When designing the internal space of the aquarium, the main goal is to make it not just beautiful, but useful for the inhabitants, so that it is as close as possible to the natural biotype. For health and long life, aquatic residents need a large amount of greenery around them, as it serves as a guarantee of protection, provides oxygen in the water.
The ideal option for an aquarium is considered to be higher spore-shaped moss plants, or mosses, they do not require complex care, have an attractive appearance and are resistant to aggressive external environment.
Aquaria is a sphere of human activity that is in continuous development, therefore new species appear not only of fish, but, in particular, of mosses. These plants are ideal for artificially created environment.
In order to choose the right aquarium mosses, it is necessary to know what species of mosses exist, as well as all conditions of detention for each species.
Aquarium moss adapts to any habitat and is easy to care for. Experts attributed them to the classification of unpretentious plants in the aquarium.
It does not matter the strength of the lighting and whether it is there, fertilizers are not needed, since all the substances important for the vital activity of the plant are obtained from the external environment, absorbing them from the surface. The created composition will not change its original form, since mosses grow for a long time.
They reproduce by spores – in the place of some, others appear, mosses grow even on stone or snags. The advantages of using mosses are numerous:
Due to its significant positive characteristics, the moss was actively used in the design of the aquarium.
Moss in the aquarium
These breeding conditions are mandatory regardless of which species are used for decoration, mosses require approximately the same temperature conditions.
- The ideal temperature for keeping the composition created from spore plants is from 20 to 25 ° C.
- Nitrates and phosphates are important to add only when absolutely necessary.
- In the aquarium to monitor the cleanliness inside and periodically remove all accumulated debris.
- When growing plants, new twigs must be removed, otherwise the moss grown on them will contribute to the death of the lower branches.
- Aquarium soil should be, as it plays an important role for all plants and inhabitants, as well as mosses, being a “natural filter” that cannot be replaced by anything.
Without soil, all processes of beneficial bacteria will be minimized, as a result of which oxygen will lose the processed waste products in the proper amount. Since moss eats from the products of the environment, for the existence of the soil is also important.
Excessive amounts of this “natural filter” should be avoided, as with an excess of nitrites, nitrates and ammonia contribute to the active growth of algae, from which mosses die.
Shops offer a wide range of plants for an artificially created reservoir. Moss for the aquarium is divided into different classes, depending on the appearance, habitat. Experts, conducting a complex of studies, identified the following species of mosses:
- leafy leaves.
The first species is distinguished by its lamellar leaves, it is distributed in a tropical environment and temperate climatic zones. Rare species, used to decorate aquariums.
Liver – the most popular spore plant used for decoration compositions. It is small and very gentle.
More often aquarists use the “Riccia floating”, it is ideal for home waters. Stellea species is also used for decoration, it is divided into three subclasses:
This species is the most numerous, and therefore was divided into species. Previously, this number of disputes was not known.
In addition to riccia, the specialists used the fontinalis and Javanese moss, however, they only landed in the spawning grounds.
As well as aquarists, in addition to the above types, are actively used such as:
Experts use different types of spore plants to decorate a beautiful landscape. Mosses differ from each other in size, leaves, their properties and habitat; therefore, choosing a particular species is important to know the characteristics of each.
Consider their description, and what aquarium mosses are used most often.
In aquariums bred most often Riccia, if we consider all species, then these mosses are the most unpretentious in their care. It has no leaves and stalk.
Riccia will live in the role of an underwater plant, as a soil culture in a terrarium, as a place for spawning fish, a refuge for fry. It improves the microenvironment, affecting the circulation of substances. Growing in a reservoir, forms a carpet more than a centimeter thick.
If the green color of the plant is replaced by red, then the conditions become unfavorable.
- medium temperature from 22 to 28 ° C;
- water should be Ph neutral and soft;
- bright illumination with fluorescent lamps required;
- the green mass must be partially removed in order to prevent a large increase;
- in order to avoid undesirable growth, it is recommended to place Riccia in a floating contour.
Phoenix is widely inhabited in its natural environment, has a beautiful appearance: small size and fluffiness, so this green ball is often put to the forefront during registration. It lands on a substrate, to which it is quickly attached, however, it grows slowly.
The appendix can easily be attached to any place, on a grid or snag. For active growth of the phoenix requires additional light.
The remaining conditions of the content are simple, he does not need additional feeding, he extracts all the necessary substances independently.
When decorating their space, it should be borne in mind that the plant grows upwards, and thickets can be laid out on the bottom for spawning purposes.
- favorable temperature from 23 to 28 ° C;
- does not require water of a certain hardness;
- it is necessary to keep the purity of aqua, periodically replacing from 30 to 50%;
- in order to provoke active growth, additional lighting and feeding are needed.
The Javanese appearance is very beautiful in appearance, so decorator decorators often use it. It has long shoots and processes on the side, narrow flattened leaves.
Like the phoenix, it grows vertically, so it is recommended to use for the background or wall.
- special lighting is not required;
- does not require special temperature conditions;
- neutral acidity is recommended;
- does not require fertilizing;
- To the substrate is poorly attached, so in order to avoid floating, it must be tied.
Ricardia belongs to the liver class, can live in any environment. The plant is creeping in order to form a beautiful bush it needs to be cut.
Also, a haircut is needed to prevent rotting of the lower layers, which can lead to the death of the entire plant.
- temperature from 21 to 24 ° C;
- the light should be bright, additional lighting is recommended;
- water is suitable with any characteristics;
- there should be a filter in the aquarium, otherwise ricardia, like a sponge, will absorb all the harmful substances;
- grows to any substrate, however, initially it needs to be attached with threads, then the plant itself will attach to the surface;
- It is recommended that additional carbon dioxide be introduced into the water.
Monoselenium refers to the hepatic form, has a flat shape in the form of a leaf, there is a colony. The plant is gentle, so it is easy to damage. In terms of content is absolutely not whimsical.
Temperature, lighting and water characteristics are not important. To the plant does not float, requires attachment to the substrate.
It can be grown above water, so it is used for a wet terrarium, but in this case the spore plant will change color. The advantage of monoselenium is that they do not eat fish.
The best place to decorate an aquarium is foreground.
When choosing plants for a domestic pond, it is recommended to make sure that it is moss in the aquarium, and not growing in the forest. After the choice is made, it is important to create the necessary conditions for this plant.
This will be the key to the success of the future composition and guarantee its long existence.
The most popular species, as a rule, require the same important environmental conditions in order for the composition to turn out to be luxuriant and beautiful mosses must be kept in the following conditions: