maintenance, care, compatibility
Snails are no less interesting inhabitants of aquarium spaces than fish. Without them in the aquarium as if someone is missing.
Cephalopods, which include aquarium snails, are not too fanciful in their food. Some of them can perfectly do without it for weeks. However, it is not worth expecting that “ulki” in such conditions will delight an active lifestyle.
This is only possible with normal feeding.
To understand what you need to feed aquarium snails, you need to watch them. They are real attendants: they eat the smallest algae that appear on the glass walls of the aquarium and the leaves of large algae, pick up food debris. This is the “food supply” for snails.
If it is enough, then about feeding aquarium snails can not worry. The only thing worth taking care of is that snails receive calcium, which is necessary for the formation of their “caravans” -cars.
For this purpose, crushed calcium gluconate can be added to food, for example, to dry or frozen daphnia.
Helena’s way of life does not at all correspond to her tender romantic name. The snail that lives in beautiful shells, curled like a cone, is a real predator. Therefore, the question of how to feed Helen aquarium snails is not particularly relevant.
So, if there are other snails in the aquarium, for example, coils, then there is nothing to worry about: they will eat their helens, naturally controlling the population size. You can also treat them with bloodworms.
This yellow snail ampoule is well known to any aquarist. Perhaps, only a beginner lover of the aquarium world, entering the pet shop wonders about this yellow, creeping inhabitant of the aquarium.
This article will help expand information about this yellow snail – “aquarium nurse”. In it you will find answers to many of your questions.
Briefly about the most interesting about ampoules:
– The concept of ampulyaria – includes a whole family of freshwater snails, dividing into clan and living all over the world.
– Ampularia sizes from 5 to 15 cm.
– Yellow snails live 1-4 years (depending on water temperature and other conditions).
– Comfortable water temperature for ampoules 22-24C and above. By the way, this temperature of aquarium water is comfort and for many aquarium fish, so there are simply no difficulties in their joint maintenance.
On the contrary, from such a symbiosis there are only pluses.
– Snails breathe atmospheric air through a siphon tube, but they also have gills.
– Snails ampullaria different-sex.
– The snail has a cover of the mouth of the shell, which is necessary to protect against aggressors and to wait out adverse conditions.
– If there is little calcium in the aquarium water, the yellow shell of the ampoule will collapse.
– When buying snails, it is better to take small ampoules. First of all, the bigger the snail is, the older it is, which means you will have less life, and secondly, small snails are much quicker than adults.
Description of the yellow snail – Ampularia:
Ampulyary to keep in a normal aquarium with fish. The snail is compatible with many species of fish, but it should be borne in mind that some fish strive to pinch their mustache, some fish eat molluscs.
In view of what, I recommend keeping ampulyarii with peaceful and non-aggressive fish, and if in doubt, consult the sellers of the pet shop. Personal experience suggests that ampulyaria does not live for a long time with gouras and some cichlids (as the latter simply do not give the snails food to go). Sometimes, Yellow snails bite even seemingly innocuous Goldfish.
What to do with it? You have two choices: either ampulyarii can be planted, or you can leave them to feed the fish.
If you notice that the snails are “oppressed” and you don’t do anything – you know, there are 1 week left for the live yellow clams.
The aquarium can be the minimum size, as long as it is with a lid. Otherwise, one night while walking into the kitchen, you can hear the characteristic crunch under your feet.
You should also take care of the airspace under the hood. First, snails breathe atmospheric air.
And secondly, ampulyarias, as a rule, lay their eggs in the airspace (for this, the distance between the lid and the water should be at least 10 cm.).
Unlike many fish, ampullar is not whimsical in content. And the water parameters do not matter. Containing the fish, you install them, in any case, the filter and, as a rule, if you are not lazy, regularly replace some of the water with fresh water – this is ample enough for an ampoule.
What should be paid attention to is the calcium content in the aquarium water; if it is low, then the ampulian sink will collapse. In my aquarium, I scattered small seashells, which contributes to the saturation of water with calcium and increases its rigidity.
It is also recommended to add marble chips, limestone chips, in addition to pet stores there are special preparations for increasing the hardness of the water.
Concerning nutrition, I personally don’t feed my ampullaries, since they are in fact omnivorous and are content with the remains of fish feed, plants, etc. By the way, ampulyarias are excellent orderlies of an aquarium, they do not disdain to “stick” to dead fish and other dead organics.
They like rotten banana peel.
Regarding breeding. The stimulus for mating is an increase in temperature in the aquarium and good nutrition.
As a rule, for this they start a “flock” of yellow snails, since it is virtually impossible to distinguish between the sex of a snail.
Well, then. One fine morning on the wall of the aquarium or the lid you will find a laying of caviar, which the female postponed at night.
About three weeks later, the first baby snails appear from the roe, which, by eating the clutch, provide their way into the wild.
It is desirable to set off babies from the general aquarium, as some fish are not averse to try them for dinner. In order not to catch the newly emerged, some aquarists transfer the masonry to a separate aquarium in advance (moisten the masonry, gently shift and transfer).
Well, after that, small ampouleries are completely independent. Particularly caring owners first feed them with pounded fish food.
Photo-review of beautiful photos with yellow snail ampoule
If kept alone, a very small aquarium, about 40 liters, is enough for them. Since snails eat aquarium ampoules, they are very much, as well as a lot of waste after them, it will be right to allocate at least 10-12 liters of volume to one.
Considering that they multiply rather cheerfully, it is not worth keeping them much.
But, since amphulyaries themselves are rarely contained in an aquarium, it is better to rely on a larger volume of the aquarium. So, for 3-4 snails + fish, you need about 100 liters.
Of course, much depends on your conditions and details. But usually, 10 liters per ampoule will not let you down.
Yellow ampouleries are completely peaceful, never touching fish or invertebrates. There is a misconception that they attack fishes.
But, this is due to the fact that snails are scavengers and eat up the dead fish, and it seems that they killed the fish. No snail is able to catch up, catch and kill healthy and active fish.
But fish ampulyarius is even worried. They can tear off their mustaches, such as Sumatran barbs, or even completely destroy them, like a dwarf tetradon, fahak, a green tetradon, a clown combat or large cichlids.
Some will not be able to eat large snails, but small ones will be brought under the net. And large ones will be nibbled at any opportunity, which will not add to their health either.
Also invertebrates can become a problem – shrimps and crayfish, they skillfully pick out snails from shells and eat.
Vision and respiratory organs
In our time, man brought out a large number of varieties of fish, snails, all kinds of mollusks and other living creatures that inhabit the aquarium. Ampulyaria is one of the most popular types of snails that are aquarium inhabitants in our time.
But many lovers of aquatic living creatures have the first and main question – what is to feed these snails?
Most of the snails (including ampullaries) are unpretentious in eating and eat almost everything that their small organism can swallow and digest. That’s about this ration adheres to the majority of holders of this type of snail:
vegetables – cucumbers, spinach, carrots and lettuce, fish food, dead fish, snails and their caviar. But there are some types of snails, which need a special approach in terms of food.
Pomacea bridgesi can be attributed to such snails, – and do they eat such snails in an aquarium? This type of snail is able to digest only very soft food, so the best option for feeding them is a tableted feed for fish, boiled vegetables, as well as canned spinach.
But you should always be alert, because the quality of the water in which these snails live can deteriorate from such food. In simple terms, giving these snails needs food no more than they do.
You do not need to be afraid that the snail will be overfed, but you also don’t need to bring the fact that food remains will rot at the bottom of the aquarium.
But there is a type of snail that feeds on the same food as the fish that inhabit the aquarium. In principle, these snails, which are called acrolucks, appear in an aquarium only if the aquarium is full of food that the fish do not have time to eat.
In general, the answer to the question of what snails eat in an aquarium is very simple, because most snails are so unpretentious in terms of food, living things that they can even eat with bloom, which covers the walls of the aquarium, stones and algae that are in it.
Of course, in the natural world there are such species that are very difficult to adapt to the conditions surrounding them, but they are, as a rule, artificially created by man sorts of living creatures (in particular, snails). Such snails live in an aquarium as just a beautiful object, but caring for them can be much more difficult than caring for the fish itself, so before you get these or other snails, you need to know as much as possible about their life in aquarium conditions.
If you are asked to reproduce the snail Helena, you need to consider some points:
- these snails are different-sex, however, it is almost impossible to determine the sex, therefore, carefully observe the individuals that creep in pairs for a while (most likely this will be the pair you need for further reproduction);
- only one egg is deposited at a time, it is very simple to detect it because of its appearance: it has a small square-shaped shell;
- for reproduction, you do not have to create favorable conditions, it is enough to keep the temperature above 20 ° C and provide an adequate amount of food;
- what can provoke a stop of reproduction is a decrease in temperature, too active behavior of the fish – the calmer the aquarium, the higher the probability and speed of reproduction.
After hatching the snail helena will be in the thickness of the soil, and eat available protein pieces of food. And only after reaching a size of about 3 mm will she begin to hunt.
For the year a couple will give you about 300 eggs, if the conditions in the aquarium are as favorable as possible.
Remember that even though it is a predator, it is not capable of drastically changing the situation in the aquarium in a week. Do not expect all the mollusk pests to disappear in the aquarium right after they are hooked. To do this, it will take about a month, or else you will have to move a larger number of individuals.
But rest assured, after a while in your underwater kingdom there will definitely be no trace of unwanted guests and the situation will improve significantly.
What aquarium snail eats :: what snails eat in an aquarium :: Animals :: Other
Snails live in a wide range of ecosystems. Swamps, ditches, ponds, lakes and rivers are an excellent environment for their habitat. Ampullary can be kept in a regular freshwater aquarium.
They perfectly coexist with most aquarium fish, unless of course they do not belong to the species that eat mollusks. Aquarium snails are gastropods, they have a spirally twisted shell, and on their head they have sensitive tentacles.
In aquariums often contain coils.
The question “Why are cats not a commodity, when there are already reviews about them?” – 1 reply
1. Under natural conditions, the snails feed mainly on various algae and bacterial overgrowth, which are formed in the water. In an aquarium, these fouling have the appearance of various grayish films on glasses, leaves and the surface of the water.
Algae are scraped from the bottom, glasses and ampullary plants. Sometimes they gnaw and tender young plants, but this happens only if snails not enough food.
2. Most aquarium snails prefer to eat dead or dying plants, so that a stable water quality is always maintained in the aquarium. Healthy plants can produce cyanides and other harmful substances that are not acceptable for many species of snails.
3. Ampullaria eat almost everything that they can grind and swallow: cucumbers, spinach, carrots, food for fish, dead fish and their caviar. Since they can only eat very soft foods, they should be fed boiled vegetables or canned spinach. Snails do not refuse from the meat and scalded lettuce.
They can be given and soaked white bread, carefully throwing it into small pieces into the water. Be careful that water does not deteriorate from the remnants of such feed.
4. From the upper half of the foot, the snails make a small funnel and tighten food into it along with a film floating on the surface of the water. After the funnel is almost filled to the brim, the clam eats its contents very quickly.
Then he picks up the next batch of feed.
5. Snails need calcium to build their house, so the pH of the water should not be below 7, and it is better to make it higher, as this is very important. If the water is too soft (low in calcium), then it is necessary to add finely crushed marble, limestone, sea shells or one of the preparations that are sold in pet stores to increase the hardness of the water.
In order to control the snail population, non-eaten food should be removed from the aquarium after each feeding.