One of the important aspects in the design of the home water reservoir is the background for the aquarium. Such a decoration will not only hide all the equipment, but also help to create an overall holistic impression. In the absence of an aquarium background, the home pond looks unfinished.
In addition to achieving an unusual decorative look, setting the background creates comfort for the inhabitants of the aquarium, as some fish do not like light.
There are two types – external and internal. Each species is distinguished by quality, appearance and structure.
The external background is a film with decorative elements applied on it. The film sheet is found in the design of the back wall most often. Among the advantages stand out:
- Low price.
- High assortment in specialized stores.
- Easy installation, as well as the ease of changing the sheet when it is damaged.
There are aquarium backgrounds of the same type, but with a three-dimensional 3D image. Mounted on the back wall.
Unlike regular sheet film, the price is slightly higher.
Internal background is a relief decor of the aquarium. His choice should be approached with extreme caution, as some elements are made of toxic materials.
When buying or making pay attention to the size of the scenery. If the size of the sheet does not match the wall of the aquarium, it will not be possible to install it.
The main feature is its appearance. It looks picturesque and creates a depth effect in an aquarium.
The disadvantages are the high price, and standard sizes that do not fit all aquariums. And also the scenery must be promptly cleaned of algae that accumulate on them.
For example, you can paint the back wall of the aquarium. This is not only the easiest, but also the cheapest way.
It is better to choose dark monochromatic colors, such as black, brown, blue, green. Paint can be taken oil or aerosol for the car body.
Pros: non-toxic because the painted surface does not come into contact with water.
Minuses: the background can be made only before installing the aquarium and then it can not be changed.
Another option is to stick a film photo composition. The film is of different widths and is sold by the meter.
Buy it better with a margin and then fit the size of the glass.
Work needs to be done carefully and carefully, as it will be difficult to fix the misses, especially if the aquarium is close to the wall.
If the film is glued to the entire surface, then the background will be clearer than the non-glued one. Mount such a film can be both outside and inside the container.
In the internal arrangement, sealant for aquariums is used.
There should be no gaps or bubbles between the background and the glass.
When installing the film background lovers most often make the following mistakes:
- Tack only on the edges of scotch. Air and water can get under the background and it will stick or lag in certain places. It looks very ugly.
- Vaseline, soap, sugar syrup, etc., are used for gluing. Over time, the background attached in this way lags behind, especially in places where it was slightly missed.
- Choose the wrong consistency of adhesive materials. Because of this, it is difficult to expel all the air from under the film. Remains of bubbles that spoil the whole look.
To avoid these problems, it is recommended to use special glue.
Apply glue to snake-like glass on previously cleaned and dried glass, spread it with a spatula. Then it remains only to attach and level the background.
Particular attention should be paid to the edges. Be sure to expel all the air from the center to the edges.
Glue from the edges can be removed with a sponge. In conclusion, you need to fix the film with adhesive tape on all sides.
The background made in this way can be changed if necessary in the future.
The third way is to set a decorative volumetric background. It imitates natural materials: stone, sand, plant roots, and more.
It is made of polymeric materials that are non-toxic and, unlike natural materials, do not affect the chemical composition of water, and also have a small weight.
It is installed along the back wall. But often it is placed on the bottom of the aquarium, pressed down with a primer, and plants are planted in the hollows.
The main disadvantages of the volumetric background include the following:
- It is difficult to clean and rinse. Behind the background, water can stagnate and rot organics, which will not add to the health of the fish. Yield: either glue as tightly as possible, or ensure good water circulation and regular extraction and washing of the background.
- It may grow algae.
- It takes a lot of useful space in the aquarium.
- Causes injury and death among fish. Pets can swim between the background and the glass. Exit: close all openings and openings with silicone glue.
Design the back wall with the help of plants (this is the so-called living background). For work you will need a plastic or metal stainless mesh size twice the size of glass, suction cups, transparent fishing line, moss.
Half-meshes should be evenly laid out with moss, cover it with its second half and attach the structure to the glass with suction cups. The moss will grow, it will need to be cut regularly.
The result of this work is a wall of moss.
Minus this background: need additional fertilizer for plants.
You can use not only different types of moss, but also other ground cover plants, such as, for example, Hemianthus callitrichoides Cuba, which can create bright and catchy thickets.
Live background can be created not only with the help of the grid, but also using frames made of transparent material and nylon threads stretched between them. Plants (ferns, anubias nana, mosses) are inserted between the threads.
You can create a combined background of relief and moss. Sometimes all this is complemented by decorative lighting.
There are lots of options, you just have to connect your imagination.
Making a background for an aquarium directly depends on the selected materials, as well as on the ideas of an aquarist. When creating, you can use building materials, acrylic paint or just live aquarium plants.
There are many options for creating the background. The main requirement is the selection of non-toxic materials that can harm the inhabitants of the aquarium.
This method is suitable for people with non-standard sizes of household tanks, as the volume backgrounds for the aquarium from pet stores are made of the same size. Consider a few ways.
To create your own foam plastic decoration you will need:
- Acrylic paint.
- Polyfoam sheet.
- Stationery knife.
- Silicone glue.
- Tile adhesive
While working, follow the following procedure:
- The foam sheet is cracked into uneven pieces, and glued together based on the area of the back wall of the aquarium.
- In order for the background to look natural, it is necessary to clean the sides of the foam with a clerical knife. The form of scenery can be chosen arbitrarily, to your taste.
- Glued pieces to cover with tile glue in several layers, and after drying, cover with acrylic paint with a brush. Dried slabs need to be painted with a thin layer of dark paint. To make the stones look more realistic, it is advisable to perform intermittent strokes when painting.
- Dry the structure and fill it with water for two days in order to clean it from harmful impurities.
- Secure to the inner wall with silicone glue.
To make the following background in the aquarium you need:
- Polyurethane foam.
- Epoxy resin.
- Putty knife.
- Soil or small pebbles.
- Acrylic paints.
The work is carried out in several stages.
- On a sheet of polyethylene using a spatula to apply the first layer of foam, evenly spreading it over the surface.
- To make the structure heavier, stones or sand can be piled onto the plate and left to dry completely.
- Apply a second thicker layer of foam, while forming an arbitrary relief. In the second layer, you can install large flat stones to give the design an aesthetic look.
- After drying, apply on the sheet epoxy, pre-mixed with acrylic paints. This step is carried out in several stages because the resin thickens rapidly.
- Further, the background is attached with glue to the wall of the aquarium.
The most economical and fastest method of decoration is made using cork bark.
To work will require:
- Woody bark.
- Fishing line.
- Aquarium plants.
- Silicone glue.
During the work it is necessary to:
- Clean the bark and rinse thoroughly with water.
- Secure fishing line aquarium plants.
- Next, attach the bark to the wall of the aquarium with glue.
The simplest method of decorating is a uniform staining of the posterior wall. This is the easiest and cheapest way. Paint is better to take a dark, monotonous.
Suitable colors are green, blue, brown. Uneven distribution of the applied paint can lead to the appearance of gaps.
Toxic substances used in coloring become a threat to the life of aquarium plants and fish. Replace the background later impossible.
More harmonious is the painting on glass. To do this, you must draw a picture on a sheet of paper, and transfer it to the wall of the aquarium using paint.
You can simply print the picture and place it on the surface to be decorated.
One of the most complex and spectacular ways to decorate the back wall of an aquarium is considered the design of living plants. This type of decoration helps to create a volumetric background for an aquarium without the use of toxic substances that harm its inhabitants.
Before you begin, you need to prepare the following materials
- Metal net.
- Rubber suction cups.
- Synthetic thread or fishing line.
- Decorating material – moss, algae.
Once the materials are prepared, you can proceed to the stage of creation.
- First you need to cut the grid: into two pieces of the same size as the back wall of the aquarium.
- Install moss or algae on the net, securing them with a thin fishing line or thread. Moss must be installed tightly so that there are no empty seats.
- Next, you need to fold the net in half, fixing the ends of the fishing line. Place suction cups on the back of the glass and secure the net.
The scenery will not look very nice, but only before the moss grows. It is important not to leave a gap between the net and the glass when fastening, as some fish may swim under the decoration and not find a way to get out.
So I decided to do something beautiful for my aquarium (for my kids, Aksolot.) I climbed on an Internet, looked where it was and how. As it turned out not so difficult.
Work for two days, a day for a couple of hours!
We take a solid foam (you can any) silicone sanitary. Cut with a sharp construction knife, and we save on silicone, How to cut? It all depends on your imagination.
Large sandpaper process, primed, and smear with a brush putty. I took the front. All work as a construction site. Dries up. primed again, and paint, ask how? everything is again how your fantasy works, I painted it with acrylic paints. black green white brush and paralon.
and after all the work. everything is well primed again. ground also for indoor and outdoor use. All taken from stroiki! How will all materials behave under water ?! I do not know, I will find out later.
Finished work. In my opinion it was not bad.
Making the background is not difficult, in contrast to the next step – its installation. To know how to properly install the background on the back wall is necessary in order for the construction to hold securely and not peel off a few days after its installation.
The background on the aquarium can be fixed in different ways depending on what material is used for decoration. The choice of mounting material depends on the size and weight of the structure. The film can be fixed with a soap solution.
This method is inefficient, as over time the sheet lags behind the wall. More reliable – fixing with scotch tape.
The film is installed on the back wall, and pasted over the entire surface. It is necessary to glue it neatly and smooth the adhesive tape so as not to form bubbles.
For mounting more voluminous decorations, you can use a special adhesive sealant. PVC plates are attached using silicone rubber.
If you liked the video – share with friends: