A small, beautiful, unpretentious, but surprisingly hardy fish danio rerio is suitable for both a beginner and an experienced aquarist. A flock of nimble creatures occupy empty niches in the aquarium, emphasizing the beauty of other inhabitants. These fish gracefully decorate a nano aquarium with their presence, bringing movement into it.
If you are new and in the pet store you are offered this tiny animal, be sure to consider the candidate, because he is unlikely to disappoint.
Danio rerio (lat. Brachydanio rerio, Eng. Zebrafish) – a representative of carp fish, originally from Asia.
Inhabits water bodies from India to Pakistan, also found in the rivers of Nepal, Bangladesh and Bhutan.
The size of this fish rarely exceeds 5 cm. Along the whole danios torso there are 8 alternating light and dark stripes that extend to the fins.
The back is olive, variations in color may vary.
Now it is one of the most common aquarium fish, commercially reproduced in large sizes. Breeders worked hard to make this nondescript creature as bright as possible, and they did it.
On sale you can find many variations of this type:
- Leopard. Strips of fish transformed into small specks, resembling a pattern on the skin of a graceful beast.
- Veil. Danio with elongated, elegant fins.
- Albino Completely white fish.
- Pink danios. One of the most common forms. The background color of the fish has a pink color. If the stripes on the body of the fish are black, then it takes on a lilac shade, and if it is white, the danio looks candy-pink.
- GloFish. Danio rerio is the first animal to which a luminescent coloration was introduced using genetic modification. The result was stunning – it was possible not only to get the fish of unnatural bright colors without compromising their health, but also to reward them with a glow in the light of a fluorescent lamp. Now you can find purple, yellow, green, blue, red fish.
Daniloes mainly inhabit the water surface. Their movements are harmonious, smooth and resemble a graceful dance.
With their help, you can populate the upper level of the aquarium, and this site will not seem empty.
Danio rerio serve man not only as pets. In science, they are used as experimental animals, studying the genetics, the physiology of fish, developing medicines, means, the use of which will not harm the wild inhabitants of water bodies.
Even they flew into space, and very successfully.
Life expectancy in small fish is small and rarely exceeds 3 years.
Danio natural color with veil fins.
Podroschennye danios – very hardy fish. If you just bought an aquarium, then this animal is an excellent candidate for the first inhabitant.
These fish are cheap and willingly forgive their owners some mistakes.
But endurance does not mean invulnerability. In poor living conditions, even these crepes will start to hurt and quickly die. For the fish to live for a long time and be healthy, it is recommended to create conditions that are closest to the natural, and it is not difficult to do this:
- Like most small fish, danios are a shy and timid creature that feels comfortable in a company. It is advisable to take a flock of 8-10 tails.
- For a small group you will need an aquarium of 30 liters, while the surface area is more important than its depth.
- Decor of an aquarium for danios is not at all important, but it is noticed that on a dark substrate and in a densely planted aquarium they show a brighter color.
- These fish are loyal to the vegetation, and if you want to get a herbalist, then your plants will be safe. Small danios successfully maneuver between the leaves, so you can use floating plants that will not only scatter the light, but also give your homely pond a more natural look.
- The filter should not create a strong flow, as in nature these fish inhabit standing waters.
Recommended water parameters:
- temperature: 18-25 ° C. Although danios are able to withstand higher temperatures, it is not recommended to exceed the mark of 25 degrees, since in this case their metabolism speeds up, their life expectancy decreases and the likelihood of cysts increases;
- acidity: pH 6.0-8.0;
- hardness: 5-20 dH;
- weekly replacement of 25% water.
Color variation GloFish.
Pick up food for these fish is not difficult. They belong to micro-predators and in nature feed on small crustaceans, insects and their larvae.
In an aquarium, food is unassuming, it is a pleasure to eat live and frozen food, such as shredded tubers, small bloodworms, daphnia and artemia. You can also use dry food, such as flakes floating on the surface.
If you want to practice reproduction of friable fish, then zebrafish is the best option. In conditions of bondage, they spawn willingly, and sometimes even without the intervention of the owners.
If you want to get a large number of offspring, then spawn must be taken under control.
Sexual dimorphism is not strongly expressed, but it is easy to distinguish a male from a female. As a rule, female representatives are larger and have a fuller belly.
Males are smaller, slimmer and sleeker.
A group of fish is divided by gender, and then heavily fed high-protein live food. These measures are necessary for the formation of high-quality sexual products and to prevent premature spawning.
Meanwhile, begin training spawning. To do this, take a small shaded aquarium, the bottom of which is lined with small-leaved plants and separator mesh, which will not allow parents to get to the eggs.
The water should be soft, slightly acidic and a couple of degrees higher than in the general aquarium.
After this, one or two pairs of fish are released into the spawn. Spawning is stimulated by the addition of some cold water over several hours.
The female spawns, which the male fertilizes immediately. After spawning, the fish are deposited.
Incubation lasts from 24 to 36 hours, the fry begin to look for food and swim after a few days. The starting food is the “live dust” and the nauplii of Artemia or Cyclops.
The photo clearly shows the sex of the fish. Above – a male, down – a female.
Danio rerio is a truly peaceful fish, compatible with other peace-loving, proportionate inhabitants.
Usually they get started with the following fish:
- Pecilia. The viviparous fish guppies, swordtails, mollies and placiums get along well with danios.
- Since danios rarely take food from the bottom, peaceful catfish, such as ancistrus and corridors, are excellent as neighbors.
- A good neighborhood is obtained along with the characteristics that inhabit the middle layers of water.
- Other carp, for example, cherry barbs, may also be considered as an addiction. Sumatrans need to sit down with caution, as they can be snooty.
- Excellent danios combine with microgeophagus ramires, since the latter inhabit mainly the bottom, and danios love to fuss at the surface.
- Shrimp and other invertebrates will be safe.
It is not recommended to keep these crumbs with predators, which will perceive them only as a dinner. Large catfish, large American and African cichlids are completely incompatible with danios.