maintenance, care, compatibility
It would seem that difficult to care for the aquarium? I fed the fish, and once a month I poured water, washed it with soap and boiled all the stuffing, filled it with clean water.
Everything sparkles the first two days. The fish are probably happy, they only live for some reason not for long.
Of course, we described an extreme case of amateurish zeal, but let’s still examine the basic principles of caring for our little body of water.
Being a real ecosystem, the aquarium at the same time is small in size and is an open-loop system, and therefore unstable. Organic matter comes in from the outside in the form of at least fish food, it is inhabited by animals that feed, grow, produce waste and multiply, live plants that consume some substances from water and release other substances into it.
Therefore, to maintain an artificial reservoir in the form it was conceived – clean, bright, smelling the freshness of a forest lake – some, sometimes significant, human effort is required.
Caring for an aquarium usually takes 10-20 minutes daily and an hour and a half extra once a week.
Daily care procedures include:
- check equipment operation;
- inspection of fish;
- feeding fish (this is a very broad question and a topic for a separate article).
During the launch of the aquarium or when there are some global changes in it, for example, when populating a large number of large fish, replacing the biofilter filler or installing carbon dioxide supply equipment, it is also advisable to test the aquarium water daily, checking the level of ammonia, nitrite, pH and other parameters.
- water change;
- cleaning the soil from excrement, food residue and other waste, siphon, if necessary;
- cleaning the glass from algae;
- washing the filter (not always, depending on its type);
- care of plants (dressing, pruning).
Testing water once a week for nitrogen compounds, phosphates, hardness and acidity is also very useful for monitoring the condition of the aquarium, but in a stable and prosperous bank is not mandatory.
During cleaning it is necessary to turn off electrical equipment. Only an external canister filter can be left on if its water intake hose is low enough and remains below the water level.
As for the internal filter, if the cleaning is ordinary and does not take long, it can be left in the aquarium in the off state. If the cleaning is large, general, cleaning all the decorations, weeding and transplanting plants, draining a significant part of the water, the internal filter is placed in the drained aquarium water and turned on so that the bacteria colony does not die.
At the time of cleaning the fish are usually not evicted from the aquarium.
First proceed to clean the glass. To do this, you can use different devices, each of which has its advantages and disadvantages:
- Long-handled scraper with permanent or replaceable metal razor blades. A very effective thing, but not suitable for cleaning Plexiglas aquariums, as it can scratch them. When choosing such a scraper, you need to pay attention to the strength of the handle (if it is too flexible, you will not succeed with the necessary force and at the right angle to press on the glass). In addition, the metal blade should not be longer than the plastic cover and stick out of it on the sides, as in this case, when cleaning around the corners, you can damage the silicone joints of the aquarium.
- Magnetic scraper is extremely handy when cleaning large and deep containers. Suitable for cleaning plexiglass. When choosing, it is necessary to take into account what thickness of glass the scraper is designed for, otherwise the power of the magnet may be insufficient and the scraper simply will not attract. Using this device, you must be very careful when cleaning the glass near the bottom, so that there is no pebble or grain of sand between the scraper and the glass. They will leave deep and visible scratches on the glass. Usual household sponge washcloth. Many aquarists use just such, but they are made from materials of different stiffness, and some are completely capable of leaving scratches on aquarium glass, which individually are almost invisible, but over time make the glass all the more cloudy.
- The usual bank plastic card has perfectly proved as a scraper. It does not spoil the glass, and its only drawback is the lack of a handle and, accordingly, some inconvenience of use.
Green algae, torn off from the surface by a scraper, if there are not too many of them, can be left out of the aquarium, and left in the water, the fish usually eat them instantly and with great pleasure.
Some aquarists recommend that the rear window of an aquarium should not be cleaned of algae, as it is usually almost completely hidden by decorations and plants, and the algal plaque usually does not spoil the appearance of the pond, and nitrates and nitrites from the water slowly consume. And if you lead several algae fish, then the raid will not remain either on the rear window or on the viewing window.
Now, when our glass is clean, it is the turn of the ground.
Usually, fertilizing plants is carried out once a week, if necessary. In addition, the leaves are covered with algae or eaten by fish and snails, the tops grown from the water are cut off, you can trim or weed out overgrown bushes and grass.
These are the basic rules for caring for an aquarium. Of course, sometimes there are situations when additional, more complex interventions and manipulations are required, but if you master these basic principles, you will gradually be able to easily master all the other knowledge and skills.
Video lesson about proper care of the aquarium:
The main requirement is to form the microclimate necessary for the fish. Experts recommend launching fish to a new “home” only in a week.
However, the process can be accelerated using special capsules with microflora (biokorin, biostarter).
If you have a working aquarium, soak a sponge in the water and squeeze it into a new aquarium. You can just pour a few liters of water.
In this embodiment, the water must be defended in just 2 days. Caring for a new aquarium involves, above all, the preparation of water and the formation of the internal climate.
How to run animals in the aquarium? It is enough to pour water with the fish into a new container.
The rules for caring for the aquarium do not allow a sharp temperature drop. You should warm the water with the fish to room temperature, and then run them into the home aquarium.
Fish do not need excessive care. Caring for them is very simple.
That is why many parents prefer to buy their children fish. It is enough to remember about feeding fish.
Remains of food floating on the surface of the water should be collected with a net. This is done 20 minutes after feeding. Fishes should be fed in the morning and evening.
They are prone to overeating. This leads to their death.
Therefore, do not feed them too much.
Peculiarities of fish species are important
If you are going to purchase aquarium fish, before you buy, be sure to learn the features of those or other species. Many here depend on the type of fish.
Therefore, you need to know the features of the fish you intend to buy. Most fish need warm water.
The temperature in the aquarium should be for some fish ranging from 19 to 22 degrees for others from 22 to 28 degrees. When caring for an aquarium, do not forget about the optimal conditions of the fish. Most of them do not tolerate sudden changes in temperature.
However, there are exceptions. Do not place fish with different temperature requirements in the same container.
For example, gold fishes need to maintain 21 degrees.
Proper care of the aquarium should take into account the peculiarities of behavior in the flock. Some fish require a high aquarium, such as an angelfish.
In addition, these fish lodge in pairs. Choosing a fish, you should consider all these nuances.
If you have aquarium fish at home, caring for them will not be a big hassle.
Caring for an aquarium is like cleaning the house, the same simple rules for staying healthy and clean and regular. In this article you will learn how to properly care for a home aquarium, what important things there are and how often to do it.
Why do you need to siphon the ground? What cleaners can I use?
How to wash the sponge filter? Why and how to change the water in the aquarium?
You will find answers to these and other questions.
None It is very important to wash the filter with water alone.
And it is also important that the water was from the aquarium. Tap water contains chlorine, which kills harmful bacteria in the water.
But he does not know how to understand and also kills the beneficial bacteria living in the internal filter.
Separated water can be used. But here again, another water with a different hardness, acidity and temperature, and it can affect the colony of bacteria.
So the best method is to draw water from the aquarium and rinse the filter and its contents in that water.
Ideally, even the container in which it is washed should be used only for the needs of the aquarium, if you wash floors from it, then the chance that the chemistry will remain in the container is quite substantial.
And it is important not to wash everything to shine, just rinse well.
Despite the fact that some aquarists do not substitute water for years and say that they have everything ok, regular water changes are vital for an aquarium.
The amount of water that is worth changing varies from the conditions in your tank, but on average 10-20% per week is a normal amount for any tropical aquarium. Herbal plants or densely planted aquariums need a 10-15% change every two weeks.
The main task of the substitution is the removal of nitrates and ammonia, and the recovery of mineral balance. Without a water change, your aquarium will look good for a while, but only due to the fact that negative factors gradually accumulate.
For a long time, nitrates will accumulate, and the water becomes more and more acidic. But once the balance is broken and the aquarium will turn into a swamp.
To choose the right aquarium for fish, consider the following recommendations:
- In a spacious tank, fish care will be easier. The products of their vital activity in a close aquarium quickly decompose, poisoning the water. In a spacious tank more water that will be mixed. Cleaning can be done less frequently.
- The size of the tank depends on the type of fish and their size. Before buying an aquarium, you should know which pets will be settled there. Large and gregarious fish require a large amount of swimming space. At 5-centimeter fish need 10 liters of water.
- Attention should be paid to aquascape. This shelter in the form of caves, moles, clay pots, pipes, rocks, snags and plants. Fish with bulging eyes do not need a lot of scenery due to the threat of injury.
See how to lay the soil in the aquarium.
Care for water pets should be constant and quality. Cleanliness is a guarantee of health and carefree life, both for the owner and for the pet. Instructions for the care of an aquarium with fish:
- Regularly make water changes to fresh and clean. It is easy to get such water – dial the required amount from under the tap into the glass container, leave for 2-4 days, bring to the required parameters (check with indicators). Then pour into the tank. In an aquarium of 200 liters, you need to replace 20% of the water; in a 100-liter one, you can replace 30% of the water. The procedure should be repeated once a week.
- Constantly siphon the bottom of the reservoir funnel, removing the remnants of uneaten food. Do not turn off the compressor with aeration, filter, heating without special need.
To preserve the biological balance in the aquarium, experts recommend the following scheme of care for the aquarium.
- feeding and inspection of fish. Feeding should be moderate, it is necessary to ensure that the fish ate all the food for the time set for each type of fish. Feed particles should not fall to the ground, as this may lead to the growth of bacteria. During feeding, you should count the fish, watch their behavior, make sure there are no signs of disease.
- check the tightness of the aquarium and the health of the instruments. The difference in water temperature at the ground and on the surface should not exceed three degrees, otherwise the heater should be checked. If the water becomes cloudy, check the operation of the filters, if necessary, increase the capacity or replace it.
- inspect the algae and plants, if necessary, remove damaged leaves and excess.
- clean cover glass, aquarium walls and plant leaves. If necessary, the plants should be thinned, fertilized under the roots, the excess algae should be removed, the soil should be siphoned.
- measure water readings, PH, KH, DH. Make a water change from 20 to 30%. To do this, use only dechlorinated water.
- clean the filter.
The more competent the care of an aquarium is, the faster biological balance will be achieved and the aquarium will “mature”. The most common mistake is to completely replace the water, or to replace too much water, without emergency.
With such frequent manipulations it is impossible to achieve balance. But we can not ignore the turbidity of water, as well as high levels of nitrates and ammonia. In each case, you should establish and eliminate the cause of violations.
Water filtration should also be given special attention, each filter has its own operating requirements, which must be respected.
In fact, caring for a small aquarium consists of the same manipulations as caring for a large one, but it requires greater accuracy in adjusting the performance of the equipment, calculating the amount of water for changing. Also, with a small amount of water should be with particular attention to the choice of inhabitants of the aquarium and carefully monitor the plants.
You can not overdo it, too frequent cleaning can in the shortest possible time lead to an imbalance, while insufficient attention to the hygiene of the aquarium can lead to the accumulation of toxic substances and the death of fish. A small aquarium should be provided with good filtration and aeration.
Tips for beginners to care for aquarium and fish
Breeding and caring for fish and an aquarium at home is of great interest to both amateurs and professionals. The army of aquarium fans is constantly replenishing its ranks: beginners are attracted by the aesthetic satisfaction of contemplating the picture of the water world. Creating your own underwater garden in miniature seems to be an easy and fun process, because the specifics and fish care for beginners is often a secret behind seven seals.
In order not to suffer a fiasco, it is worth exploring some tips. Then the creation and maintenance of beauty, care for aquarium fish will be a favorite hobby that brings pleasure with minimal financial and time costs.
The equipment necessary for operation includes the already known heater, as well as a device for measuring temperature, a filter and an aerator. Filters are chosen in accordance with the volumes of the home “pool”.
Filters require care, so once every three weeks they are washed outside with water and they pull out the sponge of the internal filter and clean it of dirt. There are coal (it is replaced every month), or primary cleaning (white material is replaced every two weeks).
Lighting is usually mounted in a protective top cover. If it was not sold along with the aquarium, be sure to pick up the lid so that the water does not evaporate and the particularly frisky fish will not jump out.
The lamp should be chosen in proportion to the size of the tank, at the rate of 0.5W per liter. Usually the lights are turned off at night, although there are some types of fish that need additional lighting at this time of day.
Soil plays an important role in the formation of the aquarium ecosystem – all biochemical processes occur. You can buy ready-made options in the pet store, you can use sand, pebbles, glass beads. In the second case, thorough disinfection and boiling are required, and in the first case, abundant washing is sufficient.
Get a siphon to handle the soil in your “pond”.
See how to clean the aquarium yourself.
The water must be separated: the required amount is poured into a clean tank, left for a couple of days, and then it is filled with an aquarium. For water, parameters such as hardness, acidity, temperature are important, which are determined for each species separately and are constantly maintained either by heating devices or special products that can be purchased along with fish. Caring for aquarium fish requires constant water changes.
Do it either manually or with a special pump.
Fish for beginners better to choose from unpretentious species. Perfectly suitable small schooling species (scalarii, guppies, barbs, danios), catfish.
The choice depends on compatibility (it is impossible to settle even one predatory specimen together with peace-loving, for example, gourami). The inhabitants of the aquarium should also combine the same preferences in acidity and water hardness.
In feeding, they follow a strict regimen: once a day, just as much as they can eat in 5-10 minutes. Fish do not feel the measures in food, therefore they are prone to overeating, which means – to the pollution of the aquatic environment.
Caring for aquarium fish involves monitoring their condition. If they become lethargic, change their color, then they are probably sick.
These basic tips for beginners in the maintenance of an aquarium will help you to equip it with love, so that it becomes an ornament of your apartment, a picture from which it is impossible to look away!