maintenance, care, compatibility
Aquarium decoration cannot be imagined without such an important detail as the background. With him home water corner looks much more beautiful, neater and more alive. To choose this element of decor today is not difficult – the range in pet stores is impressive.
Here and film of all shades, which is easy and simple to glue on the aquarium, and finished bulk designs. But still, sometimes it’s impossible to find what the soul desires, and then a simple decision is made – to decorate the background for the aquarium with your own hands.
Before discussing the advantages and disadvantages of self-made backgrounds, it is useful to find out why an internal background is needed. Moreover, you should immediately make a reservation: what kind of décor you will glue on your aquarium, you need to take care in advance before you start planting trees and settling the tank.
The background has a number of positive qualities, thanks to which you can call it an integral element of the aquarium. In general, its background performs the following functions:
- Practical function. The background can be used as a completely utilitarian detail. Especially if it is a volumetric background. If you stick such a background in the aquarium, you can mask the wires and hoses from the equipment and “fill” the tank if you are experiencing a lack of decorative elements.
- Decorative function. Not only the shape of the tank, the exoticism of the plants and the brightness of the fish affect the appearance of the aquarium – it also depends on your decision – which background you decide to glue. Properly chosen decor will hide some flaws and vice versa put an emphasis on the pros, make the coloring of rare and exotic fish brighter, give your aquarium exclusivity.
Variants of making a homemade background, there are many, as well as materials that are suitable for creativity. Armed with quite affordable and simple materials, you can even make a 3d background for an aquarium with your own hands.
The background for the aquarium with your own hands can be made of the following materials:
- polyurethane foam;
- stones, snags and other natural materials.
Making the background may not be so difficult compared to the next step: stick it in the aquarium to the back wall. This question is especially important if you are the owner of a large aquarium, which stands firmly against the wall, and it may be simply problematic to glue the background again.
Depending on the material and structure, the background can be fixed with silicone sealant, glycerin or scotch tape.
If we are talking about the film, then attach scotch – the easiest option. But you need to purchase a film with a margin – so that it protrudes several centimeters from each side of the aquarium.
The background must be taped to the back wall on one side, then neatly smoothed and attached on the remaining three sides.
Glue a flexible background glycerin more reliable than one tape. To begin with, the surface of the aquarium wall is carefully wiped, then one edge of the background is glued with tape.
The back wall of the aquarium is smeared with glycerin – evenly distributing it with your hands or a brush. On the greased surface gently begin to impose a background – smooth out the irregularities and bubbles with a spatula.
With the help of adhesive tape you need to attach the edges – for greater reliability.
A volumetric background made of material that is heavier and denser will have to be attached to the inner surface of the aquarium using silicone sealant. This background must be glued properly, because it is inside, and the remaining gaps can cause injury to the fish.
Aquarium background – an integral element of the aquarium, especially if it is standing against the wall. You can choose a variety of options: attach a finished volume panel or stick a beautiful film with a photo collage.
You can also make the background yourself, having on hand quite affordable tools. However, if you are not 100% sure of your abilities, it is better not to risk it – a poorly made construction can cause illness and death of the fish.
Before starting to move in and out of the aquarium, it is necessary to solve the problem with the design of the rear part. The internal background in the aquarium is of great importance, and it does not matter whether a film or a relief sheet of polyurethane foam was used for it.
The main functions of the background include:
- Decorative. The overall appearance of the aquarium depends on the background you choose. Playing with flowers, you can easily shade both the plants and the inhabitants themselves. You can smooth out some of the flaws in the interior design, diverting attention to the background. You can also add to the look of your aquarium a certain zest and originality.
- Utilitarian. Using the background allows you to gently divert attention or even completely hide the wires, tubes and hoses and other internal inventory. In addition, the embossed background allows you to create the effect of fullness in the aquarium, if the internal decorative elements are not enough.
Below are a few options for the background for the aquarium:
- Photo backgrounds on film, which is glued to the rear window. Usually they have a printed image, and most often they are landscapes (sunset, coastal thickets, the seabed, or something else). But monophonic backgrounds are also popular. For example, a dark blue or black background for an aquarium looks very advantageous, emphasizing the depth of the space inside the aquarium. You can glue it with soap solution or glycerin.
- Aquarium Background in 3d format – this is usually a variation of the first, flat variety. The image on the film only seems to be voluminous, in fact it is still the same flat sticker on the background of the aquarium.
- Volumetric industrial backgrounds, containers placed inside are presented in a wide range and look quite realistic. They are made, as a rule, from high-quality plastic. You can get such a background in the form of imitation grottoes, caves or rocks. The main disadvantage of voluminous backgrounds is that they take a significant portion of the free space that your fish need.
- In addition to the purchase options are very common and homemade backgrounds. It can be a panel made of drawing paper, a foam diorama or a background made of natural materials: stones, snags, etc. In addition to the decorative, this background also has a practical function: it also serves as a shelter for small fish.
- And perhaps the most unusual is live background for aquarium. To make it, you will need a plaster net, suckers for fixing it, transparent leka, and aquarium moss or ground cover plants (cubes, riccia, anubias). By independently creating such a lively background, you will make your aquarium unique and inimitable.
Aquarium decoration – how to stick a film on the aquarium
It happens that an aquarist carefully selects all the details of his reservoir, gets the best fish and plants interesting plants, but he still doesn’t look complete. The reason lies in the absence of the main background.
A non-idea element can transform an aquarium beyond recognition. Unlike most decorative elements, it is attached from the outside and helps to cover all the equipment and unattractive wires.
The ideal is the background, which is in harmony with the decoration of the reservoir and forms a single ensemble. There are several types of decorative backgrounds, each of which has its own advantages and disadvantages.
Types of decorative backgrounds
- The first and most interesting way – painting the back wall. Thus, you will transform your aquarium, make it original and unique. If you have the skills or patience, you can transfer the necessary image on the glass. However, it is worth realistically assess their capabilities. The drawing that you will apply to the aquarium will be very problematic to wash, because stained glass paints firmly enough on the glass. You can entrust this business to the master, but you can get by in a more budgetary way, for example, glue the background film.
- The most expensive option are dioramas and panos. You can buy them, or you can create them yourself. In this case, you can make an authoring panel that will fully satisfy your needs. This will require stones, snags, shells and other decorations to your taste. All this is poured with foam. Beauty and originality are provided to you, provided that you do not need to glue anything.
- For lovers of flora a great idea would be to create a background of living plants. For the plants to look organic and grow properly, you will need a metal mesh, fishing line and moss. Between the two nets is placed a layer of moss, which will then grow and occupy the whole space. However, this background must be cut, because it can grow far beyond what is permitted. If the moss does not seem beautiful to you, or you do not want to use it for other reasons, you can plant bindweed or plants that form dense thickets.
- Scenery-background is located directly inside the aquarium. The truth takes a lot of space and is difficult to maintain. If it is made too prominent, then silt, dirt, and microbes can become clogged in the grooves. Take care of safely removing it from the aquarium, because it will often have to get to clean the algae.
- Background film is the most common option for decorating the back wall. It’s all about the availability and ease of execution. It can be found in any pet store and choose the picture to your taste. Of course, it is better to follow the marine theme with aquatic plants, corals and fish. Such a picture is not expensive, so it can be changed quite often, updating the scenery of the fish. If the proposed pictures do not suit you, then contact your nearest photo studio, where you will print the background from your chosen picture from the Internet.
Choosing a background, it is worth thinking about its installation. The simplest and most understandable is the last option.
Today there are two types of films: the usual decorative and self-adhesive. In the first case, you will have to try to fix it on the wall of the aquarium, and buy the necessary adhesive elements (tape, glycerin or sealant).
The order of work:
- Thoroughly clean the surface of all dirt and polish it.
- If you choose to glue the film on the tape, then stop your choice on the picture, which is somewhat larger than the area of the back wall. First, attach the background to the aquarium from the top and secure with tape. Smooth the picture, and attach the side and bottom.
- Another way – gluing on glycerin, which is sold in all pharmacies. Mineral oil can be used instead. Attach one edge to the tape so that the film does not move, and gradually apply a sticky paste to the glass with a brush. Remove any air bubbles with a spatula, plastic card or ruler. For reliability, secure the edges with small strips of tape.
- For dense backgrounds, it is better to give preference to a transparent sealant. It ideally clings with glass and allows it to last longer for color.
How to stick an aquarium background :: a background for an aquarium pictures :: Equipment and accessories
Aquarium – a piece of wildlife in your home. The aesthetics of its design is of great importance.
Nice background aquarium can advantageously complete the design of a living corner and successfully fit into the interior.
- photocomposition, sponges and cleaning products for glass, adhesive tape.
1. As a rule background determines the overall impression of the design of everything aquarium. To date, the use of photocompositions is considered the most popular and common method of design.
They are made on a solid film with the image of various kinds of underwater landscapes – stones, algae, branched coals, etc.
2. After selecting and purchasing the photo composition you like, you can proceed to the design. backgroundand in the aquarium. First, thoroughly clean the rear window of dirt and dust.
This can be done with a sponge and glass cleaner.
3. Then let the glass dry out and apply a special glue on it. A suitable brand of glue will help you find in any pet store. Apply the adhesive strictly over the entire surface of the glass.
Do not forget to more thoroughly lubricate the corners so that during operation the film does not peel off or deform. Make it a special spatula, which is provided in a set with glue.
4. Take pre-fitted size background, gently attach to the back wall aquarium, smooth and smooth it over the entire surface.
5. Do not worry if background I did not lay down exactly at the first attempt. You can repeat the whole procedure again, peeling it off and aligning it. After background it will be glued, expel air bubbles with a spatula and smooth out small folds.
Do this slowly, moving from center to edge.
6. Glue, which appears on the edges, carefully remove with a sponge. After this seal background scotch tape around the perimeter. Everything.
The procedure is over. Mount the aquarium and run there your favorite fish.