maintenance, care, compatibility
Check and recalculate your fish daily, while feeding. Are they all alive? Are everyone healthy?
Does everyone have a good appetite? Six neons and three speckled, everything is in place?
If someone is missed, check the corners of the aquarium and lift the lid, maybe it is somewhere upstairs in the plants? But you can not find a fish, it is quite possible that she died. In this case, stop searching.
As a rule, a dead fish becomes visible anyway, it either floats to the surface, or lies on the bottom, the floor is snagged, stoned, or even falls into the filter. Every day, inspect the aquarium, did the dead fish appear?
If found, then …
Any dead fish, as well as large snails (such as ampoules or mariz) should be removed from the aquarium. They rot very quickly in warm water and create soil for the development of bacteria, the water is muddier and begins to stink.
This all poisons other fish and leads to their death.
If the fish is not too decomposed, do not hesitate to examine it. This is unpleasant, but necessary. Are her fins and scales full?
Maybe her neighbors beat her to death? Are the eyes in place and are they dull? Strongly swollen belly like in the picture?
Maybe she has an internal infection or she has poisoned herself with something.
Why do fish in aquarium suddenly start dying?
No one wants to blame himself, so beginner breeders blame the disease. Unscrupulous sellers only reinforce their doubts, because they have a goal to sell expensive medicine and cash in on.
However, do not rush for a panacea, carefully examine all possible causes of death.
Blame the disease is possible only if the symptoms have been noted for a long time. The fish died away gradually, and not just died in an instant, for no apparent reason.
Most often, the disease is brought to the aquarium with new residents or plants. Death may occur due to malfunction of the heating element in cold weather.
Going to pet stores, you should be aware of what exactly you need medicine. Each of the drugs directed to a specific disease. Universal drugs do not exist!
If possible, consult an experienced aquarist or ask a question on the forum, knowledgeable people will tell you what to do in this situation.
Of course, the disease can not kill a healthy fish. Why do fish die in an aquarium? If the death occurred, then the immunity has already been undermined.
Most likely, the first two errors occurred. Do not rush to launch new residents, no matter how beautiful they are.
What to do to protect the aquarium:
- Organize quarantine for new inhabitants;
- Sanitize fish or plants.
What to do if the disease started up in the aquarium:
- Change one tenth of the water daily;
- Increase the temperature;
- Strengthen aeration;
- Remove the carriers of the disease and those who are clearly infected.
Remember which fish you ran at home last. Individuals brought from other countries can be carriers of rare diseases, to detect and classify which are sometimes not possible on their own.
Before you go to the store for pets, think over to the smallest detail, can there be several species in one fish house? You should not rely on the competence of the seller, since the main goal for him is to realize as much of the goods as possible.
A few fundamental rules:
- Big fish always tend to eat small ones (even in the case of herbivorous species);
- Many succumb to intraspecific aggression;
- Some are able to stick to small neighbors, which ultimately leads to death;
- The strong always eat the weak;
- Buy only those fish whose peace-loving nature you are sure of.
Unfortunately, it is impossible to establish why fish die. The death of a pet can happen even to experienced breeders. Be attentive to the fish, and you will definitely notice a change in behavior and in time eliminate the cause of anxiety.
More often, fish die in an aquarium because of an oversight, and not according to other criteria.
Sometimes in the aquarium, the fish begin to die one by one. Their owner makes a rash decision – he goes to the pet store and buys any funds offered by the seller.
But nothing helps. So, why fish die in an aquarium?
There are several reasons for this.
Why does white plaque appear on fish and how to treat it
Dermatomycosis, or saprolegniosis – fish disease, which appears as a result of a long stay in cold water. Other related factors, such as improper feeding, injuries, stress, high acidity of the environment, increased concentration of organic matter in water can cause fungi of the genus saprolegnia and ahlia. Other infectious diseases often appear as concomitant with saprolegnosis.
The disease spreads quickly through the aquarium, being transferred from sick fish to healthy ones.
The initial stage of the disease is the formation of moss on the fish, as well as white threads, the so-called “fungal hyphae”. Hyphae may appear when an injury, cut, ulcer is located. When they grow, they intertwine with each other, and form a lump resembling white cotton.
Lumps are distributed throughout the body, also on the fins. Later, the internal organs of the fish fall ill.
See how to treat ringworm and other aquarium fish diseases.
Treatment of fish should occur in the jar. To destroy the fungus using the drug bitsillin-5.
A dose of 500,000 units per 100 liters of water is added to the aquarium. Before entering into the water, the drug should be diluted in water. The duration of treatment with bitsillin is 5-6 days.
During treatment, the temperature is raised to 25-26 ° C. Please note that not all aquarium fish can move the set temperature.
From the general aquarium it is necessary to remove the plants and decorations, process them with the same preparation. The drug acts only in the dark.
Gyrodactylosis is a disease in which a bluish-white bloom forms on fish. The fins are compressed, the sick fish rubs against the scenery, it becomes sluggish, and their eyes become cloudy.
Also, the pet stays at the surface of the water, moving vibrations. Later the rays of the fins are destroyed, the ulcers are seen on the body.
Affected fish can die from lack of air or exhaustion. The causative agent is a parasite of the genus Gyrodactylus. Its dimensions are miniature – up to 0.8 mm in length, it is attached to the body of the owner by hooks.
The parasite is very dangerous for fish fry.
Treatment is possible in the jar. In the water you need to make 15 mg of copper sulphate per 10 liters of water. In the main aquarium, the parasites will die without fish within a week, so disinfection is not necessary.
To fry did not become infected with invasion, spawning aquarium should be treated with salt for 24 hours.
Trihodinoz is an invasive disease, the causative agent of which is the ciliate, round-crib. At the early stage, there are no obvious changes in the pet’s appearance.
Only it itches on stones and scenery, often located near the bubbles of aeration. As the disease progresses, the body becomes covered with white bloom, over time it will begin to fall off flakes. Gills are covered with mucus, the fish have no appetite, breathing is frequent.
Intrusion into the aquarium can be contaminated with dirty water, decorations, plants, food, soil, sick fish. If there are no fish in the general aquarium, ciliates without a host will die in a few days.
Look at how mollies contaminated with trichodinosis looks.
The treatment takes place in a quarantine tank, where the water temperature is raised to 30 degrees Celsius. It is necessary to include a strong aeration. In the water you need to add salt in the proportions of 20 grams per 10 liters of water.
In the initial stages of the disease is treated.
Ichthyobiasis, or bone disease, is a parasitic disease, the causative agent of which is the flagellate carrier Costia necatris. At first, the sick fish is inactive, refuses to eat, rubs against the aquarium decor. When the parasite multiplies, irritation and mucus appear on the skin.
Later on the fish appear gray-blue spots, developing into a white patina. The gills are enveloped in mucus, it is difficult for the fish to breathe – it rises to the surface of the water, taking the air.
The fins are glued together.
The parasite can get into the water with soil, food and sick fish. In the presence of the host, the flagelor actively reproduces.
They tolerate the disease of fish and fry, which receive a variety of food. The disease is treated with malachite green or methylene blue.
If in the general aquarium with fish to raise the temperature to 34 degrees, the parasites will die. Also, fish can be treated in baths.
Dissolve 0.1 grams of potassium permanganate in 10 liters of water, and keep the fish in the solution for 40 minutes. Another recipe for a medical bath: 150-200 grams of salt in 10 liters of water, and keep the fish in the solution for 10-15 minutes.
It is advisable to transfer the pets to the quarantine tank after the onset of the disease, and to keep it at a temperature of 25 degrees during the treatment period.
Fin rot (Latin name: Aeromonas, Pseudomonas, Vibrio)
A terrible disease of the fish, which may be exposed to cockerels. Their fins are affected by pathogenic bacteria that completely destroy the structure of the fin.
Symptoms of the disease: clouding of the fins, their sticking, the appearance of a white border, ulcers at the base of the fins, the cornea of the eyes may dim.
The main cause of the disease is improper care of the reservoir. A cockerel fish can get sick if:
- Aquarium for fish overpopulated;
- Water changes are rare or absent;
- Residues of the feed are not removed from the ground; the bottom siphon is not produced;
- The filter is bad or dirty;
- The new neighbors of the rooster did not stay in quarantine, or the roosters were placed in an aquarium with sick fish.
See how to treat fin rot.
Even in an ideal, at first glance, aquarium, cockerel fish can get sick. Fin rot is an infectious disease that exists almost everywhere, and it develops rapidly in a favorable environment.
Treatment of fish is permissible with the use of anti-fungal and anti-bacterial drugs, which allow in a few days to limit the growth of bacteria, after which the fish can be fully treated. Preparations for treating fin rot in males: malachite green, Sera Baktopur, streptocid 1.5 g per 10 liters of water (baths), Tetra GeneralTonic (Tetra), Antipar, Fiosept, Tripaflavin. Can be used for the treatment of salt baths: for cockerel 7-10 grams of salt per 1 liter of water.
They can be arranged 30 minutes a day. All preparations for fish should be used according to the instructions for use.
The causative agent of fish disease is the ichthyoftirius infusoria. It hits their body, covering it with spots like semolina.
Every year this disease mutates, it becomes harder to cure. Previously, it was treated by heating water to a temperature of 30-35 ° C, single-celled were destroyed.
Modern ichthyophthiriosis is not always treatable with medication.
Symptoms of the disease: the fish becomes lethargic, rubs against the ground, eats poorly, swims in jerks, trembles. On the head appears “semolina”, which is distributed throughout the body. In males, parasitic unicellulars appear if:
- Behind an aquarium do not clean, do not replace water;
- If the tank is overpopulated, cramped for fish;
- When the cockerel is overfed;
- New plants or fish have not been quarantined;
- In an aquarium for fish there is cool water, below 25 ° C.
Watch a video on how to treat ichthyophthyriosis.
Treatment of fish ichthyophthiriosis is possible with the use of sea or table salt, methylene blue, malachite green. Also use drugs Bicillin-5, Trypaflavin, Antipar, Sera Costapur.
Doses of drugs should be selected according to the instructions. Another treatment condition is water heating up to a temperature of 30-32 degrees, but preventing overheating.
This should be during the treatment of fish. After recovery, the fish for 3-5 days should be in the water with such a temperature, as a preventive measure.
Do not forget to treat the entire aquarium with the bicillin -5 and replace the water with clean.
Oodinum flagellum – the causative agent of the disease. The reasons for their spread are cool water, new neighbors untreated in quarantine, poor aquarium cleaning.
When a fish is sick, gray or golden nodules form on the edges of its fins. Then the scales exfoliate, the fins stick together. Sick fish does not breathe, does not eat, moves in jerks, rubs against the bottom.
The cockerel fish along with other fish should be treated in a quarantine tank, with heated water temperatures. They are treated with drugs Sera oodinopur, JBL Oodinol, Tetra Medika General Tonic, Ichthiophore, Formed or Antipar according to the instructions.
Also replace the water for small fish with clean, process all decorations and plants.
See also: Aquarium species of cockerels, Compatibility of cockerels with other fish and inhabitants of the aquarium.
- Like all the abodes of our planet, the fish need air, they need aeration of water. Always check the cleanliness of the air and water before settling. Fish often die in the aquarium from the lack of oxygen. This happens when you have settled many inhabitants in too small an aquarium.
- But even with the observance of all the rules, sometimes the fish die immediately after settling. This is due to the fact that they have a simple shock of adaptation. That is why it is impossible to release a pet into the general aquarium right after the purchase.
- The next reason why the fish die in the aquarium is the introduction of a disease. As a rule, you will notice a gradual deterioration of the condition of the fish, and the disease will mainly spread to one species.
- Never neglect the aquarium lighting. This is especially true for lovers of variegated tropical species. Light day for such fish should last about 12 hours. With a lack of light, the pet’s biological clock will break, leading to death.
- The temperature of the water is no less important than its composition. It is believed that a couple of degrees will not be able to significantly affect the state of the aquarium inhabitants. Meanwhile, the fish are very sensitive to the slightest temperature changes, so that constant fluctuations in degrees can become a serious threat.
- Fish die in the aquarium if they do not follow the recommended composition of water. When buying a new species, be sure to carefully study the water characteristics that are recommended for it. Water hardness directly affects the condition of the pet, if the water is too soft or hard, it is almost a guarantee of death.
- Quite often, problems begin with the settlement of incompatible species. This statement is true for both carnivorous and herbivorous species. And sometimes only one species of fish dies in the aquarium, while the others feel quite normal. It is likely that there have been changes in the composition of the water, which for some fish are insignificant, and for others have caused the death.
- If the fish die in the new aquarium and at the same time all the water parameters and selection rules are observed, you should pay attention to the feeding regime. Newbies often only get along with dry food and just throw a handful of pellets. After a time, from such a regime, the fish have got enough stomach inflammation and they die en masse. In fact, your pets need a varied diet. Add vegetable and live food to the menu.
Why do fish die in an aquarium: forewarned is forearmed
To avoid such problems, it is necessary to take the content and maintenance of the aquarium seriously. Before you go in search of fish, do not be lazy to read enough literature about the features of their content.
Often we try not to follow such a simple rule and simply find out the details in the pet store.
Most often the reasons why the fish die in an aquarium are associated with impaired content. Always keep on control all the parameters of the water in the aquarium, track any changes in the behavior and condition of pets.
These simple rules will allow you to notice the beginning of the problem in time and solve it in a short time. Fish can not tell you, but in her behavior you will always notice something was wrong.