maintenance, care, compatibility
Care of a small aquarium, on the one hand, easy, and on the other, takes the hassle. Choose a mini tank rectangular, with straight and smooth walls.
It is convenient to clean them with a scraper, to maintain. If the tank is round, then it will be inconvenient to reach its corners, it is difficult to wash.
A 10-liter aquarium pollutes faster than a 50-100-liter aquarium. Water changes will have to be done more often, as well as comprehensive cleaning, which is not useful for the biobalance of the aquatic environment and the health of the fish.
The main disadvantage of mini tanks is a small amount of water. It does not fit a lot of fish.
There you can settle 1-2 fish, and no more. In a large aquarium, water changes are not strongly felt, in a small one this is a great stress.
Any changes in the biological balance: fish death, overfeeding, pollution immediately affect the aquatic environment. The only thing that can be done is to adjust the water parameters in time, feed the fish gently, clean the bottom.
See how the ground siphon in the nano aquarium.
To care for a small aquarium should be the same as for a large one. Once a week you need to change 10-15% of water, if necessary. So that the fish do not have stress, do not replace the water completely, try to add it in small portions.
The ideal aquarium filter for such a tank is a pump with an internal sponge. The sponge cannot be washed out under running water, otherwise all beneficial bacteria participating in the nitrogen cycle will die.
If you choose the smallest reservoir, then it will be almost impossible to install plants and decorations. Some skillfully planted even in 3-liter jars of dwarf plants, but it is inconvenient to take care of them. In the 10-liter tank there is the possibility to hold a dwarf anubias, a dwarf arrowhead, an echinodorus “dwarf amazon”, a dwarf cryptocoryne.
Plants for a small aquarium are able to control the level of nitrite, nitrate and ammonia, create shelters for fish. Make sure that the aquarium was the ground.
Choose a substrate treated, clean, without paint. Remember that using a regular scraper to clean aquariums of minimal size is very difficult from the layer of plaque.
Now about feeding. As you know, overfeeding harms not only the health of the fish, but also adversely affects the quality of water. All uneaten decays, turning into harmful impurities and bacteria.
Decay products are deposited on the bottom and reservoir machines, disturbing the stability of the biological environment. Fish should be fed, hunger is also not an option. Once a week, arrange fasting days for fish.
Add food to 4-6 grains, which pet is swallowed by force. What is not eaten, you need to remove the gauze net.
Let’s for fish that live in a small 10-20-liter nursery as much feed as they eat in 2-6 minutes. Flakes, live food, sinking granules fit. They sink slowly and do not pollute the environment.
If you live on bottom catfish, they will eat everything on their own. Fish can be fed to their usual high-grade food, without disturbing the diet.
It is important to clean everything in time.
See how to make a small aquarium.
Rule one. Fish for a small aquarium should not be predatory.
Often acquire fry, not thinking what size they will reach when they grow up. Therefore, you need to ask the seller about the maximum dimensions of an adult.
Rule two. Fish for a small aquarium should not be rare and expensive. In such containers it is difficult to maintain a stable desired mode.
In case of violation of the ecobalance (for example, due to excess feed), they are the first to die.
Rule three. No need to get a lot of fish. A single individual, 5 cm long, requires approximately 4 liters of water.
Easy to count: unpretentious fish for a small aquarium of 30 liters in the amount of 7-8 pieces. will feel quite comfortable.
Rule Four. There is no need to start individuals that are very different in behavioral factors.
For example, some fish are constantly moving, while others are inactive.
Fifth Rule You need to start the fish with a uniform filling of the vital volume. For example, territorial individuals may occupy a larger capacity space, which will cause great inconvenience to other inhabitants.
In addition, the fish must be combined vertically so as not to overcrowd one of the water layers (bottom, middle, top).
The most common is an inexpensive fish for a small guppy aquarium. If you wish, you can find beautiful specimens of intricate coloring. Swordsmen of different colors feel good in such containers.
They are red, black, spotty, green. In addition, swordtails and guppies can coexist well together.
Another small fish for a small aquarium is black mollies. It is more demanding on the temperature and mineral composition of the water.
Therefore, it is slightly salted. Particularly spectacular disc red pesilia.
All these fish are similar in terms of housing, feeding and care.
Creating and maintaining biological balance – the optimal ratio of plants, decor and fish for a small aquarium is quite a laborious job. Residents of the aquarium should feel comfortable in a small space.
To do this, do not overload the small aquarium inhabitants.
Fish for a small aquarium is chosen depending on their size and nature. Small fish with a calm, peaceful nature are preferable.
You can combine several species of fish with the same content requirements or create ideal conditions for one breed.
Guppies, small golden and cherry barbs, gourami, glowing tetras are fish for a small aquarium. The aquarium looks good with one goldfish or a cockerel.
Also in such a reservoir, you can settle danios or neons.
Keep track of the size of your pets. With good care, the fish grow in a small aquarium, and it becomes crowded.
Catch large fish in large domestic reservoirs and replace them with young.
The most unpretentious and small aquarium fish with photos
I think many aquarium fish experts will agree that the first place is given to guppes.
Everyone probably knows these fish … even those who have never seen aquariums. We can say that these fish are the fish of all children of the former USSR (they were in all Soviet aquariums))). The fish is very beautiful and unpretentious.
The tail fin is her beauty. The simplicity of the fish is that it can withstand “difficult conditions of detention.”
I happened to see an aquarium with guppies. without aeration, without filtering, without plants, without proper feeding etc. – horror, terrible dream aquarist. Nevertheless, guppies managed not only to survive in such an aquarium, but even tried to multiply.
So to mock the fish of course not worth it. But their endurance and vitality sometimes affects.
GUPPI – THIS IS A SYMBIOSIS: BEAUTY, INSENSITIVENESS AND EASY + SUPPLEMENTS REPLACE ARE “LIKE A KROL” INDEPENDENTLY – YOU WILL ALWAYS BE UPDATED OF “AQUARIUM PAINTS” Read about the GUPPI read more
2nd place Swordtails
A very famous fish, as a result of persistent selection, a large number of swordtails of various colors and shapes were bred. Males differ from females by the presence of a “sword” on the lower edge of the caudal fin.
Swordtails are kept in flocks in a densely planted aquarium. The minimum size of the aquarium from 10 liters (but better is more).
A good volume of aquarium for a small group of swordtails is 50 liters.
An interesting fact about these fish is that the female swordtail can, at some point, become a male, i.e. change the floor. This is due to the struggle for the survival of the species.
HOW AND GUPPI ARE RECOMMENDED, ALL THOSE WHO DO NOT WANT TO DEAD WITH THE AQUARIUM.
Read about swordsmen more in detail here.
3rd place Somiki corridors
It should begin with the fact that all aquarium catfish – a priori unpretentious. Moreover, they are “orderlies of the aquarium world”: they clean the soil and eat the remnants of life activity. The corridors are chosen from all catfish, since
in addition to the gill, they have intestinal respiration, those. if aeration stops, they will live for a long time.
The fish are very peaceful, calm. They slowly swim along the bottom in search of food. In the aquarium they are usually kept in flocks.
Fish, do not pose any threat to other inhabitants of the aquarium.
You can read more about CORRIDORATUS here.
4th place Mollies
Molly, like guppies – viviparous fishes. Unpretentious and tolerant of poor conditions.
Nevertheless, they are more capricious than the “troika of winners”.
Fish suitable for beginners and young aquarists. The fishes most difficult to keep from all members of the family are demanding of their conditions, they do not tolerate low temperatures, some like “salty” water, like bright light, etc.
You can read more about MOLLINESIA here.
5th place Tetras – Harazinki
All tetras are small, brisk, not capricious fishes. However, they will not be able to survive in “Spartan conditions” as guppies. They need aeration and filtration.
You can keep them in an aquarium by a group (from 5 individuals) with a volume of at least 35 liters of water.
You can read more about TETRAH here.
6th place Ternetsii
Very famous little fish. Fish energetic, mobile. Fish get along well with other types of fish.
Somehow my terntions even lived with small cichlids. Recommended aquarium with a volume of at least 30 liters of water, densely planted with plants.
Aeration, filtration – yes!
You can read more about TERNIA here.
7th place Danio (rerio, pink)
Starting from the 5th place TOP, all the fish require unpretentious attention. Tanks are different from them – briskness and speed of movement.
They can coexist with many species of fish, even with fish of medium and increased aggression: scalar, goura and even with small cichlids.
Read more about DANIO here.
8th place Torakatum
One of the famous large catfish of the aquarium world and excellent attendants of the aquarium. Peaceable and unpretentious to the content.
They can be kept in a common aquarium with thickets of plants and a large number of shelters. Fish, do not pose any threat to other inhabitants of the aquarium.
Compatible with all kinds of fish. The neighbors are not recommended only one hundred percent aggressors and predators.
You can read more about TORAKATUM here.
9th place Gourami
Gourami – are medium sized fish. Entered in this TOP due to gill labyrinth – fish do not need aeration, they breathe atmospheric air.
Really peaceful fish, but sometimes aggression. Some individuals taken separately are even very aggressive, as they say, as lucky.
You can read more about GURAMs here.
10 place Barbus
Barbusses are schooling, small fish that can stand up for themselves! If you decide to start a barbus, I recommend to allocate for this a separate aquarium, “barbusyatnik.”
“Pirate” temper, the ability to stand up for themselves – deserve 10th place. You can read more about BARBUSH here.
Of course, the above TOP is conditional – always remember the words
Antoine Marie Jean-Baptiste Roger de Saint-Exupery
“We are responsible for those who have tamed”
We also recommend you to look at the colorful brochure “Popular types of aquarium fish”. This brochure contains all popular types of fish, with a description of their conditions of maintenance, compatibility, feeding + photos.
(to view or download, click on the image)
An interesting video about unpretentious and small aquarium fish
Additionally, we invite you to view a large photo collection of small and unpretentious aquarium fish
Thrown to the wind a lot of money can quickly disappoint those who want to have fish, and he generally give up his hobby. Let’s consider what kind of fish is better for a beginner to have, so that his aquarium would look stylish and beautiful.
After all, there are many unpretentious creatures that look no less vivid and impressive than the expensive specimens that experienced fans chase after.
- Guppy. It is difficult to name the fish more unpretentious than guppies. By the way, it was these gentle creatures that were the first of their brethren to master space, which once again testifies to their undemanding nature. It has even been observed that they love aquariums more than natural reservoirs. True, the females they do not particularly shine with beauty, but the males are pleased with an abundance of colors.
- Danio. Small schooling fish danios are peaceful and will not attack other inhabitants of your small body of water. Although they are pretty bouncy, so do not leave the aquarium without a cap. Try to keep the water fresh, and danios will long please their owner with beauty.
- Barbusses. Considering the aquarium fish for a beginner, we should not forget about the barbs, which number about two hundred species. But they can get a little more calm and peace-loving neighbors, plucking thread-like fins.
- Somics. If you have purchased barbs, then you can share the speckled catfish. They may not shine with charm, but these fish are friendly and take root in almost any aquarium.
- Gourami. Moving gourami differ tolerance and curiosity. It is interesting that for breathing they successfully adapted to use atmospheric oxygen. Therefore, make sure that the aquarium has access to fresh air.
- Swordtails. Omnivorous and calm swordtails are excellent neighbors for most fish. They may live well in a small tank, but they behave better in spacious aquariums. Also, like the danios, the swordtails can jump out, so do not leave your water world without a covering.
Newbies often make unknowingly unpardonable mistakes in any business, and aquarium fish are no exception. There are such types of living beings that need special knowledge and care, only experienced amateurs undertake to tinker with expensive exotic fish.
Our article on which fish is better to buy in the aquarium for beginners will help you make a good choice.
When installing the aquarium, you need to follow some rules. If you are new to the aquarium business, it is necessary to study in detail all the features of the correct settlement of fish. It is important to understand what size of the aquarium is needed, what plants will harmoniously look in the aquascape, and what parameters of the aquatic environment are suitable for all residents of the reservoir.
A full life of the fish and plants will also ensure proper care and compatibility.
When you purchased a glass container and all the instruments, found a place where you put the tank, you can begin to equip it. Before installing the aquarium, put a rubber lining under it, which will give the surface the necessary friction and remove any irregularities.
The bottom of the aquarium is under constant pressure, in the event of damage, a body of water can split the tank. After that you need to carry out such measures:
- Wash the glass container with baking soda by rinsing its walls several times under running water. Do not use detergents and chemicals. Thermostat, filter and water thermometer can be wiped with a weak solution of potassium permanganate (devices must be disconnected from the network).
- Before laying the bottom of the aquarium with primer, it should be rinsed under running water and boiled.
- The water in which the fish and plants will live must be clean and infused. Do not pour water directly from the tap. She must insist 3-4 days to evaporate chlorine. Measure the water parameters with indicators, measure its temperature. Everything must meet the necessary standards. After that, the water can be poured.
- Before planting, they need to be processed in a weak solution of the drug bicillin-5, or in a weak solution of potassium permanganate. Dip the seedlings in the solution for 10-20 minutes. Then they need to be washed, planted in the ground. Very long roots can be cut.
Fish and plants should be kept carefully, providing them with the necessary care in a timely manner. The main rule of the settlement is that everyone should have enough space for free swimming.
Small fish need 10-20 liters per individual, medium – 30-50 liters, large – 100 liters or more.
It is necessary to take into account the compatibility of fish – according to the way of feeding there are herbivorous, predatory and omnivorous species. You can not settle large and small fish together, fish with different eating habits.
An aquarium is a closed space, so weak fish cannot swim far from predators. Beginners can make danios, guppies, mollies, catfish corridors, gourami, labo, cockerels, goldfish.
There are schooling fish, and there are loners, so you need to take into account the peculiarities of behavior during the settlement.
Before you run there fish take your time, create a microclimate for the inhabitants according to all the rules of the launch of the aquarium. Start by planting plants, determine how many and which ones you can do on your own, even on a photo from networks and clubs.
Let’s see what and how many fish, and what plants can be kept in small aquariums.
Successful plants that are optimally planted in a 20-liter aquarium:
- Other plants with small leaves.
Vertebrates, invertebrates and mollusks are excellent for settling such an aquarium. With the right approach, all three classes can be combined in one aquarium.
However, the traditional option is still the establishment of small-sized fish or one medium-sized fish.
If you decide to populate the aquarium with fish, then pay attention to the following options:
- Petushki. Rather common fish, thanks to a unique coloring and lush tails. In 20 liters can contain 1 male and from 3 to 5 females. The cockerel is not very picky about oxygen saturation, because it can breathe atmospheric air. Watch carefully how many degrees outside the aquarium, because the fish is able to swallow atmospheric air.
- Neons A small flock of 5 or more fish will decorate a small aquarium. The photo clearly shows the variety of colors. They are mischievous and picky, which makes them favorites for beginning aquarists. Maximum length – 4 cm.
- Danio rerio. These fish you can get up to 20 pieces in a 20-liter aquarium. Schooling fish calmly tolerate cold water of 15 degrees and very warm at 30. Most often, the fish do not exceed 4 cm in length.
- Guppy The most common inhabitants of the aquarium in beginners. You need to be prepared that every week in your aquarium 2-3 females will produce dozens of new fry. Initially, the process is fascinating, but soon begins to annoy. The size of the male is about 4 cm, females up to 6.
- Koridoras. If there are no sharp stones in your tank, you can release a few catfish into the tank. In the photo you can see small antennae, which serve as organs of touch, therefore the ground should be soft and without sharp corners. They love the company, so from 3 to 5 individuals get along well in a small area.
- Cardinal Easy to care fish. Everyone eats, loves plants and cool water from 18 to 21 degrees. Quietly survive with a population of 3-4 fish per 10 liters.
- Micro disassembly. Looking at her photo, it seems that she was created specifically to keep her in a mini-aquarium. The length of her body rarely exceeds 2 centimeters, and is not picky about water temperature. However, not very popular in aqua stores because of the low price.
- Norman blue-eyed Neon fish have always attracted seekers of the exotic. Small fish up to 4 cm are notable for their quick behavior and mischievous character. How many do not look, and they continue to catch the eye.
These options are ideal for combinations, with the exception of males. If the traditional options do not seduce you, pay attention to the exotic, for example, freshwater shrimp:
- Cherry shrimp. The ideal inhabitant of the aquarium, has a small size (up to 3 cm) and is superbly reproduced in captivity.
- Japanese pond. Individuals reach 6 centimeters, have a gray tint and help fight algae. But, the big minus is that it is impossible to achieve reproduction in aquariums.
- Crystal. Exotic color and small size allow you to contain almost as much as you want, and allow the parameters of water, as it is not too dependent on the microclimate. Minus – a very high cost.
- Cardinal Shrimp for professionals, rare and expensive, but very beautiful.
- Yellow The little yellow shrimp is not too whimsical, but it requires constant feeding. If you allow fasting, it will raise the plants.
As for the question, how many shrimps can be kept in a 20 liter aquarium, it is important to note their size here. For example, up to 50 cherries will live together in 20 liters. With fishes it is necessary to limit quantity a little.
Shrimp can not be kept with medium and large fish, otherwise they will fall as feed. The optimal combination of 10 cherries and 5-7 small fish.
To decorate the aquarium, you can add a few small snails there that will help keep it clean:
- Helena. It looks pretty snail that feeds on other snails such as pond snails and reels. If there are none, then he eats fish food and breeds well.
- Neretina. Spectacular snail, which cleans plants and walls, but does not occur in fresh water.
- Ampullar. Possible, but undesirable option. Cheap, common, but leaves a lot of waste and spoils the plants.
In order for everyone to feel comfortable, try to change 1/5 of the volume of the aquarium at least once a week.