maintenance, care, compatibility
What else should be considered when choosing the best aquarium.
– All aquarists, in one voice, I recommend to take initially a large-volume aquarium (from 100 liters). It is right, because such an aquarium is easier to care for, it is easier and faster to adjust the biobalance, adaptation and living aquarium inhabitants is better.
In general, there is less trouble!
However, do not think that small aquariums are worse, no! Just such aquariums need a little more attention. And given the fact that many people do not have a living area, it is reasonable to start using “oceanariums” from a small aquarium.
In addition, in a small aquarium, you can “practice” and see if you are interested in aquarism in principle or not, “get a hand”, well, so decide whether to take a large aquarium or not.
– On sale there are aquariums of the round form, various volume. As a rule, Goldfish are planted in such aquariums.
So, I hasten to warn you and say that such aquariums are not very convenient to maintain, moreover, their image is distorted by a spherical shape, and the fish in such aquariums are bad. Often, having suffered from such an aquarium, people make a decorative pot of flowers out of it.
At this aquarium ends and begins floristry :).
– On sale you can also find high, but not wide aquariums, made as aquarium paintings. Such aquariums are relatively inexpensive, but they are not the best for the title of the best. Firstly, because they are hard to care for, and secondly, aquarium fish will be bad in them, because for them the main length and width of the aquarium, and not height.
Height also plays a role, but in combination with length and width.
– The most common form of aquarium is a rectangular, but you can also recommend a panoramic aquarium or an aquarium with a convex front glass. Panoramic aquarium consists of 6 faces (walls) – which gives more viewing angles.
A tank with a convex front wall gives volume and looks more interesting than an aquarium with straight glass.
– When buying an aquarium, pay attention to its cover. Covers can be plastic, wooden or glass.
The main question is the lighting installed in the cover, which, as a rule, is usually not enough for aquarium plants. If your aquarium will have a lot of aquarium plants, the issue of lighting is best resolved immediately.
Pay attention to the fluorescent lamps on them: the number, power and characteristics.
The lack of lighting can be solved in two ways: self-adding lighting (add. Lamp or diode tape) or the initial purchase of a glass cover, and to it the “right amount” of lighting.
– When buying an aquarium, you should pay attention and carefully check it for the presence of chips and microcracks. Consider that even the smallest crack under the pressure of water will sooner or later turn into a huge hole. This rule should be especially followed if the aquarium is purchased through an online store.
Movers do not really stand on ceremony with the goods delivered. Carefully check everything when delivering the aquarium to your home.
Talk about choosing the best aquarium can be a lot, but as they say it is better to see once than to hear once. Therefore, we proceed below to a visual study of the issue.
The best filter for aquarium: types of filtering, photo-video review
As a rule, such a question arises from a conscious aquarist before purchasing and choosing a filtration system for your water body. Of course, it is possible to let everything take its course, as many do – go and buy a filter in the pet store, which is available and offered by the sellers. But, only then do not have to complain about the sellers and regret their wasted money.
Sellers have such a job – to sell the product and it doesn’t matter your fate and the fate of your filter.
Glad you looked at this page! This means that you approach this issue correctly – first read, learn, and then make a decision.
After all, this approach to the business level almost all the risks of acquiring a not-good aquarium filter.
In this article, we will not tell you in detail and boringly the details of the various aquarium water filtration processes, but try to focus on the quality characteristics of the filter and the nuances of its choice, to give advice. To the same readers who are looking for where to buy a good filter for an aquarium, at a reasonable price, we recommend you pay attention to the time-tested aquarium shop ReefTime.ru, there is just a huge selection of filters.
From recommendations we suggest to pay attention to a line of filters from Hydor, details of which are written here!
So, before choosing a filter, you must understand, and which filter is good for your aquarium ?! For this you need to think about what fish, what plants will live in your pond, how many will be.
If the aquarium is large, there will be a large number of large fish swimming in it, there will be a lot of plants, then the filter should cope with this and most effectively remove all “sewage” from the aquarium water. But, if it is a small aquarium, and you are not going to breed “sharks” in it, then I personally do not see any reason to take a filter with a powerful filter, you can do with a “standard” filter and thus save a considerable amount of money.
I think everything is clear here, so let’s move on to the next question.
Before buying an aquarium filter, you need to find out what filtering mechanism is used in it.
There are four MAIN TYPES OF AQUARIUM WATER FILTRATION:
– MECHANICAL FILTRATION;
– CHEMICAL FILTRATION;
– BIOLOGICAL FILTRATION;
– COMBINED FILTRATION;
Let’s briefly review the principles of each filter with a specific type of water filtration.
Biofilters filters and aquarium biological filtration
So let’s summarize the above. If you have a small pond and not very big fish, then your choice is a mechanical filter.
Such filters are not expensive, easy to operate and clean. But, if you have a large aquarium, large fish or just a lot of them, then our recommendation for you is to choose a combined filter with the presence of biofiltration.
Such a filter is more expensive, more difficult to clean, but it will serve you well.
For those who still want to do mathematics or want to make an aquarium filter on their own, here is the formula for calculating the power of the aquarium filter
Buying a good aquarium filter, you should also pay attention to its technical characteristics. In a word on power. The power of the filter is determined by its ability to pass a certain amount of water for a certain period of time.
Usually 300l./hour is written on the filter pack, 1000l./hour – pay attention to this.
If you do not want to bother with the calculation of the necessary filter capacity, then you can simply look at the recommended aquarium volumes for this filter, which are written by the manufacturers on the packaging, for example, “designed for a volume of 150l.”. However, this figure is not always true.
Therefore, we advise you to take a filter with a “recommended volume” mark an order of magnitude higher.
A rather important technical characteristic of the filter is its “noise”. Good aquarium filters are noisy, but quiet.
Agree, I would not like to hear the roar of the motor from the aquarium at night, as if “a flock of night bikers travels around your bed.” If possible, do not take Chinese aquarium filters or filters of unclear brands.
Trademarks that have proven themselves in the market, try to make their products high-quality and silent, but such filters are much more expensive than Chinese. It is very difficult to recommend you a particular firm – there are many of them, and they are not always “branded”.
But, based on my own experience, I dare to draw your attention to the AquaEL TM – a combination of price and quality.
There is still a small aspect of the technical part of the aquarium filter – this is its assembly and disassembly and accessories. Some filters, even mechanical ones, are equipped with two containers, some with one, some are equipped with additional nozzles for aeration and other gadgets, others are not.
Some are easy to disassemble and clean, others are difficult. Therefore, choosing the best aquarium filter in the store, at least turn it in your hands, look at the accessories, think about whether you need them or not.
Now let’s consider the issue of choosing an aquarium filter based on its location.
ALL POPULAR AQUARIUM FILTERS CAN BE DIVIDED INTO:
– INTERNAL FILTERS;
– EXTERNAL FILTERS;
– This is a compromise between the internal and external filter. The hybrid of both is “hanging from the outside, but working inside.”
These filters are not so popular among aquarists, because they work according to the principle “not yours is not yours,” perhaps its only distinguishing advantage is compactness and space preservation both in and under the aquarium.
So, summing up the above, we can recommend internal filters for small, medium and not very large aquariums (up to 200 liters). For large aquariums, external aquarium filters will be good.
Of course, this statement is relative, because no one has yet canceled individual aspects and wishes.
Concluding this article, I would like to note that there are other methods, mechanisms for filtering aquarium water, such as – a bottom filter or “false”. Such methods are less popular and have a number of advantages and disadvantages.
In the future, if necessary, you can make them yourself.
I want to believe that this article has helped you determine the choice of the best aquarium filter. But, remember that no even the coolest filter will not replace the banal weekly replacement of aquarium water.
AQUARIUM WATER SUBSTITUTE IS THE BEST FILTRATION
And let’s discuss with you such an important question as the arrangement of the aquarium bottom.
Such a question arises only at the initial stage of arrangement of the aquarium world – with the purchase of an aquarium. In the future, this topic becomes irrelevant and falls.
But, often, at the beginning of time, mistakes made at the very beginning make themselves felt, as a result of which everything has to be corrected.
The purpose of this article will be to draw the reader’s attention to the main accents and nuances of the selection, acquisition, preparation and placement of aquarium soil, as well as decorating the bottom of the underwater world.
CHOICE OF AQUARIUM GROUND
Both the foundation for the house and the aquarium soil play a crucial role in the life of the aquarium!
Novice aquarists very often pay attention only to the decorative properties of the soil and miss its most important function. Aquarian soil is a unique biological filter, powerful and irreplaceable by nothing else.
The fact is that after the launch of the aquarium in the ground colonies of beneficial bacteria settle, which process the waste products (hereinafter – PJ) of hydrobionts (hydrobionts – marine and freshwater organisms constantly living in the aquatic environment) into harmless substances. This process is also called the ammonia cycle – the cycle of transition of PJ into ammonia and then to its decomposition products – nitrites, nitrates.
In addition to biological filtration, the soil performs mechanical filtration. In addition, the soil is a substrate for rooting and feeding plants through the root system, the place of life of many microorganisms and some fish. The soil is even able to change the parameters of water in the right direction.
That is why the choice of aquarium soil is of paramount importance! Quality, properly selected soil – is the key to a long and successful life of the aquarium!
Now imagine this situation. A novice, following stereotypes, takes a white, dyed, coarse-grained soil and puts it into the aquarium a couple of centimeters thick. Scatters seashells from above for beauty.
What problems? Everyone has their own tastes and preferences. We do not in any way impose our position, but here are just some of the disadvantages of this situation:
1. Painted soil is not a porous material, that is, it has a minimum amount of usable area for colonization of beneficial bacteria. As a result, minimization of biological filtration in the soil and the accumulation of PJ in water.
2. The soil is laid in a thin layer, which also reduces its effectiveness.
3. Everyone knows that white color is very easily soiled. Over time, your ground will become light coffee, and if there is a surplus of algae in the aquarium, then green shades on the ground are not excluded. In addition, many drugs for the treatment of fish are synthetic dyes – methylene blue, malachite green.
After applying them, the white primer is painted in the appropriate color. That is, the original aesthetic goal pursued by an aquarist is lost.
4. White painted primer is neutral in most cases, which is not the case for shells laid for beauty. They increase the hardness of the water, and this quality badly affects the life of aquarium plants and “soft-water” aquarium fish.
5. If the white soil is of natural origin, then, as a rule, it is rounded marble, and marble comes from limestone, which is perfectly soluble with organic acids, thereby increasing the rigidity of the aquarium water. Therefore, this soil can only be used for “hard water” fish.
So, from the above, a novice aquarist needs to draw the following conclusions:
– carefully, to the smallest detail, think about how you want to see your aquarium,
– collect and analyze information on hydrobionts that you plan to inhabit,
– think carefully design.
And only after that, proceed to the selection and purchase of soil under the relevant requests. The benefit of the aquarium market now offers a wide range.
The key to a successful selection of aquarium soil and arrangement of the bottom of the aquarium is a clear view of the goals, objectives of the aquarium, as well as a common vision of the underwater kingdom.
In order to navigate, answer the following questions:
– Who will live in the aquarium, what fish, what crustaceans?
– Will there be live plants in your tank?
– What color range will your aquarium (lighting, background, general decor)?
– In the end, calculate the amount of aquarium soil needed for the entire aquarium sanding?
Answers to these questions will help you make the right choice.
Selection of ground flooring for aquarium fish
It should be understood that aquarium soil for fish and for living plants are two different things. But, since most of the aquariums are being set up specifically for fish, apart from the “Dutch aquarium”, we will begin with them.
Choosing aquarium soil for fish, you must take into account their characteristics and habits. Here in this small article is a couple of examples of the relationship of Goldfish and Cichlids to aquarium soil. GROUND IN THE AQUARIUM: what kind of soil is better for an aquarium!
In general, it can be said that small fish can be laid fine-grained soil, and large large or mixed. But there are exceptions.
For example, the aforementioned goldfish, even in the period of “youth” – when they are small, they dig very much and dig at the bottom. And if they lay sand or small pebbles, the aquarium will always be muddy, not to mention the fact that fish will swallow such a soil, from which they can die.
As an example, the importance of taking into account the characteristics of fish can also give an example of the characteristics of loach fish, for example, Acantoftalmus. These fish are the bottom inhabitants of the aquarium and love to dig into the ground.
If you lay a coarse-grained soil in the aquarium, then aquantophthalmos will be “hollowed out like a wall”. Of course, they will certainly not be killed, but they will not feel exactly comfortable, because you have deprived them of natural conditions and disturbed their lifestyle.
If you do not know the habits of the fish that you want to take – consult with the seller of the pet store beforehand, but rather read books or fish information on the Internet site.
The color scheme of the bottom for the fish.I think in this matter you decide. Analyzing data from the Internet, I would like to say that many recommend taking a dark ground, supposedly fish on it can be seen better.
I do not know, did not check, I originally had a bed of dark blue soil. But it seems to me that the pink ground for pink fish is overkill.
There must be a contrast.
The thickness of the soil layer for fishdoes not play a special role.
Selection of bottom flooring – soil for aquarium plants As already mentioned, there is a significant difference between the soil for fish and the soil for aquarium plants. Aquarium plants use the bottom and bottom of the aquarium as a substrate for rooting and feeding.
Thus, the soil for plants should perform not only decorative functions, but also the above.
As a general rule, the soil for aquarium plants should be fine-grained or medium-grained (up to 5 mm). In any case, in this matter you should start from the power of the root system of aquarium plants, which will be in your aquarium.
An underdeveloped horse system requires fine-grained soil; for a strong root system, a medium or even coarse-grained fraction can be used.
The color scheme of soil for aquarium plants. It is said that for aquarium plants the ground should be dark, saying that the plants like warm ground, and the dark color of the bottom contributes to its warming.
I do not know, I do not know, it seems to me that this factor is so insignificant that you should not pay attention to it. Moreover, the total heating of the aquarium for plants is enough.
The thickness of the aquarium soil for plants. It should be from 5 to 7 cm. More.
Again, proceed from the size of the plant root system. The above bottom thickness is suitable for most aquarium plants.
One of the most important factors of soil for plants is its nutritional value. Most aquarium plants get nutrients from the ground. Therefore, it must be enriched by them.
You can put peat, lumps of clay in the soil, as well as introduce special preparations that are sold in the pet store. You can read more about all this in this article. AQUARIUM PLANTS: let’s talk about the benefits of plants for your aquarium! and Soil for aquarium plants!
Additional recommendations when choosing a soil
Choosing a primer in a pet store, pay attention to what it is made of. The best soil is a natural, natural soil, unpainted with nothing.
For example, this color primer is not very good.
Preparation of aquarium soil Before you fill the aquarium bottom with soil, you need to prepare it. If you use the soil collected “on the street” it must be washed and boiled, so that any infection did not get into the aquarium.
The soil purchased at the pet store is also washed or doused with boiling water.
A big mistake for novice aquarists is to wash the aquarium soil with soap or domesticostos. This is not worth doing, as it is very difficult to wash the chemistry out of the soil, as much as redder, it will take a lot of time and effort.
After the procedures, the soil, without waiting until it dries, can be poured to the bottom of the aquarium.
PLACEMENT OF THE AQUARIUM GROUND
As a rule, the soil in the aquarium is placed evenly. But you can distribute it so that it rises from the front wall of the aquarium to the back.
This option of the bottom of the bogie will add volume and will look more impressive.
Many novice aquarists, sometimes spread out of the soil of different colors of the drawings at the bottom of the aquarium (tracks, sun and other compositions). Such drawings are not durable – the soil is gradually mixed and as a result nothing remains of the sun. There is nothing bad in this, of course.
However, in the end, you can get a soil of a brownish color, which can spoil the overall appearance of the aquarium.
After the distribution of the soil, I install the decor, fill the aquarium, plant the plants and feed.
– If you decide not to buy soil at the pet store, but do it yourself, you should consider that in such cases it is better to use gray sand or dark-colored gravel, which is taken from an environmentally friendly source (you should not take sand from the public beach). Also for decorating the bottom, you can use volcanic gravel, crushed basalt. It is strictly forbidden to use river sand having a red or yellow color.
This sand contains iron oxide, which is harmful to fish.
– As a general rule, it is undesirable to use soluble materials as soil, for example, limestone (hiss – increases the hardness of the water).
– From the size of the grain of the soil depends on its “silting.”
– As a plant, groundcover, you can use, for example, echinodorus tender, also known as rubra. The unpretentious plant, with which the beginner will cope.
– A full change of aquarium soil or washing is carried out about once every 5 years. Depends on the number of fish and plants.
– care for the aquarium bottom and the ground is in its periodic cleaning – siphon (siphons are sold in stores, you can do it yourself). Siphon is the simplest device (essentially a hose) in which a vacuum is created and due to which all the dirt from the bottom of the aquarium is sucked out along with the water. The frequency of cleaning depends on the degree of contamination of the aquarium bottom (all in different ways).
The soil in the “freshly laid out” aquarium can not be cleaned even for a year, and if there are aquarium plants, then in the soil, on the contrary, at first, fertilizing and fertilizer are introduced.
– Aquarium can be without soil. In this case, if you need plants they are planted in pots.
Summing up, we can say that the most correct, the best soil for the aquarium bottom will be the one that was cleverly chosen or made.
In the photo examples of the design of the aquarium bottom
Video on the design of the aquarium soil, examples of bottom design and cleaning the soil
Every aquarium owner is interested in his device working stably and efficiently, and the fish lived for a long time. An important role in achieving these goals is played by good water filtration.
What is the best filter for the aquarium and what rules to consider when choosing it? Let’s try to figure it out.