, take distilled water and add calcium salts to it.
What else is recommended to do to destroy the algae?
- To get rid of the “beard” in the aquarium will help carbon dioxide – buy the installation of CO2.
- Take a solution of whiteness and water in a ratio of 1 to 20, pour it into the water, where you place the diseased plant. The treatment will happen quickly – white will appear from black, then green, in 5-7 minutes the beard will be completely destroyed. After treatment, the plant should be washed for 20 minutes under running water. After that, do not flood it in the aquarium, but put it in a temporary quarantine.
- Remove the plants from the aquarium with affected leaves and immerse them in a solution of 7% of vinegar or apple cider vinegar and water in proportions 1: 2, lower the affected leaves into it for 1-2 minutes. It is better not to lower the root into the liquid, so that the vinegar does not soak into the root hairs and does not burn them. After processing, wash the plant with clean aquarium water, and return it to its original place. This procedure will help get rid of the parasite that lives on anubias, cryptocoryne, echinodorus. The remains of a “dead”, pickled beard will become whitish or orange. One procedure is enough to destroy the parasitic alga. At the same time, optimize the parameters of the water in the tank.
- Specialized stores sell the drug “Tetra Algimin”, which copes well with algae. In a few days, the black beard will crumble, disappear in a week. However, prevention should be carried out after another three weeks, otherwise the parasite can resume its growth.
See also: What to do if the water in the aquarium turns green?
The most radical method is the chemical one, which provides for the use of such agents as brown and boric acid or antibiotics. The tool is effective, but it inevitably harms fish and useful plants, which can even be expressed in their death. The next way is biological, which is to run into the aquarium of fish that feed on this alga: the black beard in the aquarium is afraid of live-bearing carpsit, antsistrusov, labo.
They can significantly clear the aquarium from the thickets of harmful plants, but they will not be able to completely overcome it.
The best way to fight is to change the conditions in the aquarium.
Other ways to deal with a black beard in an aquarium
Algae are an integral part of the underwater world of any reservoir. But in the aquarium, the rapid growth of algae indicates some trouble in the aquatic environment.
Algae begin to develop in large quantities in cases where there is a violation of the optimal balance of carbon dioxide, light and organic fertilizers. The natural filtration that aquarium plants provide is often insufficient to restore the disturbed balance.
Excess algae spoils the appearance of the aquarium. If there is a lot of algae, it means that the quality of aquarium water has deteriorated, which negatively affects the inhabitants of the aquarium.
Given that the algae breed very quickly, and the volume of the aquarium is not so great, you should start to deal with the algae that appear immediately. But how to fight – depends on the type of algae that appeared.
There are about thirty species of algae littering our aquariums. Among them are diatoms, blue-green, filamentous algae, black beard.
Probably, many aquarists encountered the so-called black beard – aquarium algae attached to plants, walls and equipment of the aquarium. Kills black beard, settled in the aquarium, above all, slowly growing plants.
These algae reproduce very quickly, but to bring them out is quite difficult and this process is very long. Therefore, the fight with a black beard should be comprehensive and ongoing.
Let’s take a closer look at how to deal with a black beard and how to get rid of it.
It is very important to regularly change the water in the aquarium, and clean the tank thoroughly. If the contamination of the aquarium is large, you will have to change the water daily. It should be remembered that fresh water should be purified from phosphates and nitrates.
These unwanted elements are removed from the water using an ion exchange filter. The soil should be cleaned regularly from the waste products of the inhabitants of the aquarium and the remnants of food.
Be sure to remove dying stalks of underwater plants. The water in the tank should be hard and have an alkaline reaction.
Do not allow overpopulation of the aquarium.
Do not sprinkle too much food: the optimal amount should be such that the fish eat it in 3-5 minutes. Illumination should be slightly increased, but do not overdo it: there is a risk of green algae.
For good growth of useful plants, fertilizers and enough carbon dioxide are needed. Eliminate excess oxygen by placing an ordinary bottle of yeast in an aquarium.
Use ready-made fertilizers that do not contain either phosphates or nitrates, but they are rich in various other microelements. At the time of the fight with a black beard, turn off aeration, since these algae do not like water turbidity.
In order to successfully deal with a black beard, should be planted in the aquarium fast-growing plants, which also need to cut from time to time. Set the quarantine fish out of the aquarium, at this time disinfect all the accessories and equipment for the aquarium.
It is possible to fight with aquarium algae with chemical means: boric acid, brown, potassium permanganate, or with drugs developed specifically for aquariums. However, these methods have a temporary effect in the fight against the black beard.
Some aquarists believe that aquarium fish that feed on them are an effective way to treat a black beard in an aquarium. The best cleaners are catfish, which with their mouths-suckers can perfectly clean the entire aquarium. These fish are most active in artificial twilight, which can last up to 40 minutes a day.
The aquarium is also well cleaned with ottozinki, mollies, Chinese algae.
If you notice that the black beard begins to lighten – this is a sign of successful struggle with it. After some time, the algae will fall off from their habitats.
True, after the disappearance of the black beard may appear green algae, but they will soon disappear.
A radical option is a chemical one, it provides for the use of brown, boric acid or antiseptics. This method is effective, but it can bring harm to small fish and useful plants.
There are specialized anti-algae remedies, such as Aljefix. It removes algal fouling, and copes with water blooming.
For fish and plants, it is non-toxic and keeps the aquarium clean. Some aquarists are confident that the chemical method gives temporary results and it is necessary to systematically remove a black beard – to deprive it of all nutrients.
To stop the growth of unwanted algae, it is necessary to ensure that all nutrients are consumed by the plants and the beard does not get anything.
To do this, it is necessary to increase the biomass – to plant the aquarium with fast-growing plants, such as hygrophilia, nyas, lyudwigija, ricciya, hornolodnik and others. They will absorb nutrients.
To stimulate them, you can trim and plant young shoots in the ground.
One of the most effective ways to get rid of a black beard in an aquarium is to purchase nurses in the aquarium: ancistrus or a Siamese aquatic system. They will help to significantly clear the water from unwanted algae.
It is important to reduce the feeding of all the fish in half, give them food in smaller quantities, so that they completely eat the food.
It is necessary to ensure cleanliness in the aquarium, since all organic compounds are eaten by algae. It is often necessary to siphon the bottom.
These methods will reduce the amount of organic matter in water. An increase in the frequency of water changes in the aquarium will help in this – at least twice a week, 20%.
If possible, you can still seed the fish in another vessel.
In the aquarium should be reduced aeration, as the flow of water to the algae will bring useful substances.
It remains only to observe how in a month and a half the hair of a black beard will become flabby in appearance, whitish in color. A few days later they begin to fall off, and then all these algae are removed from plants, stones.
If you do everything constantly and do not interrupt the cycle of fighting with a black beard in an aquarium, you can get rid of the algae, because it will not be able to withstand such inconveniences.
In the future, to prevent infection, it is desirable to disinfect new plants in a weak solution of potassium permanganate for a few minutes before planting in an aquarium. After that, rinse the plant well with running water.
If you follow all these simple tips, you can defeat the attack from the alga, and the aquarium will become even more attractive than it was.