Percylievye fish liked aquarists for easy care and attractive appearance. Among them is mollinesia, which is the result of the work of breeders. Thanks to their work, fish from nondescript natural colors have turned out to be different in color: from black to golden and speckled.
Yellow mollies are especially common due to their brightness and peacefulness.
Mollies belong to the genus of viviparous fish, which means that they do not lay eggs in a safe place, and the eggs and fry develop inside them until they are ready for the outside world. The black color of the fish called Black Molly in 1909 was artificially bred.
It was then that the species from the family Pecilia became widespread.
The area is wide, mollies yellow are able to adapt to new environmental conditions, so they have mastered fresh and brackish reservoirs. But a large concentration of fish is in Central and North America and around the Yucatan Peninsula.
In the natural environment, mollies do not have such a bright color, a more familiar coloring is gray with weak tints of yellow and green with masking spots. But breeders received a fish with a rich yellow color, sometimes with an orange or green shimmer.
Often on the fins and the head are visible small spots of orange. Closely related color has a black and gold mollies, half of which is painted black.
The length does not exceed 10 cm in the aquarium. The shape of the body is enlarged in the center and narrows strongly in the tail and head.
The fins are transparent, sometimes spotted. Especially prized individuals with a tail that has extensions at the ends.
They are called lyre gold mollies.
A post shared by Home Aquarium (@rubka_life_) on Aug 30, 2017 at 2:53 pm PDT
The Pecilliyev detachment includes, in addition to gold, another 30 types of mollies.
The most common ones are:
- Petene mollies. The most famous color of this mollies is gold-black. A distinctive feature – on the fins is a red stripe, clearly distinguishing them from other fish.
- Widescreen Differs in a large size – up to 20 cm. Body color varies from blue to orange.
- Sphenops or coal. Molly, common among aquarists for more than 8 decades. The size is not more than 7 cm. The body is as if flattened, the fins are even and rounded.
- Balloon. The subspecies of latypin are distinguished by a short, as if crooked body and a plump, strongly protruding belly. Fins on the background of a medium-sized body look more aesthetically pleasing than on other species.
- Low-melting. In this species, the fins are reduced, especially the dorsal. The body is elongated, without protruding belly. The most common colors are blue, gray, brown, silver.
The average life span of mollies in an aquarium with the right content ranges from 4 to 5 years. But monotonous feeding, untimely cleaning of the aquarium, overcrowding of the reservoir significantly shorten the life span of the fish to 2 years.
Longer live is usually the female.
Care for mollies is mainly to maintain the purity of the water and parameters for a comfortable life of the fish. For the rest of the conditions, the inhabitants are less picky, therefore they are suitable as the first pet for a novice aquarist.
Weekly water change in the amount of part of the volume of the aquarium. Siphon soil is required depending on the degree of contamination and the number of inhabitants, but usually cleaning is carried out every couple of months.
Full aquarium cleaning is required once a year.
Keeping fish in a flock is optional but desirable. Great opportunities are opening up in the combination of neighbors due to the peace-loving and non-aggressive nature of yellow mollies.
Although the fish are considered unpretentious, but keep them in close and overflowing aquariums can not. One fish should have more than 10 liters of water.
Uncharacteristic features — aggression and hostility toward all those around them — manifest themselves in the cramped manner.
- Temperature below 24 and not above 28 degrees.
- Water hardness from 22 to 28 dGH.
- The acidity of water is from 7.0 to 7.9 pH.
- The salinity of water in a concentration of not more than a teaspoon per 10-liter aquarium.
Yellow fish are shy by nature, so they need a dark, hiding place for shelters in which they feel safe. The role of shelters perform plants with dense foliage. Therefore, land in the aquarium:
- Barclay long-leaf.
- Peristolistics Brazilian.
- Lagarosyphon curly.
To maintain the cleanliness of the aquarium and its purification from the waste of fish in the tank, install a filter. A condenser will help to enrich the water with oxygen.
Fish in their natural habitat live among ponds with a lot of sunlight, so in the aquarium, provide 12-hour coverage. In summer, it is enough to put an aquarium near the window (but without direct sunlight) for lighting.
In winter, the missing light is compensated by additional lighting.
For mollies, the substrate for the bottom does not matter, but more often choose river sand or crushed pebbles.
Unpretentious in the process of feeding and eat any proposed food. But this leads to the possibility of overeating, so carefully monitor the amount of feed given, and reduce the amount of fish if you are obese. It feeds on live, dry and frozen feed.
Their living is suitable feeding bloodworms, earthworm, daphnia. Become the basis of feed for fish can vipagran sera.
Plant foods are also important in the diet. It includes lettuce leaves, cucumbers, dandelion leaves, apples.
Yellow mollies eat muddy formations from the walls of the aquarium and some types of algae, keeping the tank clean.
Mollies in many sources about the compatibility of fish are indicated as a species that has taken root with all its neighbors, excluding predators and aggressors. Fishes are peaceful and relate to the rest of the inhabitants of the aquarium neutral, not showing aggressiveness.
They will get along together: gourami, soma, antsistrusy, neons, rhodostromuses, terntions, petillas.
But sometimes mollies bite the fins of other fish, more often the angelfish. But the fish themselves are also attacked and bitten by other species: barbs, guppies, swordtails, veils, telescopes. A hierarchy is built up among predators, and peaceful small fish occupy lower places in it.
Therefore, life in such a neighborhood will cost the mollies of health, nerves, or even life. Not contain together with cichlids, Clarius, snakeheads, tetradons.
- Gas embolism is manifested by an excess of oxygen in the body of the fish, due to which the blood vessels are closed. It appears with bruises and bruises on the body, muddy eyes, lethargy, anxiety. To avoid careful control of the aeration process of the aquarium.
- Colds are caused by sharp drops in temperature, which is very dangerous for thermophilic mollies. Fish refuse to eat, become passive. For treatment, it is enough to return the temperature to indicators that are comfortable for the inhabitants.
- Ecto-and endoparasites. If you do not keep the aquarium clean, then parasites enter the fish. Golden mollies will fuss, be nervous, rub against the walls of the aquarium and stones, refuse to eat. Treatment with antibiotics or baths with solutions.
- Infection. Aquarium contamination leads to infectious diseases, pets are passive, photophobic, nervous. Antibiotic treatment.
The sexual maturity of fishes and their readiness for reproduction in yellow mollies is already apparent after six months of life. Young representatives are fully formed and independent by this time. To find out the readiness for spawning, you need to follow the behavior of the female.
She carefully examines all the secluded places of the aquarium, looking for a safe place for herself, shelter. Her belly is rounded due to the accumulation of caviar.
Males start to compete with each other, arrange skirmishes for females. During this period, the pregnant female mollies are deposited in a specially prepared spawning tank with water at a temperature of 30 degrees and good lighting.
The female can give birth to 120 fry, more often 70, who are immediately viable and ready to eat, swim. But they still need carefully chopped live food from daphnids, rotifers, cyclops. The female after childbirth is returned to the general aquarium.
A month after birth, the fry reach the size of adult fish and are transplanted into a common aquarium.
Golden molliesia is distinguished by a distinctive feature in fry of the species – they are born not of golden color, like their parent fish, but of a dark, grayish color. Only a couple of weeks later the coloring takes on the usual yellow color.
Yellow mollies, according to aquarists, decorate the tank with their color. They are not demanding of conditions of detention.
But there are difficulties in reproduction.
- Keep with slow or too nimble fish, which mollies are indifferent.
- Do not move the tail fin fish with long fins.
- Watch the diet of fish, do not allow overeating.
- Keep track of the number of fish in the aquarium and avoid overcrowding, because mollies multiply every 1.5 months and without control will quickly increase the number of inhabitants.
Due to the color of color and lightness in the content of yellow mollies for a long time will be the benchmark of the first fish that every beginning aquarist should have.